PDA

View Full Version : New Powerboat/Nordic

Ms PatriYacht
05-27-2009, 12:17 AM
The new powerboat magazine has a picture of an open bow Nordic 27 Thor, family catamaran on the back cover. There is a woman with a child sitting in her lap in the bow. I am not sure how accurate the photo is, perhaps it is misleading, but it looks like only a small foot rest/ledge would keep you from sliding off the bow. I can't help but wonder what speeds they think is safe to sit there, from the photo shop photo it looks fast, is this supposed to be safe. Here is a link to the boat, but the drawing does not really show what the photo in the magazine does.
http://www.nordicboatsusa.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=125213&CatDesc=Boats&ModelYear=2009

Chris
05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Has anyone even noticed that people wearing life preservers are rarities in PBM?

phragle
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Has anyone even noticed that people wearing life preservers are rarities in PBM?

A little off topic... but going with media responsability.. I was a mod on an ATV forum for a couple years and preached helmet usage. put a sticky on the pik thread...post a riding pik without a helmet, I delete it. helmet use picked up dramatically after that.

Wrinkleface
05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
The new powerboat magazine has a picture of an open bow Nordic 27 Thor, family catamaran on the back cover. There is a woman with a child sitting in her lap in the bow. I am not sure how accurate the photo is, perhaps it is misleading, but it looks like only a small foot rest/ledge would keep you from sliding off the bow. I can't help but wonder what speeds they think is safe to sit there, from the photo shop photo it looks fast, is this supposed to be safe. Here is a link to the boat, but the drawing does not really show what the photo in the magazine does.
http://www.nordicboatsusa.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=125213&CatDesc=Boats&ModelYear=2009

looks like w/ a quick throttle back she & the kid could slide right off the front of the boat on the magazine!!!:confused:

cosmic12
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, My question is. Who and why would anyone in there right mind would want a Bow rider cat in the first place? I guess its just that west coast lake boat thing. Years ago I was Nordic dealer, when I was out there at the factory they had just built the first 28 Heat bow rider and where trying to sell me on it, I said are you nuts? We are on the east coast and I wouldn't be able to give them away, I was correct about that but Lonnie said you just wait everyone will be building them soon and I am sorry to say he was correct about that. I didn't understand it then and still don't. Just a west coast thing.

Magic Medicine
05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't think it is safe to sit in the open bow of any performance boat at any speed range. The added weight in the front of the boat dramatically changes the handeling aspect of the boat.

I saw that magazine pic and that does not look "safe" by my standards

Knot 4 Me
05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Open bows, IMO, are only good for rivers and small lakes with little traffic and wave action. And speeds need to be kept down when passengers are riding in the front. I run no faster than 30 - 34 MPH when I have people in the front of my boat. And if things get rough like it can at LOTO, everyone rides behind the windshield. Fortunately, my bow area is very deep. I am 5'11" and my arm is slightly elevated when resting on the deck next to the bow rail. I cannot imagine riding in something like that Thor with so little protection to my side and front...even in calm water.

Perlmudder
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I personally do not enjoy bow riders at all, and we own one! Our boat only goes about 55mph and I would not want to be in the bow going that fast. A while back in Powerboat they tested a DCB that did something like 148mph and it was an open bow cat. That is absolutely ridicules! I think a common misconception is that just because you are in a seat, you are safe, and that is definitely not the case when sitting in the bow of a boat.

Sea-Dated
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Here is the ad scanned from the back of this months Powerboat.......

phragle
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Who funds those designs?? the american bar assoc.??

Knot 4 Me
05-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I personally do not enjoy bow riders at all, and we own one! Same here.

Ms PatriYacht
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
looks like w/ a quick throttle back she & the kid could slide right off the front of the boat on the magazine!!!:confused:

my thoughts exactly, We have an open bow ski boat, but the bow wraps around you and you sit at about chest level, and we never hit more than about 40, mostly slower.

Jayhawker
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Saying you don't like a bow rider vs. closed bow is like two rednecks arguing over Ford vs. Chevy. It’s a personal choice and it depends on the type of boating you do. The safe operation of any boat is the responsibility of the captain. That said, I agree that the Nordic ad is some very irresponsible advertising.

Jayhawker
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Who funds those designs?? the american bar assoc.??

Probably!

Ms PatriYacht
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM

I think PBM has actually gotten better about with that, I called the editor on the phone about 18 months ago and complained about the lack of vests on their test shots. He said he can't control the ads but for the tests and editorials they were making an effort in that direction.

OldSchool
05-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Saying you don't like a bow rider vs. closed bow is like two rednecks arguing over Ford vs. Chevy. It’s a personal choice and it depends on the type of boating you do. The safe operation of any boat is the responsibility of the captain. That said, I agree that the Nordic ad is some very irresponsible advertising.

'Nuff said. Thanks. :) Is there really anything else to say???? Could this go on for days? Weeks?? Months???

I really just wish that my mailman would hurry up and finish reading so he can leave it in my mailbox. How many times can I read the Summit Racing parts catalog while in the crapper??????

Magic Medicine
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
'Nuff said. Thanks. :) Is there really anything else to say???? Could this go on for days? Weeks?? Months???

I really just wish that my mailman would hurry up and finish reading so he can leave it in my mailbox. How many times can I read the Summit Racing parts catalog while in the crapper??????

don't feel bad I just got mine yesterday I was begining to think it would never show up

Wrinkleface
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
How many times can I read the Summit Racing parts catalog while in the crapper??????

Dude, U can always take the "Victoria's" catalog in there w/ ya! NO, I repeat, NO, pix needed!!!!:boxing_smiley::biggrinjester:

Ms PatriYacht
05-27-2009, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=OldSchool;229416]'Nuff said. Thanks. :) Is there really anything else to say???? Could this go on for days? Weeks?? Months???
QUOTE]

Craig the point of this thread is not if you like bow riders or not, it's about the design and advertising promotion of THIS Nordic bowrider, once your mailman finishes with the mag, let me know your thoughts on the design of the one on the back cover. We love our Malibu bowrider, but I think I would only sunbathe on the Nordic bow:biggrinjester:

Madpoodle
05-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Girls hot, bet that ain't her kid..

bret
05-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, My question is. Who and why would anyone in there right mind would want a Bow rider cat in the first place? I guess its just that west coast lake boat thing. Years ago I was Nordic dealer, when I was out there at the factory they had just built the first 28 Heat bow rider and where trying to sell me on it, I said are you nuts? We are on the east coast and I wouldn't be able to give them away, I was correct about that but Lonnie said you just wait everyone will be building them soon and I am sorry to say he was correct about that. I didn't understand it then and still don't. Just a west coast thing.

Really?
I think they're a great way to go. I would love a boat like this. I have been looking at the E-tickets and Tridents and would have a lot more use for a boat like this than my Outlaw. I Never use the cabin at all and when we tie up we (and everyone else with a performance boat) head for the first pontoon boat that is tied up with us. The only thing bad about a pontoon is the speed and general ugliness.
I also have a Malibu wakeboard boat and it is great, except you can't run it in snotty water. I do NOT let anyone ride in front when it is underway. Also, these boats are considered deckboats, not cats, and are insured for a fraction of what cats are.:)

HPOffshore
05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I've noticed an up-surge in bow rider sales in the past year...especially the bigger ones 28-31'. It seems to me like boating is taking on a focus that's more about "US", than "ME".....just an observation. And to keep it on-topic; no one should be riding up front in any kind of performance searching situation, in ANY brand of boat.

dykstra
05-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Girls hot, bet that ain't her kid..

hilarious:sifone: