PDA

View Full Version : Bleach on vinyl

Tony
05-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone ever used bleach, or a bleach based cleaner on white vinyl? I was hoping to brighten up my slightly weathered upholstry.

PatriYacht
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I've used bleach and dishwashing liquid for years. It's the best way to get mildew off that I know. It doesn't seem to do any damage except to your hands. Wear gloves.

Tank
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Problem with using bleach or bleach based cleaners on your interior is it eats the thread and will eventually cause the thread to weaken and break, leaving your interior torn.

Now, with that said. Yes I have:sifone: And I know about the above stated condition from experience.:ack2:

I don't think one cleaning with bleach will hurt. Just don't make it a habit.

Magic Medicine
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
bio kleen works wonders on boat interiors!

fund razor
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Problem with using bleach or bleach based cleaners on your interior is it eats the thread and will eventually cause the thread to weaken and break, leaving your interior torn.

Now, with that said. Yes I have:sifone: And I know about the above stated condition from experience.:ack2:

I don't think one cleaning with bleach will hurt. Just don't make it a habit.

Yeah, it does harm the stitching.... and it strips the moisture from the vinyl. (Same reason that it strips the oils from your hands) I would use a good vinyl conditioner afterward, and be sure not to leave any behind.

When I had to... I used a little bit of soft scrub on a stain and then wiped it really good with water, then applied some conditioner.

Somebody was mentioning Westley's Bleche White on a different thread. This product doesn't contain bleach. It contains Sodium Silicate, I think. I would use it only on tires.

Griff
05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I have used Clorox Clean Up. I use it maybe once a year. It works great, but as said, bleach is hard on the stitching. Always rinse well and condition after.

Knot 4 Me
05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Spray Nine is the best cleaner I have used in terms of cleaning, whitening, and removing any mold or mildew. And it is safe for your vinyl. Give it a try. I then follow up with Bio-Kleen Vinyl treatment.

Indy
05-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Spray Nine is the best cleaner I have used in terms of cleaning, whitening, and removing any mold or mildew.

I like Spray Nine also, you might want to try some Magic Erasers too.

Perlmudder
05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I like Spray Nine also, you might want to try some Magic Erasers too.

those 2 products are the chit! they tackle just about any problem!

Wardey
05-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Magic Erasers and Simple Green. Dave

Chris
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Oxy Clean. Now Oxy Clean has a spray-on product. It's not as good as making a paste out of the original stuff, but it does a pretty good job. If you use the fine grade of Scotchbrite to work it in, it'll clean up nicely. Ordinary cleanser will also work very well. But it can turn your stitching that blue-green color if you're not careful.

TIKI
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Where can you buy Spray Nine? I've been using the Magic Eraser, but for the deep down spider chit and mildew, it just doesn't scrub off.

ChiefApache
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Tony we've used it for years on the vinyl in the Stinger. We never had issues but, we conditioned with 303 afterwards.

Magic Erasers are a must.

Crazy Clean works well also, but condition afterwards.

sledge
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not 100%, but I think Magic Erasers have bleach in them. Obviously not a strong ratio, but they sure smell like bleach. Or something similar.

glassdave
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I second the Magic erasers as well as the soft scrub. Works great.

ROGUE
05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Spray Nine is the best cleaner I have used in terms of cleaning, whitening, and removing any mold or mildew. And it is safe for your vinyl. Give it a try. I then follow up with Bio-Kleen Vinyl treatment.

Ditto on the spray nine, then mequires vinyl cleaner treatment. Last resort is soft scrub with bleach. The bleach really killed the old cotton threads but doesnt seem to bad on the new synthetics

Tony
05-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Im also a fan of magic erasers, those little soft plastic bristled brushes that come cliped to the can of GOJO work well too. I usually clean with Fantastic then follow up with 303. I wish to hell I had known about 303 years ago before my nice fresh $600 Cig patch faded all to hell in the first season. My vinyl is still in great shape with a lot of years left, I just need something to restore that brilliant white color again.

ChiefApache
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Im also a fan of magic erasers, those little soft plastic bristled brushes that come cliped to the can of GOJO work well too. I usually clean with Fantastic then follow up with 303. I wish to hell I had known about 303 years ago before my nice fresh $600 Cig patch faded all to hell in the first season. My vinyl is still in great shape with a lot of years left, I just need something to restore that brilliant white color again.

Did you contact that guy someone mentioned is your site? I thought someone gave you the name of a person who could do something with that.

fund razor
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Ditto on the spray nine, then mequires vinyl cleaner treatment. Last resort is soft scrub with bleach. The bleach really killed the old cotton threads but doesnt seem to bad on the new synthetics

That is a good point. It would be way worse on the cotton.

fund razor
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey Tony,
When you start washing the boat.....
I don't expect to see your transom, so just get the bow real good. :D

ChiefApache
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey Tony,
When you start washing the boat.....
I don't expect to see your transom, so just get the bow real good. :D

Oh this is gonna start to get good! :biggrinjester:

fund razor
05-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Just some friendly banter, Barb. :D

RichL
05-12-2009, 04:50 PM

:eek:

:lurk5:

Tempest38
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Had an old uphosterer guy tell me that any time I use anything that strips or dries out the fabric to clean it, simply spray it down good and wipe well (as into the fabric and stitching) with furniture polish such as Pledge. Makes sense since it restores some of the oils....

Jassman
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
guys..cleaning naturally... without any chemicals. We do not use any petreleom dist..or turpentine...it is important in the method of keeping your vinyl/leather clean the proper way for the long haul..vs..getting clean using harsh chemicals..once clean..follow it up with a UV rated conditioner in keeping the vinyl plyable..There are many LEVERAGE threads on other websites.. but..I highlighted the latest thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/active-thunder/207580-vinyl-cleaner.html

all of our products are Green..eco-friendly across the line..you can call me if you have any questions, directions are on all bottles, and pricing is right at or less than the competition. Thanks Guys..Jeff Jassby
http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/Leverage-Products-c2.html

Chris
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.303products.com/

This stuff works wonders.

OldSchool
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
We've had great luck with the Magic Erasers....followed up with Swipes. They clean and condition in none easy step (and work fine by themselves when it's not too dirty or stained).

I've never seen anything work like the Magic Erasers on a tough job!

Tommy Gun
05-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Swipes are really good...so is this stuff called Roll-Off; started using it on the cruiser and now buy it by the gallon...

http://www.properboatcare.com/amazingrolloff.html

jhenrie
05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
spray 9 isn't legal in some states. Must have something in it that they can't get out of the water. Krazy kleen works well but rinse very well to save the thread!!! Love the magic erasers too!!

BY U BOY
05-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Magic eraser and purple power.Made my vinyl bright white again. Just wear gloves it made my hands peal. I also soaked the vinyl down with protectant after I hosed everything down.

pwam1@comcast.ne
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I just cleaned mine with scrub free and a mild abrasive pad. Worked like a charm! Also used magic erasur/scrub free in a few places,--even better. I put a healthy dose of bio-kleen's vinyl protectant on it, and it looks like new!

boomer35
09-16-2009, 09:33 AM
leverage is some good stuff, with the aplicator pad i would rank it right up there with magic eraser

cigdaze
09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
leverage is some good stuff, with the aplicator pad i would rank it right up there with magic eraser

I must agree. That leverage vinyl cleaner that they have is incredible. I've never seen my vinyl so white as when I use this. I won't use anything else.

Then I follow up with 303. That's the best combination I've found yet.

Jassman
09-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks Boomer....Just detailed a really dirty very old boat. I had to use the magic erasers with water and lathered it up real good..also adding the Leverage cleaner USING THE LEVERAGE APPLICATOR like Boomer mentioned. It gets down deep into the crevaces of the vinyl. It took 3 times but turned out almost perfect. I then flushed it thoroughly with water, re-applied Leverage cleaner and then neutralized with the conditioner. I don't like to use bleach of any kind on vinyl surfaces but sometimes you have to. If you guys have any questions just email or call me. Thanks Jeff

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I LOVE Spray nine. Have used it for years. Use will a soft brush and wipe with clean dry cloth for best results. I have used clorox clean up too. I only use it sparingly as needed. Spray nine usually gets it done.