OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:04 PM
transom 2

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
club logo

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Ryan and I almost killed ourselves putting the deck graphics on,,,,,a bit slippery up there !!!

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Pulled her out for some pics

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
outside 2

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Ohhhh,,,,, and by the way,,,,,, I almost forgot

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
ready???

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Its alive !!!!!!!!

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
port

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:14 PM
last one

OBNOXUS
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Sr asked if he should go get a battery and test the electrical,,,,,, I said heck lets get some gas and see what happens,,,,,, he got a little smirk on his face, next thing ya know he was hooking up to the dually and off to the gas station !!!!

Both motors fired right up with just a splash of fuel down the carb to get the fuel flowing from the tank.

What a bittersweet day,,,, Ill leave it at that

MILD THUNDER
03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
What a day. Ryan did a awesome job on the decals. Engines sounded real healthy.

Still cant figure out what Tony was doing blow dryin his wig while he was supposed to use the hair dryer for something else...

Tony M
03-28-2010, 09:05 PM
What a day. Ryan did a awesome job on the decals. Engines sounded real healthy.

Still cant figure out what Tony was doing blow dryin his wig while he was supposed to use the hair dryer for something else... THERE Cuzz! :sifone:

MILD THUNDER
03-28-2010, 09:07 PM
This will be the huge decal going on the hatch for when Scarrab30 and Tony M take the boat out together......of course it will be color matched though :kiss:

Tony M
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
This will be the huge decal going on the hatch for when Scarrab30 and Tony M take the boat out together......of course it will be color matched though :kiss: Want to Pizz off the over the hill Gang ! hay "Hot Dog Guy You Know What Mean" :toetap05: :cheers2:.

Magic Medicine
03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
This will be the huge decal going on the hatch for when Scarrab30 and Tony M take the boat out together......of course it will be color matched though :kiss:

Nice:sifone:

Cig Flat Deck
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
All is looking and sounding great. Just glad me and Dennis didnt slide off the boat. thanks for the help with the decals. So Mild instead of the skull you want the wheelchair? if so consider it done

Tony M
03-28-2010, 10:35 PM
All is looking and sounding great. Just glad me and Dennis didnt slide off the boat. thanks for the help with the decals. So Mild instead of the skull you want the wheelchair? if so consider it done Another Smart Azz! :toetap05:. Punk!

Cig Flat Deck
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
you called

scarrab30
03-28-2010, 11:42 PM
To everybody that was there today. Thanks , I like all the different opinions and ideas. It's fun to have people around along with an exchange of quips and barbs. the signs look awesome and the instalation was superb. Thanks again guys. Brian

DAREDEVIL
03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
To everybody that was there today. Thanks , I like all the different opinions and ideas. It's fun to have people around along with an exchange of quips and barbs. the signs look awesome and the instalation was superb. Thanks again guys. Brian

Looks good Brian,,don't forget to call me when its ready !!!!!!!!:cheers2:

redhotsommer
03-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Michelle actually came up with a great idea for the hatch...I'll call ya today on it Bri.

OBNOXUS
03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
our avatar about the size of the hatch,,,,,imagine that from a helicopter shot !!!!!!!!

redhotsommer
03-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Actually...that's about right...only with a python involved. She suggested it crawling through the eyesockets...I can have the same guy that designed the bad influence logo come up with some ideas...

Magic Medicine
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Looking great. Man this boat is coming together nicely!!!

MILD THUNDER
03-29-2010, 10:09 AM
our avatar about the size of the hatch,,,,,imagine that from a helicopter shot !!!!!!!!

This is what Ryan and I suggested....That will look very cool. :driving:

redhotsommer
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Well, I towed the Python out to Captain Nabbers today. Tom will be making a race fairing, putting the anodized red step plates on, fixing a few minor gel-coat issues, installing the hatch actuator, and putting the scoops on the hatch. Hopefully, it'll be done fairly quickly! Fingers are crossed.

When it comes home, Harvey will be finishing up the interior...and BANG...she's ready to get wet! Just need some props...

MILD THUNDER
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Well, I towed the Python out to Captain Nabbers today. Tom will be making a race fairing, putting the anodized red step plates on, fixing a few minor gel-coat issues, installing the hatch actuator, and putting the scoops on the hatch. Hopefully, it'll be done fairly quickly! Fingers are crossed.

When it comes home, Harvey will be finishing up the interior...and BANG...she's ready to get wet! Just need some props...

I'll get those 17x27's from art. Also, we should check with Frank 10x. Im sure he has some 19 spline ssm props.

MILICEVICGM
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I'll get those 17x27's from art. Also, we should check with Frank 10x. Im sure he has some 19 spline ssm props.

I have 171/2 x 28 x3 and 17 x 27 x 4. He is welcome to try them.

DAREDEVIL
04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I would think he needs some 17X30 4 blades ?! just my guess ,,but the 27 will do to get a starting # !

Good luck !:cheers2:

OBNOXUS
04-25-2010, 01:05 AM
anything ,,,,,just so we can get a baseline at this point !!!!

MILD THUNDER
04-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I have 171/2 x 28 x3 and 17 x 27 x 4. He is welcome to try them.

Hey George, how ya been...I dont think the 3 blades would work well since his drives are pretty high. But if Art falls thru on those 17x27's he has, i may call on you for yours.

I think Scarrab30 ran 15x26 on this boat before when it had trs. If he had ran 17x27 on his old setup, i would think he'd lose 400-500rpm vs the 15x26. So maybe this will work on the new setup, with the modified bottom and high drive height, which should be a faster hull. Im pretty sure he spins them motors around 6k.

I'd say they would be a great starting point. I might have a line on some 17.5x28's too

OBNOXUS
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how she runs.

Heavier but longer chines, boxes and raised drive height

I agree through,,,, I dont think 3 blades will bite enough

MILICEVICGM
04-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey George, how ya been...I dont think the 3 blades would work well since his drives are pretty high. But if Art falls thru on those 17x27's he has, i may call on you for yours.

I think Scarrab30 ran 15x26 on this boat before when it had trs. If he had ran 17x27 on his old setup, i would think he'd lose 400-500rpm vs the 15x26. So maybe this will work on the new setup, with the modified bottom and high drive height, which should be a faster hull. Im pretty sure he spins them motors around 6k.

I'd say they would be a great starting point. I might have a line on some 17.5x28's too

Hi Joe,
Congratulations on the new toy. Hope to see you on the lake soon.

If you need to try my 4 blades, just call.

G.

redhotsommer
05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
So....we've been on a bit of a pause due to the windscreen project being undertaken at Captain Nabbers. It has been just over a month. I called Tom today and he said it would be done in less than two weeks. Fingers are crossed.

Kool-Aid Man
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
So....we've been on a bit of a pause due to the windscreen project being undertaken at Captain Nabbers. It has been just over a month. I called Tom today and he said it would be done in less than two weeks. Fingers are crossed.

Unless you're waving hundred dollar bills in his face I would say other 4wks...

redhotsommer
05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
My main reason for posting was to publically point out what I was told. We will see what actually happens. I politely informed him that it wasn't just Brian that wanted this done...a whole bunch of us put time and effort into that boat this winter, and we want to see it run...SOON.

Kool-Aid Man
05-27-2010, 01:34 PM
i would highly advise you to stop out there multiple times to check the progress or it will be a few weeks...just my opinion

redhotsommer
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
If it was next door, I would. But it's a 30 minute drive each way. If I go down there, I'm coming back with a boat behind me.

Magic Medicine
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree with Brian that guy is freakin slow!!!!! Doesn't know how to keep to a schedule, he get cussed out multiply times a day if he was doing my job!

redhotsommer
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
He is always crying broke. And who knows, maybe he is. All I know is that Brian has paid him PLENTY, and he more than deserves top-shelf treatment considering how long Tom had the hull in the first place. It's already been a month out there...if he doesn't make good...I'm calling out the dogs.

MILD THUNDER
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Ill be out that way next week

DAREDEVIL
05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
This Tom,,would not be Tom Huston ??? no ?

redhotsommer
05-28-2010, 07:28 AM
No Scott. Tom Nabbers.

And Joe...maybe stop in and see the progress?

OBNOXUS
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Ill swing out there today :smash:

MILD THUNDER
05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
This Tom,,would not be Tom Huston ??? no ?

you know tommy houston?

DAREDEVIL
05-28-2010, 09:21 AM
you know tommy houston?

Who does not ?? LOL don't know if its good or bad tho..hahahaha:eek::sifone:

TIKI
06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Did she get wet yet?

Tony M
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Did she get wet yet? Still out at Morris Il for more Glass work! :toetap05:

redhotsommer
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Funny you should ask, though. Fairing is finished, just needs to be set on permanently. Also, they are supposed to wet sand the cockpit floor, and then she'll be ready. Brian has pictures, but cannot post them due to redneckness. Hopefully I'll be towing her home next week. Then, water.

redhotsommer
07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
OK. Per Tom Nabbers 10 minutes ago, the boat should be done on Thursday...sans the hatch, which is still being modified with scoops to fit the velocity stacks.

OVER THREE FREAKING MONTHS SINCE I TOWED IT OVER THERE. :mad:

SC288
07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
OK. Per Tom Nabbers 10 minutes ago, the boat should be done on Thursday...sans the hatch, which is still being modified with scoops to fit the velocity stacks.

Is it going to make an appearance at the races?

redhotsommer
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
That's the goal...still have to have some stuff come together.

OBNOXUS
07-27-2010, 10:17 PM

YES !!!!!!

Magic Medicine
07-28-2010, 06:57 AM

That guy is slow:cuss:. So Mikey did you :cuss:?

redhotsommer
07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Don't have the whole boat back yet...so I'm not saying anything bad.

Tony M
07-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't have the whole boat back yet...so I'm not saying anything bad. Old Zipper Works Well !:iagree: Every Dog has there DAY just got to wait for it .:sifone:.

B.Z.
07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

perfect place for the 1st outing!!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-28-2010, 10:19 PM
perfect place for the 1st outing!!!!!

:iagree:

Tony M
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
:iagree: Should be .:driving: :USA:

MILD THUNDER
07-30-2010, 08:40 PM

I picked boat up today. Hatch will be done for the Races. We will need to make another trip back out there to pick up the hatch and we will install it ourselves when its done. First option was to take it as is, but I opted for them to FINISH the hatch and install the scoops, so the boat is complete, and the way its supposed to be for this run. Hatch will be done by wednesday.

The fairing looks great, and the scoops will really look good once its all together. At least now we can tidy up and get some little stuff done before next weekend.

Tony M
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
I picked boat up today. Hatch will be done for the Races. We will need to make another trip back out there to pick up the hatch and we will install it ourselves when its done. First option was to take it as is, but I opted for them to FINISH the hatch and install the scoops, so the boat is complete, and the way its supposed to be for this run. Hatch will be done by wednesday.

The fairing looks great, and the scoops will really look good once its all together. At least now we can tidy up and get some little stuff done before next weekend. Joe ! Thank you !:driving:.

MILICEVICGM
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM

The fairing looks great, and the scoops will really look good once its all together. At least now we can tidy up and get some little stuff done before next weekend.

Joe,we need pictures of fairing.

MILD THUNDER
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Ask and you shall recieve. kind of a crappy pic, but took it with my phone. We will be removing "python" and installing it on the fairing, possibly a bit wider.

Also is a pic of one of the new scoops..

MILD THUNDER
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM

George, you coming to the races next weekend?

MILICEVICGM
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
George, you coming to the races next weekend?

Yes, I am.
Today I saw your twin, thought it was you until I got closer. This boat wasn't loud enought.
Are you still running 3 blade wheels or ???
I might get another set of four blades this week. Not sure if they are 17 or
16 3/4 x 27 until I see them.

MILD THUNDER
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, I am.
Today I saw your twin, thought it was you until I got closer. This boat wasn't loud enought.
Are you still running 3 blade wheels or ???
I might get another set of four blades this week. Not sure if they are 17 or
16 3/4 x 27 until I see them.

yes, i tried some 4 blades, but the set i tried couldnt get on plane with them. Odd.

Brian just got some 16 3/4x28 big shaft props i plan to try next....If he gets the adapters he needs"

I'll give you a shout tomorrow....:cheers2:

Magic Medicine
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Looking great!!!! Can't wait to see it this weekend!!!!

OBNOXUS
08-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Just got home,,, we made some progress,,,,, fixed some issues with the rigging that were found, and made a parts list that Joe will pick up during the day tomorrow.

Hatch on, carpet and seats layed in. Looking goos

24 hours to next update !!! And hopefully some really good news

FYI,,,, do not go to dinner with Joe Keith and Ryan,,,,, you learn WAAAAYYYY to much about what goes on in flatdeck cabins !!!!

Be happy you went home Mike !!!

MILD THUNDER
08-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Just got home,,, we made some progress,,,,, fixed some issues with the rigging that were found, and made a parts list that Joe will pick up during the day tomorrow.

FYI,,,, do not go to dinner with Joe Keith and Ryan,,,,, you learn WAAAAYYYY to much about what goes on in flatdeck cabins !!!!

Talked to brian on the way home. Tomorrow morning im gonna hook up with him, and fasten all the interior, since he has all the hardware. Also, install the indicators, and he wants to install the compass :confused:

Him and I can get all that stuff done, and then you guys can take over from there.

is it odd that 3 grown men sleep in the v-berth of a flatdeck cig? I didnt think so at first, until Ryan started playing "careless whispers" by wham on the cabin speakers and flipped the mood lights on. That weirded me out.

MILD THUNDER
08-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Here it is waiting to get in the shop. As you can see i have a bed full of parts.

redhotsommer
08-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Man...given the times you guys are posting, I'm glad I went home when I did!

Magic Medicine
08-05-2010, 08:28 AM

You gotta watch out for that YOUNG crew, they are animals. This is the reason I pass out early on my boat, don't want any part of there shananigans:bump:

Magic Medicine
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Here it is waiting to get in the shop. As you can see i have a bed full of parts.

Looking good!!!!!

OBNOXUS
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

White Castles is dinner???? Shyt, and you told me I have to cook all the time! :icon_bs::kiss:

Mrs. OB

Magic Medicine
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
White Castles is dinner???? Shyt, and you told me I have to cook all the time! :icon_bs::kiss:

Mrs. OB

:eek::sifone: Now that is funny chit!!!!

Tony M
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Mrs. OB Kind of dinner be thankful nothing else got Shyty. :ack2:.

redhotsommer
08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
It's sitting in my driveway. Fresh coat of wax on the deck, interior and upholstery all cleaned up...ready to rumble.

Joe and Brian bolted down the interior today, re-mounted the indicators, and set the timing.

Saturday is the day.

MILD THUNDER
08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
It's sitting in my driveway. Fresh coat of wax on the deck, interior and upholstery all cleaned up...ready to rumble.

Joe and Brian bolted down the interior today, re-mounted the indicators, and set the timing.

Saturday is the day.

It was a productive day to say the least. Installed GPS antenna, step plates, indicators, set timing, bolted down interior, adjusted the canootan valve, repacked muffler bearings, and topped off the horn fluid. Very happy we got to install the indicators and fasten everything with the proper hardware.

I wish i coulda stuck around to help you polish her up mike. Im sure its looking great :cheers2:

OBNOXUS
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
It was a productive day to say the least. Installed GPS antenna, step plates, indicators, set timing, bolted down interior, adjusted the canootan valve, repacked muffler bearings, and topped off the horn fluid. Very happy we got to install the indicators and fasten everything with the proper hardware.

I wish i coulda stuck around to help you polish her up mike. Im sure its looking great :cheers2:

compass???? :cuss:

redhotsommer
08-05-2010, 11:15 PM
No compass. Yet. I said whattaya need a compass for, you are going THAT way..you know, where the boat is pointed.

Here's a few pics...

OBNOXUS
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
No compass. . :cheers2::26::03::party:

Exhilaration
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Nice!

MILD THUNDER
08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
:cheers2::26::03::party:

At this point, the only place to mount the compass the compass is out on the deck.

If i was to install one on the boat, it would be something like this. Fits in standard 2 1/16 gauge hole

OBNOXUS
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
She's looks great! CONGRATS guys you did an Awesome job! :cheers2:

Mrs. OB

scarrab30
08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
This is a never ending saga of snake bite. survey tomorrow, most underwriters don't want anything to do with taking this on. Took a week off to finish this but does'nt look like it's going to happen too soon. Brite side , my neighbors are happy i'm back. they all have their laundry list of things they want me to do for them on my vacation.

Magic Medicine
08-10-2010, 07:52 AM
The boat looks GREAT!

MrCig
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey Mike got the message. I'm Waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned for updated status

Mark:cheers2:

redhotsommer
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Just got home...Michelle took the f*^%$in cord that connects the camera to the computer to Colorado! Got pics and video of the maiden voyage from onboard...Cheryl got some from shore.

At any rate...it RUNS. Sure...it took Dennis and Tom Nabbers on the bow and me running it up to 4k before it hooked up, but it runs! Saw 82 mph at 5k, but these props were completely wrong. Boat likes to porpoise a bit, and I had it doing a NASTY chine walk when I tried to accelerate out of the porpoise and then backed out of it.

Melted a couple hose fittings on the exhaust and spewed a TON of water into the bilge, but hey, that's what bilge pumps are for, right?

In all, it was a success.

OBNOXUS
08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Straight Jacket getting WET :willy_nilly:

OBNOXUS
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
:driving:

OBNOXUS
08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
:USA:

OBNOXUS
08-11-2010, 10:38 PM
:)

MrCig
08-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks great in the water. What props did you try?

Mark

scarrab30
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
some really bad ones, that joe tried. 16 3/4 x 27. Joe had them at air marine, and they were off quite a bit. Mike said; the rpm match was off about 400. The fittings that got toasted; were because I had the blow off pressure set to low.

Candyman
08-12-2010, 02:07 AM
She looks sweet in the water. Can't wait to see her on the big pond.

MILD THUNDER
08-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Sorry i couldnt make it guys. Roofers didnt get done till around 430.

Glad to hear you were able to at least get a shakedown run in. Looks great sitting in the water, not as low in the ass like we thought it would.

redhotsommer
08-12-2010, 07:50 AM
So, here's some details from the ride.

Scarrab30 didn't want to go...he wanted to stay ashore and listen to his motors...no amount of prodding could get him in the boat (not the most inspiring thing to hear considering he's the one that rigged it! ;)) So, myself, Big D and Tom Nabbers jumped in. When I lit the first motor...holy crap...my heart jumped. They are just BAAAAAAD sounding. Pulling away from the dock, one motor died from the load, but it was hard to tell it was off, they are both so loud.

Then it was time to get on plane. We knew the props that are on it wouldn't get Joe's Fountain on plane, and we had our doubts as to whether it would work with this one. I ran it up to 2500, and got nothing but slip. Props were aerating like crazy, and the bow came WAY up. We then figured out that the IN and OUT were reversed on the trim switch...dropping the drives got the bow to come down a bit, but Den and Tom climbing on the freshly waxed deck (with NO rails) and me running it up to 4000 FINALLY got it to come over. Of course, by this time we were doing 40 mph...thank god the water was flat as they quickly scrambled off the deck and into the cockpit. Tabbing up was like hitting the afterburners...it jumped like 15 mph. Mid-range on those motors is like no boat I've ever been in...it was like that in the Scarab...literally blows you back into the seat from 50-70...with the right props, I'm thinking it will induce whiplash.

We continued down river, just feeling out the motors and watching gauges. The boat tracks very well, but with no power steering, it was a bit of a bear to turn a 180 without coming off plane on a relatively narrow body of water. On the way back towards the ramp, I started giving it a bit of stick and playing with the drive trim. Just before the ramp, it developed a nasty porpoise, which I tried to accelerate out of. That didn't work, so I attempted to trim down. Hitting the "DOWN" button in it's reversed state actually trimmed the drives "UP," compounding the porpoising, as all the weight is in the ass on this boat. Then, the bow dug hard and began a chine walk, producing a slightly alarming situation (understatment). I chopped the throttles and Den hit the trim button and it settled down...got to get some seat time to figure that scenario out...Fountains don't behave that way!

Then Den got behind the wheel, and is his way, had the thing firewalled in less than a minute. It ran smooth until trimmed up too far, and the porpoise would come back into play...could be due to the props or the lack of tab. Using the GPS on Den's phone, we saw 82 mph, but it definately had a lot more as the motors were only spinning 5k. On the way back to the ramp the second time, Den feels the gunwale and says "Does this seem hot to you?" I felt it, and it was quite warm, but figured it was the result of the 90 degree outside temps. It was warm by Tom as well, and the gauges were all fogged up...we figured it was a result of the humidity. A minute or so later, I suggested we at least pop the hatch and see if anything was leaking in the bilge. We slowed down, and I opened the cover to the "cabin" and was greeted with a clowd of steam. Tom correctly assessed that something in the engine compartment was leaking and the steam was building forward through the gunwales...I popped the hatch and was engulfed in a sauna. The 90 degree fittings on all four exhaust pipes had melted and/or popped out...we were PUMPING water into that bilge! Fortunately, the bilge pumps kept up nicely!

We brought it back to the dock to assess the situation, initially thinking it was just one fitting that came off. Upon seeing that it had actually blown the outside hoses completely off and behind the motors, we knew the day was done and Brian went to get the trailer. The ramp at the state park in Morris isn't the greatest, and the combination of a corrigated concrete surface and a low-hanging crossmember on the trailer, plus no weight in the back of Brian's dually equated to another 4wd diesel having to pull us out!

There you have it, the maiden voyage is in the books.

teamsynergy
08-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Mike... glad to hear that you guys finally got it wet! Now you just have the fine tuning to get done. Should be smooth sailing from here :)

Magic Medicine
08-12-2010, 08:05 AM
The boat looks BA, can't wait to see it on the water!!!!!

OBNOXUS
08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
As we though, and as you can tell by the pictures the boat rides quite high with the extended chines. ( post 344 top right pic )
That was 5k, drives trimmed out and considerable tab.

We came up with a few ideas to settle it down, Props,,,prop rotation,,,ballast in the nose,,,, it will take some seat time to feel the boat out.

Hopefully the other props will help the plaining issue,,,,, Hippie kid doesn't weigh enough to help get the nose down,,,, and I'm not sure we are going to get Tom on the boat with us driving again !!!!

My previous though that " who needs indicators " went right out the window,,,,, you need to know exactly where the tabs are at all times on the boat !!!

My first thought as Mike was driving,,,,,,, I think we can drive through this porpoising,,,,, I'm running drive and tab position scenarios through my head,,,,,, then the chine walking started,,,,,,,, my the second thought was,,,,,,,Lets not kill ourselves and destroy the boat its first time out !!!!!!!!! ( I must be getting old )

Pretty cool when you can about reach out and touch the water,,,,,, when you are standing in between the bolsters !!!!! :eek:

Should be interesting,,,, low 80's at 4500 rpm before my battery died,,,, I had it to 5k before the steam shower kicked in and we called it a day,,,,,, SR. says the motors pull over 6k,,,,, do the math !!!!!!

Water test part 2 to come shortly.

Magic Medicine
08-12-2010, 09:21 AM
As we though, and as you can tell by the pictures the boat rides quite high with the extended chines. ( post 344 top right pic )

We came up with a few ideas to settle it down, Props,,,prop rotation,,,ballast in the nose,,,, it will take some seat time to feel the boat out.

Hopefully the other props will help the plaining issue,,,,, Hippie kid doesnt weigh enough to help get the nose down,,,, and Im not sure we are going to get Tom on the boat with us driving again !!!!

My previous though that " who needs indicators " went right out the window,,,,, you need to know exactly where the tabs are at all times on the boat !!!

My first thought as Mike was driving,,,,,,, I think we can drive through this porpousing,,,,, Im running drive and tab position senarious through my head,,,,,, then the chine walking started,,,,,,,, my the second thought was,,,,,,,Lets not kill ourselves and destroy the boat its first time out !!!!!!!!!

Pretty cool when you can about reach out and touch the water,,,,,, when you are standing in between the bolsters !!!!! :eek:

Should be interesting,,,, low 80's at 4500 rpm before my battery died,,,, I had it to 5k before the steam shower kicked in and we called it a day,,,,,, SR. says the motors pull over 6k,,,,, do the math !!!!!!

Water test part 2 to come shortly.

What size wheels are you coming to try next? That puppy doesn't need any help with lift!:driving:

MILD THUNDER
08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Try other props first. Then Try props spinning out! I think that will solve the porpoising issue and improve overall handling. Worth a try. I dont think the boat will have a problem carrying the nose with the props turning out with the boxes and round ear props he got. Plus his propshafts are pretty deep compared to some with boxes. Looks like its definintly getting clean water to the props.

All in all looking good!!

Turning in on my Formula was fast, and got the boat loose. BUT, That was a 13k lb 40FT tank. It needed loose! That boat needed all the help it could get to carry the bow.

Twin Whackas
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Pictures look awesome. Congrats.

OBNOXUS
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Then Try props spinning out!

Yup,,,, thats what I said yesterday at the launch,,,,, worth the couple MPH to not die Im thinking !!! :eek: Man Im getting old,,,, this sucks

Buoy
08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice job guys!! I've been kind of following this project, and really glad to see it in the water. You're likely only a few steps away from getting it dialed in (if there ever truly is a dialed in...:rolleyes:)
Boat looks great in the water.
Congrats!

Candyman
08-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Yup,,,, thats what I said yesterday at the launch,,,,, worth the couple MPH to not die Im thinking !!! :eek: Man Im getting old,,,, this sucks

I bet you pick up MPH along with maneuverability around the dock. Were the props always spinning in?

OBNOXUS
08-13-2010, 08:37 AM
props were always spinning in.

but the chines were extended to the transom now so the boat runs alot higher then before.

Dont need the transom lift of turning in anymore

Roger 1
08-13-2010, 09:32 AM
props were always spinning in.

but the chines were extended to the transom now so the boat runs alot higher then before.

Dont need the transom lift of turning in anymore

Do you mean that the "chines" or the ''center lifting strakes'' were extended to the transom?

kvogt
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
My two cents.

I would definitely try spinning the props out, you have a relatively small boat for running transmissions, boxes and fours. Looking how the boat is running in the pictures it does run high in the water but it is also running very nose high (not flat). Next thing try as many different props as you can. My brother has some 18 x31 4 blade 19 spine props you guys can try.

When I first put the Arnesons on my flat deck I started with the props turning in because thats what your supposed to do with surface drives, I settled in on running them out.

Kris Vogt

MILD THUNDER
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
My two cents.

I would definitely try spinning the props out, you have a relatively small boat for running transmissions, boxes and fours. Looking how the boat is running in the pictures it does run high in the water but it is also running very nose high (not flat). Next thing try as many different props as you can. My brother has some 18 x31 4 blade 19 spine props you guys can try.

When I first put the Arnesons on my flat deck I started with the props turning in because thats what your supposed to do with surface drives, I settled in on running them out.

Kris Vogt

I agree with ya Kris!

Was hoping to see you and Kirk at the Races last weekend. Hope all is well.

kvogt
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with ya Kris!

Was hoping to see you and Kirk at the Races last weekend. Hope all is well.

For sure next year. The boat is turning out good but taking longer than expected.

Kris

MILD THUNDER
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
For sure next year. The boat is turning out good but taking longer than expected.

Kris

Cool! You and Kirk woulda fit right in on the 800 dock with us...We had MR. Cig, Fox Hunter, and Ryan's Flatdecks all on one dock...

scarrab30
08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Inner strakes extended to transom.

scarrab30
08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Kris, we may want to try those props; after we try a set i'm waiting for adapters for. Brian

MILD THUNDER
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
18x31's might be tough to pull....Then again, you have race hatches, so we could always bolt some 10-71's on!

OBNOXUS
08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
what he said !!

Tony M
08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Yup,,,, thats what I said yesterday at the launch,,,,, worth the couple MPH to not die Im thinking !!! :eek: Man Im getting old,,,, this sucks Now with those suckers on there after 1 time out you might need your Shorts clean and you would have an Aged alot more. :leaving: :driving:.

Roger 1
08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Inner strakes extended to transom.

That's kinda' what I thought he meant. I think that it's pretty important for the chines to extend all the way to the transom on all boats....LOL:cheers2:

Ratickle
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
That's kinda' what I thought he meant. I think that it's pretty important for the chines to extend all the way to the transom on all boats....LOL:cheers2:

Except Batboats......:sifone:

scarrab30
09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Latest, Mike sommer and his dad machined the prop adapters, and they fit like a glove. It was alot of set up work, but they came out great. Mild thunder and I went to the canal dropped the barge in. The results were not good , over 75 it wants to do the bow dance, over 80 it starts the chine walk. We took it to 88mph and that was as fast as we dare take it. 88mph was at 5000 rpm spinnig 16 3/4x 28 pitch that have alot of modifications ( rounded tips like a hydro motive). I'm real disapointed in this project. Brian

OBNOXUS
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I would still like to try spinning out if you have time this week

scarrab30
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm going to try to get that done tomorrow.

MILD THUNDER
09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Latest, Mike sommer and his dad machined the prop adapters, and they fit like a glove. It was alot of set up work, but they came out great. Mild thunder and I went to the canal dropped the barge in. The results were not good , over 75 it wants to do the bow dance, over 80 it starts the chine walk. We took it to 88mph and that was as fast as we dare take it. 88mph was at 5000 rpm spinnig 16 3/4x 28 pitch that have alot of modifications ( rounded tips like a hydro motive). I'm real disapointed in this project. Brian

Patience my friend! It will come together. Take everything from what it was, and throw those thoughts out the window. It's entirely new boat. Solid construction, solid drivetrain, great looking and great sounding.88mph in a short burst, no positive trim, still not dialed in, ain't too shabby! Let's get them props turning out,
and drop them drives an inch, I think you will likey. The speed will come once we get the handling figured out. As we know the slightest adjustments can go a long way.

One things for sure, that sob pulls hard!

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2010, 07:18 AM
BTW, your prop slip is around 3% turning a 28p at 5k at 88mph if my calculations are correct. Not bad!!!!

OBNOXUS
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
HMMMMM

Magic Medicine
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Props tuning in sounds like a starting point. I bet that helps alot.

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Props tuning in sounds like a starting point. I bet that helps alot.

Their in now. Out should help stabilize it I hope

redhotsommer
09-29-2010, 09:53 AM
BTW, your prop slip is around 3% turning a 28p at 5k at 88mph if my calculations are correct. Not bad!!!!

Too little slip? Don was recommending 8% for a 4-blade...

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Too little slip? Don was recommending 8% for a 4-blade...

Brian and I just got off the phone. We are gonna try going up one inch with the boxes.

redhotsommer
09-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Yup. Talked to him earlier.

Magic Medicine
09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Good luck guys!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!