PDA

View Full Version : If you had a choice between two jobs...

Buoy
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
As many of you know, I'm job hunting.
What do you think about this:
Pay would probably be equal.

Corporate gig, Retail.
Fully qualified.
Not dealing with the public, but have about 6 direct reports.
Hours will include evenings and weekends.
White-collar.
Dealing with Corporate.
Chances to move up if interested in the Corp. mindset.
Investment - none.

Construction gig.
Fully qualified.
Dealing with only homeowner, and boss/scheduler.
No direct reports.
Normal 8-5 job, some Saturday work. OT if wanted, sometimes mandatory. Possibly leave early if work is complete.
Blue-collar, physical labor.
No corporate.
No moving up, but possibility of getting used to the area and starting my own competition.
Investment - $500 - $1000 to upgrade some tools, vehicle provided.

No kids, or other outside things that would dictate schedule.
Wife is typical 7:30 to 5:30, and in a very good position.
What direction would you go?

Dude! Sweet!
04-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Which one pays the most and requires you to work the least? :D

I'd probably go with the construction job.

fund razor
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Number two looks tempting, knowing that you are (relatively) young.
And knowing that you are not a corporate kind of guy.

Do you remember our phone conversations when you had direct reports? ;)

sledge
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Retail sucks, evenings and weekends would mean less time with the wife (could be + or - :D ).
But, corp means minimal sweating/getting dirty and probably a better shot at good fringe benefits over the long term.

I gotta believe the construction gig is best if that's what you really want to do long term, or something that will easily transition to whatever it is you want to do. If you can make back the upfront tool upgrade pretty quick with OT it's a non-issue.

What's going to provide more income and/or more benefits (not just ins/vacation/retirement but also piece of mind) over the long term? Which one will let you get the boat finished quicker? :D

phragle
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
which one do you want to do?? when I got into EMS I took a 50% pay cut, but at the endo of the day I went home in a good mood, not feeling like I sh!t. dreading going to work everyday will effect your entire life.

Dude! Sweet!
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Its funny that you bring this up Tim, I was cleaning the bilge of the boat the other day and all of the sudden, out of no where, I was like "Am I really going to be able to deal with doing my f*cking current job for the next 20 years..."

insanity
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Working evenings and weekends sucks. Well evenings could be tolerable but no way on the weekends. Tried it at the last job and absolutely hated the fact that everybody I knew was out on the boats while I was at work :mad:. I prayed for rain every weekend I had to work, misery loves company you know...

ImaPoser
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Working evenings and weekends sucks. Well evenings could be tolerable but no way on the weekends. Tried it at the last job and absolutely hated the fact that everybody I knew was out on the boats while I was at work :mad:. I prayed for rain every weekend I had to work, misery loves company you know...

What he said. Evenings and weekends are a deal breaker for me.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you, because this is the debate I have going on in my head.
The construction gig would actually take me back to my roots at my very first real job.
May even get me the contacts I need to venture out on my own again in a new locale.
If me and the wife were working different schedules, it would be kind of weird.
Hell, we practically shared an office back in Kentucky.
The possibility of the Retail/Corporate gig would keep me in the AC, but under the microscope.
The Construction gig is working on garage doors, and entry doors.
Both easy work for me, I have literally done thousands of these - not kidding.
I could pick up extra work if I wanted the money - extra work at the corporate/retail gig will just be required and not pay anymore.
I just walked away from a salaried Corp. gig that I lost my entire summer to last year (12-14 hr days) and never compensated more than my 8hr salary.
Now, considering a Corp. gig that is going to require the same thing, and nights and weekends...
I'm not feeling so warm and fuzzy.
John, yes I remember what we discussed.
I just need to get some income right now, and work out the details later.
Not that I'm hurting, but two house payments can only last for a little while.
It's cutting into boat money.

rainmn
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I've worked some corporate retail jobs years back (Cell phone industry), and have now been working a straight up corporate job for the last 13 years....

Take the construction job.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 09:36 PM
What he said. Evenings and weekends are a deal breaker for me.

I know you're in the elevator biz.
Ever heard of JAZ elevator out here in Phoenix area??
They had a listing for what would be a dream job for me about a week ago.
I haven't heard anything back.
A bump would be certainly appreciated if you have a contact.
Feel free to PM me.

Tony
04-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Buy a 6 pack, uhh better make that a 12, stop by the movie store and rent: Office Space, Harrold and Kumar go to White Castle, and He was a Quiet Man.

Do what is natural to you. My future wife is a white collar worker, and there is no fukin way in hell I could ever picture myself in that environment 5 or more days per week. In my world a sharp jolt to the shoulder followed by "quit fukin off and get busy" is an embarrassing motivator not a harassment suit.

Dude! Sweet!
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I got here at 7:00 this morning and I'm still here... My sh*t pile got bigger not smaller... White collar jobs are the last bastion of acceptable employee abuse in America. The only difference between a factory job and a desk job these days are the odds of being killed by a machine are lower, but the odds of dying young of some stress or obesity related illness are higher.

Chris
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I would rather work twice the hours and twice as hard for half the pay and guide my own destiny.

My kids- one in college, one goes in the fall. Since they're babies, I've told them this over and over... never allow yourself to be in the postion of someone taking your livelihood away from you arbitrarily. Do something you enjoy, but be damn sure the world can't function without it.

ROGUE
04-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Ive done both, and now have a nice mixture of the 2 but in the long run, I prefer going home with some sense of satisfaction of having done a good job that day. The construction one does that, the corporate one doesnt. In the corp life, most of my time was spent paper pushing and cya with little real accomplishment, very little to see at the end of the day, and the pressure and work goes home with you. The construction job, you go in, do your stuff to the best of your ability, go home seeing something that you did and are hopefully proud of, and dont think about it again. If money is similar and you are healthy enough to handle it, Id do the construction in a flash. I spend most of my time in the field now and its a good thing, I hate being in the office too much.

cuda
04-29-2009, 03:11 AM

Being hungry sucks worse, unless you are on the gubmit t!t.

cuda
04-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Its funny that you bring this up Tim, I was cleaning the bilge of the boat the other day and all of the sudden, out of no where, I was like "Am I really going to be able to deal with doing my f*cking current job for the next 20 years..."

20 years from now, you will be thankful for any f*cking job IF you're lucky enough to have one, and you'll be lucky not to have address him as Commissar.

I always knew I was living during the last true golden years. You younger people get off your butts and please prove me wrong. Who's going to do THAT for you? Your representatives???????????????

Sorry Dude, not intended at you.

cuda
04-29-2009, 03:27 AM
I would rather work twice the hours and twice as hard for half the pay and guide my own destiny.

My kids- one in college, one goes in the fall. Since they're babies, I've told them this over and over... never allow yourself to be in the postion of someone taking your livelihood away from you arbitrarily. Do something you enjoy, but be damn sure the world can't function without it.

I've had a damn good run for myself for the past 25 years. It may be picking yp, or it may be slashing price, but I did the same amount of jobs last month, as I did all year in 2008. I think it's due to pricing. Hell, I'd rather make 70% of what I worked for 25 years ago, than 0%.

What am I going to do? Wait it out, or learn to be a bagger at Walmart. I have always said, if I go broke it's my own damn fault. But I just have a heard time getting used to the smell of somebody elses butt.

Sure I went to college four years, before I decided I was majoring in drinking, with a minor in astronomy. I was taking up space, besides I had one college algrebra class where we had seven tests, and I made seven 100's. That's the only one that springs to mind, but just could see paying someone to teach me that I had already learned in high school.

ChiefApache
04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
What does your gut tell you Buoy???

Personally, I've done the direct report and while I'd do it again, it's not everything it is cracked up to be.

Do you want to sit behind a desk all evening/weekends while your wife sits home alone?

The thing with construction is it can take you to other places....project manager, etc down the road, so there is room for growth if you push yourself to grow.

Money is not a ruling factor. I'd rather make $40,000 doing what I love than make $100,000 doing what I hate. Most of our time is spent working......find something you love, othewise you hate dragging yourself out of bed in the morning.

Magic Medicine
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
the construction gig sounds better to me. working nights and weekends kills the retail for me

txriverrat2001
04-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Do what you love - or something along those lines that will lead you to the job you REALLY want. I really like working on boats - but unfortunately at my age and current lifestyle, wrenchin wouldn't allow me to keep up the current pace - so the car biz is next in line ..... once the kids get out of college and a couple of other things are paid for I will go back to what I love.

You're young - do what you love to do.

Ratickle
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Life is always choices. You're the only one who can answer your own question.

Make a list of pros and cons for today.....

Make a list for pros and cons of where you want to be in ??? number of years - (you and your wifes timetables).

It will jump out at you.

Good luck.:)

Dude! Sweet!
04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I never bought into that "do what you love" as your job thing... I know a guy who's a sports agent. He played the sport his clients play his entire life. He hates it now. Can't stand to watch it. I'd hate to think that I'd take something I love and turn it into something I hate because I have to do it to feed my family instead of because I want to do it for enjoyment...

That's one of my favorite things about my job, it's so easy to hate and doesn't ruin anything I'd ever do for fun... :D

Chris
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
There are different interpretations on the "do what you love" thing. Hobbies are just that- things you do for a certain type of personal satisfaction. Take for example golf. Many people like to get out for an afternoon with friends for a game. But for a pro golfer, I'm certain it's a very deliberate, very organized experience every time they hit the course. It's a profession and a business and a whole different set of pressures and expectations.

I do what I love. But none of what I do professionally is anything I'd do with my pals. I get a great deal of satisfaction from being good at what I do and from the accomplishments that I achieve. And those come in different forms. But none of them are things I'd do for recreation or entertainment.

Lastly- and I went through this with my son recently- no matter what you do, if it doesn't generate an income that covers your living expenses and provides for your family, that professional satisfaction will be miniscule in comparison to the overall unhappiness you'll be living with.

fund razor
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I never bought into that "do what you love" as your job thing... I know a guy who's a sports agent. He played the sport his clients play his entire life. He hates it now. Can't stand to watch it. I'd hate to think that I'd take something I love and turn it into something I hate because I have to do it to feed my family instead of because I want to do it for enjoyment...

Ultimately this is what pushed me out of the music business. Almost ruined music for me. Took years to be able to enjoy music without deconstruction the production in my mind.

On the other hand, I love what I do now professionally. I have no problem making the 40 minute drive to work.

DonziGirl
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't want to work the evenings and weekends. How are you supposed to boat when you've got those hours!?

Buoy
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Buy a 6 pack, uhh better make that a 12, stop by the movie store and rent: Office Space, Harrold and Kumar go to White Castle, and He was a Quiet Man.

Do what is natural to you. My future wife is a white collar worker, and there is no fukin way in hell I could ever picture myself in that environment 5 or more days per week. In my world a sharp jolt to the shoulder followed by "quit fukin off and get busy" is an embarrassing motivator not a harassment suit.

When I went into the White Collar corporate gig, I had the hardest time dealing with lazy-azzes and phuck-offs because of HR, you couldn't do anything that would sink in.
This was a far cry from what I was used to where it was perfectly acceptable, if not expected, to chuck a 2x4 at somebody for doing something stupid.

I spoke with the office gal at the construction gig this morning, and she said I'm the only one that has called that meets both qualifications.
I sent off a resume a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think you're all telling me what I already knew, just needed a nudge.

Dude! Sweet!
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Ride it out and boom down brother! :D

Bobcat
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
construction is fun, i gotta scream at these two a- holes everyday, then they mouth off, boy are they surprised at how fast a 250 pound guy can climb 3 stories of scaffolding, then they behave the rest of the day:reddevil::D

Buoy
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I had almost 15 yrs in construction, there was a lot about it that I really liked, winter was not one of them though.
I guess I'm not going to have that problem here.
The funny thing is I'm looking to go back to doing exactly what I started doing in this field.
And back then, all I wanted to do was learn more and move "up" in the industry.
Well, I learned alot.
I learned that I had it pretty easy back then, and that if you work the angles you can actually make some pretty good money.

cuda
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Ultimately this is what pushed me out of the music business. Almost ruined music for me. Took years to be able to enjoy music without deconstruction the production in my mind.

On the other hand, I love what I do now professionally. I have no problem making the 40 minute drive to work.

Welcome to what drove me from math.

cuda
04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't want to work the evenings and weekends. How are you supposed to boat when you've got those hours!?

Same way ya boat when ya hungry...............you don't.:26:

cuda
04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
construction is fun, i gotta scream at these two a- holes everyday, then they mouth off, boy are they surprised at how fast a 250 pound guy can climb 3 stories of scaffolding, then they behave the rest of the day:reddevil::D

I told a big helper I would tie a piece of chalk to his azz, then come back an hour later to see if he moved. He did. :)

cuda
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I had almost 15 yrs in construction, there was a lot about it that I really liked, winter was not one of them though.
I guess I'm not going to have that problem here.
The funny thing is I'm looking to go back to doing exactly what I started doing in this field.
And back then, all I wanted to do was learn more