PDA

View Full Version : My Next Boat

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Sometime in the next couple years:
I think I know what my next boat is going to be. I think my next boat is going to be a 32' Spectre. I currently have a 29' Fountain which is a fun boat with a 500 EFI and runs low to mid 70's but I think I want to move into a cat. I live in Southern CA and boat mostly in Havasu and like boating in the ocean as well, making runs from Newport to Catalina, etc. The questions I have are:

What do you guys think at the 32' size vs. a V for the rougher water running? Or, should I look into getting a 35 Fountain or a 38 Top Gun?

The other reason I like the though of going to a cat is the speed. I can do reasonable power, (2) 525's or 700's and easily break the century mark.

Also: I will be attending the Tres Martin class to learn to drive this boat as I've never really driven a cat. I've actually never been in a big cat.

Dude! Sweet!
05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
James,

Do it.

Sincerely,

Future frequent passenger in your 32' cat.

:D

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
James,

Do it.

Sincerely,

Future frequent passenger in your 32' cat.

:D

HAHA, What's up Sean.? A spectre over a Pantera?

Dude! Sweet!
05-23-2009, 12:55 AM
I just picked up a Pantera race boat, but was VERY close to buying a cat (race boat). I really want a tunnel hull, but it's going to have to wait a bit. I'd be very happy to ride in yours anytime though! :D

Married life agreeing with you so far?

Why Spectre over Skater or Motion?

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I just picked up a Pantera race boat, but was VERY close to buying a cat (race boat). I really want a tunnel hull, but it's going to have to wait a bit. I'd be very happy to ride in yours anytime though! :D

Married life agreeing with you so far?

Why Spectre over Skater or Motion?

They seem to be much more aggresivley priced over the skaters and I don't know much about Motion's. When are we going out in your new Pantera?

P.S. Is your signature line a quote of your life experience so far? J/k I just couldn't resist. :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
05-23-2009, 01:17 AM
100% :D

The race boat probably won't be together until fall. It's just a fun little side project to give me something to do in all my free time (ha ha ha, see my sig line again!) :D

So you going to hit the water this weekend? I'm taking the 24 our tomorrow and Sunday if I don't break it tomorrow.

cosmic12
05-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Sean, did ya get them? I haven't heard anything so I asmue everything is cool?

Beak Boater
05-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Cats are very stable rides, alot of fun, and more speed for the horsepower. If you have no cat experience, I would make a call to your insurance co. For first time owners it can be very costly, if you can get insurance at all. Looked at a 32 at the Miami show when they first came out. Talked with Jay Pilini(sp) and was close to working a deal. Loved the 32. Good luck.

Chris
05-23-2009, 10:07 AM
The comments on insurance are right on. It can be unimaginably expensive for a first-timer.

The other issue is the rough water. There's going to be an enormous difference between a 32 cat and a Top Gun. And a 35 Fountain only has the bottom of a 31' boat. They include a swim platform and the nose extension in that length. The equivalent boat to the TG in the Fountain line is the 42.

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 10:13 AM
The comments on insurance are right on. It can be unimaginably expensive for a first-timer.

The other issue is the rough water. There's going to be an enormous difference between a 32 cat and a Top Gun. And a 35 Fountain only has the bottom of a 31' boat. They include a swim platform and the nose extension in that length. The equivalent boat to the TG in the Fountain line is the 42.

Good info. I know cats are harder to get insurance on but I didn't think a 32 with somewhat mild power (525's) would be too bad, but that's my ignorance I guess. The other thing is I live next to the Pacific and it doesn't get that rough but I would deffinately do the 36' if I could afford it. As I mentioned in my first post, I've never even been in a big cat but I hope for a ride sooner then later. Keep the comments comming.

Something just like this is exactly what I want:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2008_motion_35_xp-o28632-en.html

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Good info. I know cats are harder to get insurance on but I didn't think a 32 with somewhat mild power (525's) would be too bad, but that's my ignorance I guess. The other thing is I live next to the Pacific and it doesn't get that rough but I would deffinately do the 36' if I could afford it. As I mentioned in my first post, I've never even been in a big cat but I hope for a ride sooner then later. Keep the comments comming.

Something just like this is exactly what I want:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2008_motion_35_xp-o28632-en.html

You would be surprised.

The difference for me, and I already had 3 boats insured with them, was $800 for the 43 Black Thunder vs $7500 for the 39 Ocean Express. No way for me to justify that.

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Isn't that 37 Talon in the Classifieds a good deal with the three new OB's?

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Isn't that 37 Talon in the Classifieds a good deal with the three new OB's?

There are a ton of great deals out there right now, but as I mentioned in my first post, this is something in the distant future. Maybe I will be buying a used 09 that is 2 or 3 years old. I like to do this though because it helps to keep me motivated at work because I have something to look forward too.

HPBoats83
05-23-2009, 01:23 PM
You would be surprised.

The difference for me, and I already had 3 boats insured with them, was $800 for the 43 Black Thunder vs $7500 for the 39 Ocean Express. No way for me to justify that.

If those numbers are accurate (which I'm sure they are and I'm not doubting you) it might be more cost effective to go buy a top gun and up some money into more HP. That may be more cost effective because the difference in insurance money is a ongoing cost (assuming those rates are per year) and the HP is a one time fee basically.

Then again I guess the HP wouldn't be an ongoing thing because now you would be shortening the lifespan of the boat engines because of mods (whipples, etc) vs. having (2) stock engines. So much to think about.

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 07:12 PM
If those numbers are accurate (which I'm sure they are and I'm not doubting you) it might be more cost effective to go buy a top gun and up some money into more HP. That may be more cost effective because the difference in insurance money is a ongoing cost (assuming those rates are per year) and the HP is a one time fee basically.

Then again I guess the HP wouldn't be an ongoing thing because now you would be shortening the lifespan of the boat engines because of mods (whipples, etc) vs. having (2) stock engines. So much to think about.

That's why we bought the Black Thunder instead of the OE. First time buyers for a cat that goes over 74 mph is a killer. Even something as big as a 39 OE.

What gets me is bass boats are good up to 80 for the reasonable insurers (State Farm, Geico, etc.)

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
There are a ton of great deals out there right now, but as I mentioned in my first post, this is something in the distant future. Maybe I will be buying a used 09 that is 2 or 3 years old. I like to do this though because it helps to keep me motivated at work because I have something to look forward too.

If you are waiting that long, I'd still start looking into insurance now. If tis same thing holds true for you, you could buy a small cat now, take Tres course, and probably cut your insurance expense in half in that much time. Pay for the small cat from the savings......

But start looking into it now to find out.

Chris
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Good advice. Length is a big issue with cats. If you get into an under 100mph cat at 26' or less, the next step is going to be somewhat less expensive.

fast fun 2
05-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Id take that 32 in rough water over a 35 fountain or a TG. There all good, but I prefere skipping over the wave snot pushing through them. Spectres a great boat, we took a 36 to a National Championship and damn close to w world.

HPBoats83
05-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Any other opinions?