Wardey
05-15-2009, 09:34 AM
By RAY REYES | The Tampa Tribune
and NATALIE SHEPHERD | News Channel 8

Published: May 14, 2009

Updated: 07:53 am

Related Links

Another victim used his baby to escape carjacking
TAMPA - A woman was touching up her makeup in her car Monday when a stranger opened an unlocked door and sat down.

The man pointed a gun at her and said, "Get out."

The woman pulled out her own gun and told the man the same thing.

"I told him he needed to get out and he screamed and yelled and jumped out of the car," said the 31-year-old woman. "He didn't expect me to pull a gun on him. That was my advantage. So once he was surprised, I knew I had the upper hand."

TBO.com is not naming the woman while the suspect is at large.

The man ran down a hill and got into a getaway car parked near 3900 W. Kennedy Blvd., she said.

The incident is one of six carjackings or attempted carjackings that have occurred near Kennedy and West Shore boulevards over the past two weeks, Tampa police say.

"We've got to catch these guys before they end up hurting someone else or worse," Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said. "As these suspects have progressed, they have become bolder. They started out doing these at nighttime. Now they're doing them in broad daylight."

Detectives have arrested one man they say is connected to the carjackings and are looking for two other men. The first suspect is black, in his mid- to late 20s, about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build, short hair and crooked teeth. The man has a medium complexion and is right-handed.

The second suspect is black, in his mid-20s, shorter than 6 feet tall, with a thin build and a chipped or missing tooth. He was last seen wearing chrome rectangular prescription eyeglasses.

The first attempted carjacking was reported on April 27 at the BP gas station on 4139 W. Kennedy Blvd. The most recent incidents occurred Monday. In most cases, the suspects approached people who were alone and had just gotten out of their homes or vehicles or were about to enter them, police say.

"In all of these cases, they targeted people who were alone," McElroy said. "Criminals are opportunists. You don't want to create the opportunity to end up a victim.''

Magic Medicine
05-15-2009, 10:17 AM
that is awesome

Ratickle
05-15-2009, 10:36 AM
She should have shot him.

I'd love to see a stupid liberal prosecutor take that one to court....:sifone:

clayinaustin
05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
She should have shot him.

I'd love to see a stupid liberal prosecutor take that one to court....:sifone:

In Texas she could have shot him and under the Castle Doctrine she would not be charged.

Does Florida have the same Castle Doctrine?

cigdaze
05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
In Texas she could have shot him and under the Castle Doctrine she would not be charged.

Does Florida have the same Castle Doctrine?

You betchyerazz we do...she was in her car, and felt threatened, that's all she needed. She should have blown the POS away.

Wardey
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
In Florida, our Castle Doctrine reads basically if you have a roof over your head ad a bad guy enters, you have the right to lethal defense. This goes for your home, garage,car port, office, tent or autotmotive. Dave

TurboJoe
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
You betchyerazz we do...she was in her car, and felt threatened, that's all she needed. She should have blown the POS away.

Yeah, but then you have to clean the car.

Ratickle
05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Good point....:ack2:

Sea-Dated
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM

I am sure plent of people would chip in to pay for a detail. I know I would.

cigdaze
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Call in the Wolf.
;)

enforcer28
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure in any state if you are faced with someone who is threatening bodily harm , you have the right to defend yourself to whatever extent is necessary to insure your safety. not to say that she wouldn't have been charged with carrying a concieled weapon with out the proper permit (if she didn't have a CWP). but either way i think its well worth the trouble to send a message to the community that your in that if the police cant stop it the citizens will.
also a blood stain in the car would be a best case , more likely at close range with anything 9mm or larger there would be bodywork to the passenger door and a really nice story to go along with it. i would leave the round primer spot where the hole was filled , kinda like a badge of glory , just my .02

fund razor
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I have often wondered whether Chris was unarmed when he was carjacked recently. He gave them the keys. I didn't want to ask.

Guess it doesn't matter because he is alive for his daughter's prom. Probably beats a gunfight, if you can swing it.

I am a gun owner, btw. I just wondered because I didn't know.

MattBMiller
05-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Hell yea!

fund razor
05-15-2009, 06:56 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/5567/family-guy-carjacking