PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Cig Rollover in Texas

catastrophe
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
This is results of unfortunate event earlier in Texas poker run.

BEFORE

catastrophe
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
After

Scarab KV
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Damn, that's a shame

Knot 4 Me
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Hard to look at. Just glad all were OK.

catastrophe
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
More

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 09:20 AM
when did this happen?

catastrophe
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
when did this happen?

2-3 weeks ago?
Was posted on here

Was making tight turn with 6 on

Just got pics this am to share.

Sean Stinson
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
You know this bottom is easily upset at speed if not trimmed right!!!! I have a spin and a crash to my name in this bottom, although I was racing and pushing way past that edge, the normal boater isn't aware of how the hydrodynamics work on this bottom!!!! I really think that something needs to be done as a core group before we have bigger problems down the road!!!! I understand Tres has the school but not everyone takes that course and even after that until a person has been put in different situations sometimes they dont know how to respond!!! IMHO of course

Quinlan
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Tab position doesnt look good.

Big Time
06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
You know this bottom is easily upset at speed if not trimmed right!!!! I have a spin and a crash to my name in this bottom, although I was racing and pushing way past that edge, the normal boater isn't aware of how the hydrodynamics work on this bottom!!!! I really think that something needs to be done as a core group before we have bigger problems down the road!!!! I understand Tres has the school but not everyone takes that course and even after that until a person has been put in different situations sometimes they dont know how to respond!!! IMHO of course

Some boat builder's offer the Tres class when you purchase a new boat (at least they used to). Maybe Cigarrette should do the same to help curb this issue. Of course this does nothing for when a used hull is purchased, but ti might be a start. It's an advanced hull for an advanced driver.

I understand speed was an issue, but was there also a mechanical issue to blame....pics look like the drives/tabs did not stay intact, but that damage could have been during/after the roll.

Knot 4 Me
06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd say tabs and drives ended up like that due to the accident and recovery.

Scarab KV
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Sean is absolutely right and his opinion is always good with me. As well as I think I know my boat, I've never run that bottom before and would need to learn all over again. Not everyone is willing to acknowledge that during the transformation.

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM

I agree with Sean! As they say in racing, you've been over or you're going over, otherwise you're not pushing hard enough. :lurk5:

The classes are great and definitely necessary but they are desined to prevent accidents. Put a person in an actual situation where the boat is about to become unsettled and see how they react. Only a simulator can do that safely so if/when that happens only experience counts and all the studying/teaching in the world wont help it. :(

In my world we have the same problem with all these Masters/Phd's folks. :seeya:

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd say tabs and drives ended up like that due to the accident and recovery.

Somthing to keep in mind. When boats go down they get immersed with water while the power is still on... Strange things happen with trim pumps, switches etc. when submersed.

Scarab KV
06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
somthing to keep in mind. When boats go down they get immersed with water while the power is still on... Strange things happen with trim pumps, switches etc. When submersed.

+1

BraceYourself
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Now you're on to something. Simulators would be awesome. I'd pay huge bucks to learn the limits of my hull in various conditions. Also would be cool to roll a million dollar cig and just hit reset to put it all back together.

As of now I will continue not to turn my cig with much speed.

cigdaze
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow. That's ugly; what a sad shame. Thanks for the pics.

Knot 4 Me
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Somthing to keep in mind. When boats go down they get immersed with water while the power is still on... Strange things happen with trim pumps, switches etc. when submersed.That's my point. Should have said accident or recovery.

Chris
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
It's not the speed. Stepped boats pitched the occupants and sometimes continued on operator-less and they've barrel-rolled at under 40 mph. Like the one in Europe that looped around and ended up on the rocks. Or the one on Barnegat a couple summers ago- guy was going slow and just heeled around on plane. Had parents/grandparents out for a slow cruise on the bay. Everyone got tossed.

If you're with someone that can show you the edge and what it feels like, you can learn to keep yourself out of trouble. These boats don't "just hook". You can feel the bottom and the steps releasing. You can develop a feel for what you're boat will do and then know in advance. But there's no such thing at "correct settings" That's very much affected by how you're changing the boat's weight and balance. You take on 250 gallons of fuel and 3 more passengers, you just added 2,000 lbs of weight and moved the boats center of gravity. That's going to affect how the bottom holds the water.

Now, under race conditions in sloppy water and high speed, that's a different story. You can hook a straigh-bottomed boat with enough effort and the wrong settings.

In the end, a step boat just can't be oerated like a straight-bottomed boat. And the animal in there waiting to jump out and bite you hard is the event that happens in an instant. Running in close proximity to hazards or not knowing the water- that jetski that darts between the two anchored boats you're passing, or that shoal that you didn't know about and just caught sight of... those scenarios really don't give you time to make proper adjustments and apply steering techniques. Those are jerk-the-wheel events. And the only way to make sure you don't end up in a catastrophe is to avoid the situation. Step boats aren't a free lunch. That extra speed comes with a price- sometimes a big one.

PARADOX
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Here's is just my .02 in this topic.

I did some experimental testing and runs on a step bottom, back in the mid 90's. (7" + single step and Blackhawks)
I would put up a sticky or a general info note in the safety section for everyone to read.
" Even after any schooling/classes, the boat owner/driver should go out and experiment what the boat/hull and see what it does in different conditions. Getting used to the hull reaction in different speeds and sea conditions is pricless. Even with my "Old School" Avanti hull, I took a day of experimenting, slow turns, fast turns, going over mine and other boat's wake, smooth seas, chopy chit seas, untill I knew what I and the boat can handle and react before my first Poker Run. (in a wide open area, no boats, no group events)
Finding out durinig an even with many boats around is no place to find out that the hull gets loose with a nice turn while to much "air" is under the steps due to disturbed or already turbulent waters. Experiment, learn. There is no substitude for experience and knowing your boat/hull. Trim tab positions and what to do when there is a little "slide". A "panic" throttle down is not always the answer. "
It's like driving in snow. Each car is different in handlng and experience will get you out of trouble.
FYI.... for what it's worth.

GENERAL LEE
06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
It's not the speed. Stepped boats pitched the occupants and sometimes continued on operator-less and they've barrel-rolled at under 40 mph. Like the one in Europe that looped around and ended up on the rocks. Or the one on Barnegat a couple summers ago- guy was going slow and just heeled around on plane. Had parents/grandparents out for a slow cruise on the bay. Everyone got tossed.

If you're with someone that can show you the edge and what it feels like, you can learn to keep yourself out of trouble. These boats don't "just hook". You can feel the bottom and the steps releasing. You can develop a feel for what you're boat will do and then know in advance. But there's no such thing at "correct settings" That's very much affected by how you're changing the boat's weight and balance. You take on 250 gallons of fuel and 3 more passengers, you just added 2,000 lbs of weight and moved the boats center of gravity. That's going to affect how the bottom holds the water.

Now, under race conditions in sloppy water and high speed, that's a different story. You can hook a straigh-bottomed boat with enough effort and the wrong settings.

In the end, a step boat just can't be oerated like a straight-bottomed boat. And the animal in there waiting to jump out and bite you hard is the event that happens in an instant. Running in close proximity to hazards or not knowing the water- that jetski that darts between the two anchored boats you're passing, or that shoal that you didn't know about and just caught sight of... those scenarios really don't give you time to make proper adjustments and apply steering techniques. Those are jerk-the-wheel events. And the only way to make sure you don't end up in a catastrophe is to avoid the situation. Step boats aren't a free lunch. That extra speed comes with a price- sometimes a big one.

This should be the opening statement on the site when someone logs in. :sifone:

BraceYourself
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
It's like a comparisson between Ferrari and Lamborghini

Would you say one is more dangerous then the other. Ferrari is rear will drive and the Lamborghini is all wheel drive. Both cars can wreck but a Ferrari takes more skill then a Lamborghini.

A wreck results because of driver error... PERIOD

Not because the manufacture should of installed AWD and traction control to be as safe as the other on the road.

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Now you're on to something. Simulators would be awesome. I'd pay huge bucks to learn the limits of my hull in various conditions. Also would be cool to roll a million dollar cig and just hit reset to put it all back together.

No doubt, it would be really cool!

It was fresh on my mind cause one of my clients who I just did a project for does it for the military! http://www.raydon.com/commercial.html
http://www.raydon.com/about.html

txriverrat2001
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
So - I work on a couple of stepped hulls - been on a few rides as well - but have never been "taught" the correct way to trim drives/tabs on a stepped hul vs. a non-step'd hull. When it comes to haulin the mail I prefer a cat.

Can someone chime in and let it out to what the difference is?? In my old Executioner we always trimmed it in to make turns - is this not true with a stepped hull? And honestly I never turned the boat under full throttle or even close - I got pitched out of my old outboard drag when the steering failed - it sucked. When runnin round and round with a Mod VP hull that was different - it was a race. But just riding and doing Poker runs to me is different - with the risk - is it worth it?

Should everything be neutral?? Tabs - Drives

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM

If you turn a step boat with drives in/tabs down at speed it focuses the CG/pivot point forward to the step, lifts/airates the stern and around, or over you go.

Cats can have some odd operating characteristics as well. Air is being packed under it and they don't lean into a turn. A cat has to be settled before turning hard, so don't be fooled.

But, the cat will handle the speed in a turn much better IMHO.

my $.02...

Tommy Gun
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Drives and tabs should be neutral to up...the profile of a stepped hull boat means it is is much more shallow at the stern then at the midpoint; when you slow down, lower the tabs and or drives you are essentailly lifting the stern out of the water which (when basically riding on a cushion of air) will cause to boat loose its bite and pivot about the midpoint. There is of course much more to the dynamics; bottom line...take the Tres martin class where you will learn the dynamics and then be taught how to apply them.

txriverrat2001
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Drives and tabs should be neutral to up...the profile of a stepped hull boat means it is is much more shallow at the stern then at the midpoint; when you slow down, lower the tabs and or drives you are essentailly lifting the stern out of the water which (when basically riding on a cushion of air) will cause to boat loose its bite and pivot about the midpoint. There is of course much more to the dynamics; bottom line...take the Tres martin class where you will learn the dynamics and then be taught how to apply them.

I agree 100% about taking Tres' class - I was just curious what was considered "normal" operation in a stepped hull as one of my guys has a 38 Top Gun that I maintain and I don't ride much with him - but if and when I do I will take notice to where everything is when he's rollin up the river and driving like a mad man.....

And he thinks I'm nuts for wearing the lanyard..... but he's never been pitched ......... yet.

Big Time
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
And he thinks I'm nuts for wearing the lanyard..... but he's never been pitched ......... yet.

That just makes you smarter then him...hopefully one day he doesn't have to learn the hard way.

PARADOX
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
So - I work on a couple of stepped hulls - been on a few rides as well - but have never been "taught" the correct way to trim drives/tabs on a stepped hul vs. a non-step'd hull. When it comes to haulin the mail I prefer a cat.

Can someone chime in and let it out to what the difference is?? In my old Executioner we always trimmed it in to make turns - is this not true with a stepped hull? And honestly I never turned the boat under full throttle or even close - I got pitched out of my old outboard drag when the steering failed - it sucked. When runnin round and round with a Mod VP hull that was different - it was a race. But just riding and doing Poker runs to me is different - with the risk - is it worth it?

Don't take this a is a "course" but in a stepped hull, you need to get the stern down in turns. In short. Trim nutral or up a bit, throttle down BEFORE the turn, then have power in to the turn keeping the stearn and props "in" or down. Learn where is the "pivot" point in the hull. Somewhat like accelerating in a rear wheel drive car in a turn, keeping traction on the "drive axles"
C'mon everyone.. oppinions,, all this could only help.

