PDA

View Full Version : yes or no

straightpriority
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
if you blew a piston in the bilge would u make an insurance claim?

cigdaze
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
In the bilge or through the bilge?

Generally speaking, no I would not call insurance. At this point, I'd be afraid of never getting boat insurance again or getting bent over for the rest of my boating years. It would have to be a pretty major claim (fire/sinking/theft) for me to call insurance. Mechanical failure doesn't fit the bill in my mind for insurance claims. Just my $0.02

MarylandMark
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Can you?

jhenrie
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
If lets say you hit a sand bar or submerged object that clogged your water intake and or strainers so as to make your engine overheat that bad that a rod let go it may be covered. Maintenence or lack of i'm sure is not.

glassdave
07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
several years ago i hit a submerged object with my Scorpion. Busted the prop off at the seal, twisted the upper shaft and also floated a valve and crashed a piston (it was before i was a professional throttle man :D) in the process wiping out the entire stbd drive line. I chose to bite the bullet and pay for it out of pocket. My biggest fear was having my rates go up, I have never made any claim of any kind anywhere although i have been told one claim will not do it. Still didnt want it on my record and just figured it'd be cheaper in the long run to just pay for it. Honestly if you need insurance money to stay in the water you need a different hobby.

Chris
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
It all depends on how legitimate the claim is- or appears. If you take it to a long-time, well-known and reputable dealer and they work with you on it, you might get a clean shot on something like bad gas. If the insurer and adjustor know and trust the dealer, I doubt you'd be black-marked. On the other hand, if it looke dquestionable and the insurer pays it simply because they know they're going to pay it eventually anyway, then maybe.

You don't say what engine it is or who's insuring it. If it was a $15k engine, a couple-year rate bump might not be all that bad. And it's rarely "just a piston".