PDA

View Full Version : Lease Question (Need Some Opinions)

Perlmudder
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
So I have been looking for a place to live this semester at school. I found a place and called the guy 2 weeks ago. We chatted and I met up with him the other day to make things final. He gave me a key and I gave him one month of rent. I got back to the cottage and later that night he called me and said that his other roommate had made a deal with some other guy to rent the place for both semesters. I only need it for one semester because I only need to take a couple more courses to graduate. So I told him we had a contract and that as of September 1st the place was mine.

Turns out the kid owned $1000 in rent and the apartment company is filing a lawsuit against him. I spoke to my lawyer and he said to tell the kid to go effe himself. So beyond it most likely being really awkward when I move in, what do you guys think my next course of action should be? Should I stick to my guns and tell him to screw off, or should I just say whatever and find another place. I really want this one because its in the same complex as all my other friends and school starts in a week so im cutting it really close.

Sooooo lets hear it!

Buoy
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
From what I get out of this...

It's going to be uncomfortable, and you're going to want to move out within the first few weeks.
I'd walk away, and find someplace else.
In the end, that's what you'll end up doing anyway.

Or, look at it as... You're only going to be there for a short time, stay calm, and put up with it and keep your mouth shut (considering I know you have some Pantera blood in you, I don't think this is an option), finish your school, and move on with life.
You'll have plenty of time in life dealing with people you don't want to be around but have to because of your job.

You wanted opinions, there's mine.
Good luck Josh!

Perlmudder
08-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Well im going to look at another place in the same complex tomorrow so we will see. If it looks like its not going to work out, ill just keep strong arming the kid. I feel bad that he made a bum deal, but its not my fault.

catastrophe
08-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Well im going to look at another place in the same complex tomorrow so we will see. If it looks like its not going to work out, ill just keep strong arming the kid. I feel bad that he made a bum deal, but its not my fault.

You are going there to get an education, not to be distracted by BS.

You got the rest of your life to be close to your buddies.

You've already said you feel bad for the kid. Doesnt matter if its your fault or not.

Your lawyer is a prk.

Trim'd Up
08-31-2009, 08:18 AM
I would just move out. Who wants to live in an awkward situation for no reason. It's bad enough liveing with someone you don't know, let alone someone you don't like.

OldSchool
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
You are going there to get an education, not to be distracted by BS.

You got the rest of your life to be close to your buddies.

You've already said you feel bad for the kid. Doesnt matter if its your fault or not.

Your lawyer is a prk.

:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

Well said! Your lawyer most likely got beat up alot when he was young. ;) Get your $$ back and find somewhere else to live.

Davidmnc
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Why put up with that chit every day. Find another place.

insanity
08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
If you are only going to be there for a semester why not just crash on one of your buddy's couches or something? A few years ago some friends and I rented a pretty big place for a few years and it seemed like we were always 'hosting' somebody for a few weeks/months at a time. It actually worked out pretty good, the deal was whoever was crashing there that didn't have an actual bedroom covered the utilities while they were there.

waterboy222
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
anytime you get the opportunity to walk away from a lease involving others without having to pay out the nose, JUMP ON IT. Id rather live in my car than in a apartment where the other roommates didnt want me there. Its gonna suck when that guy comes by to visit his friends and you're there.

Perlmudder
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Ya you guys make sense. I'm hoping the place I check out this evening works out. It's a 4 bedroom apartment and one of the kids flunked out and went home. So we will see, the landlord says they are cool guys.

I understand people make mistakes. I just don't but it that the kid had not talked to his other roommate in over 2 weeks knowing he was trying to sublet the place. The whole story just sounds real fishy to me.