Chris
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
It's like a comparisson between Ferrari and Lamborghini

Would you say one is more dangerous then the other. Ferrari is rear will drive and the Lamborghini is all wheel drive. Both cars can wreck but a Ferrari takes more skill then a Lamborghini.

A closer comparison would be that between a Corvette and an early Porsche 930 Turbo. The vette was somewhat neutral to understeering- like most sports performance cars. The Porsche was a$$ heavy and had twitchy power. It took just the wrong amount of pedal pressure in a turn to get into the boost and you were spinning like a top. When they first got here, a huge percentage of them were crashed backwards. Simply put, people got into them and assumed thy's drive like everything else they'd ever driven- which couldn't have been any further from reality.

amann388
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Simulators would be cool but they are not near the real thing or feeling. I have been an airline pilot for 8 years and the simulators we use are state of the art but they are NOT the same as real flying. They are as close as you can get to the real thing, its a computer and it can't feel the sensations you feel in the actual cockpit. Bottom line is that you couldn't feel if the boat would be slipping out from underneathe you or have the same forces against your body. Simulators have limits. Simulators are great for instrument flying NOT by feeling or seeing. Example: If i am in a 45degree turn in the simulator the only way i would know is by looking at the instruments, there is no way to know if I went by feel.
But hey it would be cool to have a boat simultor!!

Jassman
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM

I had a very rare single step TG in 00..I sold it after the second time of spinning out at 45..and 50mph in a not so tight turning radius..dont know if its the same bottom with another step added. Thanks Jeff

BraceYourself
06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Simulators would be cool but they are not near the real thing or feeling. I have been an airline pilot for 8 years and the simulators we use are state of the art but they are NOT the same as real flying. They are as close as you can get to the real thing, its a computer and it can't feel the sensations you feel in the actual cockpit. Bottom line is that you couldn't feel if the boat would be slipping out from underneathe you or have the same forces against your body. Simulators have limits. Simulators are great for instrument flying NOT by feeling or seeing. Example: If i am in a 45degree turn in the simulator the only way i would know is by looking at the instruments, there is no way to know if I went by feel.
But hey it would be cool to have a boat simultor!!

That's why they design a seat/dash just like my 46, throttles/steering wheel exact, and with a wind screen. Then have a fan to simulate how air feels at different speeds. Put huge screen in front with video. Allow the seat/dash to girate and lean. Then go through different situations. Every new owner gets simulator time free. Cig owners that buy used cigs get a discount.

Maybe even have water fly in your face for stuffing or rain conditions. Audio of engines. Audio of hot chicks screamining faster faster into your ear... etc.... Get the idea.

TrippM
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
A closer comparison would be that between a Corvette and an early Porsche 930 Turbo. The vette was somewhat neutral to understeering- like most sports performance cars. The Porsche was a$$ heavy and had twitchy power. It took just the wrong amount of pedal pressure in a turn to get into the boost and you were spinning like a top. When they first got here, a huge percentage of them were crashed backwards. Simply put, people got into them and assumed thy's drive like everything else they'd ever driven- which couldn't have been any further from reality.

Not to put too fine a point on the Porsche issue or hijack the thread. The early 930's were as you say rear heavy and twitchy. Many spun simply because the drivers backed off the gas when they reached the limit, a normal reaction in a traditional front engined car but disaster in a rear engined machine of the day. Happily this charactaristic has been worked out of the evolutions of the 911 series.

amann388
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
That's why they design a seat/dash just like my 46, throttles/steering wheel exact, and with a wind screen. Then have a fan to simulate how air feels at different speeds. Put huge screen in front with video. Allow the seat/dash to girate and lean. Then go through different situations. Every new owner gets simulator time free. Cig owners that buy used cigs get a discount.

Maybe even water flys in your face for stuffing or rain conditions. Audio of engines. Audio of hot chicks screamining faster faster into your ear... etc.... Get the idea.

Yes i love the idea,,,,Hot screming girls i love:sifone:

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Maybe even have water fly in your face for stuffing or rain conditions. Audio of engines. Audio of hot chicks screamining faster faster into your ear... etc.... Get the idea.

Now that would be cool! If anyone has been to MGM or Disney and rode on the Simpsons and Soarin rides, they know sensations can be simulated! :)

Happily this charactaristic has been worked out of the evolutions of the 911 series.

And the DOT, TSB, JD Power, Independent Organizations, and a host of other entities had a lot to say about it....:ack2:

Bottom line, they solved the problem. They did't tell the owners to take a driving course or "that's just the nature of the car" (insert step bottom). :lurk5:

LaughingCat
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Does the TRES course also do Cats, or just Vs?

Chris
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
For the simulator to be truly realistic, there would have to be a gas pump that required half a grand before the sim started, you'd have to wash it for 4 hours before using, it would break 10 minutes into the session and have to be towed somewhere and you'd have to spend that second half a grand on having a $20 part installed on a Saturday.

Shallow Minded
06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
For the simulator to be truly realistic, there would have to be a gas pump that required half a grand before the sim started, you'd have to wash it for 4 hours before using, it would break 10 minutes into the session and have to be towed somewhere and you'd have to spend that second half a grand on having a $20 part installed on a Saturday.

That's some funny chit! Unfortunately, pretty accurate, though... :sifone:

gerritm
06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Does the TRES course also do Cats, or just Vs?

Tres does cats and v's. I took his high performance v-class last year and it was an eye opener. I have run boats of various hull designs for 25 years. Well worth the money and time. The best part was when he showed how a stepped hull, my 42 Fountain EX, stern begins to slide just before you get out of control. Very cool feeling and just like sliding on ice. Never believed a boat would do that. One of the signs he taught us to recognize before we got into trouble. To go into a roughly 50 plus mph full turn, my boat's tabs and drives were equal at 3-4. Don't touch the throttle or tabs. He had us turning at high speeds, under complete control and recognizing what we were feeling under the hull.

Coolerman
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I hope every one is okay after that accident!

As far as the bottom goes, I don't think the spinouts have as much to do with the steps as they do with the large turned-down chines in the last section of the boat (specifically this 39TG twin step). Big turned-down chines can make a boat unfriendly in quick manuevers. The turned-down chines are faster, but they can be a handful to drive.

Geronimo36
06-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Hey, It might actually come out cheaper in the long run! At least the screming girls are programmed into the CPU unlike some of the other "paid" talent we see around! :rofl::rofl:

ufix1
06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Fakkin ****!!

jhenrie
06-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Here are the guys that can do it ! You supply the video and they will make the motion code and they have the seating !!! Watched a movie of a rollercoaster sitting in one og these theatre seats , AWESOME !!!

http://www.d-box.com/en.htm

And there are a couple flight sims that are compatible for the pilot out there !!

Now that would be cool! If anyone has been to MGM or Disney and rode on the Simpsons and Soarin rides, they know sensations can be simulated! :)

And the DOT, TSB, JD Power, Independent Organizations, and a host of other entities had a lot to say about it....:ack2:

Bottom line, they solved the problem. They did't tell the owners to take a driving course or "that's just the nature of the car" (insert step bottom). :lurk5:

JupiterSunsation
06-12-2009, 10:08 PM

the other thing on early 911's (trailing throttle oversteer I believe is the term) is braking hard in a corner is a no-no, hard throttle will get you out of a jam better than hard brakes.

JupiterSunsation
06-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Not to put too fine a point on the Porsche issue or hijack the thread. The early 930's were as you say rear heavy and twitchy. Many spun simply because the drivers backed off the gas. Happily this charactaristic has been worked out of the evolutions of the 911 series.

Not really. Jeremy from Top Gear crashed a GT3 on the show after explaining that they were twitchy back in the day.

about 50 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpcVMBqzCs

phragle
06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
the other thing on early 911's (trailing throttle oversteer I believe is the term) is braking hard in a corner is a no-no, hard throttle will get you out of a jam better than hard brakes.

Ever driven an offroad car with decent power??, the steering whell intiates the turn, the gas peddle does the rest.

06-13-2009, 12:43 AM
I hope every one is okay after that accident!

As far as the bottom goes, I don't think the spinouts have as much to do with the steps as they do with the large turned-down chines in the last section of the boat (specifically this 39TG twin step). Big turned-down chines can make a boat unfriendly in quick manuevers. The turned-down chines are faster, but they can be a handful to drive.

I would have thought the reverse chine would grab in a slide if it was too much in the aerated water aka; "marbles".:confused:

Coolerman
06-13-2009, 02:27 AM
I would have thought the reverse chine would grab in a slide if it was too much in the aerated water aka; "marbles".:confused:

the the turned-down chine enages much more water in a turn (greater angle of attack) creating a lot more lift. EX- doing a left turn, the port chine grabs/enages a bunch of water creating lift on that side (port) of the boat and sends that side (port) of the boat high, and then you end up dumping over......

A wider, but flatter chine will create a good amount of lift in a straight line, but will be more forgiving in a turn as the angle of attack of the chine is much much less drastic than one that is turned-down

Also, some Donzi's I've seen have turned-down chines. Just had a 43' Donzi here in MN hook and eject all of its occupants a few weeks ago.

I will agree that the aerated water from a stepped hull will be more likely to spinout than a non stepped hull, but I think in the case of the Cigs it has more to do with the turned-down chines.

TrippM
06-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Not really. Jeremy from Top Gear crashed a GT3 on the show after explaining that they were twitchy back in the day.

about 50 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpcVMBqzCs

Yes, I believe everyone agrees they were twitchy. My point was backing off caused a great deal of the crashes.

ProMod
06-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, I believe everyone agrees they were twitchy. My point was backing off caused a great deal of the crashes.

I never owned an older 911 but on both my mid engine cars F-512TR as well as my SV rear wheel drive Lamborghini Diablo you have to stay on gas as well as brakes through turns or its spin city when the chassis un loads.

The same is true with certain step hulls even at 40 mph as it is not always the case and I am not an expert.
However many of us get in trouble when we pull back on the throttles while turning.
Tres Martin put us on the edge at speed in his stepped Gladiator and stressed the importance of powering through the turns and having the proper trim settings.
Hope every one is ok, to much of this lately!

Steve Miklos
06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Not to put too fine a point on the Porsche issue or hijack the thread. The early 930's were as you say rear heavy and twitchy. Many spun simply because the drivers backed off the gas when they reached the limit, a normal reaction in a traditional front engined car but disaster in a rear engined machine of the day. Happily this charactaristic has been worked out of the evolutions of the 911 series.

Yep!, I have an older RUFcar never let off. My 550 I can do most anything and it seems to come out of the other side of the corner.
Steve

Steve Miklos
06-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Has anyone here ever had a trim pump stick? I certainly have. The switch or solenoid can stick. They are not aerospace grade stuff by any means. I do not know if anyone has looked at it but to me this and the 36 Skater that wrecked both could have had a trim pump stick.
Steve

ProMod
06-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Has anyone here ever had a trim pump stick? I certainly have. The switch or solenoid can stick. They are not aerospace grade stuff by any means. I do not know if anyone has looked at it but to me this and the 36 Skater that wrecked both could have had a trim pump stick.
Steve

Greg showed us his faulty trim switch that caused Aquamania to almost flip over going into turn 1 at the 08 worlds,very close call.
A bad switch or pump can turn our rigs into a mis guided missile in the right circumstances!

MattBMiller
06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
That's a shame

Steve Miklos
06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Greg showed us his faulty trim switch that caused Aquamania to almost flip over going into turn 1 at the 08 worlds,very close call.
A bad switch or pump can turn our rigs into a mis guided missile in the right circumstances!

It does happen and these units are not high technology or quality. The cig and the skater both have a drive trimmed way out. From what I read the Skater operator had skills. I am not sure on the owner of this boat but I find it hard to believe he had trimmed like that on purpose.
Steve