PDA

View Full Version : The Fleacing Of America By Non responsable people

boatme
05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I just saw a news report that once again has me fuming mad

Seems a child slipped out of a house one night through a doggy door that was installed and he was found dead in the backyard swimming pool (Drowned)

Now the parents are suing the doggy door company because they didn’t know there child could slip out the door

When are we going to stop the legal system for blaming everyone else but ourselves for stupidity? The death is tragic but the responsibility is certainly not the manufacturer of the door

We wonder why goods are so expensive it is in one word LAWYERS !
Why is medical so expensive??? LAWYERS!
Most suits are set up to settle and gain money for the lawyers. We are all being fleeced
It is America’s greatest lottery (LAWSUITS) Only way to change any of it is through legislation and what are most politicians?? LAWYERS!!!! NEVER VOTE INTO OFFICE A LAWYER
what a nightmare our country has become

clayinaustin
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
As I have said a hundred times...

If I was made king for one day and could only change one thing, I would enact tort reform. There has got to be limits in the legal system.

But you will NEVER get a bunch of out-of-work lawyers (Congress) to pass laws limiting the amount of money a trial lawyer can get. NEVER! :mad:

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 08:32 AM
As I have said a hundred times...

If I was made king for one day and could only change one thing, I would enact tort reform. There has got to be limits in the legal system.

But you will NEVER get a bunch of out-of-work lawyers (Congress) to pass laws limiting the amount of money a trial lawyer can get. NEVER! :mad:

And the nice thing now.... We have a lawyer in the white house, talking to his lawyer wife, about what lawyer to appoint to the Supreme Court to interpret laws written by lawyers, and approved by lawyers, for the benefit of us all....:ack2:

boatme
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
They say you can't be tried for the same crime twice

What the Hell is an appeal ??????
If you are found inocent (see OJ Simpson) you can't be tried again

If you are found guilty (see OJ Simpson) you can appeal

MattBMiller
05-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the little kid, but that is absolutely ridiculous!

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Now the parents are suing the doggy door company because they didn’t know there child could slip out the door

By the way, in Michigan that would be illegal and the parents could face charges.

MattBMiller
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
By the way, in Michigan that would be illegal and the parents could face charges.

As they should!

Dude! Sweet!
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Point 1... plaintiff's attornies are scumbags.

Point 2... the PARENTS are suing the doggie door company. If I was made king for a day, I'd make everyone take a massive does of personal resposability... Everyone hates lawyers until they have to use them. The "well it's ok in MY case..."

And everyone who runs around blaming lawyers rather than the plaintiffs themselves are also falling victim to this national illness as well. Milder symptom, same disease. Lack of accountability.

If people stopped paying lawyers, they'd go away...

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Answer
U.S.A.: There is one lawyer for every 265 Americans.

Brazil follows closely with one lawyer on every 326 Brazilians.

Clarification: While it looks like the US has the most number of lawyers, the per capita numbers suggest Spain and Italy are not "by far" the most although the 1MM+ number is staggering.

Country Lawyers Population People/Lawyer

US: Lawyers: 1,143,358 Pop: 303MM P/L:265
Brazil: Lawyers: 571,360 Pop: 186MM P/L: 326
New Zealand: Lawyers: 10,523 Pop: 4MM P/L 391

Spain Lawyers:114,143 Pop: 45MM P/L:395
Italy Lawyers:121,380 Pop: 59MM P/L:488
UK Lawyers:151,043 Pop: 61MM P/L401
Germany Lawyers:138,679 Pop: 82MM P/L: 593
France Lawyers:45,686 Pop: 64MM P/L: 1,403

Among the Top 7 "lawyerly countries" listed above, the US has about 50% of the lawyers, with 37 percent of the population of this group.

:boxing_smiley: :ack2: :boxing_smiley:

boatme
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

If people stopped paying lawyers, they'd go away...

Not true!

More commercials on TV for "If we don't win You don’t pay"

so Joe public figures all he has to lose is a little bit of time, and best case a settlement is reached. The Lawyer gets around half the money and the plaintiff gets free money for little work

Perlmudder
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Same with Ontario, must have a secure fence over 4 feet tall with a locking mechanism on the gate. The parents are at fault on this one, just because something is not the "law" doesn't mean you shouldn't use common sense when a small child is around.

fund razor
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
If there is ever an anti-spelling movement.... I hope that they hire out their protest signs. :)

RichL
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
When the hull are people gonna start taking responsibility for their own actions?

:banghead:

Wrinkleface
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I think the word U R look'n 4 is a F U C K I N G!!!!!! but not w/ duel consent!!!!:boxing_smiley:

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Not true!

so Joe public figures all he has to lose is a little bit of time, and best case a settlement is reached. The Lawyer gets around half the money and the plaintiff gets free money for little work

It's the same thing with these lawyers getting elected.

Every lazy azz in the country voted for the saviour because he was gonna give them a check for $1000. If that's not an illegal buying of votes, then what is?

Dude! Sweet!
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Not true!

My comment, it was a metaphor... the lawyer gets paid in the case you described right? What I'm saying is if Joe Public has enough moral compass to say "geeze, I know I don't deserve money because I'm the dumb f*ck that stuck my head in the bucket in the first place" and doesn't call the lawyer, the lawyer doesn't get paid. So... if you don't pay them, they'll go away.

Tort reform only hits one side of it (Clay made some good points though) it makes sure that people are punished for the frivolous cases (technically filing frivolous suits is already illegal though) and cuts down on the home run verdicts. It does nothing to prevent people from making others pay for their own stupidity.

I've said it before, a lawyer is just a very shiny and attractive gun. You still need a person to pull the trigger.

Dude! Sweet!
05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
If there is ever an anti-spelling movement.... I hope that they hire out their protest signs. :)

I haven't learned to spell yet, so I'll take the blame and say I'm too stupid and lazy to ever learn to speel! :sifone:

fund razor
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I haven't learned to spell yet, so I'll take the blame and say I'm too stupid and lazy to ever learn to speel! :sifone:
No problem.... hire your protest signs out. :)

Tommy Gun
05-12-2009, 08:42 PM
The Lawyers' Party
By Bruce Walker

The Democratic Party has become the Lawyers' Party. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are lawyers. Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama are lawyers. John Edwards, the other former Democrat candidate for president, is a lawyer and so is his wife Elizabeth. Every Democrat nominee since 1984 went to law school (although Gore did not graduate.) Every Democrat vice presidential nominee since 1976, except for Lloyd Bentsen, went to law school. Look at the Democrat Party in Congress: the Majority Leader in each house is a lawyer.

The Republican Party is different. President Bush and Vice President Cheney were not lawyers, but businessmen. The leaders of the Republican Revolution were not lawyers. Newt Gingrich was a history professor; Tom Delay was an exterminator; and Dick Armey was an economist. House Minority Leader Boehner was a plastic manufacturer, not a lawyer. The former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a heart surgeon.

Who was the last Republican president who was a lawyer? Gerald Ford, who left office thirty-one years ago and who barely won the Republican nomination as a sitting president, running against Ronald Reagan in 1976. The Republican Party is made up of real people doing real work. The Democratic Party is made up of lawyers. Democrats mock and scorn men who create wealth, like Bush and Cheney, or who heal the sick like Frist, or who immerse themselves in history like Gingrich.

The Lawyers' Party sees these sorts of people, who provide goods and services that people want, as the enemies of America. And so we have seen the procession of official enemies in the eyes of the Lawyers' Party grow. Against whom do Hillary and Obama rail? Pharmaceutical companies, oil companies, hospitals, manufacturers, fast food restaurant chains, large retail businesses, bankers and anyone producing anything of value in our nation.

This is the natural consequence of viewing everything through the eyes of lawyers. Lawyers solve problems by successfully representing their clients, in this case the American people. Lawyers seek to have new laws passed, they seek to win lawsuits, they press appellate courts to overturn precedent, and lawyers always parse language to favor their side.

Confined to the narrow practice of law, that is fine. But it is an awful way to govern a great nation. When politicians as lawyers begin to view some Americans as clients and other Americans as opposing parties, then the role of the legal system in our life becomes all consuming. Some Americans become "adverse parties" of our very government. We are not all litigants in some vast social class action suit. We are citizens of a republic which promises us a great deal of freedom from laws, from courts, and from lawyers.

Today, we are drowning in laws, we are contorted by judicial decisions, we are driven to distraction by omnipresent lawyers in all parts of our once private lives. America has a place for laws and lawyers, but that place is modest and reasonable, not vast and unchecked. When the most important decision for our next president is whom he will appoint to the Supreme Court, the role of lawyers and the law in America is too big. When lawyers use criminal prosecution as a continuation of politics by other means, as happened in the lynching of Scooter Libby and Tom Delay, then the power of lawyers in America is too great. When House Democrats sue America in order to hamstring our efforts to learn what our enemies are planning to do to use, then the role of litigation in America has become crushing.

We cannot expect the Lawyers' Party to provide real change, real reform or real hope in America. Most Americans know that a republic in which every major government action must be blessed by nine unelected judges is not what Washington intended in 1789. Most Americans grasp that we cannot fight a war when ACLU lawsuits snap at the heels of our defenders. Most Americans intuit that more lawyers and judges will not restore declining moral values or spark the spirit of enterprise in our economy.

Perhaps Americans will understand that change cannot be brought to our nation by those lawyers who already largely dictate American society and business. Perhaps Americans will see that hope does not come from the mouths of lawyers but from personal dreams nourished by hard work. Perhaps Americans will embrace the truth that more lawyers with more power will only make our problems worse.

05-12-2009, 11:12 PM
One answer is the losing side should pay all legal fees. If you lose a frivolous suit, you would have to pay the opposition's legal fees.

sledge
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
If you don't want lawyers in office, you have to run for office yourself or at least get out and get someone else to run for office. Quit b!tching about it and do something.

boatme
05-13-2009, 06:03 AM
The Lawyers' Party
By Bruce Walker

The Democratic Party has become the Lawyers' Party. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are lawyers. Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama are lawyers. John Edwards, the other former Democrat candidate for president, is a lawyer and so is his wife Elizabeth. Every Democrat nominee since 1984 went to law school (although Gore did not graduate.) Every Democrat vice presidential nominee since 1976, except for Lloyd Bentsen, went to law school. Look at the Democrat Party in Congress: the Majority Leader in each house is a lawyer.

The Republican Party is different. President Bush and Vice President Cheney were not lawyers, but businessmen. The leaders of the Republican Revolution were not lawyers. Newt Gingrich was a history professor; Tom Delay was an exterminator; and Dick Armey was an economist. House Minority Leader Boehner was a plastic manufacturer, not a lawyer. The former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a heart surgeon.

Who was the last Republican president who was a lawyer? Gerald Ford, who left office thirty-one years ago and who barely won the Republican nomination as a sitting president, running against Ronald Reagan in 1976. The Republican Party is made up of real people doing real work. The Democratic Party is made up of lawyers. Democrats mock and scorn men who create wealth, like Bush and Cheney, or who heal the sick like Frist, or who immerse themselves in history like Gingrich.

The Lawyers' Party sees these sorts of people, who provide goods and services that people want, as the enemies of America. And so we have seen the procession of official enemies in the eyes of the Lawyers' Party grow. Against whom do Hillary and Obama rail? Pharmaceutical companies, oil companies, hospitals, manufacturers, fast food restaurant chains, large retail businesses, bankers and anyone producing anything of value in our nation.

This is the natural consequence of viewing everything through the eyes of lawyers. Lawyers solve problems by successfully representing their clients, in this case the American people. Lawyers seek to have new laws passed, they seek to win lawsuits, they press appellate courts to overturn precedent, and lawyers always parse language to favor their side.

Confined to the narrow practice of law, that is fine. But it is an awful way to govern a great nation. When politicians as lawyers begin to view some Americans as clients and other Americans as opposing parties, then the role of the legal system in our life becomes all consuming. Some Americans become "adverse parties" of our very government. We are not all litigants in some vast social class action suit. We are citizens of a republic which promises us a great deal of freedom from laws, from courts, and from lawyers.

Today, we are drowning in laws, we are contorted by judicial decisions, we are driven to distraction by omnipresent lawyers in all parts of our once private lives. America has a place for laws and lawyers, but that place is modest and reasonable, not vast and unchecked. When the most important decision for our next president is whom he will appoint to the Supreme Court, the role of lawyers and the law in America is too big. When lawyers use criminal prosecution as a continuation of politics by other means, as happened in the lynching of Scooter Libby and Tom Delay, then the power of lawyers in America is too great. When House Democrats sue America in order to hamstring our efforts to learn what our enemies are planning to do to use, then the role of litigation in America has become crushing.

We cannot expect the Lawyers' Party to provide real change, real reform or real hope in America. Most Americans know that a republic in which every major government action must be blessed by nine unelected judges is not what Washington intended in 1789. Most Americans grasp that we cannot fight a war when ACLU lawsuits snap at the heels of our defenders. Most Americans intuit that more lawyers and judges will not restore declining moral values or spark the spirit of enterprise in our economy.

Perhaps Americans will understand that change cannot be brought to our nation by those lawyers who already largely dictate American society and business. Perhaps Americans will see that hope does not come from the mouths of lawyers but from personal dreams nourished by hard work. Perhaps Americans will embrace the truth that more lawyers with more power will only make our problems worse.

This was exelent

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 06:47 AM
One answer is the losing side should pay all legal fees. If you lose a frivolous suit, you would have to pay the opposition's legal fees.

That would be nice. But, doubtful it will ever pass. No free handout to buy votes with.

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
If you don't want lawyers in office, you have to run for office yourself or at least get out and get someone else to run for office. Quit b!tching about it and do something.

The problem seems to be a non-insider who is honest has no political support so thereis no way to even compete, let alone get elected.

What platform could a honest, non-deal-maker, run on and get the support of any major party?

boatme
05-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Remember the movie Brewsters Millions ???? we need a platform like Richard Prior had

"Non Of The Above"

Chris
05-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Then the problem becomes that all civil litigation will be won with the guy with the money. That means anyone insured automatically wins. But then, legal insurance will sprout up. So we're back where we started. The concept of frivolity is harder to define than what's the best tasting flavor of ice cream.

I have an ironclad solution. Liquidated damage awards should all be removed from the jury's hands and the dollar value set by a panel of economists. Punitive damages- those mega awards that are crippling people in areas like health care- those no longer go to the plaintiff. There's nothing wrong in the theory or action of punishing someone for gross negligence, but the plaintiff was already fairly compensated for their injury or damages. Put that punitive money into a fund that pays for something that serves the public good. The core problem with jury-set damage awards is simple- those jurors all can see themselves being the holder of that winning lottery ticket.

And don't get me started on the concept of professional jurors...

sledge
05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
The problem seems to be a non-insider who is honest has no political support so thereis no way to even compete, let alone get elected.

What platform could a honest, non-deal-maker, run on and get the support of any major party?

It's not supposed to be easy. Right now is probably one of the best times to run outside the two parties. Yeah, the biggest hurdle is money, but I think there's a huge appetite right now for "candidates" outside of the mainstream political BS. I think it truly is the political radicals that are polarizing politics today. Average Joe voter, he just wants things to be reasonable and predictable. And when you think about it, for the most part that's what we've had for a long time. But now we've got some major "change" being proposed and nobody is convinced it's the right thing to do. 2010 is a huge election for Congress. Some of the big names aren't up, but others are.

Running for a US Senate seat as "just a guy" from your state would probably be a non-starter. But US Rep seats can be won on the local, shake hands and kiss babies level. Run as an independent, get the support of a few organizations, and you start getting free press from the newspaper and TV. If you truly present well, you might even raise enough money to pay for mailings.

Personally, I think it's time to reconsider a two-party political system. I don't know whether I've been partially brain-washed by Glenn Beck's pushing of the "Progressive" idea or I'm just plain old disappointed with both parties. I think a lot of voters would get behind an Independent/Constitutional party consisting of hard working citizens.

Wrinkleface
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

& the out of work time & any other expenses of the defendant that was sued frivolously!!

Ratickle
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Then the problem becomes that all civil litigation will be won with the guy with the money. That means anyone insured automatically wins. But then, legal insurance will sprout up. So we're back where we started. The concept of frivolity is harder to define than what's the best tasting flavor of ice cream.

I have an ironclad solution. Liquidated damage awards should all be removed from the jury's hands and the dollar value set by a panel of economists. Punitive damages- those mega awards that are crippling people in areas like health care- those no longer go to the plaintiff. There's nothing wrong in the theory or action of punishing someone for gross negligence, but the plaintiff was already fairly compensated for their injury or damages. Put that punitive money into a fund that pays for something that serves the public good. The core problem with jury-set damage awards is simple- those jurors all can see themselves being the holder of that winning lottery ticket.

I almost agree except for one thing...

The lawyers would still claim their percentage of the punitive damages. If you can keep exempt from their claim, you are correct.

05-14-2009, 12:19 AM

I see your point but I think the "loser pays" system (or something like it) is already working in several other countries. You know, the ones with socialized medicine that don't want the taxpayers directly enriching the plaintiffs.

Your suggestion also sounds like it might curtail the Plaintiff getting rich but don't forget the lawyer getting 33-50% of the cut. (credit Ratickle)

BTW. Pralines and Cream from Baskin and Robbins. Best Ice cream ever made, end of discussion. :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Remember the movie Brewsters Millions ???? we need a platform like Richard Prior had

"Non Of The Above"

I was thinking about that movie the other day... Who would guess that a "light comedy" like that would turn out to be as on point as Orwell's 1984...

tommymonza
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I am so sick of hearing the Morgan and Morgan commercials down here they are every where.For the people.

But i think this says it all here.http://www.whocanisue.com/content/main/faq.aspx

boatme
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
here is it Sam Bernstien or Jeffery Figer ads

Tommy Gun
05-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I view lawyers as a necessary evil; if you do need one I strongly recommend Dewey, Cheatem and Howe...