PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell a boat in this market?

Lubejobs42
05-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Best way to sell a boat in this market?

I decided to do another boat. I want to move the Mercedes boat. --NOT Before the Bimini race!! I will be needing it for that weekend!!

In this market do you think the best way to sell a boat is just market it "open to offers"? I look at the classifieds like we all do and it seems most of the same boats are always there. I wonder if it's over price or is it another reason. The part that confuses me is new boats are selling. There are New MTI's, Nortechs, Skaters showing up all the time. You know the price of new is proabably 40% to 50% more that a year old boat with low hours. What makes those buyers buy a new boat over some of the other beautiful, dialed in, like new boats out there? For once, I would like to sell my boat without the 6 month stomach ache that goes along with.
When I sold Lubejobs, I was insulted and ****ed off at least a dozen times.
I would really like to avoid that. Any suggestions?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=45

phragle
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
that price doesn't look out of line, plus the boat has a reputation as the reggie killer....

cig1988
05-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Gino
Several years ago I sold a $50K Bullet. Had the same amount or more stomach aches and of course the Nigerian attempts. IMO a high profile boat as yours would sell quicker than something for a fraction of the price. Your boat is unique and of course you will get the dreamers/tire kickers that will insult you as they did with me. My answer to the jerks that pick apart something for sale is "go buy a new one...click".
One suggestion would be a broker to weed out the simple minded. Did you try a broker with Lubejobs?

cosmic12
05-28-2009, 06:29 AM
WOW! Seems like a great deal to me,although so far beyound me that I can't even aford to dream about it. I wish you luck and can't imagine you haveing any problem selling it.
Can't wait to see whats next.

fund razor
05-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Just wanted to remind everybody that guys will be searching for video of that boat one day, a little like people look for Warpath today. That Mercedes boat has become part of offshore history, IMO.
It is sort of the modern cat Warpath in a way. And I am not even a cat person.

Chris
05-28-2009, 07:49 AM
There's a tiny number of guys out there that are going to be potential buyers for that boat. The possibility of that being someone's first boat is virtually nil. That means that someone you know knows the next owner. Frankie/Woods at Pier 57, Scott Shogren, Peter at Double R and a couple more make up that list. I would also add Stu Jones and Bill Taylor to that list. If it were me, I'd put together a nice portfolio of print, photos and video on the boat and talk to each of those guys about getting it into the hands of the people that populate their Rolodexes.

Tom A.
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Two things that come to my mind.
As for selling it: visibility is important.
When I sold my Kryptonite, I listed it on all the boat sites, brokered it through Typhoon, and used Ebay. I knew it wouldn't really sell through Ebay, however it gave a great nationwide exposure.
As for why new boats are selling:
Dealers can take trade ins and provide financing.

Wrinkleface
05-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Best way to sell a boat in this market?

I decided to do another boat. I want to move the Mercedes boat. --NOT Before the Bimini race!! I will be needing it for that weekend!!

In this market do you think the best way to sell a boat is just market it "open to offers"? I look at the classifieds like we all do and it seems most of the same boats are always there. I wonder if it's over price or is it another reason. The part that confuses me is new boats are selling. There are New MTI's, Nortechs, Skaters showing up all the time. You know the price of new is proabably 40% to 50% more that a year old boat with low hours. What makes those buyers buy a new boat over some of the other beautiful, dialed in, like new boats out there? For once, I would like to sell my boat without the 6 month stomach ache that goes along with.
When I sold Lubejobs, I was insulted and ****ed off at least a dozen times.
I would really like to avoid that. Any suggestions?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=45

tough X Gino, good luck, awesome boat, can't wait 2 C your next project!!!!

Seafordguy
05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I have sure as heck never shopped in your price range, but I know for me I do not like it when people do not list a price with their boat. It just doesn't give any indication that the two parties could come together at a mutually acceptable price.

Also - I think it opens you up to low-ballers, tire kickers, and general jackasses.....

Just my opinion.

Good Luck....

Chris
05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
This is so not your typical used boat. If there are ten potential buyers in the country right now, I'd be surprised. The size, the fact it's a cat, the fact that it's a 150 mph boat and the fact that it runs on race gas are major barriers. And that's before we cross the price threshold. The next owner is someone that's known to the community and is "around".

Tony
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
you left out the insurance cost part.

Sea-Dated
05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Call Frankie and let him know. He could be a great resource for moving used MTI's.......

Sea-Dated
05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
you left out the insurance cost part.

If you are buying a $500K 4 person toy, insurance is not a big issue.

lowblue320
05-28-2009, 09:13 AM
If you are buying a $500K 4 person toy, insurance is not a big issue.

Amen to that, then again niether is the size nor the gas.........

Lubejobs42
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
This is so not your typical used boat. If there are ten potential buyers in the country right now, I'd be surprised. The size, the fact it's a cat, the fact that it's a 150 mph boat and the fact that it runs on race gas are major barriers. And that's before we cross the price threshold. The next owner is someone that's known to the community and is "around".

You left out:
It's going to depreciate every year, it's noisy, it needs maintenence, there is storage involved, anything else?? That might help move it?

sy goldberg
05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I have a new insurance program for MTI and NOR-TECH cats.

Lubejobs42
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I have a new insurance program for MTI and NOR-TECH cats.

Is it with Markell??

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM
You left out:
It's going to depreciate every year, it's noisy, it needs maintenence, there is storage involved, anything else?? That might help move it?

Just add mufflers.....:)

Wonder about getting ahold of Ned and asking about the overseas market? There's gotta be a shiek who has a matching Mercedes to that boat.

Isn't Neds next magazine due out next month? Do they list boats? I'm assuming he has the largest overseas market of any high-performance mag out there.

catastrophe
05-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Gino..You ask why people are buying new when yours is available for less dough.

Some of it is that this boat has got you written all over it and will forever be GINOS boat. Anyone with 500-1 big one to spend wants their signature on it.

Your boat has a rep...a good one but one attached to you.

When Gene Autrys horse Champion died he didnt call Roy Rogers to buy Trigger.

Lubejobs42
05-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Gino..You ask why people are buying new when yours is available for less dough.

Some of it is that this boat has got you written all over it and will forever be GINOS boat. Anyone with 500-1 big one to spend wants their signature on it.

Your boat has a rep...a good one but one attached to you.

When Gene Autrys horse Champion died he didnt call Roy Rogers to buy Trigger.

Face no one ever had a problem dating any of my ex's! :)

All that may be true but people overlook or forget very quickly if the $$$ is right. I bought the boat when it was Mercedes of massapequa. Everyone knew it was Stewats boat.

David Scotts boats always find homes pretty quickly.

With all the negatives put a side, the boat is the most incredible boat I have ever been in. MTI, Supercat Rigging and Sterling did this one right.

Lets face it, I'm the guy that runs into everything, my head is up my a$$ most of the time. I have the reputation of the unluckiest person on the water and even with all that, the boat has the reputaion it does.Even I couldn't screw it up.
Imagine if the boat was owned by a normal person!

When did Gene Autreys horse die? I didn't see that on MSN. Was he sick? RIP

catastrophe
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

LMFAO !!!

Probably 40 years ago

The Cat Killer deal makes it your boat forever.

Chris
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
You left out:

You seem to have taken those comments as knocks against the boat, which they absolutely weren't. But they're all true and they're attributes that made the boat attractive to you. And there's another guy out there just like you that's looking for something like the MBZ boat. But there aren't hundreds.

My advice was highlighting the attributes of the boat and the necessity to focus on where you might find a buyer. I'm not thinking a guy that's interested in this boat is trolling Ebay or Yachtworld.com. He's already got a boat something like this. I could be wrong, but I'll be one of those sources I named already knows the next owner. He's probably not a guy that's even looking and he likely doesn't spend alot of time on the boards. But a phone call from a friend might get some wheels turning.

Geronimo36
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Gino, maybe offer the boat with or without power or offer stock engines as an option???

I hear you about the frustrating part... I was trying to help a friend and we even got a $150K offer on a $260K asking price... But I guess that's the nature of the market and people are looking to see if they can make a deal.

I guess the good thing is you're also in a position to get the next boat on the cheap but might have to give up some on this one. That's what I've been trying to explain to my buddy.

Magic Medicine
05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Gino,

I agree with others that say this boat is going to take a special buyer. Probably an educated buyer who knows all the good attributes of the boat and the great history that goes along with it. Don't get me wrong or take this as an insult but the fact that it is a advertisement for a non boating company may be a deterant to some.

As far as the bad luck, don't get to caught up in that as you can afford and own some VERY nice offshores! You must be lucky in the business areana or be very smart! Theres alot of us that would be tickled to have the problem to sell this boat and have to replace it with something equally as cool or better!

My humble .02

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Gotta ask Gino, is there any chance of the Mercedes dealership continuing their sponsorship at all if someone else owns the boat?

sellsman11
05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

LMFAO !!!

Probably 40 years ago

The Cat Killer deal makes it your boat forever.

Quality stuff right there. GINO......ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!:sifone::sifone:

Did the package arrive safely??

waterboy222
05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
There's a tiny number of guys out there that are going to be potential buyers for that boat. The possibility of that being someone's first boat is virtually nil. That means that someone you know knows the next owner. Frankie/Woods at Pier 57, Scott Shogren, Peter at Double R and a couple more make up that list. I would also add Stu Jones and Bill Taylor to that list. If it were me, I'd put together a nice portfolio of print, photos and video on the boat and talk to each of those guys about getting it into the hands of the people that populate their Rolodexes.

Best advice Ive read in this thread..

Lubejobs42
05-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Quality stuff right there. GINO......ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!:sifone::sifone:

Did the package arrive safely??

Just got here Today!! Thank you I know i would still be waiting if it weren't for you, Thank you again!!!!
You know the boat as well as anyone, big commisssion waiting for you!

MarylandMark
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Your boat is one of the baddest ever built. IMHO your typical owner is going to try to top that.

Very, very few that can play in the kind of sandbox you do- even at 60% off.

Good luck with the same and I was only 4 numbers away from calling you this AM (Powerball $222M but I only had 2+PB= $7)

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Your boat is one of the baddest ever built. IMHO your typical owner is going to try to top that.

Very, very few that can play in the kind of sandbox you do- even at 60% off.

Good luck with the same and I was only 4 numbers away from calling you this AM (Powerball $222M but I only had 2+PB= $7)

Gotta check mine......:26:

See if I can call him........:)

Salesmanship
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
I would suggest promoting the boat for sale in the general discussion forums in an attempt to bring more attention to it.
Just an idea. :rolleyes:

Sean Stinson
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Gino I am trying to reach you.....did you get the message on your VM

Sean Stinson
05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I would suggest promoting the boat for sale in the general discussion forums in an attempt to bring more attention to it.

How goes the battle bro????

Salesmanship
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Just having fun. And you?

TazMotorsports
05-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Win the Bimini Race again!!!!!!!:biggrinjester:

SinkinFastR
05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I think that the biggest barrier is as some of the other members have stated, it is always going to be thought of as Gino's boat. I sold a boat in 2003 that I bought new in 1998 and the biggest complaint the guy had was that everywhere he took the boat all he heard was "isn't that Chuck's boat".

The second problem is that a guy that can spend 500K can probably spend 1M and not have the problem of answering who's boat it was.

Good Luck and I hope you have better luck than I have in selling my boat.

Lubejobs42
05-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Never thought of that!;)

JupiterSunsation
05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Gino take that boat to Winner, South Dakota this weekend. Someone there (town of 2800) just hit the Powerball for 232 million. When they ask what it is (assuming it is being hauled legally on a tilt trailer) tell them it is a spaceship and it is definitely NOT for sale. After two or three inquiries about it..... sell it for a million bucks!