PDA

View Full Version : Commercial air compressors.....questions/need one ASAP

t500hps
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Commercial air compressors.....questions/need one ASAP

Who here sells these things. I had someone handling things like this for me in the past but this one is falling on my shoulders. I've got a new piece of equipment coming and need more "house-air".

What size/brand should I consider or stay away from?
I need to run a max of 56 CFM @50 PSI AND 25 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Will need a dryer, aftercooler, auto-drain, and starter???

Thanks,
Russ C.

BBB725
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Commercial air compressors.....questions/need one ASAP

Who here sells these things. I had someone handling things like this for me in the past but this one is falling on my shoulders. I've got a new piece of equipment coming and need more "house-air".

What size/brand should I consider or stay away from?
I need to run a max of 56 CFM @50 PSI AND 25 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Will need a dryer, aftercooler, auto-drain, and starter???

Thanks,
Russ C.

I don't sell them but have a couple in my shop. Do you have a compressor now? What type and size?
Do you want a reciprocating or screw? How much pressure do you want to hold in the lines? How many hours a day will it run? What size line are you running from the compressor to the equipment? Is the factory heated and air conditioned?

t500hps
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
We have 3 currently....a 30hp screw with a 30hp reciprocating backup tied in for "house-air" across most of the building. The other is a 10hp dedicated to one machine that was added a few years ago. These have worked fine for what we have pulling off them. The new machine needs 100cfm but 20 of it can be pulled from the existing house air line in that area. The other 80 CFM (at 90PSI) needs to be supplied by a new machine....approx a 25hp machine.
It should run 8 hours a day, maybe 2 shifts a year from now. Lines to this equipment do not exist yet but will be 1.5 or 2 in. Factory has air/heat, but since we are dealing with paper the air must be dried and cooled extremely well.

WARPARTY36
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I researched air compressors recently(Ingressol,Gardner Denver, & Atlas Copco) and we went with Atlas Copco. We bought 2 75HP Variable Speed Drive comressors to run in tandem. With the VSD, you are only making the air that you need so it saves electricity. Ours have built in driers, and are EXTREMELY quiet. They make a nice, neat all in one package.

http://productpagesct.atlascopco.com/EN/US/stationary-compressors.html

Chris
05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I own one of the larger commercial equipment distribution businesses in the Midwest. We deal with compressord daily. My personal favorite is the Saylor-Beall. They're the best bang-for-the-buck and the most easily serviceable. We are under contract to several very large corporations to keep their equipment available every minute of the day, every day of the year. And these contract holders all have my cel number. We use the Saylor because they rarely have issues.

On air, it depends what you're using the air for and how much moisture is in your local atmosphere. In the deep south, separators are a requirement and dryers are preferrable. A quality dryer will basically double the cost of the compressor. Duty cycle becomes your next consideration. For a few bucks more you can get a pressure-lubricated unit that will run longer during the day and for more days in it's lifetime.

Your requirements are pretty much right on a 5 hp dual-stage unit. Before I went to a 7.5, I'd go to a tandem 5 with dual heads. You'll save lots on electricity yet have the reserve when you need it. Basically one runs on refill, then the other. If the demand peaks, you'll have both come on at the same time. You save because you're starting a smaller motor. If you have really high demand, you'll want to move to a constant-run with unloader setup. When the tank is refreshed, the unloader opens and the compressor freewheels. Much cheaper than restarting continually.

PM me and we can talk.

cosmic12
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
While we are on this subject, I just bought a 5hp 2 stage 80gal tank IR compressor for my garage at home. I need a good water trap drier and regulator. Where and what is a good unit? And this is just for home guys so I don't run all the time but want to save my air tools and will want to be painting. Whos got what?

MacGyver
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I own one of the larger commercial equipment distribution businesses in the Midwest. We deal with compressord daily. My personal favorite is the Saylor-Beall. They're the best bang-for-the-buck and the most easily serviceable. We are under contract to several very large corporations to keep their equipment available every minute of the day, every day of the year. And these contract holders all have my cel number. We use the Saylor because they rarely have issues.

On air, it depends what you're using the air for and how much moisture is in your local atmosphere. In the deep south, separators are a requirement and dryers are preferrable. A quality dryer will basically double the cost of the compressor. Duty cycle becomes your next consideration. For a few bucks more you can get a pressure-lubricated unit that will run longer during the day and for more days in it's lifetime.

Your requirements are pretty much right on a 5 hp dual-stage unit. Before I went to a 7.5, I'd go to a tandem 5 with dual heads. You'll save lots on electricity yet have the reserve when you need it. Basically one runs on refill, then the other. If the demand peaks, you'll have both come on at the same time. You save because you're starting a smaller motor. If you have really high demand, you'll want to move to a constant-run with unloader setup. When the tank is refreshed, the unloader opens and the compressor freewheels. Much cheaper than restarting continually.

PM me and we can talk.

What don't you know Chris? I'm impressed.

Chris
05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
If you're going to be in business, you'd better know as much as everyone you're going to be coming in contact with. Either that or get used to being fish food.