PDA

View Full Version : Tax Hikes to Pay For Obama's Health Care Plan

clayinaustin
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
We knew it was coming. :mad:

House Democrats detail surtaxes to pay for healthcare bill (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2009/07/house-democrats-today-unveiled-their-massive-health-care-reform-proposal-and-detailed-how-they-would-pay-for-it-included-i.html)

Nothing in the the bill to lower the cost of health care. Just taxes to pay for it! :(

The proposal calls for a 1% surtax on modified adjusted gross income between $350,000 and $500,000; a 1.5% surtax on income between $500,000 and $1 million; and a 5.4% surtax on income exceeding $1 million.

The bill also includes a provision to raise the 1% surtax to 2%, and the 1.5% rate to 3%, in 2013 unless savings from federal healthcare reforms reaches preset levels. But if the savings exceeds certain targets the bill provides for a rollback of the tax increases.

The centerpiece of the healthcare proposal, of course, is insurance coverage for Americans who don’t have it. All Americans would be expected to have some form of coverage. If you opt out, you'd pay a penalty tax of 2.5% of adjusted gross income above a specified level.

clayinaustin
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
This new bill is great for those who don't pay incomes taxes. You know, people like half of Congress and everyone in Obama's cabinet! :mad:

Dude! Sweet!
07-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Torches and pitchforks boys...

03darkshadow
07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
democrats are so stupid.
It's good that they're making people get heath care because they'll treat themselves at a local doctor, not wait until it gets bad and go to the ER. However, I dont like the idea of them getting health care because I found a job and they: a) couldn't, b) dont want to, because, why would you if someone else will pay for you.

the other side is, give people gov't help for a few months if they can prove they were actively looking for jobs.

ThrottleUp Props
07-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Sub Contracting will be the new name of the game. Unfortunately, we will see an increase in subbing production overseas .

Julie

MarylandMark
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Sounds like the above sucks pretty bad...

But... to throw a twist on it. The uncovered it seems go to the ER for every thing. By law the ER has to treat them. So in the end- won't them going to the Dr be cheaper than the ER for every thing?

I don't know and looking to be enlightened?

Disclaimer: I have 100% free health care thru my company thru the rest of my life. Yes- being a union company that could change but most likely not. They tiered our contract so those hired prior to 2003 have free health care the rest of their lives; those hired after pay a portion now and when they retire. So anyway- us "freebies" are the majority so odds are we will never vote for us to pay; just the newbies pay more.

Anyway- I feel like that is part of my compensation package so it is earned; not free but still.

Wrinkleface
07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
:(

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
:(

Send a note to Obama that unless they include Dental, (and eye for Dr Pete), you can in no way support him and neither will any of the other dentists......:sifone:

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
The most interesting part when reading the entire thing, you cannot choose to not have health care without paying a penalty. Isn't that a mandated tax anyway you look at it?????

clayinaustin
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I wish the Congress would pass a bill limiting the liability a doctor/hospital/health care person has. This would lower insurance payouts which would lower insurance costs which would lower health care costs.

However, you will never get a Congressman (who is an unemployed lawyer) to limit the amount of money a lawyer can sue for.

It just makes me so mad! :mad:

Wrinkleface
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
The most interesting part when reading the entire thing, you cannot choose to not have health care without paying a penalty. Isn't that a mandated tax anyway you look at it?????

Ironic thing is next month I have an appt. w/ my gastroenterologist 4 a colonoscopy!! Can we say, taken it up the:moon:

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Ironic thing is next month I have an appt. w/ my gastroenterologist 4 a colonoscopy!! Can we say, taken it up the:moon:

Get used to it. Obama wants it all and he'll be comin without vasoline........:ack2:

Wrinkleface
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Get used to it. Obama wants it all and he'll be comin without vasoline........:ack2:

at least I get sedated!!!!:sifone:

fund razor
07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Disclaimer: I have 100% free health care thru my company thru the rest of my life. Yes- being a union company that could change but most likely not. They tiered our contract so those hired prior to 2003 have free health care the rest of their lives; those hired after pay a portion now and when they retire. So anyway- us "freebies" are the majority so odds are we will never vote for us to pay; just the newbies pay more.

Anyway- I feel like that is part of my compensation package so it is earned; not free but still.

The fine UAW retirees at GM had a "lock." ;)

Hope that the whole union guarantee thing works out for you.

sledge
07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Guerilla warfare boys and girls....that's what it's going to take to keep this from passing in its current form. BO wants it, the Dems want it, they have the majority. They need to be confronted face to face, signs, loudspeakers, at the airports.

Somebody educate me: what is Medicare and Medicaid? One is for retirees/disabled, run byy the Feds? The other is generic state run programs, for anyone that "qualifies?"

Instead of "universal" healthcare, how about a catastrophic backstop program like FEMA/national flood ins? I know, I know, the gov't is horrible at these things but at least it minimizes the damage. I have to bet the costs would be less than $1+ TRILLION over 10 years...

JupiterSunsation
07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Wonder how many ball players from last night realize the chosen one is going to take more of their money in upcoming years.............

Wrinkleface
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Zactly, I have learned 2 Never, say Never!!:USA:

sledge
07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Are your Rep and Senator in support of this crap? Have you called and told them how mad you are? We need to hear media reports of Senators and Reps offices being overrun with calls, letters, faxes opposing this plan.

We need a friendly printer (Russ are u reading this? :D) to print 10s of thousands of post cards and send them to DC. Not on his dime of course, but "our" elected officals need to be shown how ignorant they are.

OldSchool
07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Dat's right. Nobody is safe from these Martha Fockers. They'll be "estimating" what your benefits are worth and taxing your azz. Bet on it.

:cuss::icon_bs::cuss::willy_nilly:

cigdaze
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Yep. All I can say is we knew it was coming. Take from me, give to the bums.
Tax & spend. Thanks Dems.

07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Send a note to Obama that unless they include Dental, (and eye for Dr Pete), you can in no way support him and neither will any of the other dentists......:sifone:

I for one don't want to have the Government dictating which services are provided (which is exactly what they will do).

Also, in a prior life, I worked in a clinic that was 100% state welfare paid treatment. 80% of the patients were ingrates, demanding their entitlement & owning 0% of the responsibility of their own health. :cuss:

Common to see generations of the same family, all on the taxpayers payroll. If they don't know how to work the system, their social worker will train them.

I could live with the poor pay, dealing with the bloodsuckers all day long, no way. :(

03darkshadow
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
just saw a commercial about the "democratic" party.

said if you like the way congress handled the bailout, housing bubble, freddie may(mac) then you'll really like what they do with your healthcare... :ack2:

07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I wish the Congress would pass a bill limiting the liability a doctor/hospital/health care person has. This would lower insurance payouts which would lower insurance costs which would lower health care costs.

However, you will never get a Congressman (who is an unemployed lawyer) to limit the amount of money a lawyer can sue for.

And the floodgates will be opened. Here in Washington, almost no field of law is as lucrative as suing the government. Payouts are huge, they mount a **** poor defense and they never file the appeal on time. :cuss:

MarylandMark
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Me 2!

Verizon provides health insurance for 835,000 employees, retirees and family members at a cost approaching $4 billion a year.

Ours is fully funded as well; no waivers needed here. As well as we don't have much competition, still growing and making money and all those other things that GM wasn't. We get dental too.

Time will tell, if not I'll be leaching off the system.. :willy_nilly:

Anyway- back to health care. What about my thoughts on it is cheaper for us to fit the bill for people going to the Doctor vs what we are already paying for BS ER visits?

MarylandMark
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I posted this the other day- needs to be seen again

07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
We knew it was coming. :mad:

Nothing in the the bill to lower the cost of health care. Just taxes to pay for it! :(

The proposal calls for a 1% surtax on modified adjusted gross income between $350,000 and $500,000; a 1.5% surtax on income between $500,000 and $1 million; and a 5.4% surtax on income exceeding $1 million.

The bill also includes a provision to raise the 1% surtax to 2%, and the 1.5% rate to 3%, in 2013 unless savings from federal healthcare reforms reaches preset levels. But if the savings exceeds certain targets the bill provides for a rollback of the tax increases.

The centerpiece of the healthcare proposal, of course, is insurance coverage for Americans who don’t have it. All Americans would be expected to have some form of coverage. If you opt out, you'd pay a penalty tax of 2.5% of adjusted gross income above a specified level.

I bet it turns into a 15-20% payroll tax on all income tax payers (43% pay no taxes) in a real hurry as the masses clamor for the "FREE" health care. :cuss:

MERPerformance
07-16-2009, 08:30 AM
I ask one of my customers about this bill, he's a doctor internal medicine. He dosen't watch the news it's depressing. H e has 2 offices and 5 other doctors, wait until he has a zhar sitting in there over seeing which patients he can see and what the fees will be allowed to be charged. Just another tax to pay for all this bailout spenging and BIG GOV. they wanted. Hope all of the supporters out of work are happy now.

Ratickle
07-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I ask one of my customers about this bill, he's a doctor internal medicine. He dosen't watch the news it's depressing. H e has 2 offices and 5 other doctors, wait until he has a zhar sitting in there over seeing which patients he can see and what the fees will be allowed to be charged. Just another tax to pay for all this bailout spenging and BIG GOV. they wanted. Hope all of the supporters out of work are happy now.

15.2% unemployment announced yesterday in Michigan. 21.7% if figured the way they did it in the Great Depression per the NY Times yesterday.

Playn
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Obama is the worst president ever for trying to turn the US into a third world nation. The current congress is the worst ever for following in goose step to this idiots music.

Magic Medicine
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Health care is something that is earned and a right for everyone!

Magic Medicine
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Wonder how many ball players from last night realize the chosen one is going to take more of their money in upcoming years.............

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jup they aren't that smart, they just glad they got a bro in the house!