PDA

View Full Version : Racing at 1000 Islands Poker Run ?

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Some friends were over last night that go to 1000 Islands Pr every year.
We all look forward to the boats coming to our town docks.

Its a great run but each year they get hassled by some law enforcement officer.

Lot of slow zones in it make it very important to pay attention to the spectator boats.
The police have made it known that the fast speed boats arent really safe to have there. They told that to the boaters at last years pre run meeting.
Its been going on for years like that with them.

One guy that came over was mad because he heard there was going to be drag racing this year that would put the whole event in jeopardy.
My uncle goes to PR all over and he said that at every meeting they are told not to race because its dangerous and if there is an accident your boat insurance wont pay you because every policy excludes racing.

So why would 1000 islands PR have racing?

phragle
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
are we talking sanctioned drag racing..or the typical, 1st one the the bridge/first card stop etc drag racing??? most people that see a poker run don't know the difference between it and a race. they just see big bright fancy loud boats going fast.

cigdaze
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Racing? At a poker run? No, that would never happen.

bluellama
07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
There will be NO RACING during the PRA's 1000 Islands Poker Run on Saturday. There is a seperate event on the Sunday that seems similar to the Hit the Mark event they used to run.
Go to PRA's website for more information.

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Dont confuse people here. Hit the Mark is a boater telling the judge in advance how fast he will go by a radar gun. Has NOTHING to do with fast speed.
On Sunday after the Poker Run PRA is having two boats race side by side to see who gets to a prescribed finish line first.

And THAT is racing and no poker runner has insurance for that. And Guaranteed PRA has no insurance for that.
And ALL of this breaks every single rule ever talked about in any drivers meeting.

bluellama
07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Dont confuse people here. Hit the Mark is a boater telling the judge in advance how fast he will go by a radar gun. Has NOTHING to do with fast speed.
On Sunday after the Poker Run PRA is having two boats race side by side to see who gets to a prescribed finish line first.

And THAT is racing and no poker runner has insurance for that. And Guaranteed PRA has no insurance for that.
And ALL of this breaks every single rule ever talked about in any drivers meeting.

Except there hasn't been a Driver's Meeting yet where this event was taking place. Stu is a pretty accessible guy, why don't you drop him an email and get the answer straight from PRA.
I am sure they have thought this through, guaranteeing that PRA has no insurance for the Sunday event is a pretty broad statement. Can you back it up? Or are you upset that Sunday's event is going to be in Gan and not Brockville?

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Except there hasn't been a Driver's Meeting yet where this event was taking place. Stu is a pretty accessible guy, why don't you drop him an email and get the answer straight from PRA.
I am sure they have thought this through, guaranteeing that PRA has no insurance for the Sunday event is a pretty broad statement. Can you back it up? Or are you upset that Sunday's event is going to be in Gan and not Brockville?

No one has to call anyone. They have to be able to read English.

Its racing and it puts the whole event at risk.

Gan?---Brockville? How about nowhere.

Anyone that participates puts all boaters insurance at risk.

Its at Gan and where on that river is it busier than there?

Every Town council on the river is being notified.

Dranks 'N Skanks
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Why the sour grapes. It sounds to me like it is all hearsay.

Stu should get on here and confirm.

Dranks 'N Skanks
07-30-2009, 05:43 PM
From the PRA site. Looks like they are staggering the start - 2 at a time for safety. Also looks like there is a speed limit.

NOTE: NEW STARTING PROCEDURE FOR KINGSTON THIS YEAR.

BECAUSE OF SAFETY CONCERNS, THE FOLLOWING STAGGERED START PROCEDURE MUST BE ADHERED TO OR DISQUALIFICATION WILL RESULT.

All boats proceed on their own time out of Confederation Basin heading northerly towards the LaSalle Causeway crossing the harbour. Mill there and wait. Stand by in pairs.

A “Start Boat” being a family-type cruiser with control flags flying, will be moored in the middle of the harbour close to the milling area.

Starts will be made at short intervals with TWO BOATS ONLY in each start.

Once the Wolfe Island ferry boat has departed its dock and the departure route is clear, the “Over 80 mph” pace boat(s) will depart past this “Start Boat” and take a broad sweeping route past the downtown harbour area.

Approximately 10 seconds later, the “Start Boat”, using a green flag, will signal the first two boats from the “Over 80 mph” group to depart. These boats will follow precisely the same course as the pace boats did at a MAXIMUM 50 MPH. Then after another approximately 10 seconds, another two “Over 80mph” boats will be signaled to start.

The above procedure will be followed until after all of the “Over 80 mph” boats have departed. The “Under 80 mph” pace boat(s) will follow exactly the same procedure, followed by all of the “Under 80 mph” boats, TWO by TWO, approximately 10 seconds apart, until all boats have departed.
-YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DESIGNATED ROUTE THROUGH THE HARBOUR

-MAXIMUM SPEED 50 MPH UNTIL AFTER YOU PASS CEDAR ISLAND

-THE ABOVE PROCEDURE IS FOR KINGSTON ONLY. NORMAL GROUP
STARTS WILL OCCUR AT BROCKVILLE AND AT PRESCOTT.

-AT BROCKVILLE, THE SLOW GROUP WILL START FIRST

-AT PRESCOTT, THE FAST GROUP WILL START FIRST.

bluellama
07-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Exactly.

His problem isn't with the Saturday Poker Run, but an event that is supposed to take place on Sunday.

If you are not participating in the Sunday event, I don't see how it affects your insurance coverage for Saturday.

bluellama
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
No one has to call anyone. They have to be able to read English.

Its racing and it puts the whole event at risk.

Gan?---Brockville? How about nowhere.

Anyone that participates puts all boaters insurance at risk.

Its at Gan and where on that river is it busier than there?

Every Town council on the river is being notified.

Again another statement that is tough to confirm.

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-30-2009, 09:32 PM
From the PRA site. Looks like they are staggering the start - 2 at a time for safety. Also looks like there is a speed limit.

NOTE: NEW STARTING PROCEDURE FOR KINGSTON THIS YEAR.

BECAUSE OF SAFETY CONCERNS, THE FOLLOWING STAGGERED START PROCEDURE MUST BE ADHERED TO OR DISQUALIFICATION WILL RESULT.

All boats proceed on their own time out of Confederation Basin heading northerly towards the LaSalle Causeway crossing the harbour. Mill there and wait. Stand by in pairs.

A “Start Boat” being a family-type cruiser with control flags flying, will be moored in the middle of the harbour close to the milling area.

Starts will be made at short intervals with TWO BOATS ONLY in each start.

Once the Wolfe Island ferry boat has departed its dock and the departure route is clear, the “Over 80 mph” pace boat(s) will depart past this “Start Boat” and take a broad sweeping route past the downtown harbour area.

Approximately 10 seconds later, the “Start Boat”, using a green flag, will signal the first two boats from the “Over 80 mph” group to depart. These boats will follow precisely the same course as the pace boats did at a MAXIMUM 50 MPH. Then after another approximately 10 seconds, another two “Over 80mph” boats will be signaled to start.

The above procedure will be followed until after all of the “Over 80 mph” boats have departed. The “Under 80 mph” pace boat(s) will follow exactly the same procedure, followed by all of the “Under 80 mph” boats, TWO by TWO, approximately 10 seconds apart, until all boats have departed.
-YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DESIGNATED ROUTE THROUGH THE HARBOUR

-MAXIMUM SPEED 50 MPH UNTIL AFTER YOU PASS CEDAR ISLAND

-THE ABOVE PROCEDURE IS FOR KINGSTON ONLY. NORMAL GROUP
STARTS WILL OCCUR AT BROCKVILLE AND AT PRESCOTT.

-AT BROCKVILLE, THE SLOW GROUP WILL START FIRST

-AT PRESCOTT, THE FAST GROUP WILL START FIRST.

This is all in reference to Sat.
We are talking about the drag racing on Sat.
Pay attention

Dranks 'N Skanks
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM
This is all in reference to Sat.
We are talking about the drag racing on Sat.
Pay attention

What????? Dont you mean Sunday????? Saturday would appear the only event that PRA is putting on. I have read their agenda and it does not reference drag races anywhere.

Why dont you show me where it is written that there are going to be drag races...and then I will pay attention and respond.

Dranks 'N Skanks
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Some friends were over last night that go to 1000 Islands Pr every year.
We all look forward to the boats coming to our town docks.

Its a great run but each year they get hassled by some law enforcement officer.

Lot of slow zones in it make it very important to pay attention to the spectator boats.
The police have made it known that the fast speed boats arent really safe to have there. They told that to the boaters at last years pre run meeting.
Its been going on for years like that with them.

One guy that came over was mad because he heard there was going to be drag racing this year that would put the whole event in jeopardy.
My uncle goes to PR all over and he said that at every meeting they are told not to race because its dangerous and if there is an accident your boat insurance wont pay you because every policy excludes racing.

So why would 1000 islands PR have racing?

Dont let that one guy get you bent.....there are alot of "one guys" at these things. Usually they that "one guy" has a problem with noise or speed...but it usually boils down to some guys coming in from out of town with bigger dicks.

I cannot imagine drag races being sanctioned by APBRA or what ever that deal is.

So it sounds to me to be a big bunch of BS - same BS that we get here at LKN.

Bobcat
07-30-2009, 09:51 PM
'FBT" t shirts are sold out, does anyone have an extra I can purchase ? I am a XXL tall , thank you!

Joe549
07-30-2009, 10:44 PM
From PRA's website

Poker Run on Saturday Aug 8 – Challenge on Sunday Aug 9th

The town of Gananoque has opened their doors for Power Boating Canada and Poker Runs America to run a full fledged shoot out off the Gananoque berm. Boats will leave Kingston Sunday morning to take part in a round robin challenge event.

This round robin performance boating event will add another level of poker run excitement to the world’s largest Can/Am event.

The Poker Run will kick off on Friday afternoon with a street display of performance boats and exotic cars in Kingston. The Poker Run will officially start on Friday evening with the opening ceremonies for the drivers and volunteers at the 4 Point Sheraton Hotel on King Street. The Poker Run event will begin with a drivers meeting at 8:30 am and the official start at 10am. Saturday morning. Awards presentations will take place at the Confederation Place Hotel on Ontario Street on Saturday from 6:30pm-9, giving you lots of time to enjoy the Kingston nightlife afterwards!

Sunday morning boats will be moved to Gananoque for the offshore challenge.

Poker Runs America and Power Boating Canada take the poker run sport

to a whole new level of excitement.

POKER RUN ON SATURDAY- CHALLENGE ON SUNDAY!

For more information contact Sheryl at 1-800-354-9145 x 252

http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/index1000islands.html

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-31-2009, 02:12 AM
There will be NO RACING during the PRA's 1000 Islands Poker Run on Saturday. There is a seperate event on the Sunday that seems similar to the Hit the Mark event they used to run.
Go to PRA's website for more information.

Does rhis say there is Drag Racing?

1000 Islands Poker Run Special Announcement

Poker Run on Saturday Aug 8 - Drag Race on Sunday Aug 9th

The town of Gananoque has opened their doors for Power Boating Canada and Poker Runs America to run a full fledged shoot out off the Gananoque berm. Boats will leave Kingston Sunday morning to take part in a round robin drag event.

Two boats at a speed of 50 mph will run head to head and at the drop of a flag they will compete approximately ˝ mile to determine who the winner is. The best two out of three! This round robin performance boating event will add another level of poker run excitement to the world’s largest Can/Am event.

The Poker Run will kick off on Friday afternoon with a street display of performance boats and exotic cars in Kingston . The Poker Run will officially start on Friday evening with the opening ceremonies for the drivers and volunteers at the 4 Point Sheraton Hotel on King Street . The Poker Run event will begin with a drivers meeting at 8:30 am and the official start at 10am. Saturday morning. Awards presentations will take place at the Confederation Place Hotel on Ontario Street on Saturday from 6:30pm-9, giving you lots of time to enjoy the Kingston nightlife afterwards!

Sunday morning boats will be moved to Gananoque for the offshore challenge drag race. Poker Runs America and Power Boating Canada take the poker run sport to a whole new level of excitement.

POKER RUN ON SATURDAY- RACE ON SUNDAY!

bluellama
07-31-2009, 06:10 AM
The Sunday event is a seperate event.
Instead of getting your panties in a wad over what might happen, and who might be insured, why don't you just ask the simple question....

Is this a sanctioned event, and have the proper authorities been notified?

You could have probably saved yourself a whole lot of trouble by calling or emailing PRA's Toronto office.

C5Steve
07-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Does rhis say there is Drag Racing?

1000 Islands Poker Run Special Announcement

Poker Run on Saturday Aug 8 - Drag Race on Sunday Aug 9th

The town of Gananoque has opened their doors for Power Boating Canada and Poker Runs America to run a full fledged shoot out off the Gananoque berm. Boats will leave Kingston Sunday morning to take part in a round robin drag event.

Two boats at a speed of 50 mph will run head to head and at the drop of a flag they will compete approximately ˝ mile to determine who the winner is. The best two out of three! This round robin performance boating event will add another level of poker run excitement to the world’s largest Can/Am event.

The Poker Run will kick off on Friday afternoon with a street display of performance boats and exotic cars in Kingston . The Poker Run will officially start on Friday evening with the opening ceremonies for the drivers and volunteers at the 4 Point Sheraton Hotel on King Street . The Poker Run event will begin with a drivers meeting at 8:30 am and the official start at 10am. Saturday morning. Awards presentations will take place at the Confederation Place Hotel on Ontario Street on Saturday from 6:30pm-9, giving you lots of time to enjoy the Kingston nightlife afterwards!

Sunday morning boats will be moved to Gananoque for the offshore challenge drag race. Poker Runs America and Power Boating Canada take the poker run sport to a whole new level of excitement.

POKER RUN ON SATURDAY- RACE ON SUNDAY!

Keep changing the text around to fit your hidden agenda. :icon_bs:
Sounds like someone here needs to take up a new hobby, like hiking

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM

This is their official race notification

Tantrum
07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Keep changing the text around to fit your hidden agenda. :icon_bs:
Sounds like someone here needs to take up a new hobby, like hiking

Pathetic
Thats a D Bag right there :rolleyes:

Ratickle
07-31-2009, 09:09 AM
This is their official race notification

That really surprises me, I would have thought if there was a shootout event, it would have been sanctioned completely seperately, not by PRA. I'm assuming there is insurance provided for the Sunday event for it to be sanctioned though, so........

Ratickle
07-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Pathetic
Thats a D Bag right there :rolleyes:

I was just reading the official announcement, surprised. Almost exactly as was typed. A couple typo's don't really bug me much. I had zero comment until reading the official announcement.

Tantrum
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Im looking at the PRA website. If PRA sent this Official announcement they must have had a change of opinion because the website wording is not the same. Otherwise it would appear that someone changed the wording to fit their agenda.

Ratickle
07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Im looking at the PRA website. If PRA sent this Official announcement they must have had a change of opinion because the website wording is not the same. Otherwise it would appear that someone changed the wording to fit their agenda.

That's possible. Sometimes an announcement goes out without being proofed properly. Hate to tell you some of the quotes in the news attributed to me in the past......:ack2:

Can you get the modified one posted here?

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-31-2009, 09:47 AM

That could be right. Maybe they changed the way it will be done.
The wording wasn't changed though. That was the notice sent out.
The locals don't have any agenda but want to make sure the police don't have a final reason to stop future PR.
The no insurance for participants is still valid.

One thing stands out when you go to the site now.

The first notice is detailed with what the sun. event was.
Now when you read it you can't tell what is happening on sun.

Not arguing, just concerned group of river rats

Chris
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Like Sy posted a week or two ago, we're inches away from the last few insurers exiting this market.

The big winner will be the racing organizations. The guys that still want to compete against other boats will be forced to go back there. Too bad they'll only get to run once or twice a month.

Ratickle
07-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Like Sy posted a week or two ago, we're inches away from the last few insurers exiting this market.

The big winner will be the racing organizations. The guys that still want to compete against other boats will be forced to go back there. Too bad they'll only get to run once or twice a month.

I've had some conversations with guys who work very closely with insurance companies. It is not good at this point. Think it's expensive now?????? May not be available at any price soon. :(

Geronimo36
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Interesting....

boostbros
08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
i say lets run em about half these boats are funny cars on the water we have always needed a time and place to unleash and showcase the hardware i think its a great idea saves burning tons of fuel going to prescot and back and shore spectators get a good show plus we won,t have to maintain kamikizee speeds thru a public waterway! i believe this is a safer event than the poker run

RUNNINTHERIVER
08-04-2009, 06:47 AM
i say lets run em about half these boats are funny cars on the water we have always needed a time and place to unleash and showcase the hardware i think its a great idea saves burning tons of fuel going to prescot and back and shore spectators get a good show plus we won,t have to maintain kamikizee speeds thru a public waterway! i believe this is a safer event than the poker run

Gan IS a public waterway.
Ask anyone that was at last years drivers meeting about how the police referred to the event and their concerns that have increased each year.

Maybe this has now been changed from racing on Sun.

Your comment about showcasing doesnt really work as a comparison of boats.
First its in a straight line and eliminates each boats turning capabilities, secondly some people will have just enough fuel to run this event and most will do it with no passengers so they can go faster.

But nobody at PRA has answered the question about what the challenge will be if it now isnt drag racing.

Ratickle
08-04-2009, 06:53 AM
But nobody at PRA has answered the question about what the challenge will be if it now isnt drag racing.

I also haven't seen the new official press release. Is there a new one? Or did something else happen while I was at the St Clair race?

RUNNINTHERIVER
08-04-2009, 07:12 AM
I also haven't seen the new official press release. Is there a new one? Or did something else happen while I was at the St Clair race?

Its on the PRA website and is called a challange. But it clearly shows a "Christmas Tree" so the only thing that has changed is the wording.

They are calling people on the phone to enter.

The PR is a good thing each year for the locals to bring the crowds out and our town really likes it.
But this river area exists for tourism all year and doesnt need PRA coming for three days just to make money and ruin it for everyone else.

This weekend doesnt need racing.

We will see what they are all about I guess.