PDA

View Full Version : skegs on a step bottom boat ?

baronmarine
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
was there ever been any tought on skegs on a step bottom boat ? like a ski boat would use for tracking. who it work ? may seem like a dumb question. but i was just wondering.

todd

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess the question would be, where do the skegs belong? ski boats are v-drives and usually the pole is located in the center of the boat.

Seems logical though...

sellsman11
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Seems that it would help spin outs but wouldnt it make a roll even more possible?

MattBMiller
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Seems like a good idea after reading about all these step bottom boats spinning out lately.

Offshore Ginger
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Todd many years ago at Skater we put a few on and Pete called them keel daggers .:)

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
unlimited hydro's have em and they use them for turning as well!

cigs have the reverse chine on the stern, maybe that has something to do with the spin/roll?

sanger rat
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Skegs are for turning. If you guys want to stop the spin outs start by lowering your drives back in the water.

PatriYacht
05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
It has been suggested that a reverse chine would stop a lot of turning accidents. I can't remember by who. T2x?

sellsman11
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Skegs are for turning. If you guys want to stop the spin outs start by lowering your drives back in the water.

Where is Brad or Tres when you need them??
:lurk5::lurk5:

BBB725
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Isn't this backwards on a stepped hull, by tucking the drives you would put more of the bow in the water, making it grab better than the drives. And before everyone starts commenting this is for safe turning speeds, not WOT.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM

I hear you

It has been suggested that a reverse chine would stop a lot of turning accidents. I can't remember by who. T2x?

It helps . Phantoms have them.

If you overpower a boat and have no experience you will find trouble. It is one thing to be in a race and push the limits, but to be playing hard and not know your limits is stupid.

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

I can see how they help prevent a spin but contribute to a roll-over once the spin is in motion.

And DON'T jump boat wakes people... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

Ted
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Isn't this backwards on a stepped hull, by tucking the drives you would put more of the bow in the water, making it grab better than the drives. And before everyone starts commenting this is for safe turning speeds, not WOT.

I think he means lowering the X dimension and bringing the drive down further in relation to the hull. A byproduct of raising the X for more speed is you lose the sidewards stability (keel effect) of the drive since there is less in the water.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Greg is a knucklehead. I find it amusing the text didn't mention slowing down would have helped too.

baronmarine
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Todd many years ago at Skater we put a few on and Pete called them keel daggers .:)

art that is one painful name for them. the more i think about it and have thought about it for a long time. it does seem like it would stop the sliding for the most part.

todd

Ratickle
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Someone had to of tested this on a race boat. Unless it's illegal? Anything that would make a race boat run faster, and is legal, must have been tested. Right?

On RC boats, the turn fin on a deep v is set so that at top speed it does not touch the water. When turning, as the hull lays on its side to turn, the turn fin is in the water. Would the same principal apply? I would have to say yes.

We also use only one fin on the inside, (turn side), of the hull.

For a non-race boat they'd have to be on both sides. Same with RC.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Some trim tabs have rails on them designed to help.

I personally think it is just case of learning the boat. You can not make it turn harder then it wants too. So you add a ski fin so it doesn't slide, it just throws you out instead when you turn it too hard. Experience and an understanding is what is needed not a turning aid. IMO

Dreamer
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
what about making the skegs on the drives longer while keeping the X in the same place

Knot 4 Me
05-11-2009, 04:57 PM

Sunsation added rails on the 280 K-planes on their stepped 32 S/SS/SSR.

Sydwayz
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Sunsation added rails on the 280 K-planes on their stepped 32 S/SS/SSR.

Yep, and when they started drilling holes in them, it looks like a pair of Yamaha PWC going down the lake with the two fountains shooting up.

I don't have a picture right now, but I'll get one... if you look at the bottom of the DDC Active Thunder hull, the portion of the pad behind the step is "sculpted" with longitudinal strakes which keep the hull in check/tracking correctly when you have the boat trimmed correctly; that is with the transom in the water; aka trimmed neutral or out in a turn.

Offshore Ginger
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey guys , like i said in a later post when i was employed at Skater we put a few skegs or ( Keel Daggers ) as Pete would call them on mostly 40's and basically the reason for this was to assist in turning on a coarse like Key West during the world's .:)

Ratickle
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
You would not want to see what happens on a full size boat if a turn fin left the water due to a wave in a hard turn. An RC boat will sometimes do 2 or 3 360's in the air before touching the water again. The only thing I've ever seen close in a full size boat was a Checkmate at almost 100 and the stock steering broke.

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
merc lengthened the skegs on the 6's and the ITS drives, maybe they're not long enough with the extremely high X's the stepped boats are running these days. The air bubbles are like ball bearlings under the boat.

DollaBill
05-11-2009, 10:59 PM

I know I'm late to the party tonightm but...........

What the he!! are you talking about????? Diff breed of boat dude.:sifone:

Expensive Date
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I went from a jet ski to a twin engine, twin step boat,I have never driven a single engine boat.I have never had a problem because I WAS TAUGHT by someone who new what they were doing and understood theory of how a stepped hull works.If you do not know where to put your drives you are not going to find out on this or any other message board you need to call Tres or Brad.It is really not that hard.There is a lot of incorrect information on this and the other Cigarette thread about trimming a stepped hull

If you do not understand how the hull works you will not be able to adjust quickly to changing situations and also not be able to recognize when the boat doesn't feel right and why.We have a conversation like this every time there is an accident

phragle
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
you want the ultra simple yet incredibly complicated answer?? All you do is hinge the bottom of the boat...push a button, you have a conventional Vee, push the button the other way, the hydralics take aver and insta-step. :D

Tres
05-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Skegs on the bottom? Nope/ Longer skegs on the drives? Not really. You need to know what is happening under the bottom to drive without incident. Thats all. You will spend more money on that crap than our course. Go figure

Magic Medicine
05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
If you can afford most of the powerboats that have spun or flipped recently, the price of Tres course is s a drop in the bucket! If you want to run hard on a "super fast" boat take the course!

Geronimo36
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree, take the course.

An manufacturers, do more work to make your boats safer. There are certain boats that are more prone to spin-outs than others! ;)

Wardey
05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Seems like a good idea after reading about all these step bottom boats spinning out lately.

Maybe people should just learn how to drive a step bottom boat ???? Dave

Chris
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
This is a pretty good shot of a skid fin on an unlimited. Note the size and the position. Also keep in mind that these boats are very light and have a VERY low aspect ratio- (height to width) and an exceptionally low center of gravity. Plus they have no relative roll when compared to a vee.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/CTS1489/2650825700_4f2c97aa20.jpg

Now, watch this video and imagine how a skid fin might help. This is typical of what's going to happen to you in a step boat.
qG5-Go1HH7Q

On an unlimited, if they get bounced up in a corner they'll jump sideways until the fin catches. On a vee, you can see how when the rear loses bite the boat slides right, catches and rolls from hard left to hard right.

Ratickle
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Maybe people should just learn how to drive a step bottom boat ???? Dave

Question for the pros.....

Does a multi step like an Outerlimits, vs a dual step like a Black Thunder, vs a single step like an Intrepid handle completely different from each other?

Geronimo36
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Question for the pros.....

Does a multi step like an Outerlimits, vs a dual step like a Black Thunder, vs a single step like an Intrepid handle completely different from each other?

Yes, it's all about the placement of the steps, number, depth, drive height and various other variables. Each design is different and some are more prone than others.

MarylandMark
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Really to go one "step" further each and every boat has so many variables each and every one of them handles different.

One hull with a covergirl cabin and the same hull with a full cabin; they will drive different

BradH
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
The Throttle-Up/LA Marine boat (Steve and Lee) has retractable fins in each hull. Neat little setup.

glassdave
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM

I personally think it is just case of learning the boat. You can not make it turn harder then it wants too. So you add a ski fin so it doesn't slide, it just throws you out instead when you turn it too hard. Experience and an understanding is what is needed not a turning aid. IMO

second that :cool: