PDA

View Full Version : Moon landing 40 years ago today....

C_Spray
07-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Reading the "Guess where we are" thread reminded me. :sifone:

Looking back, it's amazing what got done with the technology and "can do" attitude of the day. Nowadays, some group would make sure it didn't happen because someone might get a stubbed toe or offend some obscure portion of the population. :willy_nilly:

Here's to all the heroes of the Space Program - past, present and future. You guys make all of us look punk. :USA:

Bobcat
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I remember as a kid looking at the moon and trying to see the astronauts!:)

glassdave
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfmWgglkGHQ

:D (love that clip, always makes me laugh)

It is incredible that we've gone from first flight by the wright brothers to landing on the moon in such a short time. several years ago i heard something to the affect that all the computers contained in mission control for the first moon landing can be equaled by a single average laptop today. Amazing

Marginmn
07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Here's a live realtime re-broadcast of the audio of the mission. I'ts been running non-stop from the launch last Friday. They are only about 90 minutes from landing.

http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/

Wobble
07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
When I was a kid on the farm my dad would put the tv away in April and not get it back out till the fall as there was always so much work to be done, cant say I missed it at the time.

One of the few exceptions was the trip to the moon and the landing, I got to watch tv during the summer, the whole family and and some neighbours sat glued to the tv for hours.

What an incredible time

cigdaze
07-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Good stuff. I'm really enjoying all the coverage on the space program this week. There was a great show on last night on the discovery channel I think.

I think I need to rent The Right Stuff and watch that again. It's been too long.

:cool:

Knot 4 Me
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Takes elephant balls to sit on top of a Saturn 5 rocket. I remember watching this stuff on TV as a 5 and 6 year old kid. Apollo 13 is one of my all time favorite movies. Love this stuff.

cuda
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Good stuff. I'm really enjoying all the coverage on the space program this week. There was a great show on last night on the discovery channel I think.

I think I need to rent The Right Stuff and watch that again. It's been too long.

:cool:

It was on tv last night.

cuda
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
When I was a kid, nobody believe man would walk on the moon.

When I was 14, I took a picture of the tv when man first stepped on the moon. I still have it.

Whenever I work in Cocoa Beach, I stay at the motel that says "Home of the original astronats".

TexasChopper
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Buzz Aldrin punch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

cuda
07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Buzz was on American Movie Classis as a host today.

MacGyver
07-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Buzz Aldrin punch....

Sweet. Too bad buzz didn't KO that dude.

MacGyver
07-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Still amazes me that was 40 years ago. Today, a Shuttle launch is almost routine and only get's a few seconds of new coverage.

I wish I could have watched the moon landing on live TV, but I was only 2 years old :03:

DonMan
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
One of my favorite memories as a kid was on the night of the moon landing, my parents took all of the kids outside and we all just stared at the moon -- as if we could actually see the astronauts. I was only 4, but definately remember it quite well.

Indy
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
For the fans of that time period I recommend the book "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins. It's a first person look at the early days (as pilots) through the moon landing. VERY worthwhile reading. It was recommended to me by a guide at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum who was relating some incredible stories about the space program during the tour.

cuda
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
For the fans of that time period I recommend the book "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins. It's a first person look at the early days (as pilots) through the moon landing. VERY worthwhile reading. It was recommended to me by a guide at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum who was relating some incredible stories about the space program during the tour.

Press On by Chuck Yeager is a good book too.

LaughingCat
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Buzz Aldrin punch....

I love how that jack-off filed a lawsuit. Judge threw it out and said the guy should be ashamed for how he acted. That's America for you. The law isn't always in black and white. That's why we have judges.

mosi
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I bet those boys were a crazy bunch to run with!!!

I was 18 years old and in Ohio we could drink beer legally. That day is one of the few days I did not go out drinking and one of the few things I can remember that year!! ;)

JJ Apache
07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I watched the special. Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies too. How can this kind of brilliance exist?? Its amazing!..I'm blissfully ignorant...:)