Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    42 or 46" flat screen needed...
    Wifie surprised me with a IOU for a new TV.. So, I have about 2k to spend..

Looked at Samsungs, they have some nice units, but the Bravia XBR9 has really caught my eye..

Knowing they come from the same plant, is the 240 hz rating on the Sony really do anything,or at this stage is it just hype??

And yes, I priced out some of the ones Bill suggested.. I want to watch the Superbowl at his huse

2. Collapse Details

I just bought a 240Hz LCD last week, it still looked pixeled during fast movements. I returned it and bought a Plasma.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I returned it and bought a Plasma.
    I agree. If you want to watch sports on a 42-inch (or larger HDTV) get a plasma.

Good luck!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

4. Collapse Details

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What about the new true LED's?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I just bought a 240Hz LCD last week, it still looked pixeled during fast movements. I returned it and bought a Plasma.
    x1 i havent looked at tvs much this year but last year i did a lot of looking, bought an lcd, then after watching it for a month went and got a plasma, like it a lot better. i have 2 plasmas, one is year old or so, my big one is 04 vintage, like them both a lot, the kids have the lcd to play games on etc. fyi plasmas are heavy compared to a lcd, and they use a lot more power to run.

8. Collapse Details

40 Sony KDL-VE5 1080P 120HZ vs my 2 year old 50 Panasonic plasma, Panny is still the better pic IMHO. Plasma is the way to go in my book. Just regular rooms, no theater room at my house. The true LED's or whatever we like 3x the cost IIRC so I didn't even look at them.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The new Consumers Report mag lists their choices.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

I read ALL of the overwhelming LCD vs Plasma info on the net, disregard all that BS and buy whatever pleases your eyes, that's what I ended up doing.

11. Collapse Details

Plasma is the way to go. LCD's were invented to still pictures. That is why the are putting band aids on it in the form of 120hz and 240hz - most of which is smoke and mirrors.

No such thing as LED TV. An LED TV uses LED's around the edge of the screen to light up the LCD screen instead of florescent bulbs. Plus to make them thin, you sacrifice picture quality, those sets do not have the color spectrum.

Now a full array LED set uses lots of LED's behind the LCD screen for light. Thus those sets allow each LED to change brightness with the picture - which will give better black levels.
    BillR

12. Collapse Details

Plasma's I have seen don't fit my budget, but then again I have not looked at them in about a year.. We are stuck with worst buy and brands mart here now that sound advice is gone, unless you go to the really really top end audio-video guys, and I can't afford to walk in their door..

13. Collapse Details

Madpoodle don't write off us high end guys so fast. I can ussually match pricing on the better stuff if not beat their pricing. One of the sets that I sell that is just a bit over your price range is the Panasonic Premeire. You will not find it at anything but a high end store like Bills or mine. I sell their 50 for 2500 but I know a few guys that sell it for a little less. The Panasonic Premeire is basically the Pioneer Elite. Chip in a few extra bucks of your own and you will be super happy. See if you have a dealer in your area.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...el=TH-65VX100U

Others to look at are LG, Panasonic Comercial (would require external speakers). There are a few others out there worth looking at but IMO the Premeire is the way to go.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post
    Plasma's I have seen don't fit my budget
    $600-$800 gets you 1080P 600HZ 42" plasma from any big box store these days. Not professional quality but just saying times have changed over the last few years. My 1st plasma was a NEC 42" in 2002 that cost me $4600 used and didn't have a tuner in it- my have time changed!

15. Collapse Details

MM the first plasma I sold was a 42" for 17,000 bucks. First 61 I sold was 35,000!!!

16. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    MM the first plasma I sold was a 42" for 17,000 bucks. First 61 I sold was 35,000!!!
    $17,000 for a 42" I don't even wanna know what the mark-up was.
    ________

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    Madpoodle don't write off us high end guys so fast. I can ussually match pricing on the better stuff if not beat their pricing. One of the sets that I sell that is just a bit over your price range is the Panasonic Premeire. You will not find it at anything but a high end store like Bills or mine. I sell their 50 for 2500 but I know a few guys that sell it for a little less. The Panasonic Premeire is basically the Pioneer Elite. Chip in a few extra bucks of your own and you will be super happy. See if you have a dealer in your area.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...el=TH-65VX100U

Others to look at are LG, Panasonic Comercial (would require external speakers). There are a few others out there worth looking at but IMO the Premeire is the way to go.
    that web site sucks when you go to find a dealer and type in your zip all it says is no dealer in you zip try another. Hell i am not going to sit here and type in a bunch of zips looking, they need to refure me to the nearest dealer to my zip, even if it is 500 miles away

18. Collapse Details

Mikes you are correct! I had never used that before, it does suck!! If you are interested in trying to find a local dealer let me know and I can probably find out for you who they are.

Jon

19. Collapse Details

LG 50PQ30 - nice set $899
    LG 50PS60 - 1080p $ 1300
    LG 50PS80 - NICE! $ 1500

The Panasonic Premere is nice but hard as heck to find.

Also the LG 47SL80 looks good too! $1599
    Last edited by BillR; 12-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    BillR

20. Collapse Details

My little brother just got a new tv. He and his wife went to the Ikeia (sp?) store in Tampa. They couldn't decide which tv table to get, so they brought home the brocures. My little sister said that store is huge, and it even has a restaurant in it.