PDA

View Full Version : A letter from a Mom at Puttin' on the Wish II, Lake Norman!

Platinum Peace
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
My name is Kim Sanders. My son Chris Sanders, and my family (except me, who had to work) were able to attend the Puttin’ on the Wish at Lake Norman this year. I wanted to just write a quick “thank you” to all of the people involved in make this happen. The power speedboat ride that my son was able to experience is something that I know he will never forget! I was so excited just listening to him tell me how much fun he had out there that day. He was especially excited that he rode in the front of the boat! My husband was so grateful for the wonderful people who put this together for these kids. He couldn’t stop commenting on how friendly and caring everyone was to them. My children were beyond excited at the opportunity that you all provided to them to experience this.
I am not sure if I even wrote to the right person, but I hope so J So, from my family, we want to thank the Platinum Powerboat Club and everyone that made it possible for these children and their families to come and enjoy a day of food, fun and as my son said “awesome speed boat rides”.
( Chris was diagnosed with cancer last year, and it just brings tears to my eyes as I type, to know that there are people out there like you who care that much, to put on an event like this for him and all the other children out there who are going through a life threatening illness- THANK YOU!)
Kim Sanders.

This is why we do what we do! :)

OldSchool
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
That's awesome. Thanks so much for your efforts to help these kids and their families!! :)

Craig

Davidmnc
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Thank you for sharing this. Great job by the folks on the left side of the state! 37572

cigdaze
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
That's truly heartwarming.
:)

cosmic12
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank you for shareing the letter, wonderful story as I am sure there are alot more.

ChiefApache
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
I have tears in my eyes reading that letter.

That's wonderful Joy! God Bless you and everyone who helped out.

Platinum Peace
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Another really cool part of the weekend was having children who were there last year come back! Something really special is that some of the Platinum Powerboat Club members pulled their money together and donated $6,000.00 for Michael Cooper's bicycle that started at Smoke on the Water back in 2005! Michael's bike was given back to the club for the Ft. Myers event in October!! It has raised $13,000.00 so far!

MattBMiller
08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for posting that. Very cool

Magic Medicine
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
i have tears in my eyes reading that letter.

That's wonderful joy! God bless you and everyone who helped out.

x2

dockrocker
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Damn dust in my office, got something in my eye! ;)

Great work and hats off to the whole PPC.

Bobcat
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
thank you for sharing ! great job!

Platinum Peace
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
That dust got to alot of us last Friday!

Sea-Dated
08-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Awesome job to everyone who participated.....

MarylandMark
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
From Lake Trash (http://laketrash.com/content/LEGACY-PASSED-SMOKE-WATER-PLATNIUM-POWERBOAT-CLUB) for those that don't know the story:

Platinum Power Boat Club will be hosting a live auction benefiting Make a Wish Foundation of Southern Florida at Puttin' on the Wish, Palm Beach 2009 which will be held on March 12th in West Palm Beach Florida. At this auction will be a very special BMX bike that I'm going to refer to you as THE LEGACY. The legacy is a story about a very special young man named Michael Cooper and the people with big hearts who came to know him. Michael is a fallen child of Make A Wish Foundation of Michigan and if you ever met him, you would have seen his love for life and would surely have changed you. In 2002 and 2003, Michael attended the Smoke On The Water poker run and touched a lot of hearts. Michael's mother purchased him a new BMX bike but he would never get the chance to enjoy it in this life, but surely his spirit is riding it in heaven. Kelly, Michael's mother donated the bike to the Smoke On The Water poker run live auction in 2005. Before the auction began, the bike received a custom paint job from Michaud T. That night the legacy began. The bike was auctioned off twice that night to raise $3400. The final bidder that bought the bike donated it back to Kelly Cooper (Michael's Mom). After Kelly's recent discovery of Puttin' on the Wish, Palm Beach 2009, she knew that Michael's bicycle could help other Make A Wish children! She reaches out to "Smoke on the Water" liaison, Bob Luellen for his assistance. Bob quickly picked up the Bicycle and sent it to Powerboat Magazine to be on display at the 2009 Miami Boat Show. Michael's bicycle received an overwhelming response. With high expectations of granting many wishes the bike will be up for auction on March 12th during the Puttin' on the Wish live auction at Club Safari inside the Marriott in Palm Beach Gardens! To donate, join the event or volunteer for "Puttin' on the Wish" Palm Beach 2009 please contact Joy Schou at 239-470-6156 or joy@platinumpowerbpoatclub.com for more information on Puttin on the Wish go to http://www.platinumpowerboatclub.com/puttin_on_the_wish_palmbeach.html

Ratickle
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
From Lake Trash (http://laketrash.com/content/LEGACY-PASSED-SMOKE-WATER-PLATNIUM-POWERBOAT-CLUB) for those that don't know the story:

Platinum Power Boat Club will be hosting a live auction benefiting Make a Wish Foundation of Southern Florida at Puttin' on the Wish, Palm Beach 2009 which will be held on March 12th in West Palm Beach Florida. At this auction will be a very special BMX bike that I'm going to refer to you as THE LEGACY. The legacy is a story about a very special young man named Michael Cooper and the people with big hearts who came to know him. Michael is a fallen child of Make A Wish Foundation of Michigan and if you ever met him, you would have seen his love for life and would surely have changed you. In 2002 and 2003, Michael attended the Smoke On The Water poker run and touched a lot of hearts. Michael's mother purchased him a new BMX bike but he would never get the chance to enjoy it in this life, but surely his spirit is riding it in heaven. Kelly, Michael's mother donated the bike to the Smoke On The Water poker run live auction in 2005. Before the auction began, the bike received a custom paint job from Michaud T. That night the legacy began. The bike was auctioned off twice that night to raise $3400. The final bidder that bought the bike donated it back to Kelly Cooper (Michael's Mom). After Kelly's recent discovery of Puttin' on the Wish, Palm Beach 2009, she knew that Michael's bicycle could help other Make A Wish children! She reaches out to "Smoke on the Water" liaison, Bob Luellen for his assistance. Bob quickly picked up the Bicycle and sent it to Powerboat Magazine to be on display at the 2009 Miami Boat Show. Michael's bicycle received an overwhelming response. With high expectations of granting many wishes the bike will be up for auction on March 12th during the Puttin' on the Wish live auction at Club Safari inside the Marriott in Palm Beach Gardens! To donate, join the event or volunteer for "Puttin' on the Wish" Palm Beach 2009 please contact Joy Schou at 239-470-6156 or joy@platinumpowerbpoatclub.com for more information on Puttin on the Wish go to http://www.platinumpowerboatclub.com/puttin_on_the_wish_palmbeach.html

You need this.....:)

99fever27
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
:USA: Awesome things you guys are doing! :USA:

Statement
08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of doing one of these... Make it a priority..The joy that is given is "PRICELESS", We have had the pleasure of being part of these runs,and look forward to doing more. JOY , DAVE P. Keep up all the good work. STATEMENT is Proud to be part of anything you do..

Tony
08-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Thank you to all of the people who contributed and participated in this event. You all made a world of difference to a small and important handfull of people in this world.

Scarab KV
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks to all involved. It's a very special thing you do. Wish we had an event like that around here.

catastrophe
08-06-2009, 07:46 AM
For those that see the value in these events that are aimed at creating smiling faces watch for Platinums next event on the west coast of Florida in October.
If its heartwarming to read about its got to be 10X better to actually participate in.

I'm going to give up 2 months boating in Canada to transfer my boat to Florida to see this with my own eyes.

Tony
08-06-2009, 09:06 AM
After seeing the caliber of boats and players that showed up at Lake Norman, a west coast Florida event should bring all the big dogs out to play.

dockrocker
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
That was one of the best parts of the Smoke on the Water run - seeing the Make a Wish kids come out for a ride on Friday, huge smiles all around, was just priceless. Damn shame that run went away, IMHO.

cigdaze
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I can't wait for the next platinum run. See you all there.

Platinum Peace
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Plans are coming together nicely for Ft. Myers. Thank you Alec Cloke for hosting the Puttin' on the Wish, Fort Myers VIP Captains dinner party on Thursday, October 15th!! I just got off the phone with Make A Wish Foundation of Southern Florida and there are big plans under way! I'm excited!! There will be a 30 boat limit for the Poker Run on Saturday, October 17th. Registration should be up by next week!

MarylandMark
11-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Love the story so TTT...

Five Cent Worth
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for bringing it back up. Great story. Haven't read this thread before.

This albeit some crappy weather and not a very good turn out compared to '08. :cheers2: