PDA

View Full Version : Business Mileage?

Bad Idea Baja
07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Lets say you return home early from vacation. Cancel plans & such. You charge the time & mileage from where you are to where work is.
Reimbursable or not?

Buoy
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
It was going to cause you the same amount of travel to get back when you were scheduled to be back, no?
Any expenses for canceling reservations/changing flights and such, I could see a viable argument.

Bad Idea Baja
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
It ended vacation a day early & the same miles were driven. No canceled flights or anything like that. Did cancel some plans & was inconvenienced in a big way.

Buoy
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
If you incurred any monetary expenses that you wouldn't have incurred had your plans remained as scheduled, I think you have a valid point to discuss.

As far as inconvenience...
Be glad you have a job, I've been searching for awhile now, and it's hard to even get in the door for an interview.
Choose your battles.

Chris
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
You were driving home anyway.

These aren't the economic times for a guy with a good job to be splitting hairs with an employer. They may be evaluating their next round of cuts this very moment.

Being unemployed will inconvenience you in a MUCH bigger way.

JupiterSunsation
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
You were driving home anyway.

These aren't the economic times for a guy with a good job to be splitting hairs with an employer. They may be evaluating their next round of cuts this very moment.

Being unemployed will inconvenience you in a MUCH bigger way.

Interesting perspective......I didn't think of it from an employee's point of view. I was thinking of it from an owner's point of view.

As employee in a recession, thank the boss for calling you in early in hopes you are remembered for it on the lay off day.......and the other guy gets it.

pullmytrigger
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
is the guy hourly or salry?......what does he net per week?......does he usaually get paid for mileage?......it depends on alot of factors

when I was an employee that type of thing used to happen......I would just get paid OT......I made like $30/hr in those days.....I would have been much happier if the boss had of personally delivered me another $100 in cash thanking me in person for the inconvience (prob $150-$200 today haha ) plus the OT, govt takes most of your OT and you end up with jack in the end......but FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY thats the way you get a crew of good people who will pick up their cell on their day off and be there for you instead of letting you leave a message and playing the game.....and IMO today its all about good people

my boss thought putting my name on the company chalk board and a company tee shirt (I already had like 5 of them:rolleyes:) would be all a man could possibly want.......he was so out to lunch......now after I took two of his best accounts, him and I are competitors.....

MarylandMark
07-21-2009, 06:53 AM
If I am off; I am off.

If I have to do any thing work related I should be paid for it- I'm working right?

Griff
07-29-2009, 01:45 AM
You cannot deduct mileage to or from your regular place of employment, assuming you are an employee. If you have to drive to another location to do some work, then its deductable.

boatme
07-29-2009, 06:41 AM
If I am off; I am off.

If I have to do any thing work related I should be paid for it- I'm working right?

NOPE!! It is called going the extra mile, and especially in this economy it may be the difference in retaining a job, not just doing one

fund razor
07-29-2009, 06:52 AM
This is interesting.... I am out of town getting another class in toward my professional certification. My employer paid for the class and the hotel. And will pay mileage.

(The cost of the class is easily offset by the information that I get, and is recouped in what I raise per year... one or two best practices learned and we are back in the black.)

I decided not to expense any meals this time. I want to come back again later in the year for one last class. Then I can get my CFRE, which will add four letters behind my name and increase my earning potential by about 30% over the next 20 years. I decided that the least I could do was go back and tell them "no meal receipts.... I got it."

And they already reduced my salary by 8 days pay per year. (Company wide.)

cigdaze
07-29-2009, 08:31 AM
If I am off; I am off.

There's some union thinking for ya...
:p :26:

boatme
07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
There's some union thinking for ya...
:p :26:

Interesting I was thinking the same thing

MarylandMark
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
NOPE!! It is called going the extra mile, and especially in this economy it may be the difference in retaining a job, not just doing one

My time is too valuable to give it away for free; sorry you guys don't think as highly of your time. The work I do when I am on the clock is going to help me retain my job.

You have to ask yourself (out of your co-workers) who could your boss live without being there every day. Try to keep yourself on the bottom of that list and you won't have to worry about retaining your job in any economy.

If I am going to work for free I'd want it to be testing a boat, trying out beer or a food taster- watching TV and surfing the net I want to be paid for.

pullmytrigger
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
So BI Baja, what did you do......????

tomcei
07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Going the extra mile and staying committed to the objectives of the company go a very long way!
Keeping people on staff that "don't",... doesn't make sense. ,especially when tough decisions need to be made.
I see it like this. Your either part of the solution or part of the problem.

boatme
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Mark

Can I ask how old you are ?

I will explain when you answer but my guess (and i could be wrong) is you are under 35 years old maybe under 30 am I close ?

MarylandMark
07-30-2009, 05:22 PM
5/17/1972

Born & raised in Texas until the savings and loan scandal and the local oil market collapsed which is when we relocated to Maryland.

I graduated high school in the early 1990's when we were in a recession.

I've seen with my own eyes having any job- even more so with a good job- is some thing not to be taken for granted and not a right but a privilege. It comes down to I feel I have to have and keep my skill level high enough to be in demand at all times- that my boss not only wants to keep me but keep me happy because his competitor is waiting in the parking lot hoping and praying I come out the door one day unhappy so he can steal me away.

So working for free- not a chance but I put myself in such a position that I don't have to either.

Geronimo36
07-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Marc, I agree with you and Chris on this.... I also agree with Fund on the expensing his meals and such, especially in these times...

Two stories;
A few months ago I was in San Jose on business and the guys I was with were expensing everything, it was like they were on vacation..... Martini's at the hotel bar, steak dinners etc. etc... They felt it was owed to them since they were on travel...and I think that's BS!!! When I expense my meals etc. when I travel, I expense what I think is fair...not $100 steak dinners...maybe a $40 dinner...and if the hotel provides continental breakfast for free then use it, don't splurge on a huge breakfast just because you're on travel.

Second Story;
Was speaking with someone earlier in the week... They got a notice which had to be signed, stating employees weren't allowed to work from home any more, couldn't take vacation (unless it was scheduled before the date of the letter) and had to be available for support 24/7 for the next 60 work days....

Person I talked to had a week long vacation planned ahead of time before they signed the letter but they weren't going anywhere, they were basically staying home for the week and relaxing on the couch or at the beach...

I suggested that when they saw the letter they should have cancelled vacation because that's a sign of things to come and nows not the time to be taking vacation time.....

Response was, "If I don't take the vacation time, I'll wind up loosing it, it's mine and I earned it". My response was, "Is loosing the vacation time more important than possibly loosing your job?" There was silence on the end of the line.....

Mark, please don't take offense dude but Verizon is huge and you're a pimple on their azz. If they want to make cuts they can/will cut people no matter what. Matter of fact, I just read they will be making a bunch of cuts to the wire-line side. I've seen it happen to people who otherwise felt they had a stable job were on the street.

These are tough times and I've batten down the hatches amost a year ago! In the last 6 months, instead of playing with the boat, I saved an additional 4 months of savings just in case chit happens.

boatme
07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Mark,

You are close to the age I was suspecting

Seems like that your generation, and even more with the latest new working generation, have the attitude “I do it, I get paid for it”

I have been on straight commission most of my life and I was always paid ONLY for what I brought to the party and often I did allot for no payback

I paid for ALL my own dinners and trips to try to get business, all done on my dime. If it was not successful I was out the cash no one else. Also no vacation pay, no sick time and no health care. (paid for it myself)

I have a hard time when people expect to be paid every time they do something on the clock (or off) It is why it is so hard to run a business. If your employer took away every minute you were not productive in a year I am sure it would add up to be a lot more than the freebees you could do for him

Not bashing you just stating how I see it.

Now is the time to be obvious for what you do extra!! Not to be obvious for what you don’t do! Trust me, doing extra stuff for your employer will not hurt your status. But demanding that you are so good that you must be paid for every move you make for them will surly make it obvious you are the one to broom.

Wait till you get broomed and the guy you say is waiting in the wings snaps you up and finds your attitude is less than helpful, you may need a third person waiting to scoop you up cause the second guy will not take as long to figure out you are only in it for yourself

I have a question for you
Do you have the cohunes to tell your boss you want to be paid on commission for your work ??? This could work out better or worse for you, but would you take the risk? No guarantees just hard work and some luck

Now that would get a bosses attention

Good luck, and again not bashing just my opinions

cigdaze
07-31-2009, 08:29 AM
It may be generational to some degree, but it's not universal. I'm 31, and I certainly don't share that lackadaisical attitude towards employment, there are still good young people out there with good work ethic and business sense. I work 10-12 hour days, sometimes 70-80 hours a week, and weekends when necessary. I've got 200+ miles this week on my personal truck retrieving parts from vendors so that we can get a jump on production, and I'm not submitting an expense form. I ask for nothing extra. As I see people getting laid off all around me, I can assure you it's not the guys who put in that little extra, it's the 8-5'ers who submit that 12 dollar expense form for their lunch.

boatme
07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Cig

I did not mean to lump everyone into one basket

Just taht the younger generation (NOt all) seem to have a much more "whats in it for me" attitude

Good to hear there are still some good ethics out there

My son is 26 and seems to have a good handle on things as well, putting in as many hours as he can and going the extra step to make emplyoyer feel he is valuble

Geronimo36
07-31-2009, 09:09 AM
The attitude must have been passed down from the Hippies!:lurk5:

PS, I'm 32. Gonna have to agree with Cig, not all but some.. I think that goes for just about every generation...each one before feeling they were better.. AS I get older I start saying silly things like that also.

DonziGirl
07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree that some people but not all have that attitude. I'm 28 and try to do anything reasonable asked of me. My boss treats me and the other employees great. But one other thing I've noticed is that employERS don't have the loyalty and dedication to employees that also used to be present. Perhaps that's why employEES have become less dedicated as well?

Geronimo36
07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
But one other thing I've noticed is that employERS don't have the loyalty and dedication to employees that also used to be present. Perhaps that's why employEES have become less dedicated as well?

That's true and very apparent in "corporate america", I see it every day.. For a growing majority it's all about numbers and the bottom line, not a family atmosphere. I don't see it as much in small companies but definitey in corporate. :(

The generations before us grew up with pensions and matching 401k's, it becomes less and less every day. Dual incomes are almost a necessity.:(

boatme
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree that some people but not all have that attitude. I'm 28 and try to do anything reasonable asked of me. My boss treats me and the other employees great. But one other thing I've noticed is that employERS don't have the loyalty and dedication to employees that also used to be present. Perhaps that's why employEES have become less dedicated as well?

Very true

My dad was a corporate guy for 48 years family and loyalty was apparent
now days anyone who thinks they are a lifer at there job better keep looking behind them

Things change and not all for the good. Time to get back to the one thing many have lost MORALS and VALUES It has become a ME ME ME world

Man i am starting to sound like my grandparents LOL

fund razor
07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Donzi, (and Tony too), Geronimo, and CigDaze are all examples of the younger generation who somehow did inheret the work ethic, leadership, maturity, overview and wisdom that is usually associated with much older people. I forget sometimes that they are more than a decade younger than me.

They should give us some hope.

Buoy
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Before me and the wife decided to make the move out here to AZ, I had a good stable job that I had been at for 6 years.
My first supervisor thought I was the greatest guy in the building. He got promoted, and moved on to a different location. I still talk to him every few weeks.
I now was reporting to his old boss. This guy also thought that I did an incredible job, and knew he could always count on me for anything that needed to be done. He was also promoted, and moved on to a new location.
They placed a new guy as my new direct report. Earlier on, me and this guy were both up for the same position (different than his new job), and he got the job. Well, now he didn't care for me, and saw me as competition.
The writing on the wall was clearly written that I was not going to have a job for long, or at least be made miserable in my job.
This was one of the reasons we decided it best to make the move and my wife take the promotion she was offered.
I had the choice to be unemployed in Kentucky, or unemployed in AZ.

I guess the point I'm making is, just because YOUR boss thinks you're great, what happens when someone else becomes your boss?

ChiefApache
07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Donzi, (and Tony too), Geronimo, and CigDaze are all examples of the younger generation who somehow did inheret the work ethic, leadership, maturity, overview and wisdom that is usually associated with much older people. I forget sometimes that they are more than a decade younger than me.

They should give us some hope.

Do you know Tony? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding. I agree. I am surprised at some of the ages of people on the board. They speak/present themselves as older, and I'm finding out they're younger. Like you Fund, I too am a decade (and a little more) older than they!

pullmytrigger
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I paid for ALL my own dinners and trips to try to get business, all done on my dime. If it was not successful I was out the cash no one else. Also no vacation pay, no sick time and no health care. (paid for it myself)

I have a hard time when people expect to be paid every time they do something on the clock (or off) It is why it is so hard to run a business. If your employer took away every minute you were not productive in a year I am sure it would add up to be a lot more than the freebees you could do for him

thats all and good but what was your income potential in that job?......its one thing to do as you did when your income pot is six figures but another thing entirely when your some travelling sales type making 50K.......like I posted earlier you cant generalize it depends on A LOT of factors.....:)

pullmytrigger
07-31-2009, 08:34 PM
I would still like to hear from the OP stating what was the guy who got taken away from his holiday was making a year......was he some labourer for a Landscaper making minimum wage or was he a corperate team leader making 150k?......he never said......it makes ALL the difference

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I have plenty of work ethic but that doesn't mean I have to work for free. I guess since I go that extra mile the 8 I am already there I don't have to give them the 9th hour on the house.

I'd love to do piece work or commission vs paid by the hour! I'm not sure how to do it because it is hard to pay for some thing perceived- like when you pick up your phone you have dial tone or you click on a webpage it comes up. You expect these things so really can't put a figure on it being up vs being out. I save my company billions upon billions in FCC fines yearly- I'll take .00001% commission on what I save them not having to pay those fines any day of the week. I'm one of three techs that have access to Andrews Air Force Base- I bet that contract alone is worth a few hundred million a year. I'd love to make a deal that my salary was $500K and they can deduct $10K per minute when they have an outage even after the $500K was gone (meaning I would owe them $10K per minute meaning if I had to work 24/7/365 to keep their network up then so be it). I'd retire in 5 years... My company has me at a bargain price IMHO- I'm worth 2X+ what they give me but it works well enough on both sides that I am still there..

Panther- Yes, Verizon is cutting 10-15% of the work force. Any one hired prior to 8/3/03 employees have employment protection- can't be laid off. Any one hired after that will be off payroll by 9/13/09.

We use to have "36 month term" employees- company would hire people for 36 months and then release them. Guess what- all projects would last 36 months because the company had to pay these people for 36 months regardless if the job they were hired to do was done in 24 months or now. Well the company and the union struck a deal that any one hired after 8/3/03 could be laid off at any time and they would get rid of the 36 month term title. They meant the company could hire more people which means more union dues coming in which is all the union cares about as well as get more work done sooner since they had more people to do the job and still be able to get rid of them when the job they were hired to do was over.

So the 15% hitting the road now were never really permanent to begin with. Most have made it 5-6 years vs the 36 months they would have. Doesn't make it any easier but the realistic ones knew when they were hired they would be around until FiOS was on it's feet (to some extent) and would be gone after that which is what is happening now.

Anyway- I'm a pee-on to my company- just a number like every one else working there. I just feel that if my number came up they would find a spot for me or their competitor would (in a heartbeat). If your not the best at what you do then you (not "you" but any one and in general) need to get to working to get there; I'm already there (and working harder to stay there every day) and that is why I'm so confident in my job keeping abilities which comes at a price and isn't free. I was in school on the clock on their dime 2 days this past week at University of Maryland learning some more stuff to stay at the top of my game. Think of it like Peter from Skater- if he closed his doors this week do you think there would be a line of people waiting to hire him or would he have to go around putting in applications? Ok that is a stretch but still- same point.

My turn for a question- why do any of you feel your skills are worth so little that you are willing to give them away for free?

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Who wants a $50/hour raise???

My boat detailer guy is in Florida. Could one of you come wash/wax it for $200? Since you are willing to work for free you should think of this as a $50/hour raise..

fund razor
08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
My turn for a question- why do any of you feel your skills are worth so little that you are willing to give them away for free?

Mark, no offense my man... but anybody who has ever been self-employed, a department head, or management would never ask that question. They know too much. ;)

Nobody here thinks that their skills "are worth so little."
Just because you don't understand why someone would go the extra mile, doesn't mean that they don't understand their value. (And the value of their actions over time.)
Especially on this board. ;)

fund razor
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Who wants a $50/hour raise???

My boat detailer guy is in Florida. Could one of you come wash/wax it for $200? Since you are willing to work for free you should think of this as a $50/hour raise..

Are you trying to alienate all of us, or just some? :(

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Are you trying to alienate all of us, or just some? :(

Sorry to offend but can you tell me why you would be offended? I don't understand why that would offend anyone?

Work= some thing I get paid to do
Play= some thing I have to work to be able to do

If I have to work on my play time why not just play all the time and not work? :driving:

fund razor
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry to offend but can you tell me why you would be offended? I don't understand why that would offend anyone?

Work= some thing I get paid to do
Play= some thing I have to work to be able to do

If I have to work on my play time why not just play all the time and not work? :driving:

I can't break down in a few posts what the union has built over many years. Have a good day Mark. :seeya:

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Mark, no offense my man... but anybody who has ever been self-employed, a department head, or management would never ask that question. They know too much. ;)

Really? Totally different worlds and responcibility levels between those jobs and an hourly employee in my opinion. Apples to oranges.

I go to work and do what they pay me to do- my job. If they need me to go above and beyond why shouldn't I want some thing extra for that?

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I can't break down in a few posts what the union has built over many years. Have a good day Mark. :seeya:

You have a great day as well.

I don't think this has any thing to do with unions. Back when I worked at Dominos Pizza if they wanted me to run another pie I would; but I wanted to stay on the clock while doing it, hopefully get a tip from the customer and then go on about my day or whatever.

I guess where I am lost at is why is it so bad to want to get paid for the work I do?

ChiefApache
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Really? Totally different worlds and responcibility levels between those jobs and an hourly employee in my opinion. Apples to oranges.

I go to work and do what they pay me to do- my job. If they need me to go above and beyond why shouldn't I want some thing extra for that?

At my place of employment, if you just do "your job", you will be doing it for years to come, so you better enjoy it. In order to advance, they want people who go above and beyond without being asked.....and without additional pay doing it.

Geronimo36
08-01-2009, 09:39 AM
If they need me to go above and beyond why shouldn't I want some thing extra for that?

It's all good Mark, I think we're just thinking in extremes in both directions.

I just like to think that one hand washes the other and it's not always about being paid for the amount of time you put in. If you're constantly going above and beyond I could see how one would want to be paid. Sometimes, even just a thank you is plenty.:)

Buoy
08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Lets take the word "paid" out of this, and change it to "compensated".
I've noticed in most cases if you consistently go above and beyond, you may not get "paid" as in money, but I've been compensated with some very nice trips to conventions, nice dinners, and have come up as the first choice, or recommendation for promotions, or special projects that got me more exposure within the company.

boatme
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
You have a great day as well.

I guess where I am lost at is why is it so bad to want to get paid for the work I do?

I guess where I am lost is why is is so bad to go the extra mile to help out

This "all about me" attitude will only help YOU and if that is what it is about ok then i get it you are self centered and self serving thatmakes sence to me.

Man I would never ask you to hand me a wrench, because there would be a bill attached to the handle for the effort

So if somone helps you up when you fall down should you pay them ???

Seems if it is any kind of effort you want to be paid! Man o man if this is not the UNION way of thinking i don't know what is

See where that attitude is getting the UAW today

I agree with CheifApache as well

boatme
08-01-2009, 11:06 AM
"compensated". Interesting word and most time appropriat but some times you just do stuff for free because it is the right thing to do

Buoy
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM
"compensated". Interesting word and most time appropriat but some times you just do stuff for free because it is the right thing to do

I'm 100% in agreement!
I don't do things in the expectation that I will receive any thing more.
But I have noticed that I also get preferential treatment when opportunities arise - but maybe that's just a coincidence:confused:

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
At my place of employment, if you just do "your job", you will be doing it for years to come, so you better enjoy it. In order to advance, they want people who go above and beyond without being asked.....and without additional pay doing it.

Bring up a good point. I always tell people there are 2 critical things in life:

1- get a good mattress. No place to skimp here
2- like your career

In theory you spend 8 hours a day in bed and 8 hours a day at work- so 2/3 of your life you are in bed so you better have a good mattress and better like your job.

Lets take the word "paid" out of this, and change it to "compensated".

Ok that's fair- I want to be compensated for the work I do. :biggrinjester:

It is all a matter of perspective and where one is at one the food chain and corporate culture- the kind of company you work for. Me- I just a clock puncher. I get a 3.5% raise next week but that is it- no trips to work harder for, no promotions to get, etc. I don't get any thing "extra" for working any thing "extra" except know I did a job well done.

Spin this around- I am giving 115% all day every day so I don't have any thing extra to give except more time giving 115% and if I need to give them more time I will (at my hourly rate til 9 hours overtime worked and then 2X my hourly rate). So all you that can go that extra mile aren't working hard enough from the get-go... LOL- them just jokes of course!

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Man I would never ask you to hand me a wrench, because there would be a bill attached to the handle for the effort

If I were a mechanic, and you were in my shop, and I working on your car/boat/cycle- WITHOUT A DOUBT THERE WOULD BE A BILL ATTACHED TO IT!!!

boatme
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
So what did you get the 3.5% raise for ? just being there? and doing your job ????

If you have always gave 115% then you are doing what you normaly do and are already compensated (starting to like this word) to that leval, and why should you get a raise for the same work you have been doing? You have not increased your effort to118.5 % SO WHY SHOULD YOU GET MORE MONEY WHEN YOU ARE JUST DOING THE SAME OLE THING ??

I spent 20 years selling to the auto industry and was inside all the big manufacturing plants. I saw this attitued every day and still dont understand this.

I would like to know what ever happened to peice work ?? You get paid for what you accomplish in any one day I think that is a great way to pay a Clock Puncher

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Now if I were on MY TIME and NOT WORKING than there would be a beer attached to the end of it.

boatme
08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Mark a serious question for you Are you a union stewart at your company ???

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Mark a serious question for you Are you a union stewart at your company ???

HELL NO!!!! I am in a union company but am an agency fee payer- I resigned from the union many years ago but Maryland is not a right to work state.

If it weren't for the union I would be EARNING 1.5 times what they pay me now.

Why not go get another job? Not many phone companies out there or I would. Private industry is not in my best interest- most in my area are government contractors and not secure/stable where as my employer is close to a monopoly (again).

I spent 20 years selling to the auto industry and was inside all the big manufacturing plants.

Did you make the same amount of money for 20 years? I got a 3.5% raise because I am 40% underpaid to start with- they are just trying to catch me up.

Buoy
08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
It is all a matter of perspective and where one is at one the food chain and corporate culture- the kind of company you work for. Me- I just a clock puncher. I get a 3.5% raise next week but that is it- no trips to work harder for, no promotions to get, etc. I don't get any thing "extra" for working any thing "extra" except know I did a job well done.

I started out as a clock puncher. Hell, I actually started out as a marginally better than min wage temp.
Got promoted to a bit more than a clock puncher, maybe another coincidence, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I wasn't looking for anything more for every little thing I did - except for opportunity.
Before you knew it, I was dealing with the Directors and VP's.

I guess if you're happy right where you are, and never expect to move up that's fine.
But I guarantee that the guys that are buying new MTI's didn't have that same attitude.

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I think you have the very false impression that because I'm a clock puncher I go sit in the break room all day?

Ok how about this one-

Pretend I am a car salesman. Dealership closes at 8PM. I had to stay at work til 10PM to make the sale. Is that going above and beyond or just doing my job?

I look at is as just doing my job, am not paid by the hour but paid to sell cars which I just did so in the end I was just doing my job- not going above and beyond. They hired me to sell cars and I sold one.

Now if I were paid $10/hour to sell cars I'd still be there until 10PM but I would want $20 extra in my paycheck for doing so. Still sold a car, still doing my job, still not going above and beyond- but I'd want $20 extra in my check since that is how I am compensated for the work I do.

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I guess if you're happy right where you are, and never expect to move up that's fine.

"Moving up" in my world would mean working 65 hours a week vs 40 hours a week for about $160 more a week.

Now as a clock puncher if I worked that extra 25 hours I'm looking at over $1600 extra that week. That extra 0 sure looks better as a clock puncher doesn't it?

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
ps- this is all in good conversation as I'm sure you hopefully all know.

Obviously if we are on a boating site whatever we have been doing and are doing is working for our situation and I wish you all continued success.

Heck- I want all ya bastages to make MTI money but I'm going to need a ride since clock punching is not going to get me there.

Buoy
08-01-2009, 11:51 AM
ps- this is all in good conversation as I'm sure you hopefully all know.

Absolutely. It's just discussion, and sharing viewpoints. Nothing hostile.

MarylandMark
08-01-2009, 12:16 PM
You know I am cool when I can quote myself.. :ack2::ack2:

Pretend I am a car salesman. Dealership closes at 8PM. I had to stay at work til 10PM to make the sale. Is that going above and beyond or just doing my job?

To clarify my viewpoint- I am not saying that one should only stay til 8PM because that is "what their job is". That is not what their job is. Their job is to sell cars and has nothing to do with the hours of the dealership. If they don't stay until 10PM they didn't sell that car which means they are not doing their job. Fire that lazy no car selling SOB!

So I guess it really is a matter of perspective of what going above and beyond is vs just doing your job? For me- selling that car was just doing my job; not doing my job above and beyond because it was after the dealership was normally open.

boatme
08-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Did you make the same amount of money for 20 years? I got a 3.5% raise because I am 40% underpaid to start with- they are just trying to catch me up.

Nope some months i made better some much worse remeber i was on commision only paid if i sold

boatme
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I think you have the very false impression that because I'm a clock puncher I go sit in the break room all day?

Ok how about this one-

I look at is as just doing my job, am not paid by the hour but paid to sell cars which I just did so in the end I was just doing my job- not going above and beyond. They hired me to sell cars and I sold one.

Now if I were paid $10/hour to sell cars I'd still be there until 10PM but I would want $20 extra in my paycheck for doing so. Still sold a car, still doing my job, still not going above and beyond- but I'd want $20 extra in my check since that is how I am compensated for the work I do.

Many Many years ago i WAS a carsales man and i stayed late many many times to make a deal work only to have it fall apart in financing the next day and i got NUTHING because the car deal fell through