PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm/APBA Boat rolls during race at Havasu (Pics/Vid)

Tank
04-30-2009, 12:43 AM
They walked away un-hurt.

Video:

SyKBOv9UYzQ

Pics:

Perlmudder
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
ouch. glad to see everybody is alright. how did that happen?

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2009, 01:59 AM
That is about the weirdest rollover I've ever seen...

AIR TIME
04-30-2009, 03:13 AM
what brand of boat size and power??? they were lucky

boatme
04-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Holy Crap I have never seen a slow roll like that

Tank, any details ???

stainless
04-30-2009, 05:34 AM
what brand of boat size and power??? they were lucky
:sifone:

cigdaze
04-30-2009, 08:00 AM
How the heck did that happen? It appeared to me that it was just moving along in smooth water, and simply barrel rolled? Steering or mechanical failure?????

Beak Boater
04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Some more info on BoatFreaks from the driver about the roll

Ratickle
04-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Looking at the buoy by where it happened, they must have been in a left turn and it just looks straight from the camera angle.

cigdaze
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Looking at the buoy by where it happened, they must have been in a left turn and it just looks straight from the camera angle.
The more I watch it, the more I think you're correct. I guess from the camera distance, there's some depth distortion. But still, wow.

Sydwayz
04-30-2009, 09:32 AM
It looks like the 2nd occupant stayed in the boat a LONG time; almost back to wet side down.

10x
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow, just glad to hear that noone was badly injured.

Sea-Dated
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Wow..... What are the details?

Ryan Beckley
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
The boat is a 39' Extreme one of the old Ettore Squeeges Boats. It had been cut open and heavily modified.

shifter
05-01-2009, 02:40 AM
That shot is from the spectator fleet at the end if the course. The pillow you are looking at was turn 1. I watched it happen from the bluff 90 deg from that shot. When he came into the corner there was an ititial slight roll outboard (Just after the bars in the video) Then it bow steered picking the tail out of the water then over she went flinging Dave out first then Justin went for a tube ride in the cockpit before coming out. You can see Justin bounce off the water and go into the back seat before coming out. The rescue was right on them when it happened, Scott said the first thing Justin said was "Wow, what an E ticket ride!"

They are both fine (fortunately). The hatches were torn off and the rear motor sustained a little damage. Electronics, flame arrestor, header flattened... The front was still running after the roll. They had their lanyards on but they ripped the buckles out of the life jackets.

The boat was modified by Eddie Morance when it was a SV boat. It rolled in San Diego in 2000 at Bayfair. They sold it and the new owner cut off the lid and made it into a pleasure boat.

They should make it back for the next race at Long Beach... They do not have a sponsor but they want to go racing again. This was their first race.

Anyone out there that wants to help them out just get a hold of pacificoffshore or pm me.

pat W

boatme
05-01-2009, 05:24 AM
Glad to hear all are ok Looked pretty scarry

Not trying to be critical but why did they cut the lid off if they were going to race it ???

Ryan Beckley
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I am pretty sure the lid was cut off long before these guys bough the boat.

Wardey
05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
The boat is a 39' Extreme one of the old Ettore Squeeges Boats. It had been cut open and heavily modified.

Correct. The old Ettore boat that the canopy was cut off. Tittled under another manufacture, and sold by a Florida dealer to a guy out in CA. (Trying not to be specific and keep everyone at peace) Dave

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
ouch. glad to see everybody is alright. how did that happen?

I will bet money that it sat down on the front step as he let up on the gas just a bit and it then pivoted on the step putting it into the roll!!!

Wardey
05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Damn stepped hulls..........Dave

cigdaze
05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
...Tittled under another manufacture, and sold by a Florida dealer to a guy out in CA...

WTF?...All you can do is shake your head.

Ryan Beckley
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
The Amazing thing was the guy who bought the boat thought it was a SKATER when he bought it! It's hard to believe someone could spend that much money without doing the homework first and know the difference between boats........

Wardey
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Yep....I wasn't going to mention names.........and tittled as a __________. Dave

baddogz28
05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
The Amazing thing was the guy who bought the boat thought it was a SKATER when he bought it! It's hard to believe someone could spend that much money without doing the homework first and know the difference between boats........

Wait you mean that's NOT a Skater? :leaving: :rofl:

Ryan Beckley
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
yea well he posted a bunch of the story somewhere else......shady deals happen every day.....I am just glad the guys are OK....they seem to be taking the accident very well. I hope they think about it and take it a little more seriously for there sake!

Dude! Sweet!
05-01-2009, 11:09 AM
AH!!! NOW I know what boat that is... I was looking at the pictures trying to figure it out earlier this week. Thanks guys! Glad nobody got hurt!

Wardey
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes, I was contacted by a well respected boat person who sent me pictures of the boat asking if it was an Extreme, I said yes I beleive it's the old Ettore boat that had the canopy cut off. I said, "Doe's the hull ID number start with FZK ?" He say's ," No, it's ________.His reply was, "Wow, they have a hull ID # as a ________________ ???? I said "no way, it's an Extreme." It was a total mess. Excuse me, you can't change the hull numbers on a boat !!! I think that is A LITTLE illegal !!!! Long....long...story. Dave

Wardey
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
The white boat is the one that was chopped. The blue boat is the only pleasure open cock-pit 39 Extreme ever built. Dave

phragle
05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Im not a boat designer...bu to me that front step looks further forward than most..

Wardey
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
The step was played with alot. Spates changed it a few times after the Ettore boat was built and had it where it worked perfect when the hull molds were sold. Dave

Tom A.
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I inquired about the white boat a few years ago when it was listed for sale as a Skater V. I was told that it was an Extreme built by Skater. There were a few other things that didn't jive that I can't remember now so I did not pursue it.

Wardey
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I inquired about the white boat a few years ago when it was listed for sale as a Skater V. I was told that it was an Extreme built by Skater. There were a few other things that didn't jive that I can't remember now so I did not pursue it.

Skater has NEVER built an Extreme. The only thing they might have in common was that Mike Peters designed the original 39 mold. I don't know if he did any Skater molds. Dave

Tom A.
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I knew that and that is why I did not buy it. There was too much mis-representation going on back then. That boat when it raced was a badazz looking boat.

shifter
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I think that most people who own boats should race atleast once to find out what the limits are to the equipment they have.

We are helping them make some changes to the boat to help it be more stable and keep this kind of accident from happening again to them.

Sean, you are king of an expert on the f2 boats what happened to you and Dick S? Was it similar to this?

Th steps on the boat are stock for the early Extremes.

pat W

shifter
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Tom A, That is not the same boat. That boat is now AVR see pic.

Ettore had 1 powerplay ,2 extremes, and a fountain. The first extreme (white boat) is now Justins and the 2nd extreme (white purple orange etc) is now Daves.

pat W

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I think that most people who own boats should race atleast once to find out what the limits are to the equipment they have.

We are helping them make some changes to the boat to help it be more stable and keep this kind of accident from happening again to them.

Sean, you are king of an expert on the f2 boats what happened to you and Dick S? Was it similar to this?

Th steps on the boat are stock for the early Extremes.

pat W

Same exact thing Pat set it on the front step and backed off just a bit going into the turn and pivoted it on the step....Same thing in St. Pete spun it on the step if anything upsets it in the turn you better be ready to drive it out of it!!!!

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Run the video and pause it at the 12 second mark......you can see where he set to go into the turn because you can see the water starting to vent out of the step which means the back is already starting to break loose....and whoops here we go hope the water is warm!!!!! Anyway Pat has been doing alot of work with boats as far as CG, Engine and drive placement so that they're much more stable all around as well as fast!!!! And lets not forget that his drive performs extremely well as he has been raising the bar for years!!!

Tank
05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I knew that and that is why I did not buy it. There was too much mis-representation going on back then. That boat when it raced was a badazz looking boat.

My wife took that pic at the Ventura offshore races in the early 2000's. It was a week or two before scot Conrad stuffed it in Florida.

Hey sean, where's the pics of the f-2 roll? I know you have them to post!

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
My wife took that pic at the Ventura offshore races in the early 2000's. It was a week or two before scot Conrad stuffed it in Florida.

Hey sean, where's the pics of the f-2 roll? I know you have them to post!

I will see if I can locate them!!!!:sifone::sifone:

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Frames 1, 2, & 3!!!!!

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I dont want to rob the other ones from the other site so I will have to dig them up!!!

Tank
05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Frames 1, 2, & 3!!!!!

Looks like the exact same thing....

And you can borrow the pics from the other site. Once they're posted they're free game!:sifone::sifone:

By the way, there's that video floating around of the yellow Cig in Europe that did this exact same thing too. Identical roll.

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Here is the next 3 and getting hit by the boat isn't fun let me tell you first hand!!!

Sean Stinson
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Here's the last one I have one more somewhere but it's on another hard drive.......

Funniest thing about the whole thing is for those of you who know Dick Simon know he is a short bald headed guy who wears boots alot of the time.....before the race I was giving Dick crap about wearing cowboy boats while racing so after the spin Dick ended up head first into my bolster and all you could see were those cowboy boots sticking up in the air kicking... while I was swimming back to the boat but they (rescue) wouldn't let me get back in the boat they said being thrown and hit by the boat was to violent which was the right call but I was laughing so hard I was crying watching those boots sticking up in the air!!!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone: