PDA

View Full Version : Tilt trailers questions?

GRADS
05-01-2009, 04:43 AM
I was looking through the pictures from Desert Storm and noticed there were quite a few boats on tilt trailers and I was wondering if you have to drain your fluids (engine oil, drive oil, gas, etc.) everytime you tilt it? Do you sometimes tow it without tilting it? If you do have to drain the fluids do you re-use them or put new ones in everytime you take it out?

JupiterSunsation
05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
No fluid drains on boats....... but the trailers themselves can't be dipped in salt water, in that instance boats need to be lifted off. Not sure about fresh water dips but I suspect those trailers don't like getting wet.

Lubejobs42
05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure about alll boats but MTIs are built do they can be tilted without losing fluids. My boat has dry sump motors. I think the motors need to be dry sumped to tilt them.

Tom A.
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
From what I was told the boats have to be set up to tilt with dry sump motors and drives and the reservoirs set to the low side of the boat when tilted. Besides not being able to dunk the tilt trailer, they are very heavy. You need a 650 or bigger truck to haul it.

Bgchuby01
05-02-2009, 12:10 AM
The new lugo trailer can be dunked. And you can tow them in the down position. When you tilt you change out your trim caps with non venting ones and the same for the dry sump tanks. Best way is to rig the boat new set up for tilting

detail toyz
05-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing, If they are dry sumped they dont have to drain the oil. But when I saw Teague with the race boat he had to drain the oil out of the 525s cause they arent dry sumped.