PDA

View Full Version : Fla. boat flips, about 28 people thrown

cigdaze
05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Officials: Fla. boat flips, about 28 people thrown
May 13 01:33 PM US/Eastern

MIAMI (AP) - Coast Guard officials in Florida say they are responding to a report that a boat capsized and threw about 28 people into the water off of Fort Lauderdale.

Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Nick Ameen says another boater called at around 12:30 p.m. That person pulled three people from the water and reported about another 25 people still awaiting rescue.

It was unclear where the boat was coming from or if there were any injuries.

Two helicopters, a jet and three boats were involved in the rescue.

cigdaze
05-13-2009, 03:03 PM
MIAMI -- Coast Guard officials in Florida say they are responding to a report that a boat capsized and threw about 28 migrants into the water off the Fort Lauderdale coast.

Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Nick Ameen says a boater pulled three people from the water and reported about another 25 people still awaiting rescue about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Matt Moorlag identified those in the capsized boat as migrants from Haiti and the Bahamas.

It was unclear where the boat was coming from or if there were any injuries.

Two helicopters, a jet and three boats were involved in the rescue.

cigdaze
05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I can't wait to see the pics. It can't be any worse than this one:

J.T.
05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
No mention of steps or trim position though ;)

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Don't be dishin Stecz's boat. It's Nice......:sifone:

JupiterSunsation
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Seas have been really flat for the past week or so...... I suspect more will make the trip

phragle
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM

thats a world championship winning boat right there.... so fast it's on a class by itself!

JupiterSunsation
05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Atleast 9 dead off Boynton Inlet; massive rescue effort underway

By MICHAEL LaFORGIA

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

BOYNTON BEACH — The U.S. Coast Guard was working to pull about 28 people from the ocean this afternoon after a boat capsized about 2 a.m. today. At least nine people were confirmed dead, said Capt. Don DeLucia, Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue spokesman.

On land, a massive rescue effort, which included more than 40 fire and paramedic trucks from at least five agencies, was underway this afternoon as the Coast Guard fished survivors out of the water. The Medical Examiner was setting up its portable morgue at Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach.

By 3 p.m., the Coast Guard had pulled at least 13 people from the water. Five were unresponsive, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Barry Bena. The Coast Guard cutter Cormorant and two small boats were looking for survivors off shore, Bena said.

As the Coast Guard worked, the swarm of rescue workers converged on the Boynton Inlet about 1:30 p.m., but the Coast Guard redirected them to Phil Foster Park, officials said.

About 12:40 p.m., the Coast Guard got a report of a boat that had capsized about 2 a.m., possibly 15 miles east of Ocean Ridge, said Coast Guard spokeswoman Marilyn Fajardo.

Fajardo said it wasn't immediately clear what the people were doing on the boat.

Paul Fasolo, captain of the Ham 'R Time charter boat, heard reports the people were Haitian immigrants. A passing boat picked up three people, one of whom was unresponsive, and was carrying them to shore.

Terry Brabham, captain of a diving charter based in Boynton Beach, said he tried to help rescue workers but was turned away by authorities this afternoon.

"With that many people in the water, you never know what's going to happen," Brabham said.

Palm Beach County and Boynton Beach Fire-Rescue workers and other paramedics were readying to evaluate and treat victims, officials said. Hospitals were put on alert as the Coast Guard brought people in.

Federal officials ordered planes and helicopters to keep 3 nautical miles away and less than 1,000 feet above the Coast Guard ship as it came to shore.

Staff writers Christine Stapleton, Eliot Kleinberg and Andrew Marra contributed to this story.

cigdaze
05-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Damn. :eek: :(

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
That's too bad.

It never ceases to amaze me what desperate people will do to try and become a part of the American dream. Including most of our ancesters.
RIP all.

Buoy
05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Mother Nature on Border Patrol

Magic Medicine
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM

:)

phragle
05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
whatever your views on illegal immigation are... you do have to give a bit of respect to someone willing to risk dying for a better life...

Buoy
05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
whatever your views on illegal immigation are... you do have to give a bit of respect to someone willing to risk dying for a better life...

I agree that it is a shame that these people have died in the pursuit of a better life.
But how is it any different than the border to Mexico, and then when all these ILLEGAL immigrants show up and wind up on welfare, free healthcare, and everything else handed to them...
I'm not educated enough on the entire topic to go into a full scale debate on this, and maybe it's better that I am not, but the basic principal is that these people were attempting to enter the country illegally, and if they make it, then what??
They work illegally, don't pay taxes, and we take care of them under our health care, and their childrens education, and we have ANOTHER phucking language we are expected to learn.
OR, if they choose not to work, they become criminals (as in thiefs, drug dealers...) so now we need to imprison them, taking up more of our labor and financial resources.
OH, and next thing you know we need to recognize THEIR religious holidays and THEIR customs, and do nothing that would infract on that.

I fail to see why I would root for them to make it here without following the proper procedure to enter the country.

It's not any different just because they came by boat.

cigdaze
05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Simply put, that's a fact of the matter...

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree that it is a shame that these people have died in the pursuit of a better life.
But how is it any different than the border to Mexico, and then when all these ILLEGAL immigrants show up and wind up on welfare, free healthcare, and everything else handed to them...
I'm not educated enough on the entire topic to go into a full scale debate on this, and maybe it's better that I am not, but the basic principal is that these people were attempting to enter the country illegally, and if they make it, then what??
They work illegally, don't pay taxes, and we take care of them under our health care, and their childrens education, and we have ANOTHER phucking language we are expected to learn.
OR, if they choose not to work, they become criminals (as in thiefs, drug dealers...) so now we need to imprison them, taking up more of our labor and financial resources.
OH, and next thing you know we need to recognize THEIR religious holidays and THEIR customs, and do nothing that would infract on that.

I fail to see why I would root for them to make it here without following the proper procedure to enter the country.

You don't root for them, you don't allow the use of our funds for support, but you do have to respect the fact of what they do and are willing to attempt to get ahead. And the difference is they died trying. Sometimes I wonder what I would be willing to attempt in the same situation?

phragle
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
not about rooting for them... or excusing there behaviour...

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
not about rooting for them... or excusing there behaviour...

Not excusing anything either. They should send all the survivors back.

Wardey
05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Not excusing anything either. They should send all the survivors back.

I agree. Dave

Buoy
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Again, I'm not intending to start the debate.
My family entered this country through Ellis Island 3 Generations ago. Legally.
My Family's last name was changed when they came over because no-one could spell it (Czech/Slavia name).
True story for both my Mother, and my Father's sides of the family.
They came here to work and live legally under the laws of this country.
Because of the lack of translation, my family accepted the change of our last name to be in this country.
It meant that much to them.
They were willing to do whatever they needed to, to LEGALLY be a part of this country.
It pizzess me off pretty bad when people come here illegally, expect all the benefits, and DEMAND that we recognize THEIR CULTURE.

I can appreciate the fact that these people wanted to be here badly enough that they risked their lives trying, but what were they going to do when they got here without legal papers to work and contribute?
That is where I have a problem.

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
My Family's last name was changed when they came over because no-one could spell it (Czech/Slavia name).
Because of the lack of translation, my family accepted the change of our last name to be in this country.
They were willing to do whatever they needed to, to LEGALLY be a part of this country.
It pizzess me off pretty bad when people come here illegally, expect all the benefits, and DEMAND that we recognize THEIR CULTURE.

I can appreciate the fact that these people wanted to be here badly enough that they risked their lives trying, but what were they going to do when they got here without legal papers to work and contribute?

Me too, agreed completely.

Wardey
05-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Buoy, When your family eneterd the United States at Ellis Island, they were processed to become U.S. Citizens and the were taught the English Language. After security checks and breifings, they became U.S. Citizens. God Bless them. They did it right. I do how ever have a problem with illegals entering the U. S. Dave

customtouch
05-13-2009, 11:23 PM
no mention of steps or trim position though ;)

lmao

PARADOX
05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoy

Raticle… Quote>>>>
You don't root for them, you don't allow the use of our funds for support, but you do have to respect the fact of what they do and are willing to attempt to get ahead. And the difference is they died trying. Sometimes I wonder what I would be willing to attempt in the same situation?

I just have to put my 0.02 into this. Illegal emigration,,, all the expenses WE have to incur and cater for bad politics and immigration laws, illegal aliens don’t speak English,, no effort, no contribution to society.. You in Miami.. you have to speak “THEIR” language just so you can order lunch. There were several threads and comments on this issue. I don’t have a problem anyone trying for a better life, and enjoy the freedom WE ALL have the liberty to exercise.
However. Many of these illegal aliens are already in trouble where they are coming from. They can’t make it at their home country, so the USA is a free for all. They know that they will be taken care of.
My parents came from a communist country, (now it’s a democratic government of a sort) I am extremely great full for their efforts, while we had a pretty nice life in Hungary. WE had a motorcycle,, a weekend house and a winery, we had a small boat and we lived pretty well for the Hungarian standard at the time. ( 1960’s and 1970)
My dads father was No. 3 ranked “officer” during the Hungarian revolution against the commies. I had no future there. My parents escaped that regime for MY and my sister’s future, not for their own. (I would never enjoy Poker Runs as I do now. It took a lot of hard work, getting through high school and collage but it’s true that the US is the land of opportunity. I worked my but off before getting to the point I am now, and I still work my butt off. Not once my family ever received any hand out or any type of aid WHAT SO EVER from the Gov. My parents took lessons from a Church learning to speak English. It saddens me but I am proud of my Dads sacrifice. He was a restaurant manager, in Hungary. He had a high class upbringing, Private schools, He was the Fred Astaire on Hungary, and he worked in a dirty factory, as a laborer for years before he get to be small time , low level shipping foremen. But he did not have to look behind his back what Communist official following him to lunch. He made his sacrifice to better his children and for that I am for ever grateful. They would have been shot if cought.
In fact… My Dad and Mom had to sign a document that they will never ask or take any Gov. help before they were allowed to stay in the states. They never got or wanted anything, but with hard work they were happy and free.
I would welcome any one and I would gladly help anyone wishing to live in our Country. ( and my parents and I already did, we have sponsored some people and provided work for them, and those few people are good upstanding voting citizens appreciating the help they received)
That’s being said… you have a criminal record, you stay out from MY borders. You don’t learn the language WE speak. you go back where you came from.. No reason why I / WE need to spend billions (that’s with a “B”) for some lazy a$$hole to take the drivers license test in Spanish.

I am sorry for the people lost at sea lost. If we would have a working immigration policy and a better Gov. with out all the liberal BS,, things like this would not be happening.

(Anyone can say anything, I’m done with my comments)

phragle
05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Ellis changed my families last name from Salvatore to Svatora. at least I know everyone with that last name is somehow related to me.....

cigdaze
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Pilot of boat that capsized off Florida coast, killing 9, is charged

MIAMI — A Haitian man was charged with human smuggling Monday after federal authorities accused him of piloting a boat overloaded with migrants that capsized off Florida's coast, killing at least nine people, including a pregnant woman.

Jimmy Metellus, 33, is scheduled to appear in federal court Wednesday on charges of smuggling that caused the death of another person. Court records did not list an attorney for him Monday. A conviction could result in the death penalty or life in prison.

Metellus, a Haitian citizen who also has permanent U.S. resident status, was among 16 people rescued when the boat capsized early last Wednesday off Boynton Beach, about 60 miles north of Miami. Most of the survivors — 15 Haitians and one Jamaican — will be deported to their home countries.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said the dead included two men, six women and an infant. Authorities also issued a separate death certificate for the pregnant woman's 8-month-old unborn fetus.

Two women and a baby remained hospitalized Monday, and the other survivors were in immigration custody. Five people are listed as missing.

"Tragically, many have lost their lives while attempting this illegal and treacherous trip," said Anthony Mangione, chief of the ICE Office of Investigations in Miami.

According to an ICE agent, Metellus told investigators he was hired by a man known only as "Shine" to pilot the vessel from the Bahamas to the United States with about 30 undocumented migrants aboard. The affidavit says Metellus was offered $6,000 for the trip but decided instead to be paid with free passage on the boat.

It was unclear how many people were involved in the smuggling operation, and investigators are not certain what caused the boat to overturn and sink about 15 miles off Florida's coast.

Geronimo36
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM
What kind of boat? Did it have steps?