PDA

View Full Version : Hull length vs Cost

stormrider
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
This I guess this is based on some mental masturbation, but i need some help.:26:

Two twin engine boats to be built.
Both are built as basic poker run boats.
Both have same power/drives and rigging.
Cockpits are set up as 3man(standup bolster or sitdown PPI) + rear bench.
Simple, but very functional dash.
No cabin, or 2 facing benches at most... crawl under dash entry.

One boat is 28ft, the other is 36.

What really should the price difference be?

Sea-Dated
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Interesting question. I am curious to hear the answer.

Ratickle
05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm going with an additional 20%. :sifone:

cigdaze
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Very little, actually. I remember reading not too long ago, that the exact reason Cigarette stopped building the 30' Vice was because it cost just about as much to tool and build it as the 38, but they couldn't command the same price for a 30' as a 38'.

Seafordguy
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Very little, actually. I remember reading not too long ago, that the exact reason Cigarette stopped building the 30' Vice was because it cost just about as much to tool and build it as the 38, but they couldn't command the same price for a 30' as a 38'.

I've seen that several times as a reason why CIG and others (OL, NORTECH) don't offer anything below the 35' range anymore....

stormrider
05-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Kinda my point...
They wont build smaller cause its not saving much.
But on the flip side, when a builder goes bigger the price jumps bigtime!

Dude! Sweet!
05-14-2009, 04:35 PM
When you're done with mental masturbation, do you have to wipe your nose? :D

Intersting point Rob.

stormrider
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
When you're done with mental masturbation, do you have to wipe your nose? :D

Intersting point Rob.

Hence my problem... w/ the mental version, i never finish.:rofl:

PARADOX
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Additional materials.. little.... some gel, FG a gal or two of gelcoat or paint, fabric, a few more hours of layup. some hardware, one more hatch may be. etc.
The price effect the end users state of mind... not the cost of building it. Some one wants to get a "longer" boat may be willing to pay for it, even if the actual cost not there.
It's like buying an SUV... vs. a four door pick up. The interior is the same.. but one is called an SUV.. therefore some soccer Mom would pay more to get les just so it's called and SUV.. not a truck.. "I got a "bigger" boat then you got.. and I paid $75,000 + for it and all I got is 1000 Lb of fiberglass. "
However.. a bigger boat will ride better. An SUV and a PU truck about the same. :)

Chris
05-14-2009, 06:12 PM
The difference is about a thousand pounds. The material and labor cost at retail is going to be about $18 bucks a pound. Couple bucks in rigging. The rub comes when trying to run that same speed with 20 to 25% more weight and about the same or more in hydrodynamic drag- then you need more power. If you look at the difference between the 700/NXT's and the 1075/6's, you're looking at almost $130K ADDITIONAL in upcharge from the smaller power at today's street prices. I'm guessing about half that from 525's/XR's.

Buoy
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Somewhat off topic, but the impact on the cost of ownership would be quite a bit over a period of time.

How many times do you have to pay for something "by the foot"?
Docking fees
Storage fees
Shrink wrap
etc...
it might be chump change at the moment, but if you add it all up...

MarylandMark
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM

+1

38' = $500K so paying by the foot makes a 30' = $395K

Lot of coin for a 30; not so much for a 38

(relative of course because both are a lot of coin to me)

Ratickle
05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
+1

38' = $500K so paying by the foot makes a 30' = $395K

Lot of coin for a 30; not so much for a 38

(relative of course because both are a lot of coin to me)

But, engines, rigging, etc is half the cost and it stays the exact same in his scenario. Only the cost of the hull increases and that is a 21% increase in material. Next to nothing in labor difference.

stormrider
05-14-2009, 11:14 PM
The difference is about a thousand pounds. The material and labor cost at retail is going to be about $18 bucks a pound. Couple bucks in rigging. The rub comes when trying to run that same speed with 20 to 25% more weight and about the same or more in hydrodynamic drag- then you need more power. If you look at the difference between the 700/NXT's and the 1075/6's, you're looking at almost $130K ADDITIONAL in upcharge from the smaller power at today's street prices. I'm guessing about half that from 525's/XR's.

kinda outta the $ range.
Lets get a bit more specific.
Engines: 383 SBC 475/475 (hp/tq) + b1s...should run each of these fine:
28pantera
31 sutphen
33 active thunder
Again... all can be light layup, no cockpit liner, no cabin.
And all these would run in the 80s w/ this power and no problems w/ b1s.
Only issue now would be different builders/different prices.
Hence why i said 28/36...Pantera, but those sbc's wouldn't push a 36enough, so i'd have to add $ for some 550hp bbcs.
BUT i don't wanna get into a power/$ ****ing match.
I got all my #s for power.
This is about the glass... and w/ no cabin, liner and a light layup, the boat wont be that heavy anyways.

stormrider
05-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Somewhat off topic, but the impact on the cost of ownership would be quite a bit over a period of time.

How many times do you have to pay for something "by the foot"?
Docking fees
Storage fees
Shrink wrap
etc...
it might be chump change at the moment, but if you add it all up...

Possibly, but you're talking peanuts compared to the full ownership costs.
Dockage: $105/ft for 12mo indoor rack storage = $800/yr
shrink wrap? what another $150-200? indoor, no need for that anyways
maybe going to fire island a few times a yr will cost you an extra $30 the few times i'd go...
All really nothing when you're talking building a boat 120-150k.

There's much more than upfront costs... the ongoing upkeep of these HP boats is what's killer. Been there done that... and hence no boat currently.
And w/ the 2 boats having same rigging, the upkeep should be relatively the same.