PDA

View Full Version : STERNPower Speedy Anybody know them?

tommymonza
06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Its on a boat i was looking at .I was wondering if they worth a chit and if they where worth anything for resale or if parts are available ?

txriverrat2001
06-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Google'd it - appears they were out of Bellingham Washington - but no more that I can tell......

old377guy
06-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I rememeber going to the Seattle boat show a few years ago and some local repair yard had a display. The guy at the booth mentioned having some old SternPowr and Volvo parts around. Sorry I don't know more, you may have to do some yellow page online researching. BTW, when I raced boats up in Seattle 25-30 years ago, some of the guys had SternPowr drives and I think that they were ok. Best of luck - Jeff

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I have worked on a few boats with them. I was not impressed by them. They are so many boats with better drive choices available. If you like the boat I would assume you will be replacing the drive in the near future when you negotiate the price.

tommymonza
06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
What is the downfall of the drive. The gimbal assembly looks a little weak to me .

BUIZILLA
06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
where's the rest of the skeg?

RebarBox
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I had them on my old Cig. Maryville Marine in Marysville, Mich, carried parts. Pretty simple drives - no real problems to speak of. Finding props is a REAL issue unless you choose to have them made. You will have to glass the hole if you convert to bravos. The only value is as an anchor.

RebarBox
06-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Pic

nocigarette
06-08-2009, 06:04 AM
If i am not mistaken you can convert the upper to a #2 speedmaster or trs cant remember.....There is a guy with a 20 foot cig by me that has one...He is putting over 650 hp through his and he has had zero problems with it......Like mobilmercman said depends on the price negotiations.....Good luck if the price is right the drive would not scare me ( besides being fugly )

i found a pic

CRT
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Had them on a sonic 4 boats ago. Never had any problems with them. Only had 500 Horse on each side. I believe they were the MX-7. I had to get a boot once. No problem. They are simple. As for resale. I wouldnt' buy unless you are getting a hell of a deal, because nobody used them. I also don't know if parts are available anymore. As for props, they were non existant 8 years ago, so I would imagine it is close to impossible. Good luck, just my 2 cents

baronmarine
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
hi tommy

looks like you may be changing your mind ? that was a cool boat. and big time loud. if you pick it up i may have some fresh trs's complete for sale in the fall.

todd

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
If i am not mistaken you can convert the upper to a #2 speedmaster or trs cant remember.....There is a guy with a 20 foot cig by me that has one...He is putting over 650 hp through his and he has had zero problems with it......Like mobilmercman said depends on the price negotiations.....Good luck if the price is right the drive would not scare me ( besides being fugly )

i found a pic

The #2 SSM uses a TRS upper. The lower is deeper and requires a different x than a TRS. I recall it is about 2 inches deeper. You can see the pic you shared the transom assembly is up to the rub rail.

tommymonza
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Just trying to see if there is any value to the outdrive.The motor is half apart and i give no value to it also.

The boat is an old 26 Monza. It hasn't been in the water for 20 years but it has been kept dry. Its still pretty rough though.The owner and i are on opposite ends of the field on price.

I like it because its old and rare. Not looking to go over 70.Would like to go twin smallblocks if i do it.

nocigarette
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Cool old boat....I love to see the oldies brought back to life......Looks like mc numbers in michigan i presume.....

Dude! Sweet!
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Ironman Chris has one on his 28 Pantera as well. I think he lost the entire summer last year waiting for parts.