PDA

View Full Version : What are my odds

Seafordguy
05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Alright - Lay it on me. What are my odds of boating Memorial Day weekend?

Beginning reassemble tomorrow after work and I THINK that I have ALL the necessary parts. Been through the Microfiche a couple times, and when in doubt just ordered the new part/gasket/oring.

This is my first time so what do you guys think? Any chance in hell?

MarylandMark
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I rootin for ya!

Ratickle
05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Piece of cake....

How many friends live close?????

t500hps
05-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Depends on how much help you have....last winter 4 of us pulled 2 engines and transom assemblies. Replaced gimbal rings in both assemblies and re-installed both motors over one weekend.

Seafordguy
05-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Friends won't show up until it is in the water and full of beer, and none of them own/or know how to work a wrench anyways so they'd just be in the way.

Brother and Father are within shouting distance when I need a second set of hands....

MattBMiller
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
No problem!

Seafordguy
05-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I love this unbridaled enthusiasm-keep it coming.

lucky strike
05-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Get er done.

MacGyver
05-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Friends won't show up until it is in the water and full of beer, and none of them own/or know how to work a wrench anyways so they'd just be in the way.

Brother and Father are within shouting distance when I need a second set of hands....

Tell your friends.......no help for you, no beer/boat for them :cheers2: Anyone could use a second set of hands.

JupiterSunsation
05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Memorial Day 2010?

My guess is you will have it done but be short a part or two to prevent you from turning the keys in two weeks.

BDiggity
05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
HOLY CHIT! & i thought my interior resto was tough. The hard part is done for you, should be piece of cake to get it back together. Godspeed. :26:

Audiofn
05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
You have all next week off right? :D

I would be shocked if you can pull it off unless you do have the entire week off. Take your time and don't rush it. If you miss memorial day it is better then missing a big time part and blowing crap up.

go4broke
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
It could be done. Jon is right take your time, it's faster to do it slow once, than fast twice.
Call into work and get it done. Thats how I got my exhaust polished!

Seafordguy
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
You have all next week off right? :D

I won't be around tomorrow or next friday at the closing bell, but other than that I plan on working each day.

I think it is doable, my biggest fear is that I am missing a part here or there....

OldSchool
05-14-2009, 09:37 PM
It could be done. Jon is right take your time, it's faster to do it slow once, than fast twice.

Don't listen to Jon!!!!!!!!

He took a week off about 8 years ago to put a fiberglass fairing on his Formula. How's that going Jon?????????????

:sifone::26::sifone::26::rofl:

Sean Stinson
05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I won't be around tomorrow or next friday at the closing bell, but other than that I plan on working each day.

I think it is doable, my biggest fear is that I am missing a part here or there....

How good are you at turning wrenches thats about 3-5 days of work by yourself as long as you have someone to run the forklift for you for about 30 mins in 15 minute interval per mtr.....I am rooting for pal so hike your skirt up and get to it!!!!

Perlmudder
05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
make it happen!

Airpacker
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
just giive up sleep and you have plenty of time :)

Seafordguy
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
HOLY CHIT! & i thought my interior resto was tough. The hard part is done for you, should be piece of cake to get it back together. Godspeed. :26:

Bryan - I hope to do what you are doing next fall/winter so keep what you did fresh in your mind

just giive up sleep and you have plenty of time :)

I am thinking this is the answer.....

Don't plan on drinking anything this weekend so that I don't get "sidetracked"

Seafordguy
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
How good are you at turning wrenches thats about 3-5 days of work by yourself as long as you have someone to run the forklift for you for about 30 mins in 15 minute interval per mtr.....I am rooting for pal so hike your skirt up and get to it!!!!

Yeah - I am worried it is 3 or 4 days too the first time. I can rummage up help to lower the motors in with the gantry crane.

I am antsy to blow off today and get to work. Definitely not going to make it to 5:30. Hell I think 2:30 might be pushing it.....

ChiefApache
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Memorial Day weekend in these parts is generally a wash out! Take your time and don't kill yourself. We have an extra week in May this year so if you don't make it next weekend, there's always May 29 or 30.

CRT
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Too bad Virginia is so far away. I would lend a hand. Just take it easy, and get it done. One step at a time. Don't rush it, or it will take longer to correct. Make a list and prioritize. Take pictures. Looking good.

JupiterSunsation
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't plan on drinking anything this weekend so that I don't get "sidetracked"

That is the best part........a 12 pack into it you will be will be quoting Don Aronow to your buddies, talking about that race you had one time with that Apache etc etc.....:sifone:

Trim'd Up
05-15-2009, 05:58 PM
The little parts are what kills ya. I am just riding for memorial day, although I should stay home and work on the boat. I am shooting for July 4th myself.

fund razor
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Good luck.
I would have said you are screwed, but with a heroic effort.... two weeks could happen. Work is busy for me... so I am thinking 4th of July on mine.

Audiofn
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Don't listen to Jon!!!!!!!!

He took a week off about 8 years ago to put a fiberglass fairing on his Formula. How's that going Jon?????????????

:sifone::26::sifone::26::rofl:

Going well, I think I was in the water before you this year!!! :26::26:

Not the same boat but never the less in the water with a Formula :D

Seafordguy
05-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Got them reassembled, and on the boat yesterday....

Had to make an emergency run for a new lower shift cable - don't ask ($103 - Screw you Mercruiser)

Just noticed we have an auto resizer on the pictures. Nice feature.

fund razor
05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Looking good. I hope that the weather cooperates, you seem to be making headway.

t500hps
05-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Hope you can put a tarp over that gantry and get her finished up!!!! :)

Seafordguy
05-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Looking good. I hope that the weather cooperates, you seem to be making headway.

POURING RAIN HERE. I think it is going to rain all day...

Hope you can put a tarp over that gantry and get her finished up!!!! :)

I think it is going to be a washout....

fund razor
05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
POURING RAIN HERE. I think it is going to rain all day...
I think it is going to be a washout....

That sucks. I have lost the last two weekends, but an hoping to spend some quality time in the bilge today. I just need to recruit a buddy to help me lift my hatch. :D

Offshoreracr
05-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Keep plugging away. You will "get r done". What problems did you have?

Seafordguy
05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
That sucks. I have lost the last two weekends, but an hoping to spend some quality time in the bilge today. I just need to recruit a buddy to help me lift my hatch. :D

I recruited 7 from the neighborhood. 4 of them were convinced it "won't be that heavy" - dumbasses. Also - none of them were taller than about 5'8" so that made it more interesting.

Keep plugging away. You will "get r done". What problems did you have?

Swivel seals were leaking. Took the opportunity to have the assemblies blasted, painted, and replace EVERYTHING (Bellows, bearings, washers, seals - you name it.)

Magic Medicine
05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Got them reassembled, and on the boat yesterday....

Had to make an emergency run for a new lower shift cable - don't ask ($103 - Screw you Mercruiser)

Just noticed we have an auto resizer on the pictures. Nice feature.

lookin good.

Whats left motors and drives???? That sound be easy if you have some experienced help

Seafordguy
05-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Since last Sunday was a washout I blew off work half day today.

One engine in and fired up, the other in with 1 mount bolt but not fired up. The bugs got SO bad I had to call it quits about 8:30.

Had a midweek setback when I broke the manifold assembly that splits the hydraulic line under the Gimbal Assembly. Found one locally and bought new rams as well. Unfortunately had to spend a couple nights sanding/painting/drying those.

Hope to take it to the ramp tomorrow, but I know what they say about the best laid plans....

t500hps
05-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Good luck, your real close so GET IT DONE.....I know what you mean about the bugs. About 8:00 I was packing the boat to leave for the lake at 7:00AM and found a small puddle of drive fluid under my just installed SPARE drive (whole nother story why that's on the boat!!!). Anyway, I just got in from taking the drive apart looking for the leak.......8,000 bug bites later, let's hope I fixed it!

Seafordguy
05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Good luck, your real close so GET IT DONE.....I know what you mean about the bugs. About 8:00 I was packing the boat to leave for the lake at 7:00AM and found a small puddle of drive fluid under my just installed SPARE drive (whole nother story why that's on the boat!!!). Anyway, I just got in from taking the drive apart looking for the leak.......8,000 bug bites later, let's hope I fixed it!

OH - I am SO sad to hear about your horrendous leak on your SPARE drive!!!! That's a real ****ing sob story.....

You guys have fun this weekend - don't do anything I wouldn't. Let's try to get together before Jammin'.:26::26:

t500hps
05-23-2009, 06:53 AM
OH - I am SO sad to hear about your horrendous leak on your SPARE drive!!!! That's a real ****ing sob story.....

You guys have fun this weekend - don't do anything I wouldn't. Let's try to get together before Jammin'.:26::26:

Haha.......but the spare is ON the boat cause the other one needs gears (waiting on them to arrive). If this one has problems I have no chance of boating this weekend.

WE should get together. We are regularly on the Chick and usually go to Harborfest every year..but this year it's moved to July 4th and we won't make it.

Call me when you can.

Seafordguy
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Everything is back in, drives on, tested, hatch back on, ready for a THOROUGH cleaning and a trip to the gas station.....

Davidmnc
05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Great job. Fingers crossed for yea to have a fun filled trouble free week end!!!!

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Everything is back in, drives on, tested, hatch back on, ready for a THOROUGH cleaning and a trip to the gas station.....

I knew you could do it.......:sifone:

Waiting for results......:drool5:

Buoy
05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats in getting her done.
Look forward to hearing positive results on the shakedown.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Good job. Enjoy the weekend.

Seafordguy
05-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Everything ran well - doesn't APPEAR to have any leaks/concerns.

Biggest problem at this point is that I Effed up a prop when I got back to my dock because I am a retard.

Worst part of the day was cranking up the engine without having the return line to the Power Steering hooked up. What a MESS!!! The EPA will surely be ****ed.

Ratickle
05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Everything ran well - doesn't APPEAR to have any leaks/concerns.

Biggest problem at this point is that I Effed up a prop when I got back to my dock because I am a retard.

Worst part of the day was cranking up the engine without having the return line to the Power Steering hooked up. What a MESS!!! The EPA will surely be ****ed.

Good to hear. Well, almost.:sifone:

BillR
05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
We put 2 motors in Jons boat last Monday - took about 4 hours. 99% rigged too.
Even with some major issues, he was on the water Friday.

Audiofn
05-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Good job man!! I have yet to get my boat in this weekend cuz the weather has not been cooperating at all!!!!

LaughingCat
05-24-2009, 08:47 AM
GTFO, you're int he water today? I was certain your only hope as to lobby congress for an offical Memorial Day delay into June. Congrats.