PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb drive question

macjazzy
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Here is my dumb question,

What is the benefit to ITS drives? I understand it stands for Integrated transom system? Or something close to that. I know they have built in hydraulic steering rams. Is there any other benefit? Is a boat with ITS drives faster than the same boat with regular XR's ? Is it just to clean up the transom, ie cleaner look? Are they stronger than a standard Bravo XR ?

Just curious...... Thanks.

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
The ITS has some set back in it. Like a small extension box. It is clean looking with the steering. It allows the drive to be set higher and often helps carry the boat better. The drive is essentially the same the gimble ring is different. I suppose it is stronger than the regular.

PARADOX
07-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I had both in the same type of hull. Bravos and now with the ITS. I love the ITS system. the steering is great and the set back does get you a mile or two +

macjazzy
07-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Paradox, So there there is a noticable difference in steering "feel" with the ITS system? And it is slightly faster. Interesting.

So if for example someone was ordering a boat and they had the option of ITS, or extension boxes for about the same price. The extension boxes may be a little faster than the ITS, but the ITS is faster than standard bravo's and would have better steering "feel" ?

MattBMiller
07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
The ITS setup makes for a super clean transom. I believe it's a 7" set-back where most extension boxes are a 12" setback. Like Jim said, it allows you to set your X Dim higher and get the prop back in cleaner water.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you set the X higher during build/hole in transom? Or is the ITS leg shorter so it automatically is higher to compensate for an existing X being the same?

Chris
07-18-2009, 11:05 AM
You have to raise the drive with setback. Typical on the ITS is 3/4". The old yardstick used to be 1" per foot of extension.

MattBMiller
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Do you set the X higher during build/hole in transom? Or is the ITS leg shorter so it automatically is higher to compensate for an existing X being the same?

The ITS setup can be had with a standard XR lower of a Shorty Sportmaster lower. Either 1 or 2" shorter. Typically the hole is cut higher though on a new build.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
The ITS setup can be had with a standard XR lower of a Shorty Sportmaster lower. Either 1 or 2" shorter. Typically the hole is cut higher though on a new build.

So, if I took the Empress, took off the Bravo whivh is set very low, (same as Alphs setup), added an ITS transom setup (? bolt on?) then a 2" shorter leg, I should pick up like 10mph......

PARADOX
07-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I doubt you pick up 10. But my "new" avanti "X" dim. and cut out is typ for standard bravos. With the ITS. I can run the SM shorties. One of the other good thing about the ITS, that it has TWO pistons for steering on each drive. Most external steering has one on each (few has twins) Also I got the steering pumps hooked in serries. (or parallel, not sure) but if one motor fails, or steering, I still got power steering from the other.