PDA

View Full Version : Salt water Vs Fresh Water damage??

slpcamaross97
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Ok Im from fresh water state and never plan on running in salt. My question would be How much does salt hurt a boat say I/os twins with all the good stuff. Now everyone that is in MI and fresh water totally turns their noise up at salt water boat saying that everything would be junk ext.... Im looking at buy a boat and have one in mind that a salt boat. But all the salt water guys could care less about running in salt.

I know the usual of rust and stuff but lets hear you options on salt water vs fresh water.

FastDonzi
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
You can have a salt water boat that has a caring owner and the salt damage will be minimal, Like if they take the boat out of the salt water and rinse every thing down and flush the motors regularly....OR You can get the Non Caring Owner who Lets it sit in the salt water and rarely pulls it and does a half Azzed motor flush job. You can usually tell by how well the boat is Kept/Maintained as to what kind of owner they are. and if you have a chance you can pull the thermostat housing and it'll tell some of the tale by looking into the water passages and seeing their condition. Not everyone will let you do that, but if they have something to hide it's probably a boat you don't want anyway.....

slpcamaross97
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM
wow thanks for the tip about the T-stat housing idea!!! thats perfect.

Keep it going.....

Buoy
08-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I pretty much go with the fact that if I'm buying used, the mechanicals are time-bombs at best. Better to go into it with that attitude than be all broken up if it breaks down. And, If buying new, I expect some warranty issues that are also going to be a headache.
That being said, I agree, a meticulous previous owner, you should have minimal problems.
But, I don't care if it's fresh or salt, you will have some issues somewhere.
It's a complex, yet simple machine.
Look forward to see what you're looking at, I know you've been looking into some good choices.

Ratickle
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I always say spend the money on a good survey, no exceptions. But, PM Ed and let's get his quick intake to see what to look for before making the offer subject to survey.

wstultz
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I could be wrong but after talking to a few surveyors, They seem to find a lot more rot and soft transoms/stringers in fresh water boats than in the salt water ones.

slpcamaross97
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I pretty much go with the fact that if I'm buying used, the mechanicals are time-bombs at best. Better to go into it with that attitude than be all broken up if it breaks down. And, If buying new, I expect some warranty issues that are also going to be a headache.
That being said, I agree, a meticulous previous owner, you should have minimal problems.
But, I don't care if it's fresh or salt, you will have some issues somewhere.
It's a complex, yet simple machine.
Look forward to see what you're looking at, I know you've been looking into some good choices.

its either going to be a single with brovo, or a twin with

Buoy
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
its either going to be a single with brovo, or a twin with

I'm guessing it's gonna be around 28' and have Green eyes...:sifone:

slpcamaross97
08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing it's gonna be around 28' and have Green eyes...:sifone:

One has Green eyes. haha. trying to plan trip to see my few choices

Buoy
08-30-2009, 09:32 PM
You wouldn't be going wrong with a Saber either - if that is the other on the menu - very nice boats, and for some reason, almost related.
I hope you can get it worked out, and I wish you all the luck in the search.
As long as you're shopping, I'd keep my eye out for an old Magnum too. Just another boat I've always been in love with that kinda fits the same "theme" as what I think you've expressed you're looking for.

32storm
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=wstultz;307902]I could be wrong but after talking to a few surveyors, They seem to find a lot more rot and soft transoms/stringers in fresh water boats than in the salt water ones.[/QU

There is no correlation between the type of water a boat is run in and transom/stringer rot. But, no question that salt water is a lot more corrosive environment. Depending upon how boat is maintained, this can negatively impact electrical, brightwork, and powertrain. Thin castings are usually areas of concern including water pumps, exhaust manifolds, and heads.

fund razor
08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is my rule of thumb regarding used boats:

Buy what you want to preserve... because they ain't making them anymore... and you will probably have to replace everything anyway. :)

Ratickle
08-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Buy what you want to preserve... because they ain't making them anymore... and you will probably have to replace everything anyway. :)

So true.....

Buoy
08-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Very profound thought.
And very true for many of us.
Not everyone wants the burden of restoration, but, I guess it all depends on how deep this is in your blood.
It's a sickness that some of us wear proudly.

DAREDEVIL
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Salt water boats are more likeley to rot on the mechanical parts ( drives ,gimbals,engine and so on ) where fresh water boats more likeley rot on the wood and cores on the boat it self ( more expensive to fix) the reason of that is that fresh water carries more bacteria that eat the wood then salt water,,so on salt water boats it takes much longer for that to happen.
If u have a salt water boat that is cared for then the only thing u would need to check is the gimbals and intake,exhaust,maybe the heads if they are aluminum.
If its flushed reg.thenitshould not be a problem at all.
I would rather go with a in good shape salt water boat then fresh water.

slpcamaross97
08-31-2009, 12:37 AM
well hell. so here is a pic of one im looking at owner dont know much about boating.

I see all kind of rust stains on the transom. would you think lake of clean up and flushing? and the drain plug hold is looking beat too. what do you guys think?

wstultz
08-31-2009, 01:16 AM
Salt water boats are more likeley to rot on the mechanical parts ( drives ,gimbals,engine and so on ) where fresh water boats more likeley rot on the wood and cores on the boat it self ( more expensive to fix) the reason of that is that fresh water carries more bacteria that eat the wood then salt water,,so on salt water boats it takes much longer for that to happen.
If u have a salt water boat that is cared for then the only thing u would need to check is the gimbals and intake,exhaust,maybe the heads if they are aluminum.
I would rather go with a in good shape salt water boat then fresh water.

This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. Neither outcome would be good but I would like to find out how true that is. I always buy my boats from the hull/fiberglass condition. I can replace motors and rigging but fiberglass is a different story for me.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 01:17 AM
well hell. so here is a pic of one im looking at owner dont know much about boating.

I see all kind of rust stains on the transom. would you think lake of clean up and flushing? and the drain plug hold is looking beat too. what do you guys think?

If the price is right ,, i would buy it. By the looks of it its only transom problems and i guess this is a fresh water boat. since the props and lowers look fine.
The rust u see is more likeley transom rot and roty water coming from that erea.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 01:21 AM
This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. I would like to find out how true that is.

100% true !!!!! it has to do with the plancton in the water,,and ofcorse the salt.
fresh water has more/diffrent bacteria that can't surwive in salt water.
If a wooden ship sinks in salt water it will stay in very good condition under water for a long time, in fresh water the wood will continue to rot even with out air,,since bacteria feed on it.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 01:42 AM
This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. Neither outcome would be good but I would like to find out how true that is. I always buy my boats from the hull/fiberglass condition. I can replace motors and rigging but fiberglass is a different story for me.

It also depends onthe year of the boats ,,,most newer boats have non roting core matt. or full glass hull bottoms ( no core ). newer boat seats are made out of blastic not wood and transom are made out of foamboard ( which i prefer the transom still to be wood )
Any how ,,it is not that bad.
I replaced all my core inthe boat and the transom, stringers bulkheads and ,,,,,,every thing else.LOL

Indy
08-31-2009, 07:55 AM
If a wooden ship sinks in salt water it will stay in very good condition under water for a long time, in fresh water the wood will continue to rot even with out air,,since bacteria feed on it.

Where do you get your information :confused: There's a big industry recovering logs that have sunk (for decades) in fresh water and using them in applications where original growth lumber is desired. I know, we use it in upper end homes.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Where do you get your information :confused: There's a big industry recovering logs that have sunk (for decades) in fresh water and using them in applications where original growth lumber is desired. I know, we use it in upper end homes.

I guess it depends on the wood aswell.

But its 100 % correct.

Seafordguy
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
If the person is a boater - he probably took care of a salt boat - flushed it, didn't leave it sitting in the water, etc.....

If the person is a guy with a boat - he probably didn't give a damn.

The difference between a boater and a guy that happens to have a boat is usually pretty obvious when you speak to him.

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's an interesting and totally biased perspective being a salt water boater... Since I run in salt water I "have" to flush my engines everytime I go out even if it's for 5 minutes and a soap/water wash down is a necessity as water alone does not get rid of salt... So in general I "have" to care for my boat where as a fresh water guy might get lazy about it because he/she doesn't "have" to. ;)

At the end of the day, when buying boats I don't consider fresh/salt as my purchasing factor, just over all condition.

Don't believe all the hype about the "salt water monster" but yes, it does require some extra care and I actually enjoy it! When I get back from a nice ocean run I'll grab a beer and start cleaning up... Sometimes I even tell my wife to go home or go lay down in the cabin so I can spend extra time cleaning and not be rushed etc.... It's like therapy and gives time to reflect on the great day we just had, kinda like yesterday! :)

ChiefApache
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's an interesting and totally biased perspective being a salt water boater... Since I run in salt water I "have" to flush my engines everytime I go out even if it's for 5 minutes and a soap/water wash down is a necessity as water alone does not get rid of salt... So in general I "have" to care for my boat where as a fresh water guy might get lazy about it because he/she doesn't "have" to. ;)

At the end of the day, when buying boats I don't consider fresh/salt as my purchasing factor, just over all condition.

Don't believe all the hype about the "salt water monster" but yes, it does require some extra care and I actually enjoy it! When I get back from a nice ocean run I'll grab a beer and start cleaning up... Sometimes I even tell my wife to go home or go lay down in the cabin so I can spend extra time cleaning and not be rushed etc.... It's like therapy and gives time to reflect on the great day we just had, kinda like yesterday! :)

We are doing the CBPBA run in September and this is good information. We have a fresh water flush on the boat so that's not a problem flushing the motors. We'll be sure to bring a bucket and soap for the boat/trailer! :)

Edward R. Cozzi
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Absolutely correct. I lived on Lake Michigan for many years and brought my "fresh water only" boat down here with me. In six months it looked its age after I kept it in mint condition in Chicago for nine years. I was clueless to the extra care it takes to keep a salt water boat in good condition. If the boat you choose is in Florida, no problem, as I will give it the survey of its life.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM

U make it sound like u just got done washing.LOL
But ,yes,,,,,even for a short test run i flush and wash down everything on my boat as well.

Ratickle
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely correct. I lived on Lake Michigan for many years and brought my "fresh water only" boat down here with me. In six months it looked its age after I kept it in mint condition in Chicago for nine years. I was clueless to the extra care it takes to keep a salt water boat in good condition. If the boat you choose is in Florida, no problem, as I will give it the survey of its life.

If a person is very interested, what do they check before making the formal offer subject to survey? For instance, I like it, looks good, if I pull the water pump hose off and look in the thermostat housing can I tell anything?

Or what????

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
We are doing the CBPBA run in September and this is good information. We have a fresh water flush on the boat so that's not a problem flushing the motors. We'll be sure to bring a bucket and soap for the boat/trailer! :)

Hey, have an excellent time out there!!!!

As far as soap goes, I really like the MaryKate Super Suds; http://www.boatersland.com/mkt2232.html

As a second choice I also had good results with Boat Zoap, made by Sudbury. https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2277

The regular soap that's sold in West Marine and other car soaps tend to strip the wax off and over time doesn't provide as good a shine as the other two I listed above. :USA:

I'll also add, to keep it in tip-top shape a salt water boat should be waxed roughly twice as much as a fresh water boat...

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 11:51 AM
U make it sound like u just got done washing.LOL

About 15 hrs ago!! :driving:

Ratickle
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Do you use any additive at all when you flush the engines/coolers?????

fund razor
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that the thread should be called: "Yellow boat, or no yellow boat?" :D :D

OldSchool
08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I flush with fresh water for 3-4 minutes and then Salt-Away for 4-5 minutes. Also CRC is great to spray everything down with after flushing. ;) :)

I have no thermostats in my engines, but something to think about for those of who run them is that if the engine doesn't get hot enough during flushing...it's not as effective!!:sifone:

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Do you use any additive at all when you flush the engines/coolers?????

I agree with Craig.

I've used salt-away on-off for many years but to be honest I didn't really noticed a big difference either way. When I have it I use it when I don't have it I don't sweat it. A good 5 minute fresh water flush is what you need most!

Big Time
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I definitely would not count out a salt water boat. I have a regiment that I go through anytime that the boat goes in the water. Motor get flushed (I do use salt away once or twice a month, but normally just run on the hose for at least 5 mins), headers get drained. Every inch of the boat is washed down with soap, then I break out the squeegee and towel dry the rest, then the cockpit and full cover go on. I don't care if I get in at 10 o'clock at night and plan on going out 8 am in the morning, I always flush my engine and drain my headers, but I am super anal.

One thing to check if you are buying a salt water boat is the trailer. Some people tend to spend all of there time cleaning the boat...I take just as much care of the trailer as I do the boat and everything on it gets washed/rinsed thoroughly after each use. The sail water can really do a # on your bearings and breaks if not properly taken care of.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
SALT-AWAY

I actually heard that salt away is not good for the engine and can damage it ,,,,,,,IS THIS TRUE ???

OldSchool
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
SALT-AWAY

I actually heard that salt away is not good for the engine and can damage it ,,,,,,,IS THIS TRUE ???

No.
Rule #1-Don't believe everything that you read on the internet.;) :)

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
No.

O K ....mmmhhhh,,,LOL:sifone:

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Daredevil, I heard this info on the other site once or twice so I pulled up the MSDS product information and I don't see how it could actually cause any damage....

Until proven otherwise I'll assume it doesn't.

http://www.western-environmental.com/special/saltaway/Salt%20Away%20msds.pdf

Big Time
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
SALT-AWAY

I use the salt away and then I reflush with fresh water....can't go wrong with that!!

Ratickle
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
No.

Now you tell me.......:sifone:

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
If you want to save some money pick up some sulfamic acid from the tile section at home depot and mix it with water.... Saltaway's active igredient is less than 5% sulfamic acid. Or use some vinegar, citric acid or even some baking soda instead of salt-away....

OldSchool
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
If you want to save some money pick up some sulfamic acid from the tile section at home depot and mix it with water.... Saltaway's active igredient is less than 5% sulfamic acid. Or use some vinegar, citric acid or even some baking soda instead of salt-away....

Or Dawn dishwashing detergent.

slpcamaross97
08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
If the price is right ,, i would buy it. By the looks of
The rust u see is more likeley transom rot and roty water coming from that erea.

Transom rot??????

Scarab KV
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM

Barb, you have an aluminum or steel trailer?

Geronimo36
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Transom rot??????

I actually think it's just iron deposits from the water/exhaust on transom...

DollaBill
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
problem is..... real offshore boats (thus the name) come from the oceans..... ;)

slpcamaross97
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
YEP. I plan on running on Torch lake, St. Clair, St clair river, and maybe lake Hurion.

fund razor
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
problem is..... real offshore boats (thus the name) come from the oceans..... ;)
Yet they so often make their way north to the great lakes. Would be interesting how many Apaches are in the great lakes vs. florida. I know that there are one heck of a lot of Cigs between Detroit and about Syracuse NY.

Ratickle
09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Yet they so often make their way north to the great lakes. Would be interesting how many Apaches are in the great lakes vs. florida. I know that there are one heck of a lot of Cigs between Detroit and about Syracuse NY.

And Chicago.

ChiefApache
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Barb, you have an aluminum or steel trailer?

Steel.

Just a question for those who boat in the salt water.....would it be smart for us to use the Salt-Away in addition to fresh water flushing?

OldSchool
09-01-2009, 10:19 AM

Keep in mind that having an offshore boat on a lake is still better than having no offshore boat at the ocean!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone::sifone:

Bradz
09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
We boat on Lake Michigan. I would take a fresh water boat over a salt water boat in a heartbeat. The salt in the air gets everywhere and rusts everything and even the wiring is junk after a few years. I have looked at a lot of Florida boats and no comparison to a fresh water boat.

Geronimo36
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Steel.

Just a question for those who boat in the salt water.....would it be smart for us to use the Salt-Away in addition to fresh water flushing?

Since your trailer is steel, take some extra time to soap it down/rinse. That would be most important in my opinon.

In all honesty, if you really want to go the extra mile go buy some Salt-away but if not don't worry about it and just flush the engines with fresh water when you're all done. Furthermore, when you get home take the boat out for a short spin on the lake, that'll take care of the rest.

I wouldn't be overly concerned.:driving:

Seafordguy
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Steel.

If you have a Steel Trailer, I would dunk that thing in fresh water the minute you have a chance.

I wouldn't buy salt-away for ONE time but it is a good product in my opinion.

ChiefApache
09-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Since your trailer is steel, take some extra time to soap it down/rinse. That would be most important in my opinon.

In all honesty, if you really want to go the extra mile go buy some Salt-away but if not don't worry about it and just flush the engines with fresh water when you're all done. Furthermore, when you get home take the boat out for a short spin on the lake, that'll take care of the rest.

I wouldn't be overly concerned.:driving:

If you have a Steel Trailer, I would dunk that thing in fresh water the minute you have a chance.

I wouldn't buy salt-away for ONE time but it is a good product in my opinion.

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the feedback.

DAREDEVIL
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM

I have a 1992 steel MYCO,,and its been in salt and fresh water,,steel rusts,,aluminum does not ,,but u need to take care of both.
The main thing is the wheel bearings.
No matter which water u dunk it , after u get it out ,,press 1 shot of grease in each one so the water gets out before it mixes up.
The breaks,,NEED TO BE FLUSHED WELL.
The steel it self just rinse it off.

By the way ,,mine is still roling.LOL:sifone:

Slandrew
09-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a 1990 Fountain 90% salt water use well cared for!A couple years back spotted same exact boat but fresh water boat looked like show room compared to mine with original motors:confused:!If that helps salt kills every thing?:ack2:

DAREDEVIL
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a 1990 Fountain 90% salt water use well cared for!A couple years back spotted same exact boat but fresh water boat looked like show room compared to mine with original motors:confused:!If that helps salt kills every thing?:ack2:

I think u need to take more care of your stuff .LOL:26:

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM

They sell SaltAway in a small size as well as the big Jug. Probably doesn't cost more than $12. Seems like cheap insurance. I use it on the inside and outside of my boat (flush and wash) I use it on my trailer and use it on the back underside of my truck.

I wonder if one of the "degredation issues" with salt boats is that on the whole maybe they get run a bit harder than freshwater boats? Out here, there aren't a lot of nice little coves to raft up in or flat water running to be had like on some lakes. There's a lot of running in a big swell, flying the boat and landing hard... Just a though.

I know Great Lakes guys, I'm not really talking about you and your freshwater oceans... :sifone:

jhenrie
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
We boat on Lake Michigan. I would take a fresh water boat over a salt water boat in a heartbeat. The salt in the air gets everywhere and rusts everything and even the wiring is junk after a few years. I have looked at a lot of Florida boats and no comparison to a fresh water boat.

Your wiring will turn to junk too in the fresh water. Your grounds will rust just as fast if not faster. Take care of your junk , fresh or salt and it won't be total junk. Don't take care of it and you'll be sittiing on the dock when I go by fresh or salt.

DAREDEVIL
09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Your wiring will turn to junk too in the fresh water. Your grounds will rust just as fast if not faster. Take care of your junk , fresh or salt and it won't be total junk. Don't take care of it and you'll be sittiing on the dock when I go by fresh or salt.

Yep,,always remember WD-40 is your friend !!

Dude! Sweet!
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I shudder to think how much CRC and WD40 I go through every year... :sifone:

ChiefApache
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
They sell SaltAway in a small size as well as the big Jug. Probably doesn't cost more than $12. Seems like cheap insurance. I use it on the inside and outside of my boat (flush and wash) I use it on my trailer and use it on the back underside of my truck.

I wonder if one of the "degredation issues" with salt boats is that on the whole maybe they get run a bit harder than freshwater boats? Out here, there aren't a lot of nice little coves to raft up in or flat water running to be had like on some lakes. There's a lot of running in a big swell, flying the boat and landing hard... Just a though.

I know Great Lakes guys, I'm not really talking about you and your freshwater oceans... :sifone:

Thanks Sean. I may ask Craig or Ted to pick us up a small size of SaltAway. I'd prefer to be overly cautious. :sifone:

OldSchool
09-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks Sean. I may ask Craig or Ted to pick us up a small size of SaltAway. I'd prefer to be overly cautious. :sifone:

There is a gallon of it under the back seat of my boat. I'll have the dispenser with me as well in Cambridge. You all are more than welcome to use it if you would like to. I usually don't flush until I get home when out for an overnighter. It's not like it going to eat through the block or heads in a day! Corrosion issues are normally caused by someone who doesn't take care of their chit!!

Indy
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM

My salt water boats have been every bit as clean as fresh. It comes down to your cleaning habits.

Now my steel trailer...that's another story. All I can say is Go Aluminum!

BTW...salt does not evaporate with the water, the water condensation you see is all fresh. The only salt in the air is from spray on stormy days.

glh
09-02-2009, 12:33 PM
...lets hear you options on salt water vs fresh water.Salt Water=Battery Acid

Fresh Water=What you clean your baby in every night...

Geronimo36
09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Quite the contrary, salt water is really good for your skin! ;)

Salt is in your blood and life started in the ocean....lol

ChiefApache
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
There is a gallon of it under the back seat of my boat. I'll have the dispenser with me as well in Cambridge. You all are more than welcome to use it if you would like to. I usually don't flush until I get home when out for an overnighter. It's not like it going to eat through the block or heads in a day! Corrosion issues are normally caused by someone who doesn't take care of their chit!!

Thanks Craig.

cigdaze
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Salt Water=Battery Acid

Actually, it's just water with a little salt in it and to the contrary, saltwater is basic with a PH of about 8.1 to 8.3 - not acidic at all. Freshwater tends to be acidic with PH's typically in low 6's.

I'll take a saltwater boat in a heartbeat. I won't take a neglected boat, ever.

Bobcat
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I drink saltwater all the time, followed by an hour or two of staring at the sun.:willy_nilly:

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I drink saltwater all the time, followed by an hour or two of staring at the sun.:willy_nilly:

Followed by an hour or two of you blowing your ass off in the crapper! :26:

Frequency
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I've always been interested in how salt in the air attacks boats, but not cars?

Geronimo36
09-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Hey Craig, is Cambridge fresh, brackish or salt?

"Since the bay is an estuary, it has fresh water and brackish water. Brackish water has three salinity zones — oligohaline, mesohaline, and polyhaline. The fresh water zone runs from the mouth of the Susquehanna River to north Baltimore. The oligohaline zone has very little salt. Salinity varies from 0.5 ppt to 10 ppt and freshwater species can survive there. The north end of the oligohaline zone is north Baltimore and the south end is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The mesohaline zone has a medium amount of salt and runs from the Bay Bridge to the mouth of the Rapahannock River. the salinity ranges from 10.7 ppt to 18 ppt. The polyhaline zone is the saltiest zone and some of the water can be as salty as sea water. It runs from the mouth of the Rappahannock River to the mouth of the bay. The salinity ranges from 18.7 ppt to 36 ppt. (36 ppt is as salty as the ocean.)"

source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay

Quinlan
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Just went thru my 575s. If the guy that had it before me EVER flushed I would hate to see one that wasnt.
Manifolds and thermostate eaten almost thru!

glh
09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Quite the contrary, salt water is really good for your skin! ;)

Salt is in your blood and life started in the ocean....lol

Actually, it's just water with a little salt in it and to the contrary, saltwater is basic with a PH of about 8.1 to 8.3 - not acidic at all. Freshwater tends to be acidic with PH's typically in low 6's.

I'll take a saltwater boat in a heartbeat. I won't take a neglected boat, ever.I'll show you heads, exhausts, every freaking fitting and trailers that look different after dealing with the two waters.

In the end for the same boat I would rather have one that spent it's life in fresh water than salt water. I doubt many poeple would choose different all else being equal.

cigdaze
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
'Many people' are always right. Just look at who's our president. :rolleyes:

There's no doubt that SW is corrosive, I was just stating that the comparison to battery acid was incorrect.
:)

Offshoredrillin
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM

"Since the bay is an estuary, it has fresh water and brackish water. Brackish water has three salinity zones — oligohaline, mesohaline, and polyhaline. The fresh water zone runs from the mouth of the Susquehanna River to north Baltimore. The oligohaline zone has very little salt. Salinity varies from 0.5 ppt to 10 ppt and freshwater species can survive there. The north end of the oligohaline zone is north Baltimore and the south end is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The mesohaline zone has a medium amount of salt and runs from the Bay Bridge to the mouth of the Rapahannock River. the salinity ranges from 10.7 ppt to 18 ppt. The polyhaline zone is the saltiest zone and some of the water can be as salty as sea water. It runs from the mouth of the Rappahannock River to the mouth of the bay. The salinity ranges from 18.7 ppt to 36 ppt. (36 ppt is as salty as the ocean.)"

medium, it falls in that zone, however the further you travel up the choptank, the fresher it will be. anyone will be fine, just flush when you pull out, and salt away never hurts. I have some in my boat as well as the hose adapter.

Ratickle
09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I like this thread......:sifone:

ChiefApache
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I like this thread......:sifone:

Agree! Some really good information and discussion.

Geronimo36
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll show you heads, exhausts, every freaking fitting and trailers that look different after dealing with the two waters.

In the end for the same boat I would rather have one that spent it's life in fresh water than salt water. I doubt many poeple would choose different all else being equal.

'Many people' are always right. Just look at who's our president. :rolleyes:

There's no doubt that SW is corrosive, I was just stating that the comparison to battery acid was incorrect.
:)

Exactly CigDaze!

GL, no one is saying salt doesn't have long-term effects on engine parts etc.... Our point is if you take care of your junk the effects aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be... Using your boat in salt once or twice is not going to ruin it, like some people believe and the "salt monster" wont eat you... :rofl:

My engine blocks/heads were manufactured in the early 1990's and have been raw-water (salt) cooled since assembled... I replaced a set of heads last year and the blocks are still original and have been rebuilt many times over the years... Most people can't even get their junk to last that long before completely blowing them apart in a melt-down... ;)

Equally cared for boats, salt/fresh, the fresh water boat wins out.... There's no doubt about that...

And FYI, salt IS good for your skin.... ;)

Geronimo36
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Your wiring will turn to junk too in the fresh water.

Exactly! Copper reacts with "OXYGEN" not water, whether it be fresh or salt. ;)

Seafordguy
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Just went thru my 575s. If the guy that had it before me EVER flushed I would hate to see one that wasnt.
Manifolds and thermostate eaten almost thru!

On our Outboards we used to pull the thermostats almost every year and toss them in the trash as a matter of de-winterizing. After we started using Salt-Away we quit doing that because the condition of the stats was dramatically better. I'm a believer.

And I agree - all else equal who in their right mind wouldn't choose a Fresh Water boat.

Bradz
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
How many time do you see a classified add for a boat that will say "freshwater only". It helps sell the boat. I do not think I have ever seen an add with "saltwater only" I have torn down and re-rigged fresh water and salt water boats. There is a big difference. I have seen salt boats where you can not even unbolt the outdrives or get the lower drive to let go if you get the bolts out.

Geronimo36
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
If you can't get an outdrive off a salt water boat it's because it hasn't been cared for and has been neglected. If I saw that I'd run for the hills... A salt water boat requires roughly double the care for of a fresh water boat.

When buying a boat I might have a stronger eye towards a fresh-water boat at first but it wont be the basis for my decision as there's plenty of neglected boats out there, both fresh and salt...

For instance, my buddy just bought a fresh water powerplay and when he first fired the engines the intake manifold was pizzinig water out from a crack so it had to be replaced. Then on the first test run we noticed one of the fairly new EMI tailpipes was leaking (again, fresh water boat) near one of the welds. He took the pipe off and there was a 3 inch hole inside the pipe.. He's used it once in salt water so I guess the salt monster must have done it! :rofl:

Frankly speaking, you fresh water guys have it easy!!! There's a lot less maintenance! ;)

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I have lived and worked on boats in brackish {Cheaspeake}, Ocean salt {Jersey shore}, and now fresh. No question it is easier to care for a fresh water boat. I think salt water boats demands MORE than twice the effort. More cleaning, more maintenance, more parts replaced.

The thing about salt is when it dries and crystallizes it expands like water. Than add the corrosive effects. I have worked on some fresh water boats that are 30 years old. They look better and are easier to work on than a ocean boat 1 year old.

Birdog
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Saltwater is demanding ! But, I think alot of saltwater boats come out of Fla...12 month season and BLAZING sun. Ages them. I have looked at northern Salt boats and they were much nicer

Geronimo36
09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Off topic but Salt or Fresh, I wouldn't actively want to buy a "poker run" or "race boat". :)

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Off topic but Salt or Fresh, I wouldn't actively want to buy a "poker run" or "race boat". :)

I was 100% with you 'til you went there... :reddevil:

Scarab KV
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Exactly! Copper reacts with "OXYGEN" not water, whether it be fresh or salt. ;)

I have to disagree with that to a degree. If there's salt in the water, copper and aluminum is going react to it at a very accelerated rate versus freshwater.
I see it all the time with drivers who do sloppy wiring jobs on light bars they put on their trucks. Crimped butt connectors and scotch locks that aren't sealed don't cut it in exposed wiring. The guys who run south get away with it for a number of years before the corrosion problems start. Guys that run the northern routes in snow and salt will have those same corrosion problems in just one winter season.

I machine cut and polish all the aluminum on my truck to a mirror finish every spring. It will hold that finish until winter and it's salted roads. Salt will start to pit and corrode that finish in just one week. As long as the salt drys it won't do any damage, but if left on for a period of time in a damp or wet environment it will eat away at the finish and start pitting the aluminum. Water activates the corrosive attributes of salt. It's worse now with all the chemicals that gets mixed in with road salt like Calcium Chloride.

Geronimo36
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I guess the statue of liberty is a junkpile! take care of your chit and dont let the salt water monster bite!

Debate it over the weekend, I'm going boating, see ya tuesday!

Geronimo36
09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Long weekend!;)

Put the boat in Saturday morning, went out with my wife and daughter. Saturday night I didn't even flush (oh dear!) the engines and used the boat on Monday in 4-6's out in the ocean and some 4-5's in narrows....

Luckilly the salt water monster didn't bite and we had a great weekend! :26:

I'm thinking I better junk all of it since it was sitting in the salt for the past couple days... lol:leaving:

Ratickle
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking I better junk all of it since it was sitting in the salt for the past couple days...

On my way to pick it up so you can save the disposal fees......:)

Just how nice a guy I am........:sifone:

Bradz
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
You are taking this a little too personal almost like we are attacking your boat as junk. Since you are an exception to the rule and take the time to care for your boat, your boat will live a long time. However the orginal post asked if there is a difference. The difference is most people do not take the time required to care for thier boat fresh or salt water use. That being the case the fresh water boats hold up much better with normal boat owner neglect.

Salt in the air... Go to Key West and look at the older trucks and cars. They rust from the top down unlike our midwest cars that rust from the bottom up from road salt.

OldSchool
09-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Medium (See in blue above). Sorry for the late response, I was out ruining my boat all weekend!!! ;) :D :sifone:

Big Time
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Since you are an exception to the rule and take the time to care for your boat, your boat will live a long time. However the orginal post asked if there is a difference.

I think the point is that a saltwater boat can be every bit as clean as a fresh water boat, if not more, based on how well it is taken care of. I pulled my boat out last night, spent a good 1 1/2 hrs flushing and cleaning it (its only a since engine 29 ft boat), checking fluid levels, looking over the bilge for any leaks, sprayed a little WD-40 around, drained my headers, dried the boat, put my two covers on, etc.. I probably spent more time cleaning/washing the trailer alone (not even talking about the boat) than a lot fresh water guys spend cleaning their boats after a run (OK, that is a big generalization, but the pt is I spent a lot of time on it). I don't know too many performance guys over in my area that don't put in a similiar effort. Its the guys in the cruisers that keep their boats in the water all summer long that you really need to worry about.

Geronimo36
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
You are taking this a little too personal almost like we are attacking your boat as junk. Since you are an exception to the rule and take the time to care for your boat, your boat will live a long time. However the orginal post asked if there is a difference. The difference is most people do not take the time required to care for thier boat fresh or salt water use. That being the case the fresh water boats hold up much better with normal boat owner neglect.

Salt in the air... Go to Key West and look at the older trucks and cars. They rust from the top down unlike our midwest cars that rust from the bottom up from road salt.

Not at all boss, just poking some fun on the fresh water guys!! :)

I've been boating in salt water for 30 years so I definltely know what it can do so no need to educate me, just read back to my very first post on this thread. I state the same many times over and over again so I've been very consistend in my response. ;)

I think the point is that a saltwater boat can be every bit as clean as a fresh water boat, if not more, based on how well it is taken care of..

Exactly, at least someone is payin attention!:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
If all you know is salt water you except to necessity of thorough cleaning and that meticulous care needed. Salt water boating in general is better boating in my mind. Great Lakes are the exception. Boundless boating. It is worth the extra care.

On the flip side, a salt water boat can never be as clean as a fresh water boat. It may be on the outside but, never in its entirety. Salt gets in all the places you can't clean too. To adequately clean a salt water boat you would need to disassemble it completely every year and scrape and clean the salt away from everything like all the internal gasket surfaces in the engine and drive for starters.

I grew up and spent most of my life coastal boating and love it. I do however enjoy working on boats that have never seen the salt. It is now easy for me to recognize a salt water boat. No matter how well cared for it may be.

Now the boats that don't get the extreme care are in a class of their own. Just one season of laze can change the boat for the worse with no chance of recovery. Boats that are 10 years old with salt use and little care can often be unserviceable.

I see it all the time. "I know it is a salt water boat. but I got it at a great price." Yea yea. They don't usually say that any more after the first service bill.

Geronimo36
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
If all you know is salt water you except to necessity of thorough cleaning and that meticulous care needed. Salt water boating in general is better boating in my mind. Great Lakes are the exception. Boundless boating. It is worth the extra care.

On the flip side, a salt water boat can never be as clean as a fresh water boat. It may be on the outside but, never in its entirety. Salt gets in all the places you can't clean too. To adequately clean a salt water boat you would need to disassemble it completely every year and scrape and clean the salt away from everything like all the internal gasket surfaces in the engine and drive for starters.

I grew up and spent most of my life coastal boating and love it. I do however enjoy working on boats that have never seen the salt. It is now easy for me to recognize a salt water boat. No matter how well cared for it may be.

Now the boats that don't get the extreme care are in a class of their own. Just one season of laze can change the boat for the worse with no chance of recovery. Boats that are 10 years old with salt use and little care can often be unserviceable.

I see it all the time. "I know it is a salt water boat. but I got it at a great price." Yea yea. They don't usually say that any more after the first service bill.

Jimmy, you pose a very balanced perspective and I happen to agree. :USA:

It must be really nice not having to add and extra hour/two onto each service estimate accounting for labor time to break free all those siezed bolts on every job, especially the older scals!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Big Time
09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
To adequately clean a salt water boat you would need to disassemble it completely every year and scrape and clean the salt away from everything like all the internal gasket surfaces in the engine and drive for starters.

I know it is not the same but every year I finish my boating season with a weekend on the lake. It may only be mental on my part, but I rest easier in the winter knowing that I got a fresh water "wash" right before I out it away. I even like to dunk the trailer a few times for good measure.

VetteLT193
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I think it is far easier to tell a well maintained salt water boat than a well maintained fresh water boat.

I have a neighbor that has a fresh water only boat. I think it might have the original oil in it from 1995. He does nothing to it but cover it, still looks fine. If he ran it like that in salt it would be a piece of crap. If you were buying the boat you would never know how bad he abuses it because of the way it looks. So... there are a lot of reasons why I prefer to buy a salt water boat.

Also... Salt Away is a must. I salt away the entire boat, trailer, brakes, etc. And Saltaway does not equal soap. I keep reading that they are the same in various places but soap does not have sulphamic acid in it, which is the key ingredient that makes salt away work. All you are going to get with putting soap in your engine is a bunch of suds.

I also prefer to dunk in fresh if I can. I kind of have the best of both worlds. I put the boat in a fresh water river then run out to the Gulf of Mexico. By the time I get back in my engines are pre-flushed with fresh water. I re-flush them at home with water then salt away as a double precaution.

sledge
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
CORROSION BLOCKER....an ounce of prevention....

Whether it's Merc's can, CRC, PB Blaster's product or even just WD40....probably one of the best things you can do BEFORE going to the salt. Engines, drives, electrical, trailer hardware, everything but brake discs. Doesn't hurt anything but stickers after years of liberal application. Might take the shine away from certain surfaces over time but small price to pay for protection.

As for the trailer, the real killer with salt water is heat. I bring a 5gal fuel jug with water in it to A)cool down the hubs/brakes before I dunk, B)rinse hubs/brakes after unloading and C)rinse hubs/brakes immediately after loading and before leaving the ramp. Once you start rolling, the heat evaporates the water and helps accelerate the salt attack.

If you want to be really "prepared", pick up a 15gal agriculture tank/sprayer for under $100. Comes with a 12v pump and small length of hose but you can swap that for a 30+' coil hose. You could even pre-mix Salt Away in the tank during the fill up. Here in SoFla I'm seeing more and more trailers with fresh water washdown tanks since most of the ramps have cut off the hoses.

I would imagine "hard" fresh water can be more destructive than "soft" fresh water, but my '91 Formula with over 1000hrs looked better than all the fresh water boats I looked at. It's also kind of hard to compare boats that only get 20-30hrs per year with boats that see that every month.

Dueclaws
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
My neighbor just purchased a 38' Fountain with 260 hours, 500 HPs, etc. The boat has always been in salt and it looks and runs like new.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I would imagine "hard" fresh water can be more destructive than "soft" fresh water, but my '91 Formula with over 1000hrs looked better than all the fresh water boats I looked at. It's also kind of hard to compare boats that only get 20-30hrs per year with boats that see that every month.

There is hard water here. Calcium I'm told. It leaves water spots and tends to collect in spots similar to salt. It is not corrosive and does not expand and crystallize. It cleans off easily with proper cleaners revealing no hidden damage.

Yes, Is is possible to keep a salt water boat looking good. And yes of course some fresh water boats don't look good as a well cared for salt water boat.

One thing I doubt anyone can argue is it is easier to care for a fresh water boat.

Matt Trulio
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Someone once told me: Think of your sterndrive as a big Alka-Seltzer once you put it in saltwater.

Frequency
09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Ours is a freshwater boat, but we will be dropping it in saltwater at our new place from time to time. Problem is, our dock/lift is not in yet.

Say we're using the boat over the weekend. Would you leave the boat in the water the whole time or pull it out and flush after each use if it was convenient to do so?

Dude! Sweet!
09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Someone once told me: Think of your sterndrive as a big Alka-Seltzer once you put it in saltwater.

No way! :biggrinjester:

cigdaze
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Ours is a freshwater boat, but we will be dropping it in saltwater at our new place from time to time. Problem is, our dock/lift is not in yet.

Say we're using the boat over the weekend. Would you leave the boat in the water the whole time or pull it out and flush after each use if it was convenient to do so?

A weekend every now and again is no big deal, but I wouldn't make it a habit. I like to flush after every use, but will do the occasional weekender.

If you want to weekend a lot, then get some inline ball valves installed on your raw water intake lines. That way you close off the line to your drive and flush your motors while still in the water.

Geronimo36
09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
There is hard water here. Calcium I'm told. It leaves water spots and tends to collect in spots similar to salt. It is not corrosive and does not expand and crystallize. It cleans off easily with proper cleaners revealing no hidden damage.

I get those deposits in my toilet at home.. The deposits got so thick the toilet stopped flushing once... what a chitty mess! :leaving::rofl:

scottw
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
After running the boat in saltwater does anyone wash the engine compartment as well as the outer engine down?

Expensive Date
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
After running the boat in saltwater does anyone wash the engine compartment as well as the outer engine down?

I do

Slandrew
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Someone once told me: Think of your sterndrive as a big Alka-Seltzer once you put it in saltwater.I believe that any where the salt water hits spray it with no salt & fresh water flush with no salt!:beatdeadhorse5:Fresh water boat will get more hours on all parts!

DAREDEVIL
10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I believe that any where the salt water hits spray it with no salt & fresh water flush with no salt!:beatdeadhorse5:Fresh water boat will get more hours on all parts!

I think it all depends on how much u take care of your stuff !!!!!!!

Water and steel really don't mix in any way,,!!!!!!!:USA:

ChiefApache
10-15-2009, 08:48 AM

We did when we put our boat in saltwater last month. We washed everything down........everything.

Sean Stinson
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Ok Im from fresh water state and never plan on running in salt. My question would be How much does salt hurt a boat say I/os twins with all the good stuff. Now everyone that is in MI and fresh water totally turns their noise up at salt water boat saying that everything would be junk ext.... Im looking at buy a boat and have one in mind that a salt boat. But all the salt water guys could care less about running in salt.

I know the usual of rust and stuff but lets hear you options on salt water vs fresh water.

Granted I have only read your post and none of the others including #2......So if this is repetative please forgive me.....

Salt water is the harshest environment on earth for a boat, however if it is properly taken care of and stored properly you have very little to worry about!!! Everything has to be rinsed and flushed thoroughly not just replace the water in the engine but thoroughly flushed.....an additive such as "Salt Away" used at the end of the flushing procedure so it sits in the engine after flushing makes a night and day difference!! Also you should drain the headers after use everytime if you have no way to do this make a way to do this!!! I used to fog the motor after everyuse to keep the upper cylinders and valve train coated with a lubricant such as Marvel Mystery Oil or a fogging agent!!!! Now you must wash and rinse the boat thoroughly as well NOT just squirt it off with a hose....WASH it with soap and water rinse it dry it and do this inside the engine compartment as well.....treat the upholstery with something to keep it conditioned.....keep it waxed.....keep the zincs updated.....you can never do enough but if people would even attempt to do some of the things mentioned here the corrosion problem is diminished 10 fold.....

There you go and thats my tips for the day!!!!

PM203
10-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Salt water boats age faster than fresh water boats.That is just a fact. I don't care if you spend all day cleaning and washing. A fresh water boat will always be nicer than a salt water boat. I use my boat in freshwater and don't even have to clean it if I don't want to. I could raise it up on its lift and just walk away if I wanted to. No flush, no clean, no rinse, no nothing. And, if I did that for 5 years, I guarantee my boat would be nicer than a 1 year old saltwater boat. You can maintain a saltwater boat to the highest of standards, but it will never equal the condition of a freshwater boat.

P.S. Original factory outdrive Zincs look like they just came off the parts shelf!

Sean Stinson
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Salt water boats age faster than fresh water boats.That is just a fact. I don't care if you spend all day cleaning and washing. A fresh water boat will always be nicer than a salt water boat. I use my boat in freshwater and don't even have to clean it if I don't want to. I could raise it up on its lift and just walk away if I wanted to. No flush, no clean, no rinse, no nothing. And, if I did that for 5 years, I guarantee my boat would be nicer than a 1 year old saltwater boat. You can maintain a saltwater boat to the highest of standards, but it will never equal the condition of a freshwater boat.

I would argue this point to a certain degree.....but you are correct as far as 2 boats over the same period of time one in salt and one in fresh the freshwater boat will have less issue than the salt one!!!!

Geronimo36
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Zinc will not work in freshwater so be sure you're using magnesium anodes.

I've always stored my boats on a rack or in a lift and have never needed to change a zinc either.

Equally cared for boats, salt will loose long-term... it's harsh but it's also not the end of the world. :03::)

PM203
10-15-2009, 10:34 AM
... it's harsh but it's also not the end of the world. :03::)

That is so true.

Big Time
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM

I wipe down the engine/headers after almost every run. I take a rag and spray some WD 40 in it and just wipe down the engine. I really use this time just to check over the engine to look for any visible problems/leaks. Takes me maybe 5-7 mins (single engine) and it keeps the engine looking like new! I clean the bildge maybe once a month, but normally it stays pretty clean (except for that time I changed the oil and had trouble putting a new oil filter full of oil back on....but that's another thread :))

DAREDEVIL
10-15-2009, 11:11 AM

P.S. Original factory outdrive Zincs look like they just came off the parts shelf!

Are we talking about the BOAT ( hull ) itself or the drives and ect. ???

If u are talking about the core,glass, then i have to tell u your wrong.
Freshwater will eat up core matt. like balsa,plywood and other older mat. faster then saltwater, THATS A FACT ALSO !!!!!
I agree on the drives and other metal parts.

Twin27Advantage
10-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I wipe down the engine/headers after almost every run. I take a rag and spray some WD 40 in it and just wipe down the engine. I really use this time just to check over the engine to look for any visible problems/leaks. Takes me maybe 5-7 mins (single engine) and it keeps the engine looking like new! I clean the bildge maybe once a month, but normally it stays pretty clean (except for that time I changed the oil and had trouble putting a new oil filter full of oil back on....but that's another thread :))

You may already know this...but, merc and quicksilver have a anti corrosion spray. It is like painting on clear coat except it washes off. It sprays on clear and dries clear with no oily residue. You only need to spray once every couple weeks. I think the single best place to use it is on the head bolts under the headers or manifolds. Wd works, but evaporates and leaves a residue, not to mention collects dust.

Geronimo36
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Just an FYI for the fresh water boats; warm fresh water is the major catalyst for hull blistering. Fresh-water boats are more prone to blistering than salt... ;)

If you're buying a fresh water boat that's stored in the water full-time or for long periods be sure to pay close attention to this. Lakes (most are fresh) tend to be warmer in the summer time than any ocean.

PM203
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Are we talking about the BOAT ( hull ) itself or the drives and ect. ???

We are talking about everything.

scottw
10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that a saltwater boat that is well taken care of and stored on the dry will hold up about as well as a fresh water boat stored the same way. All depends on the maintnence. There sure are some really nice boats that run in the ocean around Jersey.

PM203
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
I think that a saltwater boat that is well taken care of and stored on the dry will hold up about as well as a fresh water boat stored the same way. All depends on the maintnence. There sure are some really nice boats that run in the ocean around Jersey.

Sorry, no way. Salt and salt air gets everywhere. Wash and rinse all you want. You can keep a boat nice in salt, but it will never match the condition of a freshwater boat.

JupiterSunsation
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Sorry, no way. Salt and salt air gets everywhere. Wash and rinse all you want. You can keep a boat nice in salt, but it will never match the condition of a freshwater boat.

The former OSO boat now has 300 hours (all saltwater) on it and is FLAWLESS. The bilge is bright white, not a mark on it. Everything that should shine still does. The owner keeps it on a lift and it is covered. It is detailed twice a week (salaried employee of owner) and nothing shows any use/rust/wear. Drives are still original and have never been off the boat also. Owner is a wingnut when it comes to clean/maintenance.

I have seen "freshwater only" boats that were stored outside all winter left in the water all summer and as a result look like crap.

It all depends on the owner.....just like cars, houses whatever.....

scottw
10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
The former OSO boat now has 300 hours (all saltwater) on it and is FLAWLESS. The bilge is bright white, not a mark on it. Everything that should shine still does. The owner keeps it on a lift and it is covered. It is detailed twice a week (salaried employee of owner) and nothing shows any use/rust/wear. Drives are still original and have never been off the boat also. Owner is a wingnut when it comes to clean/maintenance.

I have seen "freshwater only" boats that were stored outside all winter left in the water all summer and as a result look like crap.

I agree with you JS. All depends on how you take care of your equipment.

PM203
10-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Wrong again. Two identical boats kept on a lift, maintained to the same standards by the same owner. One is in freshwater, the other is saltwater. The freshwater boat WILL always be nicer.

DAREDEVIL
10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Wrong again. Two identical boats kept on a lift, maintained to the same standards by the same owner. One is in freshwater, the other is saltwater. The freshwater boat WILL always be nicer.

Ok,,,,so it does depend on the owner still !!!!!!

Like u siad ,,,same owner !!!:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
10-15-2009, 06:57 PM

100000% agree:USA:

JupiterSunsation
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Sure the one with the 6 month layup, sitting un-used in freezing temperatures is being preserved like Ted Williams' head.......Vs the one being used once a week and cleaned properly.

Better question for you Paul.....If a boat is run in salt water for 10 hours out of 100 is it still a freshwater boat? How about 50 of 100 hours? Where is the line. If Phil built it and ran it in salt water on it's maiden voyage is the boat used up like a Vegas wh0re? What if Phil ran the boat for 100 hours in salt and personally flushed/maintained vs. the common man who ran it only on Lake Freshwater, USA on Sundays only with air temps over 70 but he didn't wax it every week but rather once a month? :sifone:

Paul I know it is cold up north, drag that beautiful Gladiator down here and thrash the salt out of the Atlantic! :D

PM203
10-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Sure the one with the 6 month layup, sitting un-used in freezing temperatures is being preserved like Ted Williams' head.......Vs the one being used once a week and cleaned properly.

Better question for you Paul.....If a boat is run in salt water for 10 hours out of 100 is it still a freshwater boat? How about 50 of 100 hours? Where is the line. If Phil built it and ran it in salt water on it's maiden voyage is the boat used up like a Vegas wh0re? What if Phil ran the boat for 100 hours in salt and personally flushed/maintained vs. the common man who ran it only on Lake Freshwater, USA on Sundays only with air temps over 70 but he didn't wax it every week but rather once a month? :sifone:

Paul I know it is cold up north, drag that beautiful Gladiator down here and thrash the salt out of the Atlantic! :D

Even Phil will tell you that as hard as he tries to maintain them in the salt, it always shows somewhere. Is it noticeable to the average guy? I would say probably not. And to answer your question, The common man's freshwater boat would be nicer than Phil's saltwater boat. I can show you countless 20 year old boats at the lake that look like they just left the showroom. There really is a difference. But, I envy the guys that run offshore. I used to run in the salt and will probably do it again. And, maybe, just maybe, I will drag the Glad down and go for a ride this season. And one more thing, I find the saltwater down south alot more destructive than up north.It seems to be a little more concentrated and seems to cake up and stick harder to the outdrives and such. Its probably due to the water temps. What do you think?

Geronimo36
10-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Ok, lets just settle it.... fresh/salt water cared for boat it really doesn't matter case all boats are faster in salt water!!!!

Ok, it's over! :)

Frequency
10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
After reading this whole thing about how freshwater and saltwater is bad for boats, I think I'm gonna leave my new Cafe on the trailer! :willy_nilly: :eek:

Geronimo36
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
After reading this whole thing about how freshwater and saltwater is bad for boats, I think I'm gonna leave my new Cafe on the trailer! :willy_nilly: :eek:

The salt water monster is commin to getcha!:rofl::rofl::willy_nilly:

PM203
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok, lets just settle it.... fresh/salt water cared for boat it really doesn't matter case all boats are faster in salt water!!!!

Ok, it's over! :)

Actually, Phil thinks that there is no difference between salt and freshwater speeds when it comes to stepped botom boats .

JupiterSunsation
10-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Even Phil will tell you that as hard as he tries to maintain them in the salt, it always shows somewhere. Is it noticeable to the average guy? I would say probably not. And to answer your question, The common man's freshwater boat would be nicer than Phil's saltwater boat. I can show you countless 20 year old boats at the lake that look like they just left the showroom. There really is a difference. But, I envy the guys that run offshore. I used to run in the salt and will probably do it again. And, maybe, just maybe, I will drag the Glad down and go for a ride this season. And one more thing, I find the saltwater down south alot more destructive than up north.It seems to be a little more concentrated and seems to cake up and stick harder to the outdrives and such. Its probably due to the water temps. What do you think?

Don't really see anything sticking to the drives....but after a few days the props will calcify (crusty, frostlike film) but any type of acid will make them good as new. The biggest grip for me is anything metal/painted in the bildge will turn to dust. Pulleys, brackets that are just painted will become a victim on black motors. The blue motors use more aluminum/powder coated parts and can last much longer. The only time my boat is left in overnight is on a poker run or Bahamas trip. That 3-4 days in the water is the harshest environment for my own boat.

Geronimo36
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Actually, Phil thinks that there is no difference between salt and freshwater speeds when it comes to stepped botom boats .

No idea...all I know is I loose 1-2 mph as soon as I get into only brackish water.:(

scottw
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
No idea...all I know is I loose 1-2 mph as soon as I get into only brackish water.:(

I agree with that. I pick up 2-3mph in the saltwater.:26:

DAREDEVIL
10-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Its proven that saltwater cary's more weight ,so yes u will be faster in saltwater !!!!!!!!!

And hey thats 100% proven.:)

PM203
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree with that. I pick up 2-3mph in the saltwater.:26:

Step bottom?

scottw
10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Step bottom?

No step.

FASTERDAD
10-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I would rather go with a in good shape salt water boat then fresh water. I totally agree with you on the salt water and fresh water rot. I also believe that boats stored in unheated storage in cold climate areas will also have more problems with rot because of moisture freezing and expanding in transoms and stringers, this causes delamination of the plywood which allows the rot to spread even faster.Here again fresh water is worst because it freezes at 32 degrees were as salt water freezes at a lower temp.Look for Boats that have been in heated storage thier whole life. Heated storage boats typicaly will have less chance of moisture issues in the fuel system due to less condensation because of consistent temp.

Geronimo36
10-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Step bottom?

I guess it's possible the differential is less due to the step or with a tunnel hull but bouyancy is bouyancy no matter what and salt water has more. :driving:

Just ask the people who have swam in great salt lake! ;)

scottw
10-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Well I took the boat out mostly on the upper Chesapeake but now we have a place at the Jersey shore and now I'm not going to let the saltwater scare me.:cuss: I put my deposit down at a marina to rack store next year.:sifone:

FASTERDAD
10-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Your wiring will turn to junk too in the fresh water. Your grounds will rust just as fast if not faster. Take care of your junk , fresh or salt and it won't be total junk. Don't take care of it and you'll be sittiing on the dock when I go by fresh or salt. Copper and Aluminum do not rust. Copper tarnishes with fresh water but does not "RUST" ,Corrosion happens to aluminum in fresh water in the pressence of some form of acid, copper cleans in the present of acid i.e. Acid rain . Salt water corrodes both. Ask A Chemist.

DAREDEVIL
10-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Copper and Aluminum do not rust. Copper tarnishes with fresh water but does not "RUST" ,Corrosion happens to aluminum in fresh water in the pressence of some form of acid, copper cleans in the present of acid i.e. Acid rain . Salt water corrodes both. Ask A Chemist.

Any form and shape of corrosion IS RUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!:seeya:

Sean Stinson
10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Any form and shape of corrosion IS RUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!:seeya:

Bull$hit

Geronimo36
10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Bull$hit

I'm with Sean.... Rust is only from steel/iron....check websters! ;)

DAREDEVIL
10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
COM'on,,,u all know what i mean !!!!!!:confused::ack2:

Bradz
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Funny how the salt water guys have twisted this thread into a well maintained salt water boat will be better than the fresh water boat.

Tony
10-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Ive done my share of saltwater boating in the past, most of it involved the boat being pulled out of the water and flushed and washed at the end of each day with Salt Away. This year I took a freshly rigged Whaler and left it in the water for a month. I flushed and washed the boat inside and out after every day of use. After I brough the boat back north and started going through it I was finding corrosion everywhere. Brand new terminal strips, wire connections, and exposed metal parts underneath the console where badly corroded. The brand new aluminum jack plate was badly pitted, and any spot on the outboard that wasnt covered with rust or fogging oil was showing corrosion. This year I'm taking a few cans of fogging oil and grease with me.

Salt is without a doubt heavily taxing on a boat and its rigging, as long as you know what your doing and what to expect, the damaging effects can be kept minimal with the proper preventative maintenece and cleaning.

Geronimo36
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Funny how the salt water guys have twisted this thread into a well maintained salt water boat will be better than the fresh water boat.

I think you're just reading it that way because you're from fresh water! ;)

My first post about this was how I've seen a good deal of unmaintained fresh-water boats and how since you "have" to take care of a salt water boat some may actually be in better shape. My view on this stems because some fesh water boaters tend to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to salt, like there's some kind of salt water monster. Seeing posts over the years like "I'm going to use my boat in salt water once, do you think it will ruin my engines?" I just laugh when I see that stuff.:lurk5:

I dont' think anyone is saying fresh is worse, there are just different things you need to look out for and neither are maintenance free. Sometimes I wish I was in fresh water so taking care of my boat would be that much easier. In fact the majority seem agree salt has much worse long-term effects than fresh, I don't think that's debatable...:seeya:

PM203
10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Freshwater or saltwater. Will it really matter 50 years from now? Use your boats and enjoy them. Life is too short.

DAREDEVIL
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
freshwater or saltwater. Will it really matter 50 years from now? Use your boats and enjoy them. Life is too short.

+1 :usa:

Geronimo36
10-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Freshwater or saltwater. Will it really matter 50 years from now? Use your boats and enjoy them. Life is too short.

Amen!:26:

FASTERDAD
10-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Fun thread, good debating, lot's of good info. P.S. Daredevil your OK.

DAREDEVIL
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Fun thread, good debating, lot's of good info. P.S. Daredevil your OK.

Thanks,,,not that i didn't know that ,,,,LOL:sifone: