PDA

View Full Version : Bottom wax

Tony
05-14-2009, 06:45 AM
What do you guys use on the bottom of the hull? After an average weekend on Erie there isnt that bad of a scum buildup. What is going to hold up best to a good scrubbbing once a week?

Sean Stinson
05-14-2009, 07:34 AM
In used to use this stuff called Speed Kote I think that ws the name!!!!

Sean Stinson
05-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Thats not it I have to find the name of this stuff

OldSchool
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
The guy that detailed my boat before I pulled it off of the trailer and put it on the lift this spring used some stuff called finish first on the bottom and Collenite (probably not correctly spelled) on the hull sides.
I left my boat in the water for 4 days towards the end of last season over at the Cambrisge OPA races and got a little bit of yellowing on the bottom. This stuff cleaned it up nicely and it's still white (so far).:)

jeff1000man
05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
There is not enough wax on the planet for my bottom :26:

phragle
05-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I use Charmin on my bottom.

insanity
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
The guy that detailed my boat before I pulled it off of the trailer and put it on the lift this spring used some stuff called finish first on the bottom and Collenite (probably not correctly spelled) on the hull sides.

That's pretty close, http://www.collinitemarine.com/

Beforewarned, we used some of this stuff this year, its not the easiest to put on/take off.

Audiofn
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Stec waxes his bottom. His boyfriend says it makes him faster.

VtSteve
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
That's pretty close, http://www.collinitemarine.com/

Beforewarned, we used some of this stuff this year, its not the easiest to put on/take off.

Hard to keep the manufacturer's tales straight anymore. One school of thought is to never waste your time on anything that has Carnauba in it, wears off too soon. Another says never polish or do anything to the hull bottom it will slow you down. Obviously, they all can't be right.

Mine's going up on stand jacks soon so I can both polish and seal it. Last year the pine pollen made quite the mess. My boat is still pretty darn shiny after sitting around all winter, and my last application of product was one year ago April. I used Gel Coat Labs then, and I have plenty left

AIR TIME
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Hard to keep the manufacturer's tales straight anymore. One school of thought is to never waste your time on anything that has Carnauba in it, wears off too soon. Another says never polish or do anything to the hull bottom it will slow you down. Obviously, they all can't be right.

Mine's going up on stand jacks soon so I can both polish and seal it. Last year the pine pollen made quite the mess. My boat is still pretty darn shiny after sitting around all winter, and my last application of product was one year ago April. I used Gel Coat Labs then, and I have plenty left

reggie use to sand the bottom of the boats during kilo runs, I saw others do this back in the 90s, they said wax slows you down, and I think the sprat stuff was speed cote in green, black and pink or orangecans I have one somewhere .

phragle
05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
what can make a difference on the bottom....dish soap..but it doesnt last very long..

Griff
05-16-2009, 02:44 AM
I never wax the bottom. The wax will wear off quickly and it simply not worth it. It also can slow you down a minimal amount.

Jassman
05-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I never wax the bottom. The wax will wear off quickly and it simply not worth it. It also can slow you down a minimal amount.

this is correct...I still use it once a year anyways on the bottom.. If it helps keep the scum off the sides after 6-9 mos it does make it easier on the bottom..the scum wipes off much easier. There is no wax or carnuba or petro. dist. in it.....strictly a polimer polish. If you have any questions give me a call or just email me. Thanks Jeff

www.leveragepolish.com
http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/home.php?cat=2

stainless
05-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Thats not it I have to find the name of this stuff

Kiss Cote :sifone: works great!

Griff
05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
this is correct...I still use it once a year anyways on the bottom.. If it helps keep the scum off the sides after 6-9 mos it does make it easier on the bottom..the scum wipes off much easier. There is no wax or carnuba or petro. dist. in it.....strictly a polimer polish. If you have any questions give me a call or just email me. Thanks Jeff

www.leveragepolish.com
http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/home.php?cat=2

If I was going wax the bottom, I would use Leverage. Still not worth it to me. I have to do a light acid wash about once a month to the bottom to get rid of our river stains. The water here leaves terrible stains. Nothing will prevent them and the only thing that gets rid of it acid.

go4broke
05-17-2009, 01:50 PM
If I am leaving the boat in for more than the weekend, I put a coat of wax (3m ultra performance) on the bottem, but don't buff it off. Just smear it on. It lasts a while, ten eventually wears off. Makes for much less clean up. Microbes in the water eat carnuba, so be sure to use a synthetic wax. You might lose 1/2 mph, but I would rather that than having to scrub the bottem.

If you are getting stains on the bottem I strongly recommend FSR. It is a blue jelly, smear it on with a rag, stain disappears with NO scrubbing. Then hose off.

stecz20
05-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Stec waxes his bottom. His boyfriend says it makes him faster.

sunkin likes it that way... mass hole....:03::03: