PDA

View Full Version : Tested the Mystic today

Scotty B
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
and all I can say is WOW
Here is a pic from today

.38Special
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
You guys going to be at St. Clair this weekend. The only reason I go is to see Miss Geico!!

nortech4play
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Looking Good....

Scotty B
07-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Not ready to race yet, we hate to miss St Claire

MarylandMark
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
You guys going to be at St. Clair this weekend. The only reason I go is to see Miss Geico!!

And Rat Trickle!

Good to hear you aren't pushing it and being safe so you can race another day.

Awesome- can't wait to see her in action!!

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Now that's not very nice....

There should be in the neighborhood of 70 boats in St Clair running this year. Ask Scotty and Marc about the venue there and how it compares......

Scotty, Marc, See you in Michigan City I guess if you're not gonna be in St Clair this year.

rchevelle71
07-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Looks good Scott, I see the water is still flat, we were out Sunday in "Lake like conditions"

dykstra
07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
looks awesome!

cigdaze
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Awesome. The new hardware is nice. We've been anxiously awaiting.
:cool:

drpete3
07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
wish it was coming to MI

LaughingCat
07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
excited about the roll-out. will you have some videos soon?

phragle
07-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Scotty, you guys are a class act... it takes a lot of restraint not to break out the new toy, but at those speeds, waiting untill it's 100% and your comfortable with it is definitly the way to roll. Lookin foreward to seeing that bad boy go for the sound barrier! :sifone:

T2x
07-29-2009, 07:57 AM
and all I can say is WOW
Here is a pic from today

Has the windshield surface area been reduced?

SC288
07-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Not ready to race yet, we hate to miss St Claire

How about in Michigan City?

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Has the windshield surface area been reduced?

signifigantly, 10 inch windshield floating in a carbon sandwich and 45% bevels on the carbon cap. We have also installed carbon deflector plates around the canopy and recessed the hatches, triple redundancey air system and Nascar seats with side impact head reststraints as wel as 6 point harnesses

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 08:26 AM
We will be in Michigan City with her

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
T2x, here is a better angle of the windshield

LaughingCat
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Anyone else see the resemblance to the 1989 Batmobile. That was the best one of the fleet.

Be safe, but be fast!

SC288
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Can't wait! :driving:

Salesmanship
07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Looks cool,
That canopy with the smaller windshield reminds me of something. Can't quite put my finger on it.... :sifone:

Big Time
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
and all I can say is WOW
Here is a pic from today

Tell us more about the WOW part....acceleration, handling, top speed, did you take any turns with it? I'm curious how the handling characteristics are compared to the MTI?

Also, sounds like you guys are doing everything right in terms of the safetly aspect. Keep it up and be safe out there.

Can't wait to see this thing in action! :driving:

boatme
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Terry is that in your collection of Beta Max videos?? :)

Ratickle
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Great, see you there......

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Tell us more about the WOW part....acceleration, handling, top speed, did you take any turns with it? I'm curious how the handling characteristics are compared to the MTI?

We had limited space to run but she was still accelerating @ 187. We put the SCS changeable gear boxes on it so we have alot of different ratios and props to play with.
We will be heading out again on friday in the ocean to work on balance setup and turning.
I cannot imagine a boat being able to turn like our MTI but we will keep working on the Mystic until we get her dialed in perfect. For the first run in the boat and setting her up based on mostly theoreticals we were more than pleased with our initial run.

Marc and myself are learning everyday about what it takes to run a very fast boat efficiently and safely and there is a long list of guys we talk to and look for advice on everything we do with our boats.
Guys like Cosker, JT, Gerry Gilbreath, Steve Cutis, Joey Imprescia, Randy Scism, Dave Vilwock etc etc are who we go to with our questions because they are the best and they are always available to us and we cannot thank them enough

Big Time
07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
We had limited space to run but she was still accelerating @ 187. We put the SCS changeable gear boxes on it so we have alot of different ratios and props to play with.
We will be heading out again on friday in the ocean to work on balance setup and turning.
I cannot imagine a boat being able to turn like our MTI but we will keep working on the Mystic until we get her dialed in perfect. For the first run in the boat and setting her up based on mostly theoreticals we were more than pleased with our initial run.

Marc and myself are learning everyday about what it takes to run a very fast boat efficiently and safely and there is a long list of guys we talk to and look for advice on everything we do with our boats.
Guys like Cosker, JT, Gerry Gilbreath, Steve Cutis, Joey Imprescia, Randy Scism, Dave Vilwock etc etc are who we go to with our questions because they are the best and they are always available to us and we cannot thank them enough

Good stuff! Good luck with it!

T2x
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
signifigantly, 10 inch windshield floating in a carbon sandwich and 45% bevels on the carbon cap. We have also installed carbon deflector plates around the canopy and recessed the hatches, triple redundancey air system and Nascar seats with side impact head reststraints as wel as 6 point harnesses

Sounds good......

A couple of questions...What are the specs on the hinges and latches for the hatches...and ...have you installed automatic or full time cockpit lighting?

I am asking these questions out of sincere concern for safety as you know. The narrow windshield slot has been a major topic of conversation between Linder and me recently and it is good to see it implemented. Hopefully you will confirm that there is no meaningful reduction in useable visability at speed, which is our belief.

Thanks again

GENERAL LEE
07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Sounds good......

A couple of questions...What are the specs on the hinges and latches for the hatches...and ...have you installed automatic or full time cockpit lighting?

I am asking these questions out of sincere concern for safety as you know. The narrow windshield slot has been a major topic of conversation between Linder and me recently and it is good to see it implemented. Hopefully you will confirm that there is no meaningful reduction in useable visability at speed, which is our belief.

Thanks again

Is the narrow windshield slot based on an engineering improvement, that the smaller slot coupled with rounded corners will have less room for failure in the event of a high speed rollover? Is the windshield itself convexed? Just curious. :coolgleamA:

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Rich, you input will be very valuable to our team, so I thank you for it. The visibility factor for us is strangley enough better. We now focus on the water and other boats and cannot be distracted by helicopters and other stuff going on around us. We also never race without spotters in our copter. To us we have no issue with visibility. We have lcd lighting on in our canopy and we also run with glow sticks attached to our regulators and hatch releases on the inside of the boat. Crack them before the race and last 4hrs.
The latches and hinges have been an ongoing project we continue to try to improve on. We have our latches custom made 3 pin latching system is 15/5 stainless 2 1/2 inch pins in the sides and one in front. we have also raised the outside rims on the canopy and angled them. this has recessed the hatches and hopefully divert the water away. we have try to essentially make the hatches when closed, a part of the canopy structure. The hatch release is also flush mount pop up system from the outside. The hinges are also cnc'd from the same stuff and through bolted with stainless backing plates.
Thanks Rich. I welcome any and all of your suggestions to help us with our safety.

PS do you know anything about the new 1"1/2 poli winshields I heard they are making now

Scotty B
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Is the narrow windshield slot based on an engineering improvement, that the smaller slot coupled with rounded corners will have less room for failure in the event of a high speed rollover? Is the windshield itself convexed? Just curious

hopefully and no its not convex

T2x
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Is the narrow windshield slot based on an engineering improvement, that the smaller slot coupled with rounded corners will have less room for failure in the event of a high speed rollover? Is the windshield itself convexed? Just curious. :coolgleamA:

One of the things that may muddy the waters around flip scenarios is the term "rollover" which , while technically correct, does not accurately describe the dynamic. A better term is "ballistic collisions with the water at an unknown and unlimited range of angles and trajectories, with accompanying, potentially fatal, pressure peaks".

This why we need to try and create a basketball rather than a roll cage.

Scotty: I'll get back to you on the thicker Poly, that question reminded me of something else that I need to follow up on.

T2x

jayboat
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
A few shots of the boat I got at the Ft Lauderdale pits last year. Can't wait to see her in action.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2693468225_8061ed13fb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2693467693_eb4cb6b182_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2473630384_dbd978f38c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2693467605_59a623c9e8_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2075/2473630632_2331441ce8_o.jpg

drpete3
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Jayboat
those are awesome shots!

GENERAL LEE
07-30-2009, 02:45 AM
A few shots of the boat I got at the Ft Lauderdale pits last year. Can't wait to see her in action.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2473630384_dbd978f38c_o.jpg

MAN, that's just gorgeous :drool5:

That's the ultimate race boat in my eyes.

Just bad as hell. :coolgleamA:

Wrinkleface
07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Jaybird, Frik'n awesome shotz as always!!!:sifone:

glh
07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the story and the awesome pictures...

Now Jay, not to be a ball buster or anything but What tha fack is holding that boat in the air?????http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/ape-scratch.gif

Wrinkleface
07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
T2x, here is a better angle of the windshield

Awesome!!

T2x
07-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Scotty:

I checked with George last night to confirm my thoughts on 1.5 " Polycarbonate.

As you may be aware polycarbonate comes in thicknesses up to 1/2" inch as manufactured. Anything thicker must be laminated (i.e. 3/4" = 1/2"+1/4" sheets). The lamination requires pressing the layers between tooling surfaces covered in optically correct glass at temperatures of 380-400 degrees F. After that the material must be put into the final pattern tools and molded to shape. The thicker the final laminate, the stronger the tooling must be to withstand the forces involved in curving the material. You can make any thickness you want (in 1/2 or 1/4" increments) but the trick is to create the heavy duty (optically correct) tooling. Have you or Cosker done this? It is much easier to make windows and canopies with stretched acrylic since it is moldable at much lower temperatures and (unlike polycarbonate) it can be polished afterward, but sacrifices significant strength. Some manufacturers prefer to work with the easier material and might not fully understand the potential dangers involved in saving time and resources. Acrylic should be used as thin external layers only for optical clarity and ease of maintenance.

There are 3 companies currently producing milspec canopies for the boat racing community in the US: Texstar, Sierracin, and Lee Aerospace. There is some debate over who is the best, but certainly Texstar/Linder Design is the most experienced in marine racing applications. I have not seen any true laminated polycarbonate thicker than 3/4" but developing the tooling for this material at greater thicknesses would be a worthwhile investment IMHO. WE invested almost $100,000 in developing the original Lavin Canopy back in 1988 and an upgrade is long overdue.

Good luck,

T2x

T2x
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the story and the awesome pictures...

Now Jay, not to be a ball buster or anything but What tha fack is holding that boat in the air?????http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/ape-scratch.gif

The exhaust from the diesel engine beneath it....... it's apparently very light... :p

jayboat
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM

flubber. Scotty's got a stash under the seat. Cosker gave it to him.

I have proof. :biggrinjester:

Scotty B
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks T2X, can you pm me me your # so I can bounce stuff off of you periodically

T2x
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks T2X, can you pm me me your # so I can bounce stuff off of you periodically

done....

skaterdave
07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
out of curiosity, does the polycarbonate loose any strength when its heated for molding purposes?

LaughingCat
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Nope, she's actually doing over 200 MPH jumping cars with James Bond behind the wheel.

Do I really have to point out the obvious?

MarylandMark
07-30-2009, 06:15 PM

They literally drop it in the water when launching vs just setting it in. It helps Scotty get that "snuggled in feeling" in the bolsters and the perfect fit!

:26:

pkspx
07-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Nope, she's actually doing over 200 MPH jumping cars with James Bond behind the wheel.

part jet now