PDA

View Full Version : tickets are on the rise

phragle
04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Motorists beware: In some communities, police are issuing tickets during these hard times at a rate higher than ever in what critics say is an attempt to raise revenue in order to offset budget shortfalls.

Take, for example, the metropolitan Detroit area, which has been reeling economically much longer than has the rest of the country. The number of moving violations issued has increased by at least 50 percent in 18 communities in the metro area since 2002 — and 11 of those municipalities have seen ticketing increases of 90 percent or more. During that time, Michigan has cut revenue sharing to communities by $3 billion. Officials are scrambling to balance their budgets amid the tumbling economy, and some people say the authorities are turning to traffic cops for help.

The president of a state police union isn't pretending it doesn't happen. James Tignanelli, president of the Police Officers Association of Michigan union, says, "When elected officials say, 'We need more money,' they can't look to the department of public works to raise revenues, so where do they find it? Police departments.

"A lot of police chiefs will tell you the goal is to have nobody speeding through their community, but heaven forbid if it should actually happen — they'd be out of money," Tignanelli says.

Police Chief Michael Reaves of Utica, Michigan, says the role of law enforcement has changed over the years. "When I first started in this job 30 years ago, police work was never about revenue enhancement, but if you're a chief now, you have to look at whether your department produces revenues," he says. "That's just the reality nowadays."

Motorists such as George Hilliard are outraged at the ramped-up traffic enforcement. Hilliard, a 49-year-old warehouse worker who's been laid off, says he got a ticket last year near his home in Dearborn Heights on a section of road where the speed limit drops suddenly from 45 to 35 mph. A few weeks later, his son got a ticket on the same stretch of road. A few weeks after that, according to Hilliard, his other son got a ticket in the same spot.

"The cops sit out there and pick people off, one by one," Hilliard says. "They're catching people left and right. There's a McDonald's right there, and they pull people in there all day. They'll give you a ticket for going five miles over the speed limit. They're making so much money off people, it's ridiculous." Driving 5 mph over the limit is a $90 ticket in Dearborn Heights and tacks two points onto the motorist's driving record.

Garrett TeWinkle of Seal Beach, California, was headed to a wedding in Ohio recently when he was given a speeding ticket in Taylor, a few miles from Detroit Metro Airport.

"I was astounded to get a speeding ticket," TeWinkle says. "Even my wife, who is my harshest critic, says there is no way I was driving as fast as the officer said. I hadn't had a ticket in years.

"I had been under the impression that Michigan was trying to promote tourism," TeWinkle says. "Great way to make a first impression — no wonder the state's economy is in the porcelain."

Kathleen Weckler of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, feels the same way. Last year, on her 80th birthday, she was on her way to the dentist when a police officer in nearby Birmingham gave her a ticket for running a red light. Weckler insists she didn't run the light — "but you can't fight them. It's their word against yours," she says.

"I told one officer that I used to tell my children that police officers are their friend — but with the [ticket] quotas, they are not any more," Weckler says.

Some police officers, such as Sgt. Richard Lyons of Trenton, Michigan, say they don't like being pressured to write more tickets.

"That's not what I got into law enforcement for — to hand out chintzy tickets," says Lyons, a 21-year veteran. "Things have changed from when I first started in this job. There was a time when you'd come in, do your job, and go home.

But I've never felt pressure to bring revenue to the city like we do now.

"It's a whole different ball game now," Lyons says. "They're trying to use police officers to balance the budget on the backs of drivers, and it's too bad. The people we count on to support us and help us when we're on the road are the ones who end up paying the bills, and they're ticked off about it. We might as well just go door to door and tell people, 'Slide us $100 now since your 16-year-old is going to end up paying us anyway when he starts driving.' You can't blame people for getting upset."

Jack Walker of Flint was given two speeding tickets within a few weeks of each other last year while driving in Orion Township. He says police are more aggressive than ever about stopping motorists.

"It's getting ridiculous: Police are using us as their fundraiser, and it's not right," Walker says. "They have more important things to do."

be carefull out there..... it seems it's turning into a new driving tax....the US is quickly turning into the USSR...

insanity
04-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Glorified meter maids.

Its been bad for awhile, but now its just ridiculous. You can't go 10 miles on the Ohio Turnpike without seeing a cop. I can wait a few more minutes to get where I'm going and drive a little slower, to keep from giving those vultures my money.

And Detroit is horrible, especially in the burbs. I've learned most of their hiding spots over the years on my commute up there.

northernoffshore
04-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Their everywhere, ticketing to make sure their paychecks clear.

MattBMiller
04-29-2009, 07:54 AM
They're writing tickets for anything now here in MI. :ack2:

mosi
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I found out FIRSTHAND, that cities with the Red Light Cameras are changing them to not only take pictures of people running red lights but they are now set up to monitor speeds and are sending out speeding citations.

It has been reported that there has been a car in Toledo, that has been repeatedly speeding Northbound past the camera on Westwood near University Hills with a sign covering his license plate that reads........F*CK YOU!!!!

:(

Trim'd Up
04-29-2009, 08:50 AM
My dad (retired cop) and I were just discussing this. His house is about 8 miles from mine through the "back roads" where, until recently, you never seen a cop. Now nearly every time I drive through there I see more than one. He said he was basically discouraged from writing speeding tickets etc. back when he was working. The chief wanted them trying to prevent crime, and catch criminals, not hassle someone driving 5mph over. Hell, I see several police cars every damn time I drive, and usually go through at least one roadblock a month.

I think it's time for some budget cuts, there are WAY to many cops on the road with nothing better to do than write traffic tickets.

Magic Medicine
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Have noticed that they are patroling the highways like crazy around here

insanity
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Only thing you can do is slow down, and make sure you don't have any other reason in/on your vehicle for them to pull you over and write a ticket. Maybe after some time and some budget cuts there will be so few of them, they will have to go back to actual police work.

LOL! I like it! Maybe its time to call Dan Bumpus, when I used to live up on Secor he came back and did a story about speeding through Old Orchard. Maybe this time he'll do one for the Old Orchard citizen taking it in the butt from the cameras!! :mad: :mad:

It has been reported that there has been a car in Toledo, that has been repeatedly speeding Northbound past the camera on Westwood near University Hills with a sign covering his license plate that reads........F*CK YOU!!!!

:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw2C_XR64Y

Buoy
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I think it's time for some budget cuts, there are WAY to many cops on the road with nothing better to do than write traffic tickets.

Yep, but that wouldn't be very popular.
Every time there is talk of budget cuts, and trimming down the police force, there is outcry (I'm not sure exactly who from, aside from the media).
It was going on in Southern OH just before I left.
"The streets won't be safe anymore" my azz...
These guys aren't catching criminals, they are collecting fees...

Also, with those cameras, out here, the cameras are mounted in a van, and they move them around daily, so you never know where they'll be.
Last week, some guy shot up one of those vans killing the video monitor guy that was inside doing his job (I believe he thought the vehicle was unoccupied, and just unloaded a magazine into it as he was driving by).

pullmytrigger
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
here's what I said to a cop who pulled me over for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign in the middle of some goofy residential subdivision......."yeah, thats it, keep giving people tickets for stupid things.....you know what?, one day you will want the publics help to catch a real bad guy....and you wont get it!!!"

mosi
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
LOL! I like it! Maybe its time to call Dan Bumpus, when I used to live up on Secor he came back and did a story about speeding through Old Orchard. Maybe this time he'll do one for the Old Orchard citizen taking it in the butt from the cameras!! :mad: :mad:

[/url]

LOL.......funny you mention that story. I live about 4 blocks from where he was doing that story with his radar gun. I went past him that day, saw what he was doing and went around the block. I was in my son's little toronado that ran like a raped ape. I came around the corner off of Kenwood and floored it. He was beaming as he flagged me over. When he asked me his 'hard hitting questions' as to if I knew how fast I was going.......I said not exactly.....that was why I was checking my speedometer with his gun. I told him I thought he had looked bored when I went past the first time and I thought I would add a little excitement to his day.

I talked to him for a while and told him where the real problems in the neighborhood were and after a bit more conversation....I left.

I don't remember what he clocked me at......but when he did the story.....he included my speed in the story.....
...."WE EVEN CLOCKED ONE DRIVER AS FAST AS.........." (whatever it was). LOL:biggrinjester:

04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
From Car and Driver;

Warning, can cause Blood Pressure to rise, especially in Arizona. :(

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the_man_column

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...robbery_column

insanity
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
LOL.......funny you mention that story. I live about 4 blocks from where he was doing that story with his radar gun. I went past him that day, saw what he was doing and went around the block. I was in my son's little toronado that ran like a raped ape. I came around the corner off of Kenwood and floored it. He was beaming as he flagged me over. When he asked me his 'hard hitting questions' as to if I knew how fast I was going.......I said not exactly.....that was why I was checking my speedometer with his gun. I told him I thought he had looked bored when I went past the first time and I thought I would add a little excitement to his day.

I talked to him for a while and told him where the real problems in the neighborhood were and after a bit more conversation....I left.

I don't remember what he clocked me at......but when he did the story.....he included my speed in the story.....
...."WE EVEN CLOCKED ONE DRIVER AS FAST AS.........." (whatever it was). LOL:biggrinjester:

LOL! I was the one that went though one of his live shots on my crotch rocket. I had just gotten home from work and my roommates told me to hurry up and go hauling ass down the street, they were getting ready to go live. I wasnt' sure exactly where he was at but if I had seen him just a little bit earlier he would have gotten a really good wheelie shot for his live shot! :sifone:

nortech4play
04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
They have to get their revenue somewhere....busting criminals who not are contributing to society doesn't put any money in the coffers..... We have the same thing going on up here...they keep publicizing that they have this grant or that grant...I think it's pure B.S. they are just trying to keep the money flowing into the system anyway they can...It used to be you would see one cop on the interstate system in town....these days you have city, county and the state patrol in force all hours of the day.... I say go out and bust some criminals and keep the public safe....

Cash Bar
04-29-2009, 10:37 PM
When you drive on 95 in S. Florida you have to watch every on-ramp since the LOCAL cops are setting up speed traps. I keep writing the paper biitchin that IS NOT THEIR JOB.

The State Troopers are supposed to be the MAIN enforcement on the interstates. F'n azzwipes.

jmoore32fever
04-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Paying the ticket doesn't bother me, it's the damn points on your license's making your insurance go through the roof, especially @ my age 24.... The other thing is cops sitting on the shoulders of highways @ night a foot outside the line completely blacked out is it that important to catch someone speeding & take that kind of risk of someone hitting them? Losing a life or several for a lousy $100-150 it's beyond ridiculous anymore, I work 2nd shift & n the past year have been pulled over 4 or 5 times not once for speeding? Basically just checking to see if I had been drinking every time asking where I'm coming from like it's any of there damn business

04-30-2009, 01:31 AM
It is another source of revenue

florida gator
05-02-2009, 12:03 PM
How about moving the area you have been anchoring near the beach then giving you a ticket for stopping where you always have????