PDA

View Full Version : Michigan City Reactions Locally...

Coach
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
FYI...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=25068

Check Out what the locals think...

This is the front page article this morning!

Whats really happened is how the powerboat family from around the area came together, the past weekend in Michigan City...

redhotsommer
08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Awesome facility...great turnout...never had so many people ask me if I was racing my boat!

HTMike
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Awesome turnout ! Glad to see everyone make it this year. Hopefully more events come out this way next year.

Coach
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I caught up with Paul Kemiel the sports photographer the CVB locally was utilizing for the weekend... http://www.paulkemielphotographics.com

Paul is my cousin's husband and has covered racing events for decades!

His comment that is pounding in my mind is " most of the spectators at the race were new race fans, having never seen an offshore event before" he said it was an incredible spectacle! A whole fleet of powerboat enthusiasts from Chicago area came over in mass! Hundreds of pleasure craft and hot boats!

I think the event was a smash hit! Home-run out of the ballpark!

Great Job SBI, and all the teams who made the race a reality...

Coach

Twin Whackas
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
What an awesome weekend. Michigan City has been my home port for many years and this was the best boating weekend ever around MC. The beach was packed and their were spectator boats as far as you could see. I can't say enough as to how approachable and friendly all of the teams were. I really hope this event returns to MC as it was great for the boating community. I have tons of pictures to post once I get time to download them.

Magic Medicine
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Awesome facility...great turnout...never had so many people ask me if I was racing my boat!

What an awesome weekend. Michigan City has been my home port for many years and this was the best boating weekend ever around MC. The beach was packed and their were spectator boats as far as you could see. I can't say enough as to how approachable and friendly all of the teams were. I really hope this event returns to MC as it was great for the boating community. I have tons of pictures to post once I get time to download them.

x2!

I have been boating out of michigan city for 30 years and I have to say this was the best weekend ever! Great people, good times, sick racing and great drinks! Hats off to everyone involved with the event!:driving:

Coach
08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
When you go to Paul's website click on the drop down menu item titled Professional Boat Racing... There are 4 galleries there, with incredible shots!

Tana Moore, Propeller Magazine said this:

"Paul Kemiel has taken some of the most wonderful boat racing shots ever and many of them are right here. "

Check these out until Paul can upload Michigan City...

www.paulkemielphotographics.com

T2x
08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Paul Kemiel is, was, and always will be....the bomb!

I have tremendous respect for him and his knowlege is second to none.... a truly great artist...and a great guy.

T2x

ApachePete
08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Paul took some great shots of us in the Saugatuck race in 1991.

I've got to dig them up.

Offshore Ginger
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Paul took some great shots of us in the Saugatuck race in 1991.

I've got to dig them up. please do damitt................ not many races ever came out of Saugatuck but ............ that was one of the better ones , and talk about the buzz i got after work at Skater thanks to Pete the night prior to the race .:26:

Offshore Ginger
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Pete i have to tell you that everytime i was going out to the big lake we seemed to pass each other and my Mag seemed like a little toy compaired to your Apache and when ever i seen Pete in his Slick craft with is family my mag seemed like a big boat . Pete did you ever see Pete get towed in ha ha ha ha ha ?

MrCig
08-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I have been to many races here on Lake Michigan (Saugatuck, Grand Haven Chicago) and I must say Michigan City was the best. For the 1st. time putting on a race in this town with the economy in the tank and all the nay sayers I think everyone did a great job!!!!

if only some people would figure out that the only way this sport will grow is if we get everyone to be postive and promote the sport with POSITIVE comments or at least be constructive with your comments. To many people seem to know everything about everthing. That is until they are asked to help then they sit on their a$$es and just point fingers.

So I say we give a big thumbs up to this years race, and can't wait to see it bigger and better next year.

Thanks to all who helped put this race on. I had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark:driving:

Coach
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I have been to many races here on Lake Michigan (Saugatuck, Grand Haven Chicago) and I must say Michigan City was the best. For the 1st. time putting on a race in this town with the economy in the tank and all the nay sayers I think everyone did a great job!!!!

if only some people would figure out that the only way this sport will grow is if we get everyone to be postive and promote the sport with POSITIVE comments or at least be constructive with your comments. To many people seem to know everything about everthing. That is until they are asked to help then they sit on their a$$es and just point fingers.

So I say we give a big thumbs up to this years race, and can't wait to see it bigger and better next year.

Thumbs up on that!

Magic Medicine
08-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Well put Mark!

Coach
08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Paul Kemiel is, was, and always will be....the bomb!

I have tremendous respect for him and his knowlege is second to none.... a truly great artist...and a great guy.

T2x

Michigan City's SBI Great Lakes Grand Prix photos are viewable now at:

www.paulkemielphotographics.com

:seeya:

jmill36
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM

No Cig, thank YOU!
We couldn't have done it without all you guys. The year's worth of work I put into this completely was paid off the second I saw the first boat pull in Thursday night and the fans like you guys already lining up to look. Unbelievable and amazing.
Thanks again!

Coach
08-12-2009, 11:55 AM
There are so many details, to be covered, connected, collaborated on, and followed through with. The effort goes on and on, and to see it come to view and have such a positive reaction, is a tribute to your perseverance and dedication!

Bravo to you Jason,

Coach

jmill36
08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
There are so many details, to be covered, connected, collaborated on, and followed through with. The effort goes on and on, and to see it come to view and have such a positive reaction, is a tribute to your perseverance and dedication!

Bravo to you Jason,

Coach

Thanks Coach.
You the man!

MarylandMark
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
From the article: Stephanie Balch, with McGinnis Pub, had a constant flow of customers at the beer tent.

:biggrinjester: