PDA

View Full Version : Fishing boat accident.

gerritm
05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Just heard about this in LA. RIP.

Officials: 5 dead in Louisiana boating accident

May 21 01:56 PM US/Eastern
Comments (0) Share on Facebook

HOUMA, La. (AP) - Louisiana officials say five men in town for a fishing tournament died when their 24-foot aluminum boat ran under one end of a barge.
Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Captain Samuel Martin says the boat hit the barge late Wednesday but wasn't discovered until Thursday morning.

Martin says all bodies have been recovered, and investigators are working to notify the men's families. He did not know whether they were local.

It happened about 60 miles southwest of New Orleans on the Falgout (FAHL'-goo) Canal between Theriot (TERRY-oh) and Dulac (DOO-lak). The barge was being used to stablilize the bank.

Ernie Bennett, who is on the board of the Houma Oilman's Invitational Fishing Tournament, says the men were entered in the tournament that begins Friday.

LaughingCat
05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Damn. Wonder if they were decapitated like the Atlanta pitchers years ago. My condolences to all.

Sea-Dated
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
That sucks

Ratickle
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
So the barge was anchored/stationary?

gerritm
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
So the barge was anchored/stationary?

Sounds like it, hopefully there will be more reported on this.I know here we have several barges anchored in our channels. I wouldn't be comfortable going out at night in any of the intercoastal waterways, there are barges anchored everywhere. Not all are marked or have lights. The article just says "late" Wednesday. Not sure if it was night.

Dock Holiday
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Falgout (FAHL'-goo) Theriot (TERRY-oh) and Dulac (DOO-lak)

Sorry to hear this it is very sad.

I think I would stay clear of places named that.

Buoy
05-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Very sad. RIP.

Possibly navigating by GPS?

Wobble
05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Sounds like it, hopefully there will be more reported on this.I know here we have several barges anchored in our channels. I wouldn't be comfortable going out at night in any of the intercoastal waterways, there are barges anchored everywhere. Not all are marked or have lights. The article just says "late" Wednesday. Not sure if it was night.

Chronicle said they were last seen at 10pm so I'd assume it was late at night.

Barges are such a concern to me on the ship channel that I wont boat at night anymore unless it's a full moon with a clear sky.

Tragic

johnny g
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
What a terrible accedent. Thats the second one close to home in a week. Last weekend three young guys collided with another boat while running at night and died, one from the other boat in critical condition. Summer is just getting started and already...

inbetween
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
It's always sad to hear this news. RIP and my condolences to all friends and family involved

johnny g
05-26-2009, 07:27 AM
post active
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/45969742.html