PDA

View Full Version : Class Question

mikey
08-06-2009, 06:24 PM
So as I was reading all the conversations I thought of an idea which I'm sure has been done before but with nine classes at a race and up to four classes in one race on the course this might help the fans understand.

In motocross we had different colored backgrounds to show what class each bike was in and also to help the racers indentify the bikes in their class. Even in the pro ranks they use colors as well, may only be black and white but you know just by looking. The classes overseas use different color bows to help identify the class and that was imported by the OSS at the start of the season and from fan feedback seemed to help. The problem I see with bows is that it can be hard to see because sometimes the areas were to small. It was a GREAT idea and may still work.

My idea is to put color backgrounds behind each of the classes from 6 to extreme. These could include cat light, cat outboard, vee light, 750 and 850. In Key West I was asked about the 750 and 850 classes and how they were different because these fans could not tell by just looking at the boats who were racing on the course at the same time. They asked if there was away they could mark the so everyone could know the difference. In each program, which each race has, there can be a listing of what the colors are as what classes they represent. You would be surprised how many people read these programs and ask questions from them. Even sometimes get the teams to sign them. While this will help the fans understand the classes it was also help the numbers stand out. As most people know OPA has dropped the P for a few years now and gone with just the class number before the boats number. With the color of the class behind the number we might be able to do away with that third number that so many people ask about. Again this is just an idea from someone who knows most of these boats by heart but knows it still hard for people to understand. Bracket class racing I think is here to stay and we need to do all that we can to help fans better understand. Again I am sure this has been done before but just an idea.

TYPHOON
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree. Is turbine OK with pink?
MD

Ratickle
08-06-2009, 07:20 PM
MD

Troublemaker........:sifone:

It would be hard to make that work I think. But, the main color, or a large outline, of the numbers could be a certain color.

I still think the first number should designate class. But, I ran two classes with the same boat. And so did several others. How would that get handled?

mikey
08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
MD

Now ok dont hold that against me:26:

mikey
08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Troublemaker........:sifone:

It would be hard to make that work I think. But, the main color, or a large outline, of the numbers could be a certain color.

I still think the first number should designate class. But, I ran two classes with the same boat. And so did several others. How would that get handled?

While the idea of the main color or the outline could it work it would be hard to see on some boats. If its the background it would stand out against the hull and the numbers.

The problem is that say in class six you have a green with black numbers on a white back ground. A yellow boat has red numbers on a yellow hull. While you can see the six for the most part its still hard to tell they are racing together. If you have one color per class you knows boats are together even in lap traffic.

You have a valid point about boats running in different classes and if this idea came to the table there would be away to deal with that. Remember this is only an idea. Paul let me think about it....

Sean H
08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
With 13-15 classes out there racing today, you are going to run out of colors....

Ideally, we would just drop the 1 from in front of the 13-15 classes racing.

If you and Val struggle with keeping up during a race, I can only imagine what people think who don't live this stuff. Different classes, speeds, lap counts, boat styles, engines, colors, canopies, open boats..... and that was just the first race.

mikey
08-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Sean I agree with you about having enough colors would be tough but if it would help the fans and maybe bring more then I am sure it could be done. I also realize that because of the colors of some of these boats it will be tough to pick a color to work.

Its has nothing to do with me and being tough. I was simply looking at away to make it easier for everyone. I know a lot of the boats if not most of them and for the most part know who is driving what. Remember a lot of my info comes from race control or registration so its not always correct.

Sean what did you think of the Bow Colors that OSS started to use this year?

Sean H
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM
It needed to be more uniform amongst all the teams. Some teams did it, some didn't, some made it part of their paint job, some stuck on stickers. I think that boat numbers should be a standard size and font and make the actual number the color you want with a black border around it inside a white circle or rectangle. Maybe the org should issue the number badges? Then they would all match among all the teams, looking more uniform and professional at the same time of being easier to read on the course. (You could also sell the naming rights to the badge if every team had to have it.)

mikey
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
It needed to be more uniform amongst all the teams. Some teams did it, some didn't, some made it part of their paint job, some stuck on stickers. I think that boat numbers should be a standard size and font and make the actual number the color you want with a black border around it inside a white circle or rectangle. Maybe the org should issue the number badges? Then they would all match among all the teams, looking more uniform and professional at the same time of being easier to read on the course. (You could also sell the naming rights to the badge if every team had to have it.)

To do it on a white background or black would work as well. I agree with you on the fact that it was not uniform among all the teams and like i said before it could still work. When you say badges do you mean numbers like NASCAR or even mx/sx?

Anyone else have any input on this idea?

Wahoo 214
08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Mike, you are right. I was lectured today by a group of "fans" from St Clair that suggested the same thing. They "were completely lost" and had no idea who was racing who. They gave up and went to drink! Either a colored bow or number background combos would go a long way

mikey
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Dean and I have had that same talk with fans before in fact many times. We can talk more in Patchouge.

Ratickle
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Kind of fits in with Matt Trulio's thread about racing....

mikey
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Kind of fits in with Matt Trulio's thread about racing....

That is what me have the thought of how to make it more fan friendly.

Ratickle
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
As far as running out of colors, the Production classes could all have the 3 digits on white background, but different colored numbers.

The spec classes could have Class plus number, but could reuse the colors. WOuld cut it down some.

How close to shore can the boats run safely. We definitely did run farther out than they ran last year.

Fast Shafts
08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
My 16 year old niece accompanied me to the St. Clair race, her first. I explained to her that the first digit represents the class, and that although there are multiple race boats on the course, the race boats only race against boats with the same first digit. She didn't have any trouble following my boat in class 6.
Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up Racing

boatme
08-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I have said this a number of times on these threads

they need to wrap the first 6 foot of boat with a vinal wrap of the color corrasponding with the class

they need to reduce the amount of classes I counted 11 checkered flags no wonder so many are confused

I stood with a major boat manufacturer last year in St Clair and he was confused as to who won

that says it all to me when a well known, and long producer, of top race boats cant figure it out

Fast Shafts
08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I think boat racing is "fan friendly"-both the dry pits and wet pits were open to the public, does this happen at a local race car track?

Did you know that NHRA has over 200 classes, but usually the top 3 classes are on television.

Boatme, who is the "well known and long producer, of top race boats and who can't figure it out" ???

Ratickle
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
This thread and Trulio's story thread almost should be combined. I keep going back and forth....

Sean H
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
You can go in the pits/garages at about just any level of auto racing if you choose/pay to.

I think the non-racing parts of offshore are fan friendly, it's just when it hits the water where you lose some people. Anything you can do to keep the fans informed/involved is a good thing (more speakers for the announcers, bigger/better number and labeling system, more accurate info given to the people broadcasting the events, etc.... most of that is free or relatively cheap to do in the grand scheme of things.)

Ratickle
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
You can go in the pits/garages at about just any level of auto racing if you choose/pay to.

What he was saying, I think, it was free at St. Clair and only $10 for everything at Harrison. Admission, dry pits, wet pits, parking, cart rides, etc.

Not happening at any auto race I know of.

Sean H
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
What he was saying, I think, it was free at St. Clair and only $10 for everything at Harrison. Admission, dry pits, wet pits, parking, cart rides, etc.

Not happening at any auto race I know of.

Maybe true, but in economies of scale it is about the same. Paying an extra 75 bucks to get into the Formula 1 pits at Indy is the same as being free at an offshore race. :sifone: I wouldn't go to any kind of race if I couldn't get up close to the actual race vehicles.

And kinda off topic, I hope fans aren't really allowed in the wet/hot pits area, the cranes are no place for fans/kids etc. I know in OSS and SBI it is a crew/official only thing.

DAREDEVIL
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I have said this a number of times on these threads

they need to wrap the first 6 foot of boat with a vinal wrap of the color corrasponding with the class

they need to reduce the amount of classes I counted 11 checkered flags no wonder so many are confused

I stood with a major boat manufacturer last year in St Clair and he was confused as to who won

that says it all to me when a well known, and long producer, of top race boats cant figure it out

I hate to say it,,,but i am with u !!!!!!!!!!!

Ratickle
08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Maybe true, but in economies of scale it is about the same. Paying an extra 75 bucks to get into the Formula 1 pits at Indy is the same as being free at an offshore race. :sifone: I wouldn't go to any kind of race if I couldn't get up close to the actual race vehicles.

And kinda off topic, I hope fans aren't really allowed in the wet/hot pits area, the cranes are no place for fans/kids etc. I know in OSS and SBI it is a crew/official only thing.

Not the Crane Area. Only paid OPA members were allowed there.

Ratickle
08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

The pits at Key West were $75 each last year.

mikey
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I hate to say it,,,but i am with u !!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said before I think that bracket class racing is here to stay and its for people like DareDevil becasue it gives everyone a place to race. That being said I love spec class racing becasue its fun and easy but not everyone can afford it. DareDevil do you agree?

Boat Me if that works to do the first 6 feet of each boat then lets do it. Remember this is an idea thread not saying anything bad about the sport. Thanks to everyone for their input. I have some other ideas but I would like to see where this goes first.

mikey
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
In OPA OSS and SBI only race team memebers are allowed in the pits that is true.

Think about this, how many people would have been in St Clair last weekend if they had to pay 10 bucks to get into the pits or on the whole street? I think one thing that attracts the people to that event is that its FREE!!!!

Ratickle
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
In OPA OSS and SBI only race team memebers are allowed in the pits that is true.

Think about this, how many people would have been in St Clair last weekend if they had to pay 10 bucks to get into the pits or on the whole street? I think one thing that attracts the people to that event is that its FREE!!!!

Plus, it's an event - not just a boat race.

Skiffs, Concerts, Vendors, Inflatable Cats, etc.

mikey
08-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Plus, it's an event - not just a boat race.

Skiffs, Concerts, Vendors, Inflatable Cats, etc.

I have always thought that race should be the model for all of them. Remeber there is a promotions company that does a lot of work for all the activites that take place.

DAREDEVIL
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Like I said before I think that bracket class racing is here to stay and its for people like DareDevil becasue it gives everyone a place to race. That being said I love spec class racing becasue its fun and easy but not everyone can afford it. DareDevil do you agree?

Boat Me if that works to do the first 6 feet of each boat then lets do it. Remember this is an idea thread not saying anything bad about the sport. Thanks to everyone for their input. I have some other ideas but I would like to see where this goes first.

Mikey,,i agree with that too,,although when i boght my boat...the idea was to have a plesure boat that i can take racing...OK it really never happend with the plesure boating or the racing.LOL
I do like spec class better but i would say @ this time the racing needs the P- classes to get more boats ,,,no matter what org. your with.
Cheaper??????? no ,,i would say same exept for the entry fees ,,but in a P-calss boat your more likeley gonna brake stuff more often then in spec class.
But that also depends on what or how u set up your P- boat.
I would love to see A and B class aswell as the factory classes back.
Then the ,super v unlimited and cats.
If i would run the show (anywhere) it would look like this.:

F-1, single engine 500 HP
F-2, twin 500 HP
A, single max 540 NA or 510 Blower max 32 feet
B, twin max 540 NA or 510 Blower max 38 feet
Super Stock Cat outboard, 250's
Cat light, 525's
Super Cat 750 combined with 850, self spoken for
Super V unlimited, twin max 540 NA or 510 Blower only canopy only 38+ feet
EXTREME CLASS for both V + Cat, WHAT EVER U CAN AFORD incl. turbines.
That would be 9 classes of WOT racing and it would actually take up all the P classes, with alot more fun and action.
Price purse would pay down all first 5 places.
entry fees would be tha same for everybody,same with equipment fee.

But what do i know ?!:ack2:

skaterdave
08-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Mikey,,i agree with that too,,although when i boght my boat...the idea was to have a plesure boat that i can take racing...OK it really never happend with the plesure boating or the racing.LOL
I do like spec class better but i would say @ this time the racing needs the P- classes to get more boats ,,,no matter what org. your with.
Cheaper??????? no ,,i would say same exept for the entry fees ,,but in a P-calss boat your more likeley gonna brake stuff more often then in spec class.
But that also depends on what or how u set up your P- boat.
I would love to see A and B class aswell as the factory classes back.
Then the ,super v unlimited and cats.
If i would run the show (anywhere) it would look like this.:

F-1, single engine 500 HP
F-2, twin 500 HP
A, single max 540 NA or 510 Blower max 32 feet
B, twin max 540 NA or 510 Blower max 38 feet
Super Stock Cat outboard, 250's
Cat light, 525's
Super Cat 750 combined with 850, self spoken for
Super V unlimited, twin max 540 NA or 510 Blower only canopy only 38+ feet
EXTREME CLASS for both V + Cat, WHAT EVER U CAN AFORD incl. turbines.
That would be 9 classes of WOT racing and it would actually take up all the P classes, with alot more fun and action.
Price purse would pay down all first 5 places.
entry fees would be tha same for everybody,same with equipment fee.

But what do i know ?!:ack2:

wow great idea daredevil, that really solves things. you'd fit right in working for the gov't. lets try to make it easier for the fans by taking 9 classes and turning them into to 9 different classes???

DAREDEVIL
08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
wow great idea daredevil, that really solves things. you'd fit right in working for the gov't. lets try to make it easier for the fans by taking 9 classes and turning them into to 9 different classes???

Dave,,the only thing u do is always talk BS.
What do u do for the sport other then that ????
Whats your ideas other then $$$$$ ????
I dont think its the classes that really confuise people ,, i think its the same boats in diffrent classes .

but anyhow,,your the man .:seeya:

Ratickle
08-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Dave,,the only thing u do is always talk BS.
What do u do for the sport other then that ????
Whats your ideas other then $$$$$ ????
I dont think its the classes that really confuise people ,, i think its the same boats in diffrent classes .

but anyhow,,your the man .:seeya:

I said once before, we need a discussion without ANY personal bashing. Bash the messages if you want, not the opinion. All opinions are welcome. Okay?????

DAREDEVIL
08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I said once before, we need a discussion without ANY personal bashing. Bash the messages if you want, not the opinion. All opinions are welcome. Okay?????

Sorry,,i hope that it was not me bashing ?????
Dave and i are just pulling each other strings some times.
We actually come along pretty good in real live.

Peace DAVE.:kiss:

Ratickle
08-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Sorry,,i hope that it was not me bashing ?????
Dave and i are just pulling each other strings some times.
We actually come along pretty good in real live.

Peace DAVE.:kiss:

Thanks. There are a lot of people talking about what's going on. I think all ideas should be thrown out there for discussion, and then the best really discussed.

But I hate to see some people be intimidated because they think they may be slammed. Been way to much of that in the past.

DAREDEVIL
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Nothing can intimidate me,,,,,my only problem is i am broke .LOL:sifone:

Just like the other 50 million people in america. :USA:

NO LETS HEAR SOME MORE IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratickle
08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Nothing can intimidate me,,,,,

I kinda noticed that.:sifone: