PDA

View Full Version : documentation

Otis311
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I need info on how to document a boat thru the coast guard. I dont want to use a Doc. company unless im forced to do so

I went to the CG website and didnt see anything about it...HELP !!

Geronimo36
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Gotta look a little deeper, I think what you need is here... http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcforms.asp

Dranks 'N Skanks
07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Call Sharon Chadwick in FL. She is quick.

OldSchool
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
What's wrong Otis, those Texas #'s aren't working anymore???:rofl::driving:

Tank
07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Call Sharon Chadwick in FL. She is quick.

That's who we use....The bomb! And sends you a reminder every year too. It's your responsiblity to keep up with it, unlike registration renewal. It's nice to get the reminder every year from them.

Geronimo36
07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
It's nice to get the reminder every year from them.

What, the reminder the USCG mails with the renewal form isn't enough? :):rofl:

Jus kiddin!:seeya:

Otis311
07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
What's wrong Otis, those Texas #'s aren't working anymore???:rofl::driving:

changes....changes my friend, thats all Im going to say

Offshoredrillin
07-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I used Atlantic boat documentation here in Annapolis, they were very quick and thorough.

Otis311
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I dont think you need to use a company... I dont see any reson for using them and paying all that money when you can fill out the form and get it into the CG and have them handle it...Am I thinking wrong here.... Is there a hitch that would make me use a Doc company ??

07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I dont think you need to use a company... I dont see any reson for using them and paying all that money when you can fill out the form and get it into the CG and have them handle it...Am I thinking wrong here.... Is there a hitch that would make me use a Doc company ??

Aren't we talking 30-50 bucks? It is only for the first one, after that it becomes for all intents and purposes, automatic. Your time is worth something, right? :sifone:

Chris
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Since you already own the boat it shouldn't be an issue. I'd use an agent on a new purchase simply for the E&O insurance coverage in the event of an error in the title search.

Ratickle
07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Since you already own the boat it shouldn't be an issue. I'd use an agent on a new purchase simply for the E&O insurance coverage in the event of an error in the title search.

Fill us in Chris, I have a documented vessel to change over now.

Otis311
07-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Its not the Gladiator

Otis311
07-17-2009, 11:45 PM
That's who we use....The bomb! And sends you a reminder every year too. It's your responsiblity to keep up with it, unlike registration renewal. It's nice to get the reminder every year from them.

got a number ?

glh
07-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Its not the GladiatorI don't think the pontoon boat is big enough for a CG registration... :D

Otis311
07-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't think the pontoon boat is big enough for a CG registration... :D

Are you sure ??

I lost the pontoon in the big D

:03::03:

OldSchool
07-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Congrats!! When are you coming down? :cheers2:

Chris
07-18-2009, 08:45 AM
A CG documentation is like buying a house. They do a "title search" so to speak. If you buy a boat and accept the paperwork the seller is giving you, and someone later comes up with paperwork proving precedence, you're out- completely. It's their boat. The doc company does the search and (if you check in advance) if they are correctly insured and screw up, you're covered under their Errors & Omissions insurance.

Finance companies like USCG documentation because it's fairly bulletproof. As we all know, there are a couple of states that you can walk in with a cocktail napking receipt and leave with a title. Then you can transfer the boat into a different state and now you have free & clear paperwork- but a still-encumbered boat. Now you can sell the bank's liened security and split with the cash. Obviously illegal, but since when does that matter to some? Trouble is, the guy that bought the boat is out the cash.

You can switch from a doc boat to a titled boat legitimately, but I'm not sure how. Financing companies typically insist that you use an agent to transfer documentation.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks,

So if you are buying a documented vessel, have an INSURED title company do all the due diligence for you, and tthen have the same company do the transfer because if they screwed it up, it's their dime and you're insured with no loss.

Chris
07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes- virtually the same as with a real estate transaction. But the real estate people are so smart, they figured out a way to get the customer to grossly overpay for it outside of the scope of the service.

Any time I do anything with any professional (attorney, accountant, insurance agent, etc) I ask for an E&O certificate. That's the equivalent of asking a subcontractor for an insurance certificate. I wouldn't do business with an uninsured physical services provider. Nothing different here.

Fever Mike
07-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Excellent explaination, Chris!

Otis311
07-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats!! When are you coming down? :cheers2:

Im headed down your way in a few hours...Ill call you

BRAD SCHOENWALD
07-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Bob,

You can to it yourself it is cheap and easy. Two reason to use a doc company. Your scared, or the BANK/Finance company makes you... it is an add on to the deal.

Call me

Otis311
07-19-2009, 07:11 PM
thanks Brad. thats what I thoght..... Ill give you a ring tomorrow

Tank
07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
What, the reminder the USCG mails with the renewal form isn't enough? :):rofl:

Jus kiddin!:seeya:

I've NEVER recieved a reminder from the USCG.....:confused:

BRAD SCHOENWALD
07-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Tank

You need to check the address they have on record for you. The renewal form comes you sign and return. The only time they charge is if you renew late otherwise this costs you a postage stamp.

Geronimo36
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM

Tank

You need to check the address they have on record for you. The renewal form comes you sign and return. The only time they charge is if you renew late otherwise this costs you a postage stamp.

Tank is right. Every year I get a letter from the USCG for the renewal. The letter is basically a re-statement of the Vessel details and they ask to verify it's correct and if there are any changes to my address etc. The form is signed and returned. Shortly after returning the signed form, my documentation certificate comes in the mail.

C_Spray
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Yep. One of those rare instances where "Your tax dollars at work" really gets simple and efficient results.

I documented my boat myself, but it was simple since I was the first owner and had both a clear title and the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. I can imagine boats that have been through a number of owners could be a bit trickier.

Tank
07-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Tank

Right on Brad....I'll look into it. Thanks for the help.

By the way, the whole "coast guard cirt" does still mean the coast gaurd can commission your boat during times of war right?

Strip down the cig, throw some 50 cals on there and defend the coast!?:ack2: