PDA

View Full Version : boat explosion in fl

Bobcat
05-10-2009, 10:09 AM
TAMPA, Fla. -- Six people were seriously injured Saturday in a pleasure boat explosion in Florida's Tampa Bay, authorities said.

The 33-foot, twin-engine Sea Ray exploded and burned to the waterline Saturday afternoon while anchored in 3 feet of water off of what's known as Beer Can Island, according to Gary Morse of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Eleven people were injured, including the six who were flown by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital. Five other children were treated for smoke inhalation and released from the hospital, Morse said.

He said 14 people in an extended family departed at 10:30 a.m. from Apollo Beach, Fla., for the island, which Morse said is a popular place for boaters to anchor.

"Six children were forward watching a movie, five adults were in the aft portion of the vessel and three others were wading 30 feet from the boat when there was an explosion in the rear portion of the vessel," Morse said.

Other boaters and authorities - including the U.S. Coast Guard and emergency crews from nearby MacDill Air Force Base - came to the aid of the burning boat, he said.

The cause of the explosion is under investigation. Morse said the boat's twin engines were not operating at the time, although a gasoline generator was.

The boat was owned by George Meyer, who was on the boat with extended family members when the explosion happened, said Morse, who declined to say if Meyer was injured.

More Breaking News

Breaking News

* 11 hurt in pleasure boat explosion in Florida

MacGyver
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Sad news. I hope they all make a full recovery.

Edward R. Cozzi
05-10-2009, 11:20 AM
My son, Craig, was one of the responding paramedics. He called me right away after the rescue. Said the kids in the cabin wanted to play video games and attempted to fire-up the generator. Firefighters let boat burn, as it was a total loss anyway.

MacGyver
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Was it a marine generator, or a portable unit?

Chris
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I just can't understand why fume sniffers aren't required in any and all inboard an I/O applications.

This happened a long time back not far from me. Killed two complete families on a boat docked at Shooters in Cleveland. The only suvivor was a baby- blown clear and landed in the water.

PARADOX
05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Best wishes to the injured.

Wrinkleface
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
The best to all.

Wobble
05-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I just can't understand why fume sniffers aren't required in any and all inboard an I/O applications.

Me either I have installed them in every boat I have had, they are so sensitive I had one detect an exhaust gas leak before I heard it.

They don't cost much and are very reliable.

What a senseless tragedy

cigdaze
05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow. How awful. I know the island well, I'm sure it was chaos on a Saturday.

dykstra
05-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Hope all is well!

Elite Marine
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM

This happened a long time back not far from me. Killed two complete families on a boat docked at Shooters in Cleveland. The only suvivor was a baby- blown clear and landed in the water.

Possibly had one, but kids might not have turned it on. My "new to me" Hustler has one and it is comforting. We sell them now. Havent had one person buy one??

Hope everyone is OK. Sad to hear about this when people were just trying to relax and enjoy themselves.

Ratickle
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Okay, we have the knowledge here. Let's get something going to assist in pushing this standard.

In the safety section?

go4broke
05-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Standard on a Sonic, but you have to turn it on. Doesn't use much power, I've left mine on for a week and still could start the boat the following weekend.
Best wishes to all the injured and speedy recoveries.

MacGyver
05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
My uncles 40' Bayliner had a gas fume detector. It worked when one of his fuel tanks sprung a leak. Probably save the boat and possibly his life.

boomer35
05-10-2009, 07:21 PM
how do you know if the sniffer is on or not, (i know from the switch), but i just took apart my dash and i want to KNOW it is on, is there a noise or light anywhere i could look or listen for

rschap1
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Wife said she just saw pics on today show:(
Best wishes to those involved

Tom A.
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Latest update:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Six-remain-hospitalized-from-boat-explosion-in/1dulg-XH6kCvhayPRrHzQg.cspx?rss=794

redhotsommer
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
My boat has one with a green light...

Best wishes to those injured..

Wobble
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
how do you know if the sniffer is on or not, (i know from the switch), but i just took apart my dash and i want to KNOW it is on, is there a noise or light anywhere i could look or listen for

there should be a test button on the guage.

I have mine wired to come on with the main battery switch, it will automatically sound the alarm and turn on the blowers when fumes are detected

VtSteve
05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Possibly had one, but kids might not have turned it on. My "new to me" Hustler has one and it is comforting. We sell them now. Havent had one person buy one??

Hope everyone is OK. Sad to hear about this when people were just trying to relax and enjoy themselves.

Are they multi purpose, or are there some for gas fumes and others for CO?

Frankly, I don't think I've seen one aftermarket for sale.

Wobble
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Are they multi purpose, or are there some for gas fumes and others for CO?

Frankly, I don't think I've seen one aftermarket for sale.

This is the one I have bought several times http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/42916/377%20710/0/detector/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=detector&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=detector&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=84&classNum=85

Cheap insurance

Wobble
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Here are the others, only one has the relay to automatically operate the blowers though http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&keyword=gasoline+fume&Ntt=gasoline+fume&N=377+710&storeId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

VtSteve
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Mark. I'll have to add one of those to the shopping basket.