PDA

View Full Version : Who is getting cut this week, GM or Chrysler?

JupiterSunsation
04-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Today is the deadline........... Looks like the hedge fund guys are getting greedy, as in they aren't interested in 40,000+ jobs but want their money back which like a Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme it is all gone..... Funny without the govt. money they would have been broke 6 months ago but they actually think they are entitled to something but they are just hedge fund investors not actual workers. Looks like you guys bet on the wrong horse.....:sifone:

Looks like Chrysler will head towards chapter 11 today........

DollaBill
04-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I called Chrysler a LOOOOONG time ago

cigdaze
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Chrysler's done, it seems.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a97rZxZqE4S8&refer=worldwide

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Chrysler's done, it seems.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a97rZxZqE4S8&refer=worldwide

Now, will our government allow them to restructure and make a strong, viable, company without major mandates? Hope so....

Davidmnc
04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Now, will our government allow them to restructure and make a strong, viable, company without major mandates? Hope so....

I think you will see some one pick up Jeep, but I am not sure what will happen to the rest of the company.

mosi
04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Bring back the K car.

Magic Medicine
04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Somehow I don't find this amusing

Chris
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't see any jokes. The K car saved them last time. A 21's century K car is what they need.

With some technical innovation from Fiat and a workforce realignment that brings them to cost-competitiveness with some of the foreign producers, a revamped Chrysler could probably survive and prosper. But it's going to be a smaller company.

mosi
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I was NOT joking!!!!

JupiterSunsation
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I have never owned a Chrysler. I did have two very short experiences with Jeep (one about 2 months, the other about a year). I think the product line is terrible right now. Jeep should make a Cherokee and a Wrangler the Compass/Liberty line is a waste. Chrysler should keep a minivan, the 300's and leave the trucks to the Dodge line. The small economy cars are rentals at best.....

jmeng
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Crap, didn't occur to me that Jeeps might dissapear. Might screw up my plans to have a Wrangler for a weekend toy one day.

Dave
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
This is Chapter 11 reorganization, not liquidation. I don't blame the bond holders. Giving 55% ownership to the CWA would have been certain liquidation. Chrysler has to become profitable in order to attract private investment to grow again. No company can grow and prosper under government or union ownership. It is just not possible. When you says "Chrysler Corp" you include Chrysler cars, Jeep, and Dodge.

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I think you will see some one pick up Jeep, but I am not sure what will happen to the rest of the company.

If done correctly, the company should be better, and be whole. I believe under Chapter 11 Chrysler will save $7.7 billion per year just in retiree benefits expenses. Let alone whatever it saves in other expenses and contract renegotiations.

phragle
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Crap, didn't occur to me that Jeeps might dissapear. Might screw up my plans to have a Wrangler for a weekend toy one day.

Jeep will survive..who will own it remains to be seen...but it is a desireable brand. jeep survived willys overland, jeep, and AMC... the brand is used to bumpy roads.

Davidmnc
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
If done correctly, the company should be better, and be whole. I believe under Chapter 11 Chrysler will save $7.7 billion per year just in retiree benefits expenses. Let alone whatever it saves in other expenses and contract renegotiations.

Glad I didn't retire from Chrysler! :ack2:

phragle
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
if gm looses retirement benefits... I can forget about a boat when I finish school, as i will be paying student loans as supporting my retired dad, that said, I can probably forget about ever retiring myself as I will not be able to put any money away towards it.

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
if gm looses retirement benefits... I can forget about a boat when I finish school, as i will be paying student loans as supporting my retired dad, that said, I can probably forget about ever retiring myself as I will not be able to put any money away towards it.

Don't let them overly scare you with that. The current law guarantees all pensions up to a maximum of $54,000 per year. The thing they lose, if they retired early, is free health, dental, etc. benefits. The two pension plans are fairly well funded on the actual pension side. The health is a different issue. It depends on if they are old enough to qualify for Medicare/Medicaid. If not, they all need to get together and pool as a group to get a good interim deal. The health care companies can't afford to lose that many clients either.

The savings are just on the benefits portion of the retiree program. I think GM's is around $16 billion per year.

Chris
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm just glad that after 15 months they paid their net-30 invoice in February.

They called last month with problems. I faxed them a pro forma and wire transfer information. I'm now glad we put them on CIA. They were pi$$ed.

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM

They called last month with problems. I faxed them a pro forma and wire transfer information. I'm now glad we put them on CIA. They were pi$$ed.

Good job. I have an acquaintance who they owe $1.3 million.....:ack2:

MarylandMark
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Working man getting screwed again

Davidmnc
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

You have to do what you have to do to protect your business.

Bobcat
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't see any jokes. The K car saved them last time. A 21's century K car is what they need.

With some technical innovation from Fiat and a workforce realignment that brings them to cost-competitiveness with some of the foreign producers, a revamped Chrysler could probably survive and prosper. But it's going to be a smaller company.

that was because the government bought so many, especially the air force, we had one for the flight line!

mosi
04-30-2009, 06:17 PM
and....if the government owns a part of the Company.......how many cars do you think the government will purchase in the near future?