PDA

View Full Version : Small Craft Warnings

stormrider
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
What is the definition of "small craft" per USCG, NOAA and or US Navy?

pkspx
07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
warning that anything under 65 feet is unsafe per current weather conditions

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
OH is that how it works?
I was told incorrectly that it was all private boating.

Big Time
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, so a 60 ft boat is a small craft? Man, my 29 feels tiny right now!

RUNNINTHERIVER
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I went on the ocean off the coast of Nova Sotia once with a friend and we were on a 210 ft boat and I have never been more scared ever.

The waves in the ocean can get so big you cant describe them.

The men that actually work on the ship were told to stay inside because there was so much water going over the deck.

I'm used to the St. Lawrence River in a 33 ft. and only when I can choose the weather.
The people that have to go out in that weather can keep it !

Gladhe8er
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I remember when I got my boating license when I was 13 and that allowed me to operate a boat up to 65 feet!

MarylandMark
07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
To alert mariners to sustained (more than two hours) weather or sea conditions, either present or forecast, that might be hazardous to small boats. The threshold conditions for the Small Craft Advisory are usually 18 knots of wind (less than 18 knots in some dangerous waters) or hazardous wave conditions.

==================

(SCA) - An advisory issued by coastal and Great Lakes Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) for areas included in the Coastal Waters Forecast or Nearshore Marine Forecast (NSH) products. Thresholds governing the issuance of small craft advisories are specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats. There is no precise definition of a small craft. Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft. Other considerations include the experience of the vessel operator, and the type, overall size, and sea worthiness of the vessel. * Eastern (ME..SC, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts ranging between 25 and 33 knots (except 20 to 25 knots, lower threshold area dependent, to 33 knots for harbors, bays, etc.) and/or seas or waves 5 to 7 feet and greater, area dependent. * Central (MN..OH) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts (on the Great Lakes) between 22 and 33 knots inclusive, and/or seas or waves greater than 4 feet. * Southern (GA..TX and Caribbean) - Sustained winds of 20 to 33 knots, and/or forecast seas 7 feet or greater that are expected for more than 2 hours. * Western (WA..CA) - Sustained winds of 21 to 33 knots, and/or wave heights exceeding 10 feet (or wave steepness values exceeding local thresholds * Alaska (AK) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 23 to 33 knots. A small craft advisory for rough seas may be issued for sea/wave conditions deemed locally significant, based on user needs, and should be no lower than 8 feet. * Pacific - (HI, Guam, etc) - Sustained winds 25 knots or greater and seas 10 feet or greater; except in Guam and the northern Mariana Islands where it is sustained winds 22 to 33 knots and/or combined seas of 10 feet or greater. "Frequent gusts"are typically long duration conditions (greater than 2 hours). For a list of NWS Weather Offices by Region, refer to the following website: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/organization.php

Geronimo36
07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, it's what we have here in NJ/NY today! :)

SANDY HOOK NJ TO FIRE ISLAND INLET NY OUT 20 NM- 116 PM EDT MON JUL 27 2009
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

.REST OF TODAY...S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS EARLY THIS AFTERNOON...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS LATE. .TONIGHT...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE EVENING.

Big Time
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

Sounds like Apache water to me Frank! Fire her up! :sifone:

Ted
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
On inland areas such as the Chesapeake Bay a small craft is considered 16 foot. So 3 ft waves can cause a warning.

Geronimo36
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds like Apache water to me Frank! Fire her up! :sifone:

Tell me about it! Hopefully the swell sticks around for this weekend! :)

I had some 4' swells heading down to Shore Dreams two weeks ago, that was interesting. The weekend before that the bay was 3 foot. Lots of wind and waves this year. :driving:

Geronimo36
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=SMALL%20CRAFT
"Small Craft
There is no precise definition for small craft. Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft. Other considerations include the experience of the vessel operator, and the type, overall size, and sea worthiness of the vessel. See Small Craft Advisory."

stormrider
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks, MM, i grabbed that off NOAA too.
For some reason, I also thought it was under 65ft, but can't find any documentation on that.

For your Tri-staters... last Thurday was the start of the Around LI race(sail). We couldn't do it since our capt was outta town. But 77 boats started, and by Friday, only 7 were still going. 30+ knot winds out by Ambrose.

Geronimo36
07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
It was a pretty decent south swell for summertime!