PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

baronmarine
05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
has anyone used a clay bar on there boat before waxing or wheeling?? i just finished clay baring my deck before bluffing/waxing. man that took some time. it was the first time i used one. didn't turn out as well as i thought it would. but it sure is clean. going to start wheeling and waxing sunday. 2 weeks to go.
todd

redhotsommer
05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
I've used one on my Vette (a BIT less fiberglass than the Gun!)...took all the old excess wax buildup right off. Yes, very time consuming, but it came out looking great. For the boat, I just cut it, glaze it and then put two coats of wax on before the season..LOTSA wheel time, but man does that sucker shine. Just don't try to walk on the deck with socks on!

JupiterSunsation
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
What did you expect for a result? I believe clay bars are only intended to remove debris stuck/embedded on the surface. It isn't supposed to make it shine any better....

Jassman
05-01-2009, 08:34 AM
you should use an ozidation remover and buff to get contaminates out..Then polish with your favorite product..(subliminal message..LOL)Leverage..Leverage..Leverage...I should be using Leverage products cause they are the best and have an excellent support team to help me with any questions.....

anyways..here's a few threads to help you out. Call me if you have any questions and I'll walk you through the process...Good Luck Jeff

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/185093-how-i-use-leverage-polish-oxidation-remover.html

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/Leverage-Products-c2.html

baronmarine
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
What did you expect for a result? I believe clay bars are only intended to remove debris stuck/embedded on the surface. It isn't supposed to make it shine any better....

i tought it may take a few stains out. but i know the compound will take care of that. the boat was a pretty good shine to it after the clay bar. but it is always inside when not used.

todd

baronmarine
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
you should use an ozidation remover and buff to get contaminates out..Then polish with your favorite product..(subliminal message..LOL)Leverage..Leverage..Leverage...I should be using Leverage products cause they are the best and have an excellent support team to help me with any questions.....

anyways..here's a few threads to help you out. Call me if you have any questions and I'll walk you through the process...Good Luck Jeff

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/185093-how-i-use-leverage-polish-oxidation-remover.html

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/Leverage-Products-c2.html

thanks jeff

baronmarine
05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I've used one on my Vette (a BIT less fiberglass than the Gun!)...took all the old excess wax buildup right off. Yes, very time consuming, but it came out looking great. For the boat, I just cut it, glaze it and then put two coats of wax on before the season..LOTSA wheel time, but man does that sucker shine. Just don't try to walk on the deck with socks on!

2 coats of wax ?? your killin me mike. i know about that walking on the deck. i fell off mine two years ago after a good wax job. hey you making a grand haven trip this summer?

todd

Magic Medicine
05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
mine gets too coats of wax as well before it hits the water

boot-e-licious
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
well we are on this subject, somebody got overspray all over the deck of my boat,don't know who, it is not heavy but noticable. whats the best way to remove it? any info would help,thanks.

Offshore Ginger
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
has anyone used a clay bar on there boat before waxing or wheeling?? i just finished clay baring my deck before bluffing/waxing. man that took some time. it was the first time i used one. didn't turn out as well as i thought it would. but it sure is clean. going to start wheeling and waxing sunday. 2 weeks to go.
todd Todd i have been using them for over thirty years and when i worked at Thompson Boats many life years away that was the only compound out there that was worth a hoot . Todd there are a lot of brands out there and some are better then others , i have used the bar at Thompson Boats , S 2-YACHTS , Skater ,and even PQ .:26:

clayinaustin
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Ha Ha! I though there was a drinking bar full of Claymates! :p

detail toyz
05-01-2009, 07:32 PM

That would be correct. I have a detail business and we dont clay boats very often. You can clay gelcoat but its mainly for clear coat. So boats that have a clear coat paint job is what you might do before waxing. I clay bared the whole Mr. Sweeper 40 Skater once. Just strips all the fall out and little dirt particles so when your done waxing it comes out feeling smooth and slick as ice.

detail toyz
05-01-2009, 07:35 PM
well we are on this subject, somebody got overspray all over the deck of my boat,don't know who, it is not heavy but noticable. whats the best way to remove it? any info would help,thanks.

Try claying the section first, if that doesnt work use a high speed buffer with a light compound, wool pad. Then take like a 3m finse-it with foam pad to get rid of buff marks and polish, then finish with a good wax/polish. I use the stuff from Driven, because nothing sticks to it. Exhaust lines will wipe off perfectly with your fingers 3 days later. It is also a sealant.

PM If you have any other questions

Chad

boot-e-licious
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
thank you chad

sledge
05-01-2009, 08:24 PM
FWIW, there aren't supposed to be any chemicals in the bar itself so it all depends on what you use for a lubricating agent. And with gel coat being porous it makes it that more difficult.

Is a Magic Eraser safe on gel coat? Using the juice from an Eraser with a clay bar might yield some clean results.

redhotsommer
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
2 coats of wax ?? your killin me mike. i know about that walking on the deck. i fell off mine two years ago after a good wax job. hey you making a grand haven trip this summer?

todd

That could very well be in the cards this year Todd. Just sold my hoist and I'm out of Hammond. Redid the trailer last year in anticipation. As long as the noise police aren't bad, I'd love to go back up there.

And yeah...two coats on the deck AND I spray wax I almost every morning I go out.

baronmarine
05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
i started wheeling last night. i have a little over half the deck done. and it is turning out just great. the boat looks wet just sitting in the shop. and yes mike i'm going with 2 coats of wax. hope to see ya up here. i don't know about the noise polise yet. have not seen them in the water yet.

todd

redhotsommer
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Nice and shiny! I love it when you can see the reflection of the sky on the deck!

baronmarine
05-04-2009, 08:30 AM
mike our cottage is straght ahead of your bow light there. bottom of the hill where the tree line stops. south side (left) of the channel.

todd