PDA

View Full Version : Key West

ar15meister
05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to the world championships.

Anyone know of a good contact for Condo/house rentals?

Anyone know of a good deal at a NICe resort?

What are the dates exactly?

Tony
05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I suppose I should start looking into that myself.

sellsman11
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Save your money.....Bobcat said that we could ALL crash at his place!!:biggrinjester:

Pat D
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
The dates are Nov. 8 thru 15.......races on wed., fri., and sunday.
There are many nice resorts/condos and homes, and they are being booked already.
Only advice I have is to make your plans asap.
You will have a great time.....guaranteed.
Good luck....
Pat D. SBI

Ratickle
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM

We stayed here last Worlds. Really nice place. A long walk to the other end of Duval was the only issue.

http://www.santamariasuites.com/

Davidmnc
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Save your money.....Bobcat said that we could ALL crash at his place!!:biggrinjester:

I got dibs the couch!!! :26:

Sydwayz
05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
www.vrbo.com

Tom A.
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone ever stay at Duval House? It looks like a nice get away place right in the heart of things.

glassdave
05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
used these guys many times and was very very happy with service and ease of use. They have a condo/rental for any budget.

maybe Sunkin can recommend any of the spacious condos available in the Truman annex :D

http://athomeinkeywest.com/

just a side note. go have dinner at Louies Backyard at least once while your there. you wont be sorry.

Cash Bar
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
the hip tourist- A KW native has her hands on every unit/house available. She has never let us down no matter how little notice we gave.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/The.Hip.Tourist.305-292-3332/2009/3/Baby-Rentals-in-Key-West/202403

inbetween
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
maybe Sunkin can recommend any of the spacious condos available in the Truman annex :D

Something I need to know? I think we're booked there somewhere...

glassdave
05-14-2009, 10:07 PM
lol . . . no some how we got the smallest condo in the Annex. It was still nice, just ended up slightly over booked due to my lack of . . . . . hell i dont know what the word is i'm lookin for . . . . . :D

You'll be fine anywhere in the Annex. On the smaller places if it says sleeps four . . . . its because it sleeps four :D

Pat D
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
The new Marriott is not downtown but VERY upscale and fabulous condos.
It's on the corner where the old Holiday Inn used to be and then was BEACHSIDE RESORT. It has a great restaurant but you will need a car or cab rides
YES to Louie's
YES to Truman Annex......walk to Duval, walk to the pits

Also to those who aren't familiar with KW........hotels on the water facing the harbor where the course is.............Ocean Key House, Pier House, Hyatt, Galleon Resort ........balcony units might already be gone.

It's only May 15th and we're talking November, go figure.....:)

inbetween
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I think we're in a six sleeper :) I guess just about anywhere in KW would be an OK place to stay.

BRAVEHEART
05-15-2009, 06:53 AM
www.vrbo.com

That's the best site. Got myself a place with a dock for the week!

Ratickle
05-15-2009, 06:56 AM
lol . . . no some how we got the smallest condo in the Annex. It was still nice, just ended up slightly over booked due to my lack of . . . . . hell i dont know what the word is i'm lookin for . . . . . :D

Is this a contest for us to fill the word in????:sifone:

Bobcat
05-15-2009, 06:56 AM
be advised that anything in the 800 block of duval area is rear entry only:dupe:

Ratickle
05-15-2009, 06:59 AM
be advised that anything in the 800 block of duval area is rear entry only:dupe:

Saw Some of those dudes. Anyone you recognize?

Tom A.
05-15-2009, 07:42 AM
The one with blue hair kind of looks like Stecz!

inbetween
05-15-2009, 07:45 PM

We stayed almost next door to the 801 club last time there...I'm not sure I should have said that out loud...

Tom A.
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I booked a room at the Duval House. It is in the 800 block but on the other side of the street and run by a baptist family so it should be ok! Great looking place, quiet yet in the middle of everything and reasonable! $190 per night on Duval Street within a few blocks of the race pits and the bars!

Davidmnc
05-19-2009, 09:55 AM
We stayed almost next door to the 801 club last time there...I'm not sure I should have said that out loud...

And I am staying with you! :ack2:

dwtinc
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I stayed at the Duval House a couple months ago. Nice clean place but small rooms. It is not a gay place and they want only couples.

wantingmore
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Anyone ever stay at Duval House? It looks like a nice get away place right in the heart of things.

We've stayed there a couple of times. Nice place (what I remember anyway:sifone:) Duval Gardens is about the same.

inbetween
05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
And I am staying with you! :ack2:

:seeya:

Mrs. Gordo
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
We staying in the Truman Complex last year...it was AWSOME...we actually walked into the races. HIGHLY recommed that area...I found ours on Craigslist.

Davidmnc
05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I was just checking into air fare. It's $412.50 to fly into and out of Key West. $159.00 to fly into and out of Miami! Is that normal??? What do most people do? I am not a cheap bastard, but that's a $525.00 difference!!! That would cover my bar tab.................................for a day or two!

Big Time
05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't remember it being that much of a difference, but I do remember it being significant. If you were planning on having a car in KW it might make sense just ot fly to MIA and do the 3 hrs (hopefully) drive. If time is an issue for you do the flight. I've done both depending on how quickly I needed to get into KW.

Bobcat
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
used to be about a hundred bucks difference on the flight to KW( round trip ) if you have never driven US 1 down from miami you should do it, some spectacular scenery.

Davidmnc
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't remember it being that much of a difference, but I do remember it being significant. If you were planning on having a car in KW it might make sense just ot fly to MIA and do the 3 hrs (hopefully) drive. If time is an issue for you do the flight. I've done both depending on how quickly I needed to get into KW.

I'm not in a real time crunch. We are going down on Wednesday 11/11 and returning on Tuesday 11/17 I think. I am just not sure I want to pay for a car rental for a week, and never use it. If I could get Frankie to agree to pick up all my bar tabs, I could rent a limo to drive us around. But that tight SOB won't do it! :biggrinjester:

Davidmnc
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
used to be about a hundred bucks difference on the flight to KW( round trip ) if you have never driven US 1 down from miami you should do it, some spectacular scenery.

I've got a great idea! Bob you pick me up in Miami!!!! :26:

Big Time
05-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I am just not sure I want to pay for a car rental for a week, and never use it. :biggrinjester:

There are a few car rentals in the KW airport...you could literally rent a car in MIA for the 3 hrs drive and drop it off in KW...and do the same on the return. It is a nice drive but getting out of Miami can sometimes be rough (due to traffic).

Pat D
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Flights into and out of KW are usually $100 to 150 more than miami. Fort Lauderdale is usually the best deal, but a longer drive.
The one thing to think about is ......the flights out of key west on that sunday night and monday morning book up fast as there are limited airlines and flights.

f.y.i....pat d

Pat D
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
It is a nice drive but getting out of Miami can sometimes be rough (due to traffic).

And getting into MIA airport is worse than ever since they finished the new terminals.
We flew out of MIA airport last week and I will try to avoid it at all costs from now on. The new terminals are MILES long to walk and signage confusing. Fort Lauderdale is worth the extra drive and convenience.
Try a multi-destination........fly into FLL or MIA, drive down and fly out of KW. The drive down the Keys is great.....but trying to get out can be stressful.

Davidmnc
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I've got an idea!!! We can all fly into Miami of Fort Lauderdale and charter a bus to Key West. Call it the SOS Express!!!!

sellsman11
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
i've got an idea!!! We can all fly into miami of fort lauderdale and charter a bus to key west. Call it the sos express!!!!

homo!!

Davidmnc
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
homo!!

*****!

sellsman11
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
!%^$#@&*^!!!!!!

MarylandMark
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
homo!!

+1

Tom A.
05-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Newark to Key West $305. It was $250something to Miami when I checked.

Davidmnc
05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
+1

:(

Davidmnc
05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Newark to Key West $305. It was $250something to Miami when I checked.

Why the **** is it so different for me? I don't get it.

Chris
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Last year the flight from Cleveland to Miami was $300 and the flight to KW was $800. But then you have to rent a car and drive down. It's a nice drive but It would have required adding a day onto each end of the trip. I had business the afternoon coming in and I'd have had to be thinking about driving to Miami leaving KW at 6am Sunday morning after being out all night. The alternative was to sit around KW all day Sunday viewing the aftermath.

Davidmnc
05-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Last year the flight from Cleveland to Miami was $300 and the flight to KW was $800. But then you have to rent a car and drive down. It's a nice drive but It would have required adding a day onto each end of the trip. I had business the afternoon coming in and I'd have had to be thinking about driving to Miami leaving KW at 6am Sunday morning after being out all night. The alternative was to sit around KW all day Sunday viewing the aftermath.

Call me cheap. I am just struggling with it costing me 525 to go 125 miles! :ack2:

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Call me cheap. I am just struggling with it costing me 525 to go 125 miles! :ack2:

We drove down from Miami. $800 was a rediculous price to fly down last year for the Worlds. I could have got a limo and driver for the 3 days for the same amount for the two of us.

Davidmnc
05-28-2009, 09:33 AM
We drove down from Miami. $800 was a rediculous price to fly down last year for the Worlds. I could have got a limo and driver for the 3 days for the same amount for the two of us.

We could rent a car, but we are staying the whole week (Wednesday to Wednesday). It would cost almost as much to rent a car for the week (that we won't use) as it is to fly into KW. I am almost ready to hope a bus down from Miami to KW. That's only like $125.

MarylandMark
05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Last year 2 from DC to KW was almost $1300.

$300 for 2 to get to Lauderdale, one way rental of a Jeep for 2 days was $80, lunch on the way down, a night at Hawks Cay w/massages that night, dinner, dolphins, drinks, massage the next AM before hitting the road, cab from airport to the races/hotel all before the 1st race was cheaper than flying in to KW (by about $8)..

Ended up renting a cargo van with 6 others to get back to Lauderdale Monday to make a 7PM flight home.

Seltzer
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Last year 2 from DC to KW was almost $1300.

$300 for 2 to get to Lauderdale, one way rental of a Jeep for 2 days was $80, lunch on the way down, a night at Hawks Cay w/massages that night, dinner, dolphins, drinks, massage the next AM before hitting the road, cab from airport to the races/hotel all before the 1st race was cheaper than flying in to KW (by about $8)..

Ended up renting a cargo van with 6 others to get back to Lauderdale Monday to make a 7PM flight home.

WOW! Who wants to fill in the blanks?

Ms PatriYacht
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
we are flying in to Lauderdale on Tuesday and arrive about 9:30 and head out on Monday for a 4 PM flight in Lauderdale, if anyone is on the same time schedule and wants to share a car let me know. I am going to look into dropping the car off and then getting a new rental in KW, we did that one year, we use scooters down their anyway so don't need a car. We are staying cheap at a place called the Angelina house, a bunch of people we know have stayed several times and are staying there again. It's costing us $139.00 before tax and $156.00 with tax with breakfast. They are all booked though, we actually have the aparment where the owners used to live. I will be curious what it is like for that price, but everyone raves about the staff and how clean it is. We don't spend much time in the room and like to watch the races from the deck of the Ocean Key house or the pits and might try the sebago turn boat for one of the days

Ratickle
08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
WOW! Who wants to fill in the blanks?

And what's Marks point???????:sifone:

sonicss31
08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
If time is not an issue fly into Ft myers then take ferry to Key West. Drink on the ferry and you be ahead of the party.