PDA

View Full Version : 31 years ago today

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
My Father and Navigator Ralph Linero set the Miami to New York outboard record on this day August 18, 1978 in a Pantera 24' powered by twin Mercury 2.4 outboards.

Here are a few pics. from this record.

Regards,

JO

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Here are a few more of M-24 at Lake X.

baddogz28
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Covering that kinda distance takes some serious COJONES.

Thanks for posting the pics, Jo. :)

duunoit
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Don't know if you know this about it...

Pepe said that they did most of it at night and of course there was NO gps...

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
My Father and Ralph Linero set the Miami to New York Outboard Record from Miami to New York in a Pantera 24' powered by twin Mercury 2.4 outboards on August 18, 1978.Here are a few pics.

JO

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
A few more pics. from M-24 at Lake X.

Shawn
08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice Pictures, Jo. Who's that little punk kid out in front in all the pictures? Hope you all are doing well.

Shawn

lucky strike
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
How long did the run take ?

The good old days.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I had 2 danforth compasses, (which by the way I did not have time to get them swung)
and an RDF from an airplane that my navigator Ralph Linero borrowed and "most" of the charts. Almost forgot a VHF. and the desire of a 28 y/o has!
Now you know some of the story.
pp.
PS, maybe Jo can scan the Powerboat article by my friend John Crouse if anybody cares.
and YES I am a legend in my own mind. LOL

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
42 hours and change
pp.

tsp
08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
What a great moment in Pantera history. I am just curious as to what design changes, if any, you did to the 24 from the lessons learned from that run?

rchevelle71
08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats guys!!!

Dude! Sweet!
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Just went out and drank a toast to my twin ob 24. Heck it was only a year or so old when Pepe did the do!

Pepe, you're a madman! And I mean that in the best way! :sifone:

lowblue320
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
congrats, must feel good to have this record all these years...

boatme
08-18-2009, 10:31 PM
very cool

Ratickle
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd like to move this thread to the Dock for more input, then would move it back into the Pantera section when you say.

If okay with you.

People need to reflect on, and learn about, some of the crazy things these guys did. And did them with class......:)

Buoy
08-18-2009, 10:55 PM
This is one of the many reasons Pantera is a legend (at least to me), and one of the reasons I always wanted a 24.

Ratickle
08-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Jo agreed to let me move it. I hope he, and his Father, finish this story. I can't imagine doing it. And I'm kinda nuts......:sifone:

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Here are a few more pics. of the record setting Pantera 24'.

I am sure my Father will post tomorrow a great story or two about their record run. I was 7 years old at the time. I do remember seeing my Father and Ralph pulling away from the dock.

I will try and post the Powerboat article written by John Crouse tomorrow.

JO

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
My Father giving me a few pointers on how to throttle a boat back in early 1978.

Then came the Pantera 28' with triple 2.4 Mercs. in 1979.

JO

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
This picture was taken in Italy in 1980 of the Pantera 28' triple outboard M-24.

My Father is the only guy I know that has traveled to Italy twice in one week. He raced @ Viareggio one weekend, came back and raced the Benihana race on a Wednesday went back and raced in Venice, all in one week.

The races in Europe at that time were way over 200 miles in length, so he put over 500 miles of Open Ocean behing him in one week! For that he won the Italian Championship.

JO

PS, Yes he had 2 identical 28' Panteras. one here and one over in Europe.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
A few more pics. of M-24.

JO

Buoy
08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
JO, I love it when you and your Dad bring this stuff up!
This is great stuff!

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I am glad you enjoy it. I have many more great old pics. I can continue to post.

JO

Buoy
08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I am glad you enjoy it. I have many more great old pics. I can continue to post.

JO

During this era, I was about 10 yrs. old. And I read every article in my Fathers boating magazines. It was the only avenue I had to find out more about these boats, and it obviously became a part of my life that formed me, now, almost 30 years later, I still just love this stuff.
You are more than encouraged to post as much as you want of this type of history. I am certain I'm not alone in the appreciation of it.
Thanks for taking the time to participate and share.
Many of us truly enjoy the education.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd like to move this thread to the Dock for more input, then would move it back into the Pantera section when you say.

If okay with you.

People need to reflect on, and learn about, some of the crazy things these guys did. And did them with class......:)

I have been called a lot of things b4, but class???

Never been a Dom Perignon drinker (@ least not often) I am a Bud guy, a little rough around the edges.

Later,
pp.

PS, rather than me make a recount of the trip, I will let you guys (the ones that are interested in this topic) ask the questions and I will try to answer!

Scotty B
08-19-2009, 09:46 AM
One of the many reasons I am proud to own a Pantera.

Scotty B
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Great moment in offshore racing history, I am proud to own a Pantera and proud to consider the Nunez family my friends

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
What a great moment in Pantera history. I am just curious as to what design changes, if any, you did to the 24 from the lessons learned from that run?

None!
pp.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Great moment in offshore racing history, I am proud to own a Pantera and proud to consider the Nunez family my friends

Same here buddy!
When are you going to take me on a 200 mph's run?
I want to be scared. You know what I have said,
unless you are scared, you are not going fast enough.
pp. :sifone:

Scotty B
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
unless you are scared, you are not going fast enough.

I would be honored and I have heard you say that so many times when I was racing my Pantera its burned in my brain.

PS. I scare myself every race LOL

Big Time
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
My Father and Ralph Linero set the Miami to New York Outboard Record from Miami to New York in a Pantera 24' powered by twin Mercury 2.4 outboards on August 18, 1978.Here are a few pics.

JO

Impressive even with today's technology to complete that course in a 24 Ft boat, let alone 31 yrs ago!!

I like revisiting some of these old stories that I remember being told as a kid but now can appreciate as an adult.

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I have been called a lot of things b4, but class???

Never been a Dom Perignon drinker (@ least not often) I am a Bud guy, a little rough around the edges.

Later,
pp.

PS, rather than me make a recount of the trip, I will let you guys (the ones that are interested in this topic) ask the questions and I will try to answer!

Pepe, how did you keep your cigars lit out in the Atlantic?! :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Landshark! :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
By the way, how many places is this thread up and running? :D

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
The Nunez family are some of my favorite people. The fact that they build cool boats is almost a bonus to that. I too wear my "Pantera Colors" with pride! :sifone:

I will also say that my fellow Pantera owners that I've met over the last few years are some of the best guys I've met in boating. Becoming a part of La Familia Pantera seems to take a certain personality type... From Florida, to Georgia, to Tennessee, to Michigan, to Arizona and Sweden... Good dudes all around.

opa
08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
i have had a pantera in my family since 1986 now im up to four of them

Ratickle
08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Okay, chatted with Jo. Merged the two threads in here so everyone can enjoy and ask questions without jumping back and forth.....:)

And Jo, Class in a raceboat has nothing to go with what you drink......:sifone:

Ratickle
08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Okay, 40 plus hours in a 24 foot boat from Miami to New York......

Did you run the outside mostly? And I'm working on the miles, does anyone know what it would be close?

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Nice work Bill! Who else has owned four or more Panteras?

Ratickle
08-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice work Bill! Who else has owned four or more Panteras?

Besides Bill, Jo, and Pepe????

Gotta be a short list...:)

duunoit
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
That guy that asked the question has owned 4, as have I. Does it matter that we have 3 of them in common? :sifone:

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Okay, chatted with Jo. Merged the two threads in here so everyone can enjoy and ask questions without jumping back and forth.....:)

And Jo, Class in a raceboat has nothing to go with what you drink......:sifone:

By the way it was me "pepe" that replied in this thread under Jo- Pantera Boats. I sign my posts w/ pp.
I am to lazy to have my own user name. Maybe in due time I will be even considered an "icon", who knows!

To set the record straight: Jo does not drink smoke ETC ETC,
I do that for him.
Later,
"pp" :sifone:

Ms PatriYacht
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM

a few people might have 4, but how many have one hanging from the ceiling of their very own bar:sifone:

Ms PatriYacht
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Congrats, that's still a serious fete even for today

Pepe and Jo are you going to be in Key West for the races,

If so it gives me an idea for a party; something like............Serious Legends

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Okay, 40 plus hours in a 24 foot boat from Miami to New York......

Did you run the outside mostly? And I'm working on the miles, does anyone know what it would be close?

That was the "plan" up the coast of Fla and then to the Carolinas and up the coast.

BUT as plans go a lot of times, it was getting late in the window for weather,
the best weather is found in Mid July.
The 2.4 Merc motors which were new @ the time would not run right @ all,
I built that boat in the spring of 78, went to a couple of races up north in Ohio and Benihana in NJ all DNF's I took the boat to Lake X where it would run perfect, would sea trial in the ocean and the carburators would not cooperate! Merc would even send guys to work and sea trial here in miami, it got better in the ocean but nothing to write home about.

Since it was getting "late" for the weather window, Me and Ralph Linero (navigator) decided it was time to s*it or get off the pot. So I figured that if the boat made it up to Palm Bch I would save face.
Well to make the long story short, the boat and motors ran flawless up to NY.
Needless to say, we did not have all the charts for the trip (figured I knew how to get to Palm Bch) not enough food etc.

All we had for traveling the distance was 2 compasses that were not swung,
an RDF borrowed and a VHF and the surprise that we were getting far away from home.

There was an incident where we ran aground on a sand bar in South Carolina and my wife Linda since not hearing from me, chartered a small plane to go and look for me
at 2 AM never mind that she is scared of flying up to this day, but she is a tough lady!
Talking about South Carolina, we were halted by local authorities thinking that we were smugglers or poachers. needless to say, it took a lot of explaining to the cops that we were setting a record.

I have a lot of anecdotes from that run. Just don't have the time right now.
Later,
pp @ pantera :sifone: yes it is me "pp"

PS, one quick one, we stayed @ the Ritz in the city and my navigator was found by his wife the next AM fully sleeping in the toilet!

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
a few people might have 4, but how many have one hanging from the ceiling of their very own bar:sifone:

Billy, whats up?
pp.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Congrats, that's still a serious fete even for today

Pepe and Jo are you going to be in Key West for the races,

If so it gives me an idea for a party; something like............Serious Legends

Sounds good, except people tell me that I do NOT take myself too serious!
My underwear is not too tight.
pp.

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Give me time... :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Lil' DC Scotty has had 4 too, I think. And if you count up the years of Dr. Merola's 28, they may be close too! :D

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Give me time... :sifone:

Time?
Hurry up and make sure that you buy NEW from me! :drool5:
I also have to eat.
Later,
pp

Dude! Sweet!
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Time?
I also have to eat.
Later,
pp

C'mon Pepe! I keep trying to talk everyone else into buying new boats from you guys! I do what I can! :sifone: (we should call that the "Pepe smilely, I've never seen a picture or Pepe in person without a cigar!)

rchevelle71
08-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Time?
I also have to eat.
Later,
pp

When I win the Powerball tonight, we will talk about two in each size, one I/O, one O/B:sifone:

32storm
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Did you do anything different with the construction of this 24 for this long distance run vs a regular 24 that you were building at the time?

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Did you do anything different with the construction of this 24 for this long distance run vs a regular 24 that you were building at the time?

No, @ the time technology was no where near what it is today.
They were all hand laid up and heavy, that is why there are so many of those Panteras (30+ years old) still around.

Even today, I do what I know works, unless a customer is adamant about somethig other, I like to build the boats "my way" which from experience I know what works! We have done plenty of racing (abuse) which in a fancy term is R/D.

Later,
pp @ pantera.

Mikeb4
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
That was the "plan" up the coast of Fla and then to the Carolinas and up the coast.

All we had for traveling the distance was 2 compasses that were not swung,
an RDF borrowed and a VHF and the surprise that we were getting far away from home.

There was an incident where we ran aground on a sand bar in South Carolina and my wife Linda since not hearing from me, chartered a small plane to go and look for me
at 2 AM never mind that she is scared of flying up to this day, but she is a tough lady!
Talking about South Carolina, we were halted by local authorities thinking that we were smugglers or poachers. needless to say, it took a lot of explaining to the cops that we were setting a record.

I have a lot of anecdotes from that run. Just don't have the time right now.
Later,
pp @ pantera :sifone: yes it is me "pp"

PS, one quick one, we stayed @ the Ritz in the city and my navigator was found by his wife the next AM fully sleeping in the toilet!

Absolutely friggin awesome :driving: ....... some things haven't changed Pepe, the newer boats reflect of this awesome heritage with performance and quality, they will also be around for a long time!! tell us more :bigear:

cashbrain
08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Pepe is one of that last real legends and a gentleman. What an incredible history for Pepe,Jo, and Pantera. Much respect,my friend.

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
:cuss:
Absolutely friggin awesome :driving: ....... some things haven't changed Pepe, the newer boats reflect of this awesome heritage with performance and quality, they will also be around for a long time!! tell us more :bigear:

I will get Jo to scan the Powerboat magazine article and post it here.
Later,
pp. :sifone: :cuss:

ar15meister
08-20-2009, 11:42 AM
great story.

I love my Pantera. The heritage is alive launching off rollers in the great white north.

blackhawk
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
That took some serious stones to do that 31 years ago, and in a 24' boat. TONS of respect for you Pepe!

Just curious, how long did the record stand?

32storm
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
That took some serious stones to do that 31 years ago, and in a 24' boat. TONS of respect for you Pepe!

No shizit. How many would make the run today? Especially in a 24' with eggbeaters. Helluva run.

32storm
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
What type of water were you running in? How far could you run before having to refuel?

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
What type of water were you running in? How far could you run before having to refuel?

The run was not that hard or tough / dangerous to do!
The problem w/ a lot of racers today is that IF the water is over 4 feet, they consider it "rough water" Yes the boats today are much faster, BUT if you run 120 mph's in flat water, you should be able to run 100 in 4's and 80 in 6's

Back in the day, we did not care about the wave heights, if you did, you had no reason to race offshore!

We started the run in Miami, like I said b4, it was getting late in the summer, so I figured since the boat never ran 100%, if I made it to Palm Bch, I would save face, but the boat that day ran awesome and made it all the way.
The problem was the water conditions, when we left Miami @ 5:45 AM, it was nice 3 to 4's, by noon it was close to 6's, of course we were not making good time, that is when we decided to try the intracoastal, we were making decent time there.

I didnt know that The ICW has places in the Carolinas that is extremely wide!
You don't see shorelines.

Anyway it is a long story.
The next venture will be someday in the future to cross the Atlantic from Bermuda to New York, or maybe Miami? Who Knows. All I know is that it will be in a Pantera built by ME.

Later,
pp @ pantera boats. (NOT JO)

PS, About the range = about 200 miles, my memory fails, but I have a log book somewhere that we kept the planned stops etc. As I have said it b4, sometimes planning doesn't work, so you have to improvise on the fly and that is what we did.

opa
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
hey pepe that reminds me of the day you took me out on st.clair to show me how to run my 28 when it was new, it was easy for you , full blast i will never forget i s#%t my pants but now i know what that beast can take!!

bill

JO - PANTERABOAT
08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
hey pepe that reminds me of the day you took me out on st.clair to show me how to run my 28 when it was new, it was easy for you , full blast i will never forget i s#%t my pants but now i know what that beast can take!!

bill

:driving: :rofl: :ack2:
pepe. :sifone:

rchevelle71
08-21-2009, 02:20 PM
i will never forget i s#%t my pants

EEEWWWWWWW:leaving::puke::eek: