PDA

View Full Version : mmmm GARLIC!!

DonziGirl
07-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I was just thinking tonight as I made dinner - how many people really cook most of the week? I couldn't tell you the last time I went out to eat. Tonight is baked ziti (of course with lots of garlic). My dad is a great cook (who also puts garlic in almost everything). He actually taught my mom too cook.

But I also know people who go out to eat for almost every meal. I was just wondering what the norm was around here.

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I cook daily. Typically go though 3 heads of garlic a week. Love to cook with Thai basil and cayenne. Lots of veggies. Breakfast everyday but Friday.

A house that smells of garlic is full of love.

DonziGirl
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Whoops just noticed I put this in the wrong section. That's what I get for having two windows open.
I grill out while boating. Does that count as on the dock?

Will someone move it please? Thanks.

Jim - I knew I liked you!

Buoy
07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I used to cook all the time, but now, the wife won't let me in the kitchen.
She loves to cook, and the weekends are pretty much all day the cooking channel on TV.
If we're staying home on a Sunday, she actually plans a meal, and starts cooking at 11:00am for a dinner that isn't going to get served until 7:00.
She does this just to "make the house stink good"
Yesterday was home made Spaghetti sauce.

We usually only go out to eat about once a month.
It's even something if we're on vacation somewhere, that after awhile, I get bored with everything typically on the menu, and always look forward to good home cooking.

BraceYourself
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I eat out every meal

cigdaze
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Whoops just noticed I put this in the wrong section. That's what I get for having two windows open.
I grill out while boating. Does that count as on the dock?

Will someone move it please? Thanks.

Jim - I knew I liked you!

We're here for ya, it's moved. :)

I enjoy cooking and love my garlic...I just don't get to do it much anymore. I'll still make damn sure I light the grill at least a couple times a week, but it sure as heck isn't as often as it used to. I barely get 2 hours a night to myself most evenings, I just don't have the time. :(

MarylandMark
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
We eat out so much that I love home cooking...

Mon, Fri, Sat & Sun we eat out
Tues-Wed I cook
Thurs she cooks

Last week: Carrabba's twice, Bonefish once, Rib Shack once and Texas Roadhouse once and local seafood for crabs once. Ice cream yesterday was a treat I normally don't do

Wrinkleface
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Tues-Wed I cook
Thurs she cooks

Last week: Carrabba's twice, Bonefish once, Rib Shack once and Texas Roadhouse once and local seafood for crabs once. Ice cream yesterday was a treat I normally don't do

I eat out alot but also eat alot of leftovers from eat'n out!!:drool5:

JupiterSunsation
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow DonziGirl I married the wrong girl............We eat out 5+ nights a week even though it costs too much and isn't healthy for you at all!

Friday- Waterfront Seafood Restaurant- dinner for 2 $130
Saturday- Capitol Grille- Steakhouse- dinner for 4 $430
Sunday- Mexican- Local Place- Dinner for 3 $45

Not hearing my wife b!tch priceless............Monday morning $5 cash in my wallet, back to work!

DonziGirl
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
!!! Holy crap! There's a few places I go that I like their food and the service is excellent. I go there on purpose. Other than that, we don't eat out. hell I don't even order pizza much. I've started making dough in my bread maker

You make me feel much better about my grocery bill. I'll say that. I love to cook though. I'm always trying out new things or altering recipes. Tony says I've ruined going out to eat for him because he knows I can either make what we have or figure out how to make it.

rchevelle71
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
We eat out on the weekends, but I cook(grille) all week.

JupiterSunsation
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
To be fair we live in an area that has an abundance of great restaurants. On PGA Blvd. there was 92 high end restaurants in about a 7 mile stretch. Several high end steakhouses (most failed), two high end Mexican (Rosa Mexicana from Manhattan failed), Yardhouse (bar with over 100 beers on tap, kegs changed weekly) etc. All of these places are $100 dinner for two with a couple drinks. Too many and they failed due to high rents/lack of clients. In season it gets to be ridiculous for waiting (wait at valet stand for ticket, wait at hostess stand, wait at bar, get dinner, wait at valet for car) to the point we won't stay unless we can sit within a few minutes.

That was all 2006 and prior.....now all of these places are sit immediately and they are happy to see you! Real Estate meltdown destroyed many a millionaire! McDonalds is getting busy though!

DonziGirl
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
There are a ton of places in Cincy. Granted in the boondocks out here it's a little different. Still it was the way I was brought up. And I love to cook. I made killer carrot cake the other day if I do say so myself :)

Madpoodle
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Came home, Heidi had baked some garlic heads, toasted some bread, cooked some spaghetti (it ain't pasta damnit) and there was sauce bubbling on the stove.. Tasted the sauce, awesome man, perfect blend of ground beef, sausage and spices.. I was impressed..

Then she told me the sauce was some I made awhile ago, then froze the leftovers.. I knew I liked it!!

Buoy
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Came home, Heidi had baked some garlic heads, toasted some bread, cooked some spaghetti (it ain't pasta damnit) and there was sauce bubbling on the stove.. Tasted the sauce, awesome man, perfect blend of ground beef, sausage and spices.. I was impressed..

Then she told me the sauce was some I made awhile ago, then froze the leftovers.. I knew I liked it!!

Yep, after the sauce is cooking for 5 hours on Sunday, my wife is bringing me half a roll dipped in sauce to try.
I'm not even Italian.

Tony
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Living with Donzi will fukin ruin your favorite restraunt. As soon as you find something excellent she finds a way to make it better.....for the most part I'm not complaining but when your sitting at your favorite steakhouse thinking to yourself, I could have had better at home then whats the point...

She hasnt mastered the lobster rueben yet. :D

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I hate to pay for a meal that is not better than I can eat at home.

When we go out it is for Sushi or trying recommended places out of town.

Every now and then a great steak house.

Lately I am in to trying renown BBQ. The ones that are like 50 years old and landmarks.

insanity
07-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Used to cook quite a bit, not much time to do it anymore. When I moved out of my last apartment that I lived in for a year and a half before I relocated (again), the stove and refridgerator still had the packing materials in/on them (place was brand new when I moved in). Apartment lady laughed about it and cut me my deposit check back in full, on the spot.

FULL FORCE
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I eat at home during the week, mostly salds, after a weekend of eat out and boozing I need to eat right during the week.....I am on vacation this week and on day 5 of full all out boating and boozin witha friend... next week.. back on track!

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-27-2009, 11:31 PM
This place is about an hour away. Looking for an excuse to go.:drool5:

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Another on my must hit list.

http://www.cuetopiatexas.com/restaurant.htm

Big Time
07-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I never eat out during the week (unless I bring a chick out on a date). It doesn't sound like I eat the good home cooked meals that some of you people get. I'm a 28 yr old bachelor so a PB & J sandwiched is considered a home cooked meal for me. Last night I had tuna fish out of the can....no bread. I only get to the grocery store once every 3 weeks at best, so I eat good for a week then I stretch the rest until I get back to the store. I need to find myself a good chick that can cook!

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Or cook for a good chick. It is no fun to cook for one.

Big Time
07-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Or cook for a good chick. It is no fun to cook for one.

As long as she doesn't mind it coming from the George Foreman grill, that thing has changed my life! :)

JJ Apache
07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I enjoy cooking, but I hate cleaning the mess. Since work is slow, I'm cooking more, and doing leftovers, usually its lunch thats I eat take out. And I use fresh garlic, so I don't have to use so much garlic Salt. John says I use too much salt, but that comes from the man who doesn't salt water for rice/ pasta! Clark (J's homey) likes my cooking just fine! Last week I made 9 lasangna roll-ups, and it was better the 2nd time...

DonziGirl
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
My dad's a great cook. You can always cook for the girl. I agree that it's no fun cooking for one. I don't cook as much when I'm at my condo. It's usually just a sandwich or something. Tony says I'm the only person he knows that bakes a small turkey breast just to have a turkey sandwhich :)

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Typical breakfast.. Brown about 4 cloves of chopped garlic with a sprinkle of slivered almonds in olive oil. Add small portion of chopped red onion, sliced cherry tomatoes, and a heaping plate full of fresh baby spinach. Drizzles with fresh lemon cook till spinach shrinks down scramble in one egg and generous portion of feta cheese, season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Serve with mutli grain toast. Wife calls it my Greek eggs. Also good with a portion of ****ake mushrooms added. I like a balance of crunch, chew and mush in everything I cook.

Big Time
07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=DonziGirl;280358]You can always cook for the girl. I agree that it's no fun cooking for one. [QUOTE]

I always liked it better when they cooked for me :)

The last couple of girls that I dated would cook for me, my end of the deal was that I would pay for the supplies and I would also clean up. I kind of liked it that way....

I can cook the basics, nothing fancy.

DonziGirl
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I wish I could get Tony to do the dishes! I think he has a boat to be working on or something though. :D

Mark
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I love to cook and very rarely eat dinner out. I make lunch if I'm not too busy and working from home. My grocery bills are steep, but it is so much healthier. I also grow a garden. It is very expensive to eat a healthy meal out - if you can actually find something healthy to begin with!

My ex-girlfriend lost 20 pounds within months of moving in with me due to healthier - and better food. My new GF and I eat 95% of the same things (amazing!), so we cook together a lot. She is Japanese, so I get to eat octopus and drink sake all the time! :26:

ChiefApache
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I enjoy cooking, but I hate cleaning the mess. Since work is slow, I'm cooking more, and doing leftovers, usually its lunch thats I eat take out. And I use fresh garlic, so I don't have to use so much garlic Salt. John says I use too much salt, but that comes from the man who doesn't salt water for rice/ pasta! Clark (J's homey) likes my cooking just fine! Last week I made 9 lasangna roll-ups, and it was better the 2nd time...

I don't salt my pasta when it cooks. I use olive oil so it doesn't boil over.

We eat out too much. I hate grocery shopping. I hate cooking. :)

But, we have 1/4 side of beef being delivered Thursday night. Grilling will resume.

OldSchool
07-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Tues-Wed I cook
Thurs she cooks

I saw a fat, drunk guy with a whole crab stuck in his mouth on a MPT TV show about Maryland crabhouses last week. You wouldn't know who that was, would you??????????????:ack2::ack2::sifone::dupe:

ChiefApache
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I saw a fat, drunk guy with a whole crab stuck in his mouth on a MPT TV show about Maryland crabhouses last week. You wouldn't know who that was, would you??????????????:ack2::ack2::sifone::dupe:

Let's not bring fat, drunk people into this thread...it's big a topic of voodoo today. :willy_nilly::leaving:

OldSchool
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Let's not bring fat, drunk people into this thread...it's big a topic of voodoo today. :willy_nilly::leaving:

LMAO. Here is the video in question. Look at the very end....in the brown shirt. That guy look familiar to me for some reason!!!!!!!!

http://video.wttw.com/video/video/1182496752/subject/957383404

phragle
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm a dollar menu kind of guy. I can cook a few things, but I don't really follow directions. just some of this, a little of that, most of the time it works out well. biggest problem is I have no quantity calibration ability. I will cook for 2 but end up with food for 6

JJ Apache
07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
LMAO. Here is the video in question. Look at the very end....in the brown shirt. That guy look familiar to me for some reason!!!!!!!!

http://video.wttw.com/video/video/1182496752/subject/957383404

I couldn't watch that long, but Whitey sure looks like Phragle with hair!!!!:sifone:

phragle
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I have hair..it's just on the wrong side of my head....

Perlmudder
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
For the most part my family eats in a couple days a week, eats out a couple and the rest order in. I'm in Toronto with just my dad on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I usually bbq something all day. Today i made bbq chicken that should be ready in a while. I find it the hardest to eat healthy at college because its hard to cook for just one, campus food is gross, and so you end up ordering in a lot.

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm a dollar menu kind of guy.

I hope you have picked something better for lunch Friday. No dollar menus in my belly.

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
When things are bad I can survive on pasta and peanuts. I hope I don't have to ever again.

fund razor
07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I cook daily. Typically go though 3 heads of garlic a week. Love to cook with Thai basil and cayenne. Lots of veggies. Breakfast everyday but Friday.

A house that smells of garlic is full of love.

And has statistically less vampires, too. :D

fund razor
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Typical breakfast.. Brown about 4 cloves of chopped garlic with a sprinkle of slivered almonds in olive oil. Add small portion of chopped red onion, sliced cherry tomatoes, and a heaping plate full of fresh baby spinach. Drizzles with fresh lemon cook till spinach shrinks down scramble in one egg and generous portion of feta cheese, season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Serve with mutli grain toast. Wife calls it my Greek eggs. Also good with a portion of ****ake mushrooms added. I like a balance of crunch, chew and mush in everything I cook.

I would eat that. :)

Magic Medicine
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
We eat out quite a bit. When we do eat in I do the cooking and she does the clean up. I enjoy cooking most of the time.

MarylandMark
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I saw a fat, drunk guy with a whole crab stuck in his mouth on a MPT TV show about Maryland crabhouses last week. You wouldn't know who that was, would you??????????????

:seeya:

I plead the 5th; I mean drank a 5th that day.

I couldn't watch that long, but Whitey sure looks like Phragle with hair!!!!:sifone:

I have no idea why I am revealing this info but you can click the line to move the cursor to about 30 seconds until the end of the video and let it play.

http://video.wttw.com/video/1182496752/subject/957383404

OldSchool
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
:seeya:

I plead the 5th; I mean drank a 5th that day.

I have no idea why I am revealing this info but you can click the line to move the cursor to about 30 seconds until the end of the video and let it play.

http://video.wttw.com/video/1182496752/subject/957383404

Imagine my shock and horror after watching the whole show and then seeing that at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!:ack2::sifone::26::sifone::26:

fund razor
07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Mark, we are revoking your health care. No offense. :)

Ms PatriYacht
07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
We eat most of our meals at home, unless we are overnight on the boat, away on vacation, or at a friends. We feel like some of the others that we like our food and our view better than most restaurants we have been to. In the summer we eat on the deck facing the lake and in the winter we eat by the fireplace, so we really don't feel the urge to travel and sit in a stuffy restaurant waiting to get served just to eat a meal. We enjoy several glasses of a wine with a good dinner so between the ridiculous prices ($10.00 for a glass of Kendal Jackson) and the DUI laws it makes it hard to enjoy your beverages on an evening out. Ian likes things a bit on the plain side, not over spiced or dripping in sauce which is fine with me. We buy good cuts of meat, chicken, fish, and pork and cook it like we like, which is mostly grilled. I do most of the prep and cooking, he does the grilling, and we sort of split the clean up.

fund razor
07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
We eat most of our meals at home, unless we are overnight on the boat, away on vacation, or at a friends. We feel like some of the others that we like our food and our view better than most restaurants we have been to. In the summer we eat on the deck facing the lake and in the winter we eat by the fireplace, so we really don't feel the urge to travel and sit in a stuffy restaurant waiting to get served just to eat a meal. We enjoy several glasses of a wine with a good dinner so between the ridiculous prices ($10.00 for a glass of Kendal Jackson) and the DUI laws it makes it hard to enjoy your beverages on an evening out. Ian likes things a bit on the plain side, not over spiced or dripping in sauce which is fine with me. We buy good cuts of meat, chicken, fish, and pork and cook it like we like, which is mostly grilled. I do most of the prep and cooking, he does the grilling, and we sort of split the clean up.

Your kitchen and the way that the house is laid out is awesome. I would cook much more if I had such a nice kitchen and home. I would rather eat at you and Ian's than a restaurant too. :)

Jann says +1 :D

Big Time
07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Two Lean Pockets for dinner last night :drool5: The life of a bachelor.

Ms PatriYacht
07-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Your kitchen and the way that the house is laid out is awesome. I would cook much more if I had such a nice kitchen and home. I would rather eat at you and Ian's than a restaurant too. :)

Jann says +1 :D

Thanks, you guys are welcome anytime, you really need to get up here this summer.:)

MarylandMark
07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Mark, we are revoking your health care. No offense. :)

Crabs do have a lot of sodium but I try to balance it out by drinking a lot of beer with them.

Aren't ya'll glad I have free healthcare vs socialized or you all would have to be paying for "that"!!

Imagine my shock and horror after watching the whole show and then seeing that at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!:ack2::sifone::26::sifone::26:

Horror? What choo talkin 'bout Willis with this horror stuff. Oh now I see- you put an extra "r" in there. You were saying you were honored to know the guy on TV and bragging about knowing the guy on TV to all your friends.

:rofl: :ack2: :sifone:

DonziGirl
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
My tongue is mutinying!

I made salsa last night. Our peppers haven't been that hot this year so I left the seeds in the salsa. I tried to calm it down a little this morning with more onion and tomatoes but so far no luck. It tastes good it's just so hot I can't eat much of it.

Tony
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Leave it alone damnit! Dont touch it, its fine the way it is.

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
OK, sort of a tangent, but I grew up loving garlic. I used to eat it on everything. Over the past few years, my stomach has become very intolerant of it. I can't even eat a cheap garlic bread anymore without getting sick. Anyone else have that issue?

Just as a frame of reference, straight bourbon, jaegermeister, beer, hot peppers, avacados, any cheeses, etc. have no impact on my stomach. Just garlic.

imco offshore
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
jim we ate at a bar b q place in texas on the way to corpus cristi in the middle of the trip on the west side of the road stood out all by itself no other bulidings withen 20 miles i think its milkins , i have their card IT WAS FRIGGIN GREAT , i,ll find it and post it,s a must,

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
And has statistically less vampires, too. :D

Holy cow! I think I've finally figured out what my problem is...

ThrottleUp Props
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Tues-Wed I cook
Thurs she cooks

Thank you for pumping your local economy, M&M!!!!

Julie

ThrottleUp Props
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I eat out alot but also eat alot of leftovers from eat'n out!!:drool5:

You as well Wrink!

Julie

ThrottleUp Props
09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Living with Donzi will fukin ruin your favorite restraunt. As soon as you find something excellent she finds a way to make it better.....for the most part I'm not complaining but when your sitting at your favorite steakhouse thinking to yourself, I could have had better at home then whats the point...

She hasnt mastered the lobster rueben yet. :D

You sir are a fortunate man! Nicely done Donzigirl!!!:26:

Julie

MikeyFIN
09-04-2009, 02:33 PM
As long as she doesn't mind it coming from the George Foreman grill, that thing has changed my life! :)

positive or negative???

Over here they we´re recently on a firesale... 10 bucks a piece...

I mostly eat out while working plus have a lot of fruits and veggies with me (Trucking).
At Home I try to do my own cooking... I´m a lazy chef despite being thru chef´s school years ago.

MikeyFIN
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Two Lean Pockets for dinner last night :drool5: The life of a bachelor.

I hear ya !!!

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I just cooked myself a rather handsome peanutbutter and jelly sandwich and another can of Tecate... :sifone:

DonziGirl
09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Tonight has to be easy. We've got to finish up the boat. I think just burgers and deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs.

C M R
09-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I love to cook. When I'm not traveling for work I'll end up cooking dinner 5-6 days out of the week.

Although we still enjoy going out to eat and trying different restaurants in the Atlanta area. We have couple regular lunch spots we'll hit from time to time.

DollaBill
09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
i cooked in '89.

imco offshore
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
my wife and were at an office party, when we first met,, and everyone was standing around asking each other what they made best, after about 10 mins they looked at her and well what do you make best,, picture this,,, stright face holding a glass of wine ,, " RESERVATIONS " she said,, i knew i was in trouble then, needless to say 20 years latter I COOK .

tommymonza
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
http://cookingmaniac.blogspot.com My Italian girlfriends blogspot if any of you are interested.
We have to go out to dinner twice a week for her job as the food critic for the paper but most of the time i would much prefer to eat at home with her cooking.

Even at the best restaurants we often comment to ourselves how a dish would be so much better if she did this or that to it.

Meals at home are often never the same for weeks and all of them are to die for.
The only time i get to cook anymore is when it is time to grill.When her sisters and their kids come to visit from Italy they request my world famous cheeseburgers for at least 4 nights of the few weeks they are visiting.

I made them at her sisters in Milan when i was visiting last year for about 25 of her friends at a cheesburger party .They ask her all the time when i will be returning to Italy

Try the pasta alla carbonara and the vodka pasta off her blog they are one of my many favorites from the old days before she introduced me to so many of my new favorites.

Gotta go the timer just went off for the homemade pizza she made . MMMMMMM

She has also done a few video presentations if you care to see them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fF4or8X7is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oc8XvTmSPQ&feature=related

MarylandMark
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Thank you for pumping your local economy, M&M!!!!

Julie

Food & booze cost me much, much more than boating does. As much as I love being on the water I still think I made the right choice going with a less expensive boat so I could keep the my belly full. Maybe too full some may say.. LOL!

http://cookingmaniac.blogspot.com My Italian girlfriends blogspot if any of you are interested.

I'd be about 400lbs if I had those options! Good stuff!

Playn
09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
If you love garlic you should really try a 40 clove garlic chicken recipe. Very,very simple...one of my favorites.

tommymonza
09-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Like this one http://cookingmaniac.blogspot.com/search/label/chicken