PDA

View Full Version : toyota trucks falling apart

MattBMiller
04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Why is stuff liek this rarely made public. If it were the big 3, the media would be all over it. God forbid they call out Toyota...:ack2:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/19294250/detail.html

MacGyver
04-29-2009, 07:47 AM
You get what you pay for :rolleyes:

Magic Medicine
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Amazing how we don't here more stuff like this

cigdaze
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Wow. I'd say those are some substantial issues. First I've heard of this.

VtSteve
04-29-2009, 09:48 AM
One of the reasons the Big Three don't do that is because it leaves them exposed to the many problems they essentially ignored for many years. It might also reveal something that the Big Three has not been famous for, owning up to mistakes. I know a few Tacoma owners that went right out to buy a new one after this PR winner.

"Toyota agreed --- and offered buyback deals for one-and-a-half times the vehicle's Blue Book value.
"Toyota really does need to step up here and extend that warranty beyond the vehicles that they've already covered to include any vehicles of theirs that has this kind of problem," Kane said.
In a written statement, Toyota told Team 5 Investigates that they've had only a small number of complaints and are investigating each one. They said, "using the information obtained from the Tacoma, we pro-actively investigate other vehicles of similar design and production elements." The company added, it "takes great pride in the durability and quality of our products.""

Can you imagine Dodge or Chevy or Ford doing this?

As the global economy becomes the deciding factor in purchasing, there can be overlapping problems. Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all had their issues this decade in particular. Pushing the envelope in transmissions, body components and increasing engine efficiency at the same time has it's drawbacks. Honda had some transmission problems with the V6 models awhile back, Toyota had a few as well. I doubt there are many Chevy truck owners that haven't heard the term "yeah, there's a bulletin out on that".

With Silverado production jumping up in Canada and Mexico, but All the losses coming back home, it's a complicated game out there now.

Ratickle
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
One of the reasons the Big Three don't do that is because it leaves them exposed to the many problems they essentially ignored for many years. It might also reveal something that the Big Three has not been famous for, owning up to mistakes. I know a few Tacoma owners that went right out to buy a new one after this PR winner.

"Toyota agreed --- and offered buyback deals for one-and-a-half times the vehicle's Blue Book value.
"Toyota really does need to step up here and extend that warranty beyond the vehicles that they've already covered to include any vehicles of theirs that has this kind of problem," Kane said.
In a written statement, Toyota told Team 5 Investigates that they've had only a small number of complaints and are investigating each one. They said, "using the information obtained from the Tacoma, we pro-actively investigate other vehicles of similar design and production elements." The company added, it "takes great pride in the durability and quality of our products.""

Can you imagine Dodge or Chevy or Ford doing this?

As the global economy becomes the deciding factor in purchasing, there can be overlapping problems. Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all had their issues this decade in particular. Pushing the envelope in transmissions, body components and increasing engine efficiency at the same time has it's drawbacks. Honda had some transmission problems with the V6 models awhile back, Toyota had a few as well. I doubt there are many Chevy truck owners that haven't heard the term "yeah, there's a bulletin out on that".

With Silverado production jumping up in Canada and Mexico, but All the losses coming back home, it's a complicated game out there now.

I heard about it. A friend was on the recall and took the money and bought a new one. The crap car dealers were selling them for a bunch so people to could turn them in.

Audiofn
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
At leaste with Toyota they will probably do something about it. Ford would just tell them to **** up a rope. My car was 500 miles out of warrantee and needed about 1200 bucks worth of work and Ford told me screw.

MattBMiller
04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
At leaste with Toyota they will probably do something about it. Ford would just tell them to **** up a rope. My car was 500 miles out of warrantee and needed about 1200 bucks worth of work and Ford told me screw.

Out of warranty, should have bought the extended warranty if wanted continued coverage.

Warlock28SXT
04-30-2009, 08:24 AM
How fitting yesterday at the gas station I saw a sticker that read "my truck is made with wrenches not chopsticks":26::26:

MattBMiller
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
:rofl:

JupiterSunsation
04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
The big three has stepped up, anyone remember the Ford Explorer tire recall? The facts came out that the tires were fine but when under inflated they had issues. Is Ford on the hook everytime some knucklehead doesn't check the tire pressure before a trip out on the highway. Chevy bought back the 70's/early 80's Silverados with the side impact gas tanks despite a "rigged" 60 minutes/20-20 expose.

Toyotas are fine for a light duty job like delivering pizzas but would I want to tow anything with a Tacoma, NO WAY...... The Tundra has gotten bigger/more powerful but the crewmax (longer crew cab) is the only one worth looking at.

Airpacker
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Toyota had more recalls in 08 than anyone else by the way.

JS, the exploder / tire fiasco was as a direct result of Ford advising people to lower the tire pressure because of severe harsh ride complaints so YES, Ford was to blame. Firestone fell on its sword in order to protect the multi billion in sales it did with Ford yearly.

Sunsation96
04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
How fitting yesterday at the gas station I saw a sticker that read "my truck is made with wrenches not chopsticks":26::26:

I want one:26: That is awesome

catastrophe
04-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Does anyone here have the resources to check and see if Toyotas frames are made by DANA in the USA.?

cigdaze
04-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Toyota had more recalls in 08 than anyone else by the way.
Well aware. I looked up all recalls and TSB's from the NHTSA. Toyota indeed had the most recalls. Ford was actually quite low on the list. GM wasn't far behind Toyota. This is something else you won't be reading about in Car&Driver, Consumer Reports, etc.

Audiofn
04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Out of warranty, should have bought the extended warranty if wanted continued coverage.

First off I did buy the extended warratee. Of course nothing is covered under it like rotors and paint. :ack2: Second when I made the appointment with them the car was in warrantee. I drive about 1000-1500 miles a week on average so when it came into the shop it was out. Secondly one of the issues was peeling paint. That is on a 1 year old car. I am ok with the brakes as they are clearly wear items, but paint that is one year old and peeling is insane for them to not cover. My buddies Toyota needed a clutch out of warranatee and Toyota paid for a good chunk of it. They could have replaced all the parts for 160 bucks retail or about 80 bucks to them on a 40,000 dollar car. For them to tell me to go pound sand lets me know that they do not care about their customers. I have customers that have product that I take care of years out of warrantee because it keeps them coming back. Last I checked Ford needs people to come back. They should learn that customer service is all that they have in this economy.

Airpacker
04-30-2009, 10:09 AM
First off I did buy the extended warratee. Of course nothing is covered under it like rotors and paint. :ack2: Second when I made the appointment with them the car was in warrantee. I drive about 1000-1500 miles a week on average so when it came into the shop it was out. Secondly one of the issues was peeling paint. That is on a 1 year old car. I am ok with the brakes as they are clearly wear items, but paint that is one year old and peeling is insane for them to not cover. My buddies Toyota needed a clutch out of warranatee and Toyota paid for a good chunk of it. They could have replaced all the parts for 160 bucks retail or about 80 bucks to them on a 40,000 dollar car. For them to tell me to go pound sand lets me know that they do not care about their customers. I have customers that have product that I take care of years out of warrantee because it keeps them coming back. Last I checked Ford needs people to come back. They should learn that customer service is all that they have in this economy.

Sounds like a dealer level issue to me Jon. Seriously. You would be amazed at how many FREE 3.8 l Ford motors were replaced "out of warranty" because of a known issue. If you were under 100,000 miles, no questions asked free replacement of complete engine if the heads leaked coolant into the crankcase.

Audiofn
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I tried to even get them to bring in the area rep to take a look and they refused. So I called up Ford and they refused as well. So as far as I am concerned I gave Ford the opportunity to take care of it even if the dealer did not want to, and they refused. Not a huge deal it is 160 bucks and it will not even cost me that much because I will take them off and paint them when my brother is spraying black next time at the shop but it goes to show that they just don't care. Something that would have cost them next to nothing to replace cost them THOUSANDS down the road and that is why they deserve to fail IMO. I will not likely buy another Ford automobile, and I will mother fu ck them tell the cows come home every chance I get on boards like this. :D I am even thinking about having Beckley make me up some huge azz 20 foot long stickers for my snow mobile trailer sides. :D

Big Time
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
My buddy bought a used tocoma for 4K, drove it for a year, then took it to a shop when it started to rattle on the highway. The guys at the shop wouldn't let him out of the shop with the truck because the frame was so rusted. He went back to the dealership where suppposedly they do a 200 pt check to make sure the truck is ok before they sell it, but got no where with them. Finally bi*ched and moaned enough to Toyota they they cut him a 14k check for his truck. Not bad if you ask me.

phragle
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Does anyone here have the resources to check and see if Toyotas frames are made by DANA in the USA.?

I know that Dana was working on the Sequia (sic) rear indepent suspension system. My brother was working on it. toyota then went with thier own design

TIKI
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
My wife drives a Sequoia and it's the best car I have ever owned! And I've had many from all the makes....big 3 and foreign.

MacGyver
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
My wife drives a Sequoia

I'm so sorry to hear that :rofl:

cuda
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
My wife drives a Sequoia and it's the best car I have ever owned! And I've had many from all the makes....big 3 and foreign.

Thus the exception to the rule is proved again.