PDA

View Full Version : Pole Barn Question

89Mach1
07-23-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm looking into building a pole barn next spring and was curious about a couple things. For starters, the barn is going to be 32' x 40' and I'd like to have a full loft above it for living quarters. I DO NOT want to have support posts in the "barn" part to support beams for the floor joists above. Do any of you have something similar, and if so do you have posts or not and what did you if you don' have posts? I don't want to use attic trusses, so that idea is out. Any info and pics would be great! Thanks!

Jay

Ratickle
07-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I believe "attic" trusses may be your best option. Not sure we're talking about the same thing though.

For a 32 span, to get completely away from support, that is a long distance. If I were you, I'd go to a truss designer, Menard's may have one, and price it both ways before making a decision. It's gonna be expensive, and the difference in price may get you a much larger building with a normal "supported" in the center design.

drpete3
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
NOt sure how your going to get around not using attic trusses with a span that far. Another Idea that just came to ming is calling the general. thats what they say on thier commercials. they are steel structure buildings. They may have somthing different to offer.

Sydwayz
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
You will be better off with a steel structure building to pull that off.

pullmytrigger
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
you have to support the roof somehow.....either trusses in the attic or support posts going to the floor......as posted above you might get it done in steel but it will be big $$ for that span.....

Viper31
07-23-2009, 06:21 PM
This is a great site to see a bunch of garage and building ideas, check it out.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Buoy
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I have to agree, you're going to be much better off and more economical if you're going steel.

rbr2328
11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Cecil Pigg out of Alabama has some big span trusses

Muley
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Need a little more info about the building. I work for a truss manufaturer in Iowa, so I may be able to get ya going in the right direction. First of all, is this going to be a 2 story type building? Meaning, walls, then floor system, then walls again, then roof? If that's the case, u can go with a floor truss that will clear spean the 32 feet. It would be aroung 24 inches deep, putting them on 16 inch centers.
Also, why no attic trusses? Lots of options there as well.

publius
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
You are going to have to have some kind of support. As far as the pole barn idea, have you considered making it out of concrete blocks? Not that hard to do yourself and if you are worried about the loogs of poles in the middle of the barn, maybe you wouldn't mind a wall down the middle making 2 rooms and providing lots of support?

insanity
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Go with a steel building, no problem spanning that distance. Then if you want an 'attic', build a steel mezzanine.

JupiterSunsation
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
This is a great site to see a bunch of garage and building ideas, check it out.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

that site can be a bigger time waster than any boat site! :D

Ratickle
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
that site can be a bigger time waster than any boat site! :D

Now that's a scary thought.......:eek:

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Maybe this will help,

http://www.muellerinc.com/building/index.php

hotjava66
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
it can be done but probably not as a pole building, would have to be stick built, steel, or block. that is if you want a true useable second story, i think with an attic style truss you are limited on load. i saw one a while back that was really neat. 40x80 open no posts, 16' ceiling on bottom level, top level was living quarters with with cathedral ceiling. had steel beams holding up top level, bottom level walls were split faced block, upper level half log sided. boats, sleds, cars toys downstairs, 3200 sq ft living upstairs. big $ though

Hard Charger
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
If you're not a farmer than you will have to pull a building permit. In order to do that you will need a GC License. Some states do allow the property owners to pull a permit without a GC license. Also, I would suspect your state is currently following the IBC Code. These codes are much tougher than the old ones. Here's a rough estimate for a 1,280sf metal building.
DIV 1- General Conditions 5k -10k (If you hire a GC.)
DIV 2- Site 1k-2k
DIV 3- Concrete 6k-8k
DIV 4- Masonry None
DIV 5- Metals (Structural Steel) None
DIV 6-Woods & Plastics (Interior Framing) 5k
DIV 7- Thermal & Moisture (Insualtion included in Metal Bldg)
DIV 8- Doors & Windows (Roll up door (s)?) 3-6k
DIV 9- Finishes (Drywall, Flooring Paint) 5-10k
DIV 13- Metal Bldg 15-20sf = 20-25k
DIV 15- Mechanical (Plumbing & HVAC) 12-15k
DIV 16- Electrical 10k
Total= 67k -91k

Right now you are probably thinking WTF!!! And you are right. So I would start by contacting my local bldg. department to find out what their requiments are i.e. permits, stamped drawings, property set backs. Then I would contact 2-3 local GC's. Get them to provide you a basic building layout and cost breakdown that meets your criteria. ::USA:

MarylandMark
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Total= 67k -91k

Glad I don't live where you do!!

60 x 40 with 20 ceilings, concrete pad with drains, vinyl siding to match house, 25 year shingles, 5" gutters, bathroom, hot water heater, electric every 10 feet, steel I beam with/including motor hoist, air compressor outlets every 20 feet including huge compressor in it's own shed outback to keep the noise down, vents for exhaust, fans, heat pump, surround sound, floor sealed and painted, custom drive stands, toilet paper in the bathroom, sodium lighting, mucho earth work before building, 80 x 60 asphalt driveway, etc for under $50K.

Thanks for the breakdown- not saying it as you don't know what you are talking about by any means; just that is quite a bit more than in my area 20 miles south of DC.

RichL
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM

60 x 40 with 20 ceilings, concrete pad with drains, vinyl siding to match house, 25 year shingles, 5" gutters, bathroom, hot water heater, electric every 10 feet, steel I beam with/including motor hoist, air compressor outlets every 20 feet including huge compressor in it's own shed outback to keep the noise down, vents for exhaust, fans, heat pump, surround sound, floor sealed and painted, custom drive stands, toilet paper in the bathroom, sodium lighting, mucho earth work before building, 80 x 60 asphalt driveway, etc for under $50K.

Thanks for the breakdown- not saying it as you don't know what you are talking about by any means; just that is quite a bit more than in my area 20 miles south of DC.

That sounds like a hull of a deal to me. Couldn't even touch your description for that money around here.

drpete3
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I built a 40x60 pole barn w 10 ft walls and concrete slab w a fiber wood side wall and materials cost me 25K. Did the work myself.

Was used for horeses. the ex took those so now I gotta huge barn for boats :)

runninhotracing
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
you have to support the roof somehow.....either trusses in the attic or support posts going to the floor......as posted above you might get it done in steel but it will be big $$ for that span.....

+1

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DRYDEN PERFORMANCE MARINE 302-367-4962 :driving:

Coolerman
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
we have a building code that only allows 10' sidewalls. So we used scissor trusses over a 30' span, and got an 11' door in.

hotjava66
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM

a truss transfers the roof load to the sidewalls, so in a typical build you could use a standard truss and have open floor. its the second floor living area that causes problems because the bottom chord of a truss isnt meant to carry a load. the bigger the span and heavier the load, the heavier the bottom chord needs to be. in a house for the floor you can only span 20' with a 2x12, so even with a heavy attic truss you still need steel beams to carry to the sidewalls if you are going to load it considerably

Hard Charger
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM

Thats about right for material. How much more was your labor cost?

MarylandMark
01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Thats about right for material. How much more was your labor cost?

LOL- turn key and a fridge full of beer to go with it! Well the fridge wasn't included in that price but still. Workers in my area must be hurting more than other parts of the country.

BobbyB
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM

And that garage is Bad Azz.

aquatictherapy
01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I did mine with National Barn. It is 32x40 with two 12x12 garage doors, 14 foot side walls. Concrete floors, electric, garage doors, assembly and all for under 25k. it has trusses 4 ft on center. Make sure you ventilate well or it will create a steam bath in the summer when you bring a boat and a little water in the garage. Good luck. I would rather have a good garage than a nice house. Gotta keep the toys comfortable!!!