PDA

View Full Version : Visited Skater Last Friday

T2x
05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I welcomed the chance to spend some quality time with one of my favorite people, Peter Hledin. He had over a dozen boats on the floor in various stages of build (or re-rig in a couple of cases). While business is not at peak levels, Skater continues to lead the performance pack in demand and quality.

It amazes me that anyone would consider another cat, given that the handcrafted, flat deck Skaters are the only truly custom product out there, at a price which is competitive with the other (fully molded) contenders in the market. The hours of hand workmanship, sizzling performance, and original styling are the standard against which all others are measured. In addition the absolutely insane in house painting is outrageously creative and unique.

I've known Peter since his earliest boats and I bow to his position as the undisputed king of performance builders in the entire history of the sport. I look forward to our next visit toward the end of this year.

Buy a Skater.......... I did ;)

T2x

Bobcat
05-26-2009, 03:25 PM
pics Rich pics!!!! ( I might be too fat for a skater,I could get in,but gettin out looks tough!):sifone:

CDOWNS
05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
:):):)

T2x
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
pics Rich pics!!!! ( I might be too fat for a skater,I could get in,but gettin out looks tough!):sifone:

Like I said...Skaters are custom built...there is no owner too fat to fit in.....

:D

T2x

Bobcat
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
it is a dead giveaway when the trim tab on the drivers side is twice as big as the other !:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
05-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Rich,

Maybe next time I could go with you to do a photo shoot ?

Or on the other hand, how far is the SKATER plant from Harrison Twp. ???

If I end up driving out there for the race in July, it may be worth the extra time to pay Peter a visit...

Here is the inside of one of Peter's work of art :

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p883283702/slideshow

Enjoy !:)

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I welcomed the chance to spend some quality time with one of my favorite people, Peter Hledin. He had over a dozen boats on the floor in various stages of build (or re-rig in a couple of cases). While business is not at peak levels, Skater continues to lead the performance pack in demand and quality.

It amazes me that anyone would consider another cat, given that the handcrafted, flat deck Skaters are the only truly custom product out there, at a price which is competitive with the other (fully molded) contenders in the market. The hours of hand workmanship, sizzling performance, and original styling are the standard against which all others are measured. In addition the absolutely insane in house painting is outrageously creative and unique.

I've known Peter since his earliest boats and I bow to his position as the undisputed king of performance builders in the entire history of the sport. I look forward to our next visit toward the end of this year.

T2x
__________________ I agree 100% , because it's a Skater nation...........................................................:26:

Ratickle
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Rich,

If I end up driving out there for the race in July, it may be worth the extra time to pay Peter a visit...

You guys are always welcome to stay at our place, just let us know. We're about 1/2 hour from the factory on the north side of Holland.

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Rich,

Enjoy !:) around 3 to 4 hours and maybe we all could hook up considerig im only 20 min from Douglas and have lunch ?

Wrinkleface
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM

T2x

Have a Buddy that is close 2 get'n his new 32! I understand they R wait'n on eggbeaters that R 2 B supplied by somebody else!!!:boxing_smiley:

Ratickle
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Rich,

And just bring Rich with you......:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Rich,

Enjoy !:) Dammmmmmmmmmm SHARKEY i can not believe you made it that far up in the Pickles to take pics and by the way great pics . I also have been up at Douglas 3 to 4 times in the last few months getting materials for redoing gas tanks on a 32 Skater and how pretty is there layup. WOW !:26:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
05-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Dammmmmmmmmmm SHARKEY i can not believe you made it that far up in the Pickles to take pics and by the way great pics . I also have been up at Douglas 3 to 4 times in the last few months getting materials for redoing gas tanks on a 32 Skater and how pretty is there layup. WOW !:26:

It's so much better going up there with a camera instead of a grinder and a dryer hose attached to the front of my face.....:ack2:

And to think with the vacuum bagged boats, there is little to no chance of getting any splinters..... :)

stainless
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Skater Baby!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree 100% , because it's a Skater nation...........................................................:26:

Me too:sifone:

gatorone
05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Mine leaves tomorrow

ApachePete
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Rich!

Are you still here?

Love to get to see you. And tell you the TRUTH re: Peter.

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Mine leaves tomorrow DAWGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and what was yours there for ( new or old ) and as luck has it i will be at Douglas around 1:30 tomorrow .:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Rich!

Are you still here?

Love to get to see you. And tell you the TRUTH re: Peter. Be nice Pete .:rofl::rofl::rofl: :26:

Cash Bar
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Mine leaves tomorrow

Good to hear!!

Now, about that avatar. :ack2:

See you in a week. :biggrinjester:

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
It's so much better going up there with a camera instead of a grinder and a dryer hose attached to the front of my face.....:ack2:

And to think with the vacuum bagged boats, there is little to no chance of getting any splinters..... :) So overall is the layup not (awsome) ? :26:

gatorone
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
DAWGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and what was yours there for ( new or old ) and as luck has it i will be at Douglas around 1:30 tomorrow .:sifone:

leaves late afternoon...just getting a lil tlc....or a trailer adjustment

Offshore Ginger
05-26-2009, 11:01 PM
leaves late afternoon...just getting a lil tlc....or a trailer adjustment Cool and are you going to be picking up the trailer , orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?:sifone:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
05-26-2009, 11:43 PM
So overall is the layup not (awsome) ? :26:I think the pictures speak volumes on the layup.... :sifone:

boatme
05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Pete has been a freind of ours (wife and I) for years

One of the most down to earth guys you will ever meet and one heck of a boat builder

We are fortunate to get to the plant a few times a year and always have a great time walking through the shop and seeing what is new

Lunch with Pete is always a highlight and you cant forget to go get his mail on the way back :)

One of the trully good guys in the industry

T2x
05-27-2009, 08:52 AM
pics Rich pics!!!! :

Here ya go

T2x
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
More........ and yes those are bazooka tubes on the blue cat.

I really like this flat deck OB.

Flat deck is really a misnomer.... The correct term should be custom deck, because, unlike the competition, there are few straight lines on a Skater deck...... or sides for that matter. If you don't think that is significant than why didn't mother nature make an egg in the shape of a cube?

T2x
05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
And.......

T2x
05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Some old guys...who still have it.... :D

Peter with me...and Phillip.

chewiekw
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I have always been interested in boat design and construction. Can someone help me understand the differences in the way Skater, MTI, Outerlimits, Nor-Tech build their boats? Different materials? Different process?
Just trying to educate myself.

Geronimo36
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Where's the pics of the new boat?? Or did I misread.

Sean Stinson
05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Nice....so spill the beans Rich what did you buy buddy????

T2x
05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Where's the pics of the new boat?? Or did I misread.

You misread.......

T2x

T2x
05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice....so spill the beans Rich what did you buy buddy????

I picked up my trusty ol' 28......... a real driver's boat... :p

Pro1
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Philip has to be itching after that visit!!!! :03::26:

T2x
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Philip has to be itching after that visit!!!! :03::26:

You betcha...the 30 and 32 foot OB Custom decks have his name written all over them.

Kim might approve too.....;)

Wrinkleface
05-27-2009, 10:50 AM

That's my Buddies!!:sifone:

boatme
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
That's my Buddies!!:sifone:

You don't have any friends just sympathizers :rofl::26::rofl:

Wrinkleface
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM

I have a dog!!!!:sifone:

boatme
05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a dog!!!!:sifone:

Yea but look wht what does he get ???? :drool5:

Geronimo36
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM

You misread.......

T2x

Ok, makes sense now!:)

KnotRight
05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Is that a 50 I see?

Excalibur Racing
05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Rich,

In the discussion about the Mystic coming apart you stated that Carbon Fiber should never be used on a running surface. Peter seems to have found a good use for it!!!!

justgolf
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
is that a 50????

MarylandMark
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Have a Buddy that is close 2 get'n his new 32! I understand they R wait'n on eggbeaters that R 2 B supplied by somebody else!!!

A 32 w/eggbeaters? Details please- seems that is a lot to ask of a hull even with it being a Skater. Just curious

Bobcat
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
great stuff , thanks Rich!!!:)

T2x
05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Rich,

In the discussion about the Mystic coming apart you stated that Carbon Fiber should never be used on a running surface. Peter seems to have found a good use for it!!!!

Please direct me to the post you are referring to.

boatme
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Rich

Did you go to lunch then to the post office ????

Pete is a man of routine

T2x
05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Rich

Did you go to lunch then to the post office ????

Pete is a man of routine

The last few visits we had lunch. Actually on my last visit we had dinner on New Years night. This time we had to hit the road fairly quickly and we were gone by late morning.

Peter, as always, is the consumate host. Years ago when we were competitors of a sort I marveled at how quickly he was able to build a cadre of loyal buyers and racers. In retrospect he is a much nicer guy than I am....and, to be honest, a bit more talented as well. We always reflect on old times and laugh at some of the present day hijinx.

I know most of the top builders in this game.......None of them are perfect, but Peter stands head and shoulders over the rest.

Buy a Skater.

T2x

Excalibur Racing
05-28-2009, 09:27 AM

You were talking about Ron Jones and how he use to put aluminum in the bottom of the boat, then you said you would not use CF as a bottom material, or something to that effect.

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Rich,

You were talking about Ron Jones and how he use to put aluminum in the bottom of the boat, then you said you would not use CF as a bottom material, or something to that effect.

It was in the 12 boat thread, which is gone now.

It was boostbros talking about the achilles heel of carbon, lack of flexibility and adding aluminum. Rich mentioned Ron Jones used to put an aluminum skin on his wood hulls. And Rich did say he would not use carbon on the running surface. I remember talking about it because I used Kevlar/Carbon weave material in the record RC boats we built. Carbon by itself would shatter on a flip or stuff.

T2x
05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Actually we would not use CF on the boats we built because of the brittleness and lack of flexibility. CF is useful if you are trying to ward off a single blow as opposed to repeated flexing as it tends to fail under continuous impacts IMHO.

My confusion is from another thread I am currently on at another website where the conversation is around the avoidance of using foam core on running surfaces. Foam tends to contract after repeated impacts leaving voids in the sandwich which could lead to delamination.

The simple fact is that there are different strokes for different folks and some builders have better experiences with certain materials, or are able to compensate for certain tendencies with compensatory modifications to the layup schedule. The fact that I don't know how to make something work does not mean that no one else can.......... But certainly questions should be asked and answered to satisfy the end user.

T2x

T2x
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
It was in the 12 boat thread, which is gone now.

That was a pretty good thread........ :p

T2x

cigdaze
05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, it was.

Davidmnc
05-28-2009, 10:12 AM

That's for sure! :biggrinjester:

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
That was a pretty good thread........ :p

T2x

That was a great thread.

People sometimes get excited and answer before full completion of process can be determined. Happens in a text discussion more often than in a voice discussion. I never take it personal. I believe it was General Patten who said in WWII, "If every one in the room thinks the same thing, then everyone's not thinking". Or something close to that.

This is an official lobby attempt to bring the thread back.......:)

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 10:19 AM

The Cat Can Do 28 Cat Light is an incredible running Skater 28.

T2x
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
This is an official lobby attempt to bring the thread back.......:)

How do you do that?

cigdaze
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
You let me know that you want it restored, and it's done.
:)

Excalibur Racing
05-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Rich,

You were refering to Ron Jones using aluminum in the bottom of his hydros, and you said I would not use CF as a bottom material in any case.

Excalibur Racing
05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Restart it PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! I need to gather more info and I'm learning alot from Rich's fireside chats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Restart it PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! I need to gather more info and I'm learning alot from Rich's fireside chats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich started the thread and deleted it when it became more about the personel than the issues. He is the only one who can have it restarted.

All lobbying attempts to him are appreciated.:)

Excalibur Racing
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
OK, Rich, Please restart it Or how much do you get an hour to consult? How do I get a copy of the Mark Lavin Safety Manual?

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
OK, Rich, Please restart it Or how much do you get an hour to consult? How do I get a copy of the Mark Lavin Safety Manual?

He requested it, and it's back......:)

T2x
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM

E-mail glinder123@aol.com He will send you a copy....if he's not sleeping.

:p

Excalibur Racing
05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks, he will wake up eventually, hopefully!

T2x
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks, he will wake up eventually, hopefully!

I've been trying to wake him up since 1963...... ;)

Knot 4 Me
05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I hear all the time that it's a "Skater Nation". ;)

jmeng
05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
A 32 w/eggbeaters? Details please- seems that is a lot to ask of a hull even with it being a Skater. Just curious

Plenty of 32 and even some 36 Skaters built with outboards.

cowisl
05-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Plenty of 32 and even some 36 Skaters built with outboards.

a 32 with twin 300 x's runs right around 100. My buddies best speed was 104

T2x
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Well let's see......... hmmmmm?

The Doug Wright 32's are running close to 120 with 2.5's in racing trim.

Many of the 120 mph inboard V bottoms that I encounter run about 80.... so a solid 100-110 mph 32' OB cat is still one of the fastest boats on the water.

Also, in case you haven't noticed........ I love OB's. I understand them, they perform amazingly, and they don't have all that obnoxious noise at the dock.

But I am certainly the exception in this regard too........

Before they made me.....they broke the mold.... :D :D

smokeybandit
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
"Many of the 120 mph inboard V bottoms that I encounter run about 80.... so a solid 100-110 mph 32' OB cat is still one of the fastest boats on the water."

This is one of the funniest quotes ever Rich! I think that GPS has taken most of the personality out of performance boating. It's much harder to lie about how fast you are.

Ratickle
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
they don't have all that obnoxious noise at the dock.

That's no way to talk about your friends.......:sifone:

Top Banana
05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Also, in case you haven't noticed........ I love OB's. I understand them, they perform amazingly, and they don't have all that obnoxious noise at the dock.

But I am certainly the exception in this regard too........ :D

Back in the day when we doubled the oil for the outboard race boats, the people at the dock would always comment about the big blue cloud around the motors.

They seemed to understand when I explained that Mercury was the marine division of Studebaker.

Ratickle
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Back in the day when we doubled the oil for the outboard race boats, the people at the dock would always comment about the big blue cloud around the motors.

They seemed to understand when I explained that Mercury was the marine division of Studebaker.

Did you use Castor oil?:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I hear all the time that it's a "Skater Nation". ;) Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm right.:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
over the years when i was employed at Skater doing quite a few motor wells on 32 Skater A 's there was a time when a employee was given the opportunity to go out on Lake Mich and break in the motors on a 32 A when liabilty was not a factor with either triple 2,4's or 5 's and when all was said and done talk about a rush along with the sound . T2X i have to say that i might have met you when you were at Skater talking with Pete in the break room on a fri afternoon , Pete flagged me in to say that he would not be long and have a seat but i could be wrong !:rofl:

MarylandMark
05-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Also, in case you haven't noticed........ I love OB's.

Me 2.

I should have looked it up before opening my trap but then again I never do that so why start now.

Skater has the 32 w/300's running 100-103 which without a doubt is fast but I would think the average Skater owner would feel it would be a dog.

justgolf
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
so was that a 50 in the pic??? anymore more pic's of that boat

detail toyz
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
That place is cool I was there last summer. (The Skater Factory that is)

detail toyz
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
More........ and yes those are bazooka tubes on the blue cat.

Flat deck is really a misnomer.... The correct term should be custom deck, because, unlike the competition, there are few straight lines on a Skater deck...... or sides for that matter. If you don't think that is significant than why didn't mother nature make an egg in the shape of a cube?

What is that, a 50SS what is up with that boat?????

Ya too bad Peter wasnt there when I stoped by, I talked to him on the phone once and hes a crack up cool guy.

T2x
06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
over the years when i was employed at Skater doing quite a few motor wells on 32 Skater A 's there was a time when a employee was given the opportunity to go out on Lake Mich and break in the motors on a 32 A when liabilty was not a factor with either triple 2,4's or 5 's and when all was said and done talk about a rush along with the sound . T2X i have to say that i might have met you when you were at Skater talking with Pete in the break room on a fri afternoon , Pete flagged me in to say that he would not be long and have a seat but i could be wrong !:rofl:

Could be........

T2x

glh
06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
...T2X i have to say that i might have met you when... :rofl:He's easy to spot...

Little old bat fully gray for what he has left and makes up for the chrome dome with the Obama sticker by having some facial hair and a not so bright look in his eyes...

:eek:

T2x
06-01-2009, 11:56 AM
He's easy to spot...

Little old bat fully gray for what he has left and makes up for the chrome dome with the Obama sticker by having some facial hair and a not so bright look in his eyes...

:eek:

That's 100% correct...except for the Obama sticker part...

It's a Goldwater sticker.

Dude! Sweet!
06-01-2009, 12:00 PM
That's 100% correct...except for the Obama sticker part...

It's a Goldwater sticker.

In your heart, you know he might... :sifone: