PDA

View Full Version : HUGE thanks to Sean Stinson and the Geico team!

Lubejobs42
06-17-2009, 11:16 PM
I again want to thank these guys for going to rescue the Mercedes boat from Bimini. We broke a fitting and had to leave the boat there during the Bimini race. I had no idea how much was involved towing the boat out once it reaches land. They went over 6 am Sunday morning and got back 5:15 Sunday night.

That was one long ride at 9 mph! I can't thank you guys enough!

It's incredible how many people there are that are willing to help.

Big Time
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
As they say, "Pay it forward"

From some of the stories you have it sounds like it was your time to be on the receiving end of the good charity. Glad you made it back safe.

Ratickle
06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
ANd all of us would like to thank Gino for helping to keep Sean out of trouble by finding something constructive for him to do.......:sifone:

How's the boat Gino?

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Gino

It was my pleasure....if you need anything in the future pleasse feel free to call!!!!

Paul look let me tell you about a 9 hour ride with nothing to do.....I have come up with every possible solution to save the world, save the whales, end world hunger, and save the red light districts of the world.....you name it and I thought about it that day!!!!

Quick story.....out in the middle of the gulf stream you have no cell service, PERIOD! So at one point about 40 miles off the coast, Bruce and Greg of Geico and myself decided to part company for awhile so they could do what they had to, to get Scotty and Marc ready for the race. As they left I said throw me that fishing rod....So picture this I am idling along standing on the back of the boat fishing and I think to myself what in the the he!! an I going to do if I catch a fish no gaff, no net and really don't want a fish in Gino's boat to begin with.....so then I said to myself watch me catch a phucking marlin and it will pull me off the back of the boat and I will be swimming after the boat to catch it....not a good idea so that was the end of fishing for the day!!! The rest of you can picture that sight or visual in your head as you finish the rest of your work days!!!!

The Illustrious One

Ratickle
06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't think Gino would mind fish guts and scales all over the interior of the Mercedes boat.....:ack2:

It would fit in with some of his other stories.

Maybe we should make it up..........:sifone:

phragle
06-18-2009, 10:24 AM
worse yet, you forget about the fish, a week later Gino goes "whats that smell?"

mikey
06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Here are some pics from that day thanks to Bruce

glh
06-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Sean's the man....

Did he do your laundry also I hear he quite adept at that also?

Perlmudder
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
did you just attach a really long rope and go? i towed a friend about 10 miles one time and it was mega boring! good to see people helping each other out! you guys rock!

Ratickle
06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
so then I said to myself watch me catch a phucking marlin and it will pull me off the back of the boat and I will be swimming after the boat to catch it....not a good idea so that was the end of fishing for the day!!!

:rofl: :willy_nilly: :rofl:

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
did you just attach a really long rope and go? i towed a friend about 10 miles one time and it was mega boring! good to see people helping each other out! you guys rock!

Well we started to but the rope was to short and I started the wakeboard boogie so that was the end of that ordeal!!!!

mikey
06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Mr. Stinson will you teach me how to drive a crash box boat please.....I understand you are the man at such things.....

Ms PatriYacht
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I am trying to figure this out, did you all go down there in one boat, and then you get towed back. Or did you idle back on one engine. When Bruce and Greg left did they head back home at speed and leave you on the MTI. What boat did you head over there in, and how many miles was the trip. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to piece it all together

Scotty B
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
They all went across to Bimini in the safety boat. Bruce and Sean jumped off the safety boat making sure they did not touch land, untied the mercedes, started the one motor and idled out the cut. They hooked up to safety boat and started out towing back, but found out they could make better headway on one motor in the mercedes boat because it was a little bumpy and it was pulling the safety boat all over the place. The Mercedes boat ran until it was out of gas and was towed the rest of the way by the safety boat

Hammer01
06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
They all went across to Bimini in the safety boat. Bruce and Sean jumped off the safety boat making sure they did not touch land, untied the mercedes, started the one motor and idled out the cut. They hooked up to safety boat and started out towing back, but found out they could make better headway on one motor in the mercedes boat because it was a little bumpy and it was pulling the safety boat all over the place. The Mercedes boat ran until it was out of gas and was towed the rest of the way by the safety boat

Glad to hear all turned out well. Some are forgetting how lucky it was for you guys that the seas were forgiving that day. Boy, that could have been one miserable trip in 5-8's. Congrats and as stated, way to help a brother out, we know Gino has definitely done the same!!!

dykstra
06-18-2009, 03:19 PM
wow

Scotty B
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Being the good guy Gino is, he generously tipped my guys for there trouble

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I am trying to figure this out, did you all go down there in one boat, and then you get towed back. Or did you idle back on one engine. When Bruce and Greg left did they head back home at speed and leave you on the MTI. What boat did you head over there in, and how many miles was the trip. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to piece it all together

We went over on the GEICO safety boat and left Bimini together tried the tow rope thing didn't work.....So we idled along to gether for awhile and I told them to go back and take care of their race duties and they left me idling along at about the 40 mile mark and told them to return after the race they went back and got into cell coverage and talked with ScottyB and they all made the call they didn't want me out there alone on one motor so they came back and I had made it 10 miles to about the 30 mile mark and at the 10 mile mark I ran out of gas and had to be towed the rest of the way in.......10 miles took 2.5 hours what a drag to watch the coastline grow bigger a fraction of an inch every ten minutes!!! :sifone::sifone::sifone:

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Glad to hear all turned out well. Some are forgetting how lucky it was for you guys that the seas were forgiving that day. Boy, that could have been one miserable trip in 5-8's. Congrats and as stated, way to help a brother out, we know Gino has definitely done the same!!!

We would have never done it in seas like that we were just fortunate that they didn't kick up out there that day!!!!

Jigsaw89
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
With the ocean being as docile as a bathtub, would it have been possible to fuel up a bit in Bimini and remove the prop on the non-working motor/outdrive and make the trip back on one engine at low speed/on-plane??

Lubejobs42
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
We would have never done it in seas like that we were just fortunate that they didn't kick up out there that day!!!!

Yes you would, it would have just cost me more $$$$

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes you would, it would have just cost me more $$$$

Well since you put it that way maybe I could have been persuaded!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone:

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
With the ocean being as docile as a bathtub, would it have been possible to fuel up a bit in Bimini and remove the prop on the non-working motor/outdrive and make the trip back on one engine at low speed/on-plane??

Bro we tried every possible scenario the best and safest was the idling one!!!!

Sean Stinson
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Mr. Stinson will you teach me how to drive a crash box boat please.....I understand you are the man at such things.....

I don't know how I missed this one bro..... Yes I would be more than happy to teach you how to drive a crash box boat buddy!!!!:26::26::26::sifone::sifone::sifone:

mikey
06-19-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't know how I missed this one bro..... Yes I would be more than happy to teach you how to drive a crash box boat buddy!!!!:26::26::26::sifone::sifone::sifone:

Thanks man it really means a lot to me to have a guy like you on my side.....:26:

Ms PatriYacht
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
OK I get it now, thanks for the clarification. I know how long and boring the one engine idle can be. Hope you did not get to sunburned:blush5:

Ratickle
06-19-2009, 09:35 AM
OK I get it now, thanks for the clarification. I know how long and boring the one engine idle can be. Hope you did not get to sunburned:blush5:

Doesn't matter, he's already old and wrinkley!!!!!:)

BraceYourself
06-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Geico rocks...

Glad that is behind you Gino...

BraceYourself
06-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Being the good guy Gino is, he generously tipped my guys for there trouble

So in this league, what is a generous tip these days :)

waterboy222
06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Did it need new sparkplugs after that long idle back? lol
I cant see Sterlings being much of an engine set up for trolling speeds hour upon hour.

MarylandMark
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
So in this league, what is a generous tip these days :)

18 foot Donzi's :sifone: