PDA

View Full Version : Mystic what would cause this?

Pro1
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Saw these pics along with discussion about this boat being the second or third boat of this brand to come apart. What would cause this?

fund razor
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6114&highlight=mystic&page=8

This issue was addressed at length, on this forum.

The link should help get you up to date, and let you read what Mystic has already said on the topic.

Pro1
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdave
i just don't get it ??
Cosker's going to build jbs a new boat cause they knowing keep running a damaged boat for several laps until it starting sinking??? i feel for cosker, all this could have been avoided if some more common sense was used. jbs's desire to win every race has cost them plenty and finally it has gone to the point of actually loosing the boat. people need to check their EGO'S at the door. why do you think nascar drivers come in all the time when they feel a tire going down?? caus ethey don't like the taste of concrete barriers at 180 mph.

and if you read all the posts, somewhere in there it states the rigger (what's that guys name agian) cut holes to run wires???? in a boat thats built to the extreme edge of weight to strenght ratio, you gotta wonder sometimes when these riggers cut threw bulkheads just to have a straight run for their wire looms?

You do not know Jeff or myself.

""""

Mystic
The problem with the JBS boat was not a structural failure by
any means. The outer layer of carbon that came off is a vail
layer to lessen print through and act as a barrier to the inner
structural layers of carbon. The laminate was left open to long in
this area of the boat and started to cure before the vacuum bag
went down so it didn't adhere well enough to the inner skins and
after running loosened up and sheeted off.
As Joe said Mystic Powerboats is standing behind this problem
100% and the repair is nearly complete. The boat will be up and
running again very soon for a long winter of testing and many
years of very competitive racing. My crew and myself take great
pride in what we build and work very hard at it, we are very
sorry for the inconvenience of this but I can personally assure
you that Jeff and Joe were NEVER in any danger because of the
delamination.
Seeing four of our boats running at Key West was very exciting
and rewarding we are looking forward to a great season next
year for all of our boats.
Best regards,
John Cosker
President
Mystic Powerboats Inc. """

Sean H
05-04-2009, 08:23 PM
The same thing that happens when a MTI or Skater has the same problem. Usually starts with a small imperfection and goes downhill from there.

fund razor
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't a member of this board so Sean Stinson alerted me to this thread.

As stated above I am going to stand behind my product and put Joe and Jeff into a new boat. They are meeting with John Arruda today to go over the rigging transfer details.

The water intruded into the cockpit through holes cut in the structure during rigging. When the bottom delaminated we lost one bulkhead in the sponson but the safety cage around the occupants STAYED IN TACT. In light of this on all of my boats I will call them back to the shop after rigging and put structural safety shields over all rigging holes. I have already discussed this with some of my teams.

I never know enough and life is a constant evolution. If every entrepreneur or person responsible for technological advances were looked at as cavalier and ridiculed where would we be? I like the styling of some dugout canoes but they would be a pretty boring race.

I have talked to almost all of my racers in the last couple of days about upgrades revisions and ways to make the boats safer and more advanced. I welcome all of their input, it only makes my boats better. Is that cavalier?

I've been in this industry nearly 20 years and there are those whose "time in" eclipses mine. I listen to them very carefully. I don't watch these posts much so if anyone would like to discuss this with me in person my office number is 386-736-451-0047, my cell phone is 386-451-0047, and my home phone is 386-760-9166. Even better stop by and see what we do here.

Best regards,

John Cosker
Mystic Powerboats Inc.

This should help. You must not have found this one.

fund razor
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
It is nice to have the manufacturers here on the forum. Really helps get down to it.

TEAMBAJA
05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
It is nice to have the manufacturers here on the forum. Really helps get down to it.
Pretty impressive post from Mystic in my opinion.

MarylandMark
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM

You can say that again!

LaughingCat
05-04-2009, 09:57 PM
It's an unfortunate situation that any tangible product manufacturer dreads. a measure of their character is the willingness to participate in the remedy and do what's right. That, of course, assumes there is a manufacturing defect. then there is JNJ. When Tylenol was tainted with cyanide, they replaced all, even though they knew it wasnt their fault. Eventually the perp was caught, but JNJ knew they had to protect their brand image.

Kudos to Mystic for being part of the solution.

05-04-2009, 10:18 PM

+4 :sifone:

DollaBill
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
This should help. You must not have found this one.

well that explains it. Stinson's involved :sifone::26:

Chris
05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Anything can be damaged or destroyed. If this was an Indy car that someone drove into a wall, would there be ongoing questions about it's manufacture? It broke. It will be fixed or replaced (or maybe both) and things will be learned in the process.

Interestingly, the involved parties are all very positive on the topic.

stecz20
05-04-2009, 11:07 PM
this is just a typical kenny thread. kenny loves to poke the bear.. one day the bear is gonna bite back...

glh
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM
... one day the bear is gonna bite back...Great Wisdom from Moses...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_odwu_bJENb8/SHywtrHFhhI/AAAAAAAABD0/bumtgtlP-M8/s400/grizzly%2Bgrowl.jpg

SHARKEY-IMAGES
05-05-2009, 05:48 AM
The same thing that happens when a MTI or Skater has the same problem. Usually starts with a small imperfection and goes downhill from there.
Or a MOTION :

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p105289033-3.jpg

For the entire sequence view here:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p541027519

Jassman
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Anything can be damaged or destroyed. If this was an Indy car that someone drove into a wall, would there be ongoing questions about it's manufacture? It broke. It will be fixed or replaced (or maybe both) and things will be learned in the process.

Interestingly, the involved parties are all very positive on the topic.

Agreed..its how the situation gets handled all all sides. Being positive and intent on figuring out the situation at hand and resolving the problem so it doesnt occur again is something of a lesson in itself. Great positive thread, and I wish more manufactures would get involved to educate us more. Cudo's Mystic.

catastrophe
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
John Cosker's reply couldn't have been better or more responsible.
Represented the best interests of his company, his product, his employees, his current clients and future purchasers all in one letter.

The home phone number was like his gorgeous boats...above and beyond.

KUDOS

BraceYourself
05-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Great response by Mystic Powerboats.

Sean Stinson
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
If you want to get down to it check out the Nicolini Boat that Steve Curtis crashed the whole back side is gone!!!!

The fact of the matter is that anything pushed to the edge will have a point at which it fails if a small imperfection starts unoticed that imperfection will grow to a large one ESPECIALLY when it is pushed to that edge!!!! I don't care what manufacturer it is they ALL have imperfections....Enough Said!!!!!!!

TIKI
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I feel for Mystic...for not being a high production builder, they are really going to take a hit ($) on this.

Sunsation96
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Great response by Mystic Powerboats.

X4 I can't agree more:) I love thier boats! They are truly a work of art.

Lomax
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
pretty impressive post from mystic in my opinion.

+5

Pro1
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I feel for Mystic...for not being a high production builder, they are really going to take a hit ($) on this.

I agree. But this is why you go back and buy boats or parts from that builder!!
All about doing the right thing. A few boat builders have done the the right thing. I was surprised to see this boat have a problem. This boat looked real nice.

Tom A.
05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Poking the bear!:sifone:

GENERAL LEE
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Absolutely.

It's refreshing to not have some clueless idiot come in trying to debate John's explaination as well. Good stuff!

sellsman11
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Absolutely.

It's refreshing to not have some clueless idiot come in trying to debate John's explaination as well. Good stuff!

I think Stecz DID post on this thread!!!:rofl::rofl::biggrinjester: