• Clubs and Destinations

Published on 07-18-2012 09:02 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    2. Clubs and Destinations
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Although picking up in popularity over the past few years, the Boyne Thunder Poker Run had been one of the undiscovered gems among the big boy poker run crowd. The traditional Boyne Thunder run has included a trip out around Beaver Island, a distance of over 30 miles each way across what can be a rough stretch of water in the open part of Lake Michigan. This year the course changed to stay a bit closer to the west coast of Michigan’s Traverse, Charlevoix, and Harbor Springs areas. The organizers have found some of the most beautiful scenery to be viewed ...
    Published on 07-07-2012 09:06 PM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

I am pretty sure that was the first question that popped into most of the racers heads when the event was first being discussed. I know it was my first thought, and I live in Michigan. I doubt it will be a question that is ever raised again, certainly not by anyone who pays attention to offshore racing events.

It’s hard to believe from the outstanding overall success, but this was the inaugural edition of the Heritage Coast Offshore Grand Prix in Tawas Bay, Michigan. The organizers had only a few short weeks to get everything to come together and they must have really burned the midnight oil to make sure this event came off as well as they possibly ...
    Published on 02-07-2012 12:09 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    Article Preview

by Serious Offshore

2011 was an “interesting” year for performance boating events across the country. Of all of them, the NPBA-sponsored Aronow Memorial race ranks pretty high up on the interesting scale. After a twenty-one year hiatus, the Around Long Island Marathon quickly became one of the most anticipated events of 2010.

The significance of this race is most likely best represented by the list of its former winners. That list includes Sam Griffith, Jim Wynne, Odell Lewis, Alan “Brownie” Brown and Dick Genth as well as the team of Bill Sirois and Fred Kiekhaefer.

The resurrection of this iconic race was the result of the efforts of NPBA’s Billy Frenz and HORBA ...
    Published on 11-12-2011 12:29 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by Joe Offshore

Don Johnson

At 23 I accompanied a friend to the races at Key West. Awe can’t even begin to describe what I felt as we explored the race camps in Mallory Square. New boats, old ones, wooden, glass and aluminum ones were arranged casually about. Crated engines bagged and ready to be installed for the next day’s race. Engines going in and out, grinders spinning and wrenching in every direction. The sounds of engines running filled the air and seldom stopped. Boats from ...
    Published on 11-09-2011 12:54 AM
    Categories:
    1. Racing and Poker Runs
    3. Historical
    Article Preview

by SeriousOffshore

Being a transfer from the West Coast to the “North Coast” was quite a shock when it first happened. Luckily, shortly after arriving, I met some people who had a lot of the same interests I did. To put it shortly, Fast Cars, Fast Boats, and Beautiful Women. (I won’t ever say Fast Women, but I was single when I moved here).

Well, after getting to know the boating group around West Michigan somewhat, in 1996 there was a Poker Run hosted by Pier 33, a large dealership in St. Joe.
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3