PDA

View Full Version : Please support me in the Leukemia Poker Run!

Sammyb713
06-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Hello Everyone!!

I need everyone to help a fellow Power Boater out..

I am running in the Leukemia Poker Run in Maryland on June 26th-28th. All the money donated goes towards a great cause and a great foundation! My goal is to rase $1000.00! I think with the help from all of you great people, my friends, and my family, I should be able to reach that goal!! Lets see how great this boating community really is..$5, $10, $20...anything you can!

Every little bit helps!!

A little about my team:

1993 35SS Sonic
Twin 509's
Driver/Throttle/Owner : Samantha Bongiorno
Crew: ALL GIRL CREW!! NOW YA HAVE TO SUPPORT US!!
For anymore info, please visit CBPBA.com! Also if your in the area you should definetly sign up and do the run!

Please Visit the below website to make a donation! Help me out!!

http://mdc.powerboat.llsevent.org/pledge/index.cfm?mid=SBONGIORNO

catastrophe
06-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't use online money transfers.

Post name of charity and address to send cheque and count on $ 200.00 next day.

Have fun and be safe.

Kudos to you for raising money for such a cause.

Sammyb713
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Have fun and be safe.

Wow!! Thank you!!

According to the CBPBA.com

All checks for the donations are made out to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

In the "memo" just put my name SAMANTHA BONGIORNO

You can send the check to me and then we turn the checks in on the day of registration at the Poker Run.

Per Mark Willis, the head guy directing the Poker Run, this is his suggestion:

I would prefer that they mailed the checks to you or gave them to you directly. This way we can track accurately how much fund raising you have. If the check is sent to the HQ office and your friends do not mention your name in the memo you will not receive credit for the donations.

My address is
Samantha Bongiorno
8 Mariners Walk Way
Middle River, MD 21220

Thank you!! I am amazaed and thankful to be apart of such a great boating community!

catastrophe
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
230.00 Canadian in mail now.

Have fun.

fund razor
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Tax Deductions:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society will most likely acknowledge donors using the address on your check. The acknowledgement that they send may be used to substantiate the gift for IRS purposes, and in most cases, this would be a tax deductible gift.
The key is that the check was written to the non-profit.

Good luck Sammy!

Ted
06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice, thanks Alex for supporting a great cause. I wasn't going to the well on this one since everyone was so generous on the Polar Bear thing. We host the first and longest running Leukemia Poker Run in the country. We have a great time and this year looks like a good run with some new stops. All the info is on www.cbpba.com so if someone would like to join us the first round of drinks is on me after we stop for the day. If you need any info, feel free to PM or email me.

Ted
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
And I will make sure to get pics of the all girl crew :D :D

Sammyb713
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice, thanks Alex for supporting a great cause. I wasn't going to the well on this one since everyone was so generous on the Polar Bear thing. We host the first and longest running Leukemia Poker Run in the country. We have a great time and this year looks like a good run with some new stops. All the info is on www.cbpba.com so if someone would like to join us the first round of drinks is on me after we stop for the day. If you need any info, feel free to PM or email me.

Is there anyway we can make this thread a "STICKY THREAD" that way we can get more participants and donors! It would be great to get some out of state SERIOUS powerboaters to enjoy this run with us...

Serioulsly, everyone in the Mid Atlantic area should try to do this Poker Run, its for a great cause, and you get to enjoy the great Chesapeake Bay!

catastrophe
06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey

Didn't know you were involved.

Just doubled it

OldSchool
06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Is there anyway we can make this thread a "STICKY THREAD" that way we can get more participants and donors! It would be great to get some out of state SERIOUS powerboaters to enjoy this run with us...

Serioulsly, everyone in the Mid Atlantic area should try to do this Poker Run, its for a great cause, and you get to enjoy the great Chesapeake Bay!

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, there are about 20 other CBPBA members that are members here who are doing the run and also trying to raise money for this great cause. With a little effort, you can keep it at the top until your fingers get tired!! Good luck with your fundraising!

Craig

Ted
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Alec, you are too kind!

GENERAL LEE
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello Everyone!!

I need everyone to help a fellow Power Boater out..

I am running in the Leukemia Poker Run in Maryland on June 26th-28th. All the money donated goes towards a great cause and a great foundation! My goal is to rase $1000.00! I think with the help from all of you great people, my friends, and my family, I should be able to reach that goal!! Lets see how great this boating community really is..$5, $10, $20...anything you can!

Every little bit helps!!

A little about my team:

1993 35SS Sonic
Twin 509's
Driver/Throttle/Owner : Samantha Bongiorno
Crew: ALL GIRL CREW!! NOW YA HAVE TO SUPPORT US!!
For anymore info, please visit CBPBA.com! Also if your in the area you should definetly sign up and do the run!

Please Visit the below website to make a donation! Help me out!!

http://mdc.powerboat.llsevent.org/pledge/index.cfm?mid=SBONGIORNO

Wait, are you trying to raise this money to cover the entry fee of your team, which yeah, "goes to the charity....", but you'd be essentially running the run for free?

catastrophe
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, there are about 20 other CBPBA members that are members here who are doing the run and also trying to raise money for this great cause. With a little effort, you can keep it at the top until your fingers get tired!! Good luck with your fundraising!

Craig

Geez!!!

How many of the team are in on this??
Ripped up the other 2 cheques.

1000.00 Canadian in the mail.

All of you come back in one piece.

ENJOY

Sammyb713
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Wait, are you trying to raise this money to cover the entry fee of your team, which yeah, "goes to the charity....", but you'd be essentially running the run for free?

No I have already paid my entry fee! All this money goes towards the charity! My ENTRY FEE HAS BEEN PAID IN ADVANCE I AM NOT RUNNING FOR FREE!!

My only request is that we raise alot of money..I could care less about the ENTRY FEE!! This is for people who are sick..and need this money to be donated..On top of the entry fee, I also donated EXTRA money.

Lets keep the negativity to a minimum and FOCUS ON THE CHARITY AND THE DONATIONS!!

Keep them coming people!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DONATES!!

Sammyb713
06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Geez!!!

How many of the team are in on this??
Ripped up the other 2 cheques.

1000.00 Canadian in the mail.

All of you come back in one piece.

ENJOY

I can not THANK YOU enough!!!

ToddLahey
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
This is the first I have heard of this Poker Run and I would like to say thanks to all the organizers, supporters and participants!!!

I am a Leukemia survivor and without all the research and funding that has been do by things like this I would not be here today!!!

For those of you that remember my Cigarette Bullet that was raffled off on OSO before I had my bone marrow transplant I am doing great!
It will be three years as of July 1st and I am just about back to work full time. The battle that I have had with the new marrow fighting my body seems to be coming to an end!:biggrinjester:

Ted
06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Todd, so great to hear you are up and around after your bout with Leukemia! We have been doing this for quite a few years and have raised some pretty serious cash for the cause. It is always great to hear success stories like yours. It was a heady time back on OSO when we did that raflle and I know it made everyone associated with it proud and happy to be able to help out one of our own.

scottc
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Along with many others in the CBPBA, I am also doing this fund raiser. Here is the info for my donation page http://mdc.powerboat.llsevent.org/schurch
You all know this event's purpose so I won't bore you with the details. Any amount over $10.00 is welcome. And yes, If I get enough donations ($500) I get my entrance fee refunded, but that's not why I'm doing this. I have lost a few friends to this nasty disease and want to help others maybe live a little longer.
So thanks if you can help and will keep all posted that help me out.

fund razor
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
When I worked in the children's hospital, I met way too many kids with Leukemia and Lymphoma.
Lost my grandma to Leukemia back in 1985.

Thanks to all of the serious members who are doing this.
Good luck.

catastrophe
06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
This is the first I have heard of this Poker Run and I would like to say thanks to all the organizers, supporters and participants!!!

I am a Leukemia survivor and without all the research and funding that has been do by things like this I would not be here today!!!

For those of you that remember my Cigarette Bullet that was raffled off on OSO before I had my bone marrow transplant I am doing great!
It will be three years as of July 1st and I am just about back to work full time. The battle that I have had with the new marrow fighting my body seems to be coming to an end!:biggrinjester:

How long did you have graft verses host disease and who did your transplant at what hospital?

ToddLahey
06-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I had my transplant at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (Fred Hutchison) in Seattle Wa. I was living in Sarasota FL at the time and my doctor there told me since my insurance said I could go practically any where that was the place I should go! I visited MD Anderson in Houston as well but made the decision to go to Seattle and I am glad I did. During the four months that I was there and each time I have been back I have been so impressed with the entire staff! I had a matched unrelated donor but I still developed what they have called a very serious case of acute GVHD and then chronic. The acute started about a two weeks after engraftment, I have had the chronic GVHD since everything from skin rash, joint stiffness, lung issues, etc. I have been trying to get off the drugs to suppress my immune system off and on for three years but it has kept flaring up I am currently on the lowest dose now that I have been on and knock on wood so far so good.

catastrophe
06-06-2009, 06:56 AM
GVHD is as terrible as the original disease.
Keep fighting..and good luck to you with all of that.

OldSchool
06-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Todd,
It's great to hear that you are doing well!!!!

Craig:)

Sammyb713
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Do we have anyone else that would like to donate??? Lets go people!!

Sammyb713
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Have fun and be safe.

All I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Just received your check in the mail today. I contacted Mark Willis to find out if I should give the check to him ths weekend or hold it until the day of the run..Either way, your check is in good hands and it will be put to good use!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Ms PatriYacht
06-12-2009, 12:05 AM
GVHD is as terrible as the original disease.
Keep fighting..and good luck to you with all of that.

Alex you are such a generous guy you should come down to Lake Erie
with Bob this summer. Do you have someone close to you with Leukemia

Sammy I am glad you are collecting money, it's a great cause. I have a few pet charities I am working on myself so I know how hard it can sometimes be. Also I wish I had the guts to run my own boat.

Todd it makes me happy every time you post. I read your Caringbridge web site and followed along each time your wife would make an entry. For those of you that have not read Todd's site, he went through a hell of a fight for a long time. The side effects he had from the host disease was awful, how you managed to stay so positive while experiencing all those painful sores and rashes is beyond me. All those trips back and forth to the hospital and tests, he went through 3 years of hell, plus he was a newlywed. When you hear someone gets a bone marrow transplant you don't realize what a battle they have ahead of themselves. One of Ian's closest friends passed away two years ago shortly after receiving his transplant so I know this is something not to take lightly. Todd if you ever feel up to it come to the Toledo area for one of the LEOPA runs, Brian the winner of your boat is often on our runs and you and your wife are welcome to ride with us on the Black Thunder which is not to rough of a ride. I know a lot of people would love to meet you.

Sammy I hope you post some pictures of your run

scottc
06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Congrats on your very large donation. I'm still trying to make my $1000.00 mark and you got it in one check. Great job for the Leukemia society and the good people on this site. If anyone stills want to jump on the help wagon, you have untill June 26, Noon.

scottc
06-12-2009, 07:29 AM
ttt

catastrophe
06-12-2009, 07:41 AM

Sammy I am glad you are collecting money, it's a great cause. I have a few pet charities I am working on myself so I know how hard it can sometimes be. Also I wish I had the guts to run my own boat.

Todd it makes me happy every time you post. I read your Caringbridge web site and followed along each time your wife would make an entry. For those of you that have not read Todd's site, he went through a hell of a fight for a long time. The side effects he had from the host disease was awful, how you managed to stay so positive while experiencing all those painful sores and rashes is beyond me. All those trips back and forth to the hospital and tests, he went through 3 years of hell, plus he was a newlywed. When you hear someone gets a bone marrow transplant you don't realize what a battle they have ahead of themselves. One of Ian's closest friends passed away two years ago shortly after receiving his transplant so I know this is something not to take lightly. Todd if you ever feel up to it come to the Toledo area for one of the LEOPA runs, Brian the winner of your boat is often on our runs and you and your wife are welcome to ride with us on the Black Thunder which is not to rough of a ride. I know a lot of people would love to meet you.

I have an 8 year old boy very close to me that went through 2 bone marrow transplants both here and in the USA.
Anoplastic large cell lymphoma.
With the skill of a great doctor in NY and the care from his mom his 4 year fight is over. He is 2 years clear. A success story !!!

I understand the funding problems that exist and the effects this terrble disease has on families, so on behalf of my little guy I try to help. Good luck with your event.

Spicy
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
This is great and Thank you for donating Alex...:26:

I have done this run for the last 7 years and look forward to another great time this year. Mark Willis who puts this event on and past President of the CBPBA has a bet with the Eastport Yacht Club Commodore, whomever raises less money has to take a plunge in the Annapolis Harbor, basically it's a battle between PowerBoaters Vs. SailerBoaters!!!!! any of you know that have ever been in Annapolis we have a rag boat problem in the Bay, there everywhere....

So with that said, we can't loose to a bunch of rag flappers!!!! :boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:

Spicy
06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Todd,
although we have never met I have followed your story on OSO, bought some raffle tickets for the Bullet and followed the post of your move to Seattle. I'm very glad to hear that you are doing better and your winning the fight!!!! With that said, If you would like to come out for this Poker Run your more then welcome to join me and my crew as our guest to support this great cause.... we would be honored to have you!!!

Thanks Patrick

I just started laughing as I was to hit the reply button, the night the Bullet auction took place, I had a party at my house for something, that was the night I found out you have to lock your computer at your own house???? Ted, Old School, Mikey to name a few made a few post under my screen name.....:rofl::sifone:
Good one guys!!!!

Ted
06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Todd,
although we have never met I have followed your story on OSO, bought some raffle tickets for the Bullet and followed the post of your move to Seattle. I'm very glad to hear that you are doing better and your winning the fight!!!! With that said, If you would like to come out for this Poker Run your more then welcome to join me and my crew as our guest to support this great cause.... we would be honored to have you!!!

Thanks Patrick

I just started laughing as I was to hit the reply button, the night the Bullet auction took place, I had a party at my house for something, that was the night I found out you have to lock your computer at your own house???? Ted, Old School, Mikey to name a few made a few post under my screen name.....:rofl::sifone:
Good one guys!!!!

Sure Pat, you go with that story, as I recall that was just a little drunk posting with the real Pat coming out :rofl:

Thanks to all that are supporting this great cause. I am running on my buddy's boat so I will make an effort to get some good pictures on this run. And Serious will be well represented.

Spicy
06-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Sure Pat, you go with that story, as I recall that was just a little drunk posting with the real Pat coming out :rofl:

Thanks to all that are supporting this great cause. I am running on my buddy's boat so I will make an effort to get some good pictures on this run. And Serious will be well represented.

My Therapist doesnt even know the real Pat??? :sifone::sifone:

We wil have the 400SS at the Docks for the dock party/sleeping arrangements, we will be doing the run on Brian's 38TS!!!!

Ted
06-12-2009, 08:42 AM
My Therapist doesnt even know the real Pat??? :sifone::sifone:

We wil have the 400SS at the Docks for the dock party/sleeping arrangements, we will be doing the run on Brian's 38TS!!!!

Please make sure the Super Spicy is well stocked with the Captain and a blue tarp you can throw over me to keep the morning dew off :sifone:

Spicy
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Please make sure the Super Spicy is well stocked with the Captain and a blue tarp you can throw over me to keep the morning dew off :sifone:

Well stocked is never an issue!!!!!:ack2:

Blue Tarp??? I will get a dark green one so you dont stand out so much for the morning walkers!!!:26:

Ted
06-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry for the hijack everyone, please get back to sending your money in for this great cause. If you would like to make a general donation please feel free to contact me, I will pass it directly through and not take any entry fee credit on it either, just like Sammy did.

Sammyb713
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM

I will post pics of the boat and some of the girls running with me..

I bought the Sonic when I was 21, ( 2 years ago ) Boat has twin 509's built by Jim Benning here in Maryland and maintained by CMS racing in Middle River..Boat runs great...I get a lot of looks and hand shakes when I pull up anywhere in the Bay..Something about a little blonde driving a 35ft Sonic really gets people going!! But I love it!! I grew up on Checkmates, Sonics and my dad has a Top Gun, so the man I marry better be able to keep up!!

I encourage every girl to drive a boat..its easy..John Wilmoth used to say "a good dock job is a dock job you walk away from!"

Thank you to everyone who donates!! It really is for a great cause!!

Andy
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi All,

On the weekend of June 26th - 28th, I'm participating in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Societies Poker Run in honor of more than 712,000 Americans who are battling blood cancers. Did you know that:
- Every five minutes, someone in this country is diagnosed with blood cancer. Every ten minutes, someone dies.
- Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young people under age 20.
- Lymphomas are the most common blood cancers.
- The myeloma survival rate is only 32 percent.

Please make a donation to support my participation in the Leukemia Cup Poker Run. By doing so, we’ll both be helping save lives. I hope you'll visit my Web site often to check in and see how my fundraising is going.

I'm trying to be the biggest fundraiser for this campaign, so please give big and give often.

FREE BEER AND BOAT RIDE TO THE TOP CONTRIBUTOR!

Click here:

http://mdc.powerboat.llsevent.org/pledge/index.cfm?mid=ALIVERMORE

Thanks for your support for this great cause!

Andy Livermore
President
Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association
www.cbpba.com

Ted
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I have merged all the Leukemia threads here, too many repetitive posts.

OldSchool
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I have merged all the Leukemia threads here, too many repetitive posts.

Thanks Ted!

Irishmist
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi all!!!

Thanks Sammy for taking the charge and Ted for filling in some of the blanks.

I started this event 11 years ago and I am the Chair of the 12th Annual Power Boat Poker Run.

This spun off of the Sailbote regatta that was started in Annapolis, Maryland by Gary Jobson. Gary is a world-class sailor and color (colour in Canada) commentator on ESPN for sailing. The regatta is in its 16 year. The sailbote community has raised 15 million nationally.

We have raised $500,000 in our 11 years and we hope to really bump this up this year.

The reason you see free registration is because, as the organizer, I need all of our participants to help fund raise. Our corporate sponsors this year have been limited to small business owners that are members of the CBPBA.

Where we are certainly thankful for their support, but we have lost over $25,000 in major corporate sponsorship per year over the past couple of years due to the economy and need to replace those dollars.

The CBPBA puts the FUN in fund raising. We are in a competition with the sailbote community to see who can do the most fund raising. We are currently 40 boats registered and they have 100 in their sailbote race. (Can someone explain that to me? Sailbote racing????)

PLEASE HELP US!!!

We have openings for additional boats, we have sponsorship levels open and most of all we have a great deal of fun while helping a worthy cause. 85% of every dollar raised goes to research and patient services.

We have lost several club members to Leukemia and Lymphoma. For all of those there are more success stories like Todd’s. We currently have members fighting Leukemia and Lymphoma. These personal battles are tough and scary. I know first hand the importance of having a supportive team going through it with you.

Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox.

Please join us. Got to www.cbpba.com for registration or sponsorship information.

Mark Willis
Chairman
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Power Boat Poker Run
:rant:

Lubejobs42
06-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Is there a PayPal address? I'm in.

OldSchool
06-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for posting Mark:)

...and welcome to Serious Offshore!!

Craig

OldSchool
06-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks Gino. I just sent you a private message. Give me a call if you need anything. It's a great cause!

Craig:)

Sammyb713
06-14-2009, 10:16 PM

Visit my website, ( listed in the first post )

Or send check made out to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to my address

8 Mariners Walk Way
Middle River, MD 21220

I am turning in all checks on Saturday morning of the Poker Run

catastrophe
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
where is this poker run?

Ted
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
It runs on the Chesapeake Bay from the Baltimore MD area north and then back.

catastrophe
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
So I'm checking distance to Baltimore ??

Ted
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Yes, the start area is just outside Baltimore, let me know if I can help in any way.

ToddLahey
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the offer! Melissa and I would love to take you up on this and hopefully we will!
We will keep it in mind as we are trying to plan something to do later this summer!
Thanks!

Andy
06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi All,

On the weekend of June 26th - 28th, I'm participating in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Societies Poker Run in honor of more than 712,000 Americans who are battling blood cancers. Did you know that:
- Every five minutes, someone in this country is diagnosed with blood cancer. Every ten minutes, someone dies.
- Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young people under age 20.
- Lymphomas are the most common blood cancers.
- The myeloma survival rate is only 32 percent.

Please make a donation to support my participation in the Leukemia Cup Poker Run. By doing so, we’ll both be helping save lives. I hope you'll visit my Web site often to check in and see how my fundraising is going.

I'm trying to be the biggest fundraiser for this campaign, so please give big and give often.

FREE BEER AND BOAT RIDE TO THE TOP CONTRIBUTOR!

Click here:

http://mdc.powerboat.llsevent.org/pledge/index.cfm?mid=ALIVERMORE

Thanks for your support for this great cause!

Andy Livermore
President
Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association
www.cbpba.com

Good to see our members using the internet and email to support this cause. Thank you Seriousoffshore for your support as well!:26:

Sammyb713
06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey everyone!!

These are the last couple days to contribute towards this great cause..Either contrinute through myself, Andy, or Scott! It doesnt matter who gets the donation! Just make the contribution!!

Bad news too for those looking forward to the all girl crew..Work schedules were conflicting and the girls have to work now!! They are bartenders so it tough to get the weekends off! They will be meeting me and my boyfriend at Wild Duck on Sunday though!!

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Here are some pictures from the weekend!!!!!

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
more

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
more ....

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
more......

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:37 PM
few more:sifone:

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
some more.

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
mo :sifone:

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
:biggrinjester::driving:

My boy Smitty wouldn't put down the water bottle.... :sifone:

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
:)

Spicy
06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
:drool5::26:

Ted
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Great time for a great cause, just wish I could remember more of Saturday night :D I'll try and get pics up later.

scottc
06-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Great time for a great cause, just wish I could remember more of Saturday night :D I'll try and get pics up later.

I heard something about an air conditioner and some bio hazard?

Spicy
06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.cbpba.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3125

Several more pictures are on our club site.... check them out!!! Link above.

www.cbpba.com

Also, the club as a whole raised just over 35K this weekend for Leaukemia Foundation!!!!! :26: