PDA

View Full Version : Oil in bilge, best way to clean?

sledge
05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
My buddy lost an oil line in his family truckster today. Any suggestions on which products to use, which to avoid?

And yeah, she locked up solid. He says he never got a warning tone. He's got warranty until next year so he's hoping it won't be that painful. I told him to sweet talk the dealer to see if he can get it back with the 320hp cam/ECU and then upgrade the port side to match.

inbetween
05-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Dawn dish detergent works well.

Expensive Date
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
The oil absorbent pads should get 90 % of it just lay them around and push them into corners and stuff with a broom handle.Then use spray nine or dawn for the rest.

old377guy
05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I like the biologicals that actually eat the oil; any residue then Dawn- good luck
Jeff

LaughingCat
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
back trailer onto yard of neighbor with dog that barks all night, raise tongue high, pull plug. It's best to attempt after 3am and before 6am (oil runs faster)

Ratickle
05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
back trailer onto yard of neighbor with dog that barks all night, raise tongue high, pull plug. It's best to attempt after 3am and before 6am (oil runs faster)

Nope.

The best way is get Bobcat drunk and tell him it's spilled beer......:sifone:

Bobcat
05-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Nope.

The best way is get Bobcat drunk and tell him it's spilled beer......:sifone:

oil goes right through me , then i drive around in my convertible full of sh*t:auto:

LaughingCat
05-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Good stuff

Playn
05-30-2009, 10:59 PM
If it's trailerable then I use any bilgle cleaner, dump it in there add a few bags of ice and drive to your destination. The ice will act as an aggetator and does a good job of cleaning. Pull the plug and wipe down.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Spray nine makes a de greaser Grez Off. It is the greatest

Audiofn
05-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Bilge Bully works well.

sy goldberg
05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
STECZ,a straw,and a box of tampons and a boat ride in 10 foot seas.

Seafordguy
05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Bilge Bully works well.

That is what I use....

Also Zep Citrus cleaner works well I find.

CAREFUL of painted surfaces with either Bilge Bully or Zep Citrus....

lucky strike
05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Joy dish washing liquid workd great

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I have tried them all Grez Off is the best.

http://www.spraynine.com/index.php?cPath=60&name=Cleaners%2FDegreasers

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I have tried them all Grez Off is the best.

http://www.spraynine.com/index.php?cPath=60&name=Cleaners%2FDegreasers

Does it have any bad side to it as far as on stainless, paint, aluminum, etc?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Does it have any bad side to it as far as on stainless, paint, aluminum, etc?

It will clean aluminum so well it will start to haze in the sun. It needs to be rinsed. Having grown up in salt I always rinsed then sprayed will CRC on engine parts and painted things. I have been using it for about 15 years never hurt anything. It is not for top side things like upholstery, but it cleans engines and bilges like nothing else.

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
It will clean aluminum so well it will start to haze in the sun. It needs to be rinsed. Having grown up in salt I always rinsed then sprayed will CRC on engine parts and painted things. I have been using it for about 15 years never hurt anything. It is not for top side things like upholstery, but it cleans engines and bilges like nothing else.

I was reading their sheet and it says don't use on Motorcycles????

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Having grown up in salt I always rinsed then sprayed will CRC on engine parts and painted things.

I typed in CRC and this is what I got....:sifone:

Didn't know there was even a market for colons.....:ack2:

1 Costa Rican colon = 0.001732 U.S. dollars

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I can only guess it is because of bare aluminum. I use it to clean the Merc race motors and it will haze polished and bare aluminum if you let it dry in the sun. I have seen no effect on stainless. It will leave a white film on painted surfaces if you let it dry. CRC and blow dry with air compressor or wipe dry with CRC and you will do have a problem. On things that are already generally clean spray and rinse is all that is nec.

07DominatorSS
05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Dawn dish detergent works well.

Agree. Dish soap and warm water.

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Gonna need more info on CRC Jim. There are a bunch of them out there......

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=06008&S=Y

It is like WD 40 but lasts longer. I buy it by the gallon and use with sprayers. The also have spray cans.

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=06008&S=Y

It is like WD 40 but lasts longer. I buy it by the gallon and use with sprayers. The also have spray cans.

Thanks.....

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Once it is clean a add a little Lemon Fresh Joy to the dry bilge and leave it. When a little water gets in and it sloshes around it leaves a clean smell. You will even notice the cabin will smell better.

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Once it is clean a add a little Lemon Fresh Joy to the dry bilge and leave it. When a little water gets in and it sloshes around it leaves a clean smell. You will even notice the cabin will smell better.

You obviously spend too much time in bilges........:sifone:

sledge
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys!

The bilge itself is the easy part, it's all the places the oil sprayed that's a b!tch. And most "degreasing" cleaners aren't very friendly to painted/polished/delicate surfaces.

Would never do that to Bobcat! Still owe him for checking out a boat in KW a while back. :D

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys!

The bilge itself is the easy part, it's all the places the oil sprayed that's a b!tch. And most "degreasing" cleaners aren't very friendly to painted/polished/delicate surfaces.

Would never do that to Bobcat! Still owe him for checking out a boat in KW a while back. :D

I'd trust Jim.

As you can tell, he lives to be in, (or lives in) bilges........

sledge
05-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I wonder how similar the Grezoff is to Simple Green? My buddy is a simple green fanatic. Sounds like the bare aluminum thing is common.

Ratickle, you've never heard of CRC?!?! That's like the 4th liquid on the list of must-have liquids: oil,fuel,liquor,CRC... It's like a combination of WD-40, corrosion blocker and PB Blaster. Like Jim said, especially down here in the salt, everything gets a coat of CRC or corrosion blocker after every use. It tends to peal stickers off eventually but it keeps a protective layer over everything.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
You obviously spend too much time in bilges........:sifone:

When I uncover a boat I want it to smell clean.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I wonder how similar the Grezoff is to Simple Green? My buddy is a simple green fanatic. Sounds like the bare aluminum thing is common.

Ratickle, you've never heard of CRC?!?! That's like the 4th liquid on the list of must-have liquids: oil,fuel,liquor,CRC... It's like a combination of WD-40, corrosion blocker and PB Blaster. Like Jim said, especially down here in the salt, everything gets a coat of CRC or corrosion blocker after every use. It tends to peal stickers off eventually but it keeps a protective layer over everything.

I think Grez Off is miles ahead of simple green. I also spray everyting with CRC after use. Engines, trim motors, and drives.

The three liquids I can't work without are Spray Nine, Grez-Off, CRC 6-56.

Geronimo36
05-31-2009, 01:31 PM
I wonder how similar the Grezoff is to Simple Green? My buddy is a simple green fanatic. Sounds like the bare aluminum thing is common..

I don't find it to work as well as Grezoff.. There are some that come close but that's the best grease cutter.

I like to mist a little water down first, then spray the grezoff and let it sit for a few minutes. Use a nice stiff bristle brush, scrub and wash down with water.

Grezoff will get rid of grime and muck that's been in the bildge for years!!!
People suggested I powerwash a bildge instead and I've tried it a few times but I've had better luck with just the Grezoff and a brush!

For regular crap in the bilge I just poor in some bilge cleaner and take the boat for a ride, cleans it up nice!

Geronimo36
05-31-2009, 01:32 PM
the three liquids i can't work without are spray nine, grez-off, crc 6-56.

amen!! :)

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 01:41 PM

Okay, I'm guilty, we don't have a lot of salt water in Michigan though.

Audiofn
05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Ya I should have mentioned to be carefull around paint with the bilge bully stuff. I spray everything down real wet then put that on a brush and just scrub away. That way it is only getting on what I want.

Padraig
05-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Fill a pump up garden sprayer with hot water and dawn dish soap. This allows you to spray the hard to get nooks and crannies.

Sean Stinson
05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
They used to have a product called oil eater but I think it was bought out by someone else anyway you can get at most autoparts stores....when you spray it in the bilge it turns the oil purple leave it set and rinse it out!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Grez off turns purple on synthetic oil.

Sean Stinson
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Grez off turns purple on synthetic oil.

Then thats probably who bought them out.... that stuff is the sheznitt

Tony
05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Zep industial orange gel degreaser will cut through almost anything within a few secconds and it clings to whatever you spray it on, its wicked **** (disolves asphalt on contact). If you have any mildly painted surfaces in the bilge follow it up with a dishsoap/water rinse and call it a day.

BradH
05-31-2009, 11:27 PM
If it's Mobil 1, be sure to rinse immediately if you are using Spray Nine or the purple color will stain.