• Boiling on a Bridge for Boats in Sarasota

If you've ever wondered what it's like on a hot Saturday in southern Florida late in June, let me tell you it's no fun. Boden has done it over and over, for me, this was a first. 100 degrees, humidity off the sweat scale, cars and trucks zipping by, (at least they made a breeze), all for the pleasure of watching offshore performance boats participate to raise money for charity and to take their pictures. It was worth it. (I may have to give Pete even more respect for what he accomplishes. Don't tell him that though.).

Based on the way they run, great name!!!

One thing that is certainly frustrating while standing out there is when there is some boats who come off plane to go through the bridge. Then, even those who know the channel is exempt from the no wake rules, have to slow down and come off plane to keep from running over those blocking the way.

Some great boats in the run.

Sometimes, there are no boats for long periods of time. While waiting on the bridge for the next pass of a strong runner, at least there are other ways to keep from being bored.

Of course, you can count on these boaters to end boredom!

And then there are the LaMorte's showing the proper way to do a bridge fly-through!

And some more participants.

The view wasn't too bad either!

An interesting day. I left plenty early to get there and be out on the bridge so I could shoot the noon start. Best laid plans, not only did I have to wait for the same train twice, I still arrived at the bridge parking lot by 11:45. Unfortunately, they started the run at 11: 40 and I completely missed the first batch of faster boats, they were about a mile past the bridge by the time I got out there.

And then some stopped for lunch before coming back through, so I had to wait until they did, since I missed them at the start, so I didn't leave the bridge until around 3:30. The tops of my ears got totally fried!

That Lucy and her group was able to raise $43,000 for charity, in a last minute effort to do something to help those who would lose so much due to the Race cancellation because of Covid19, is truly incredible. Her team should be really proud of themselves!!

I'll add more pics as I get through them. Stay tuned!
    Comments 19 Comments
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      sonicss31 -
      The results of your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.
      Serious Offshore -
      And then, something you never want to see. The very epitome of the wrong way to end a day on the water.

I think he was on the lookout for this guy..

Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Ratickle -
      Ratickle -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious News -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -
      Serious Offshore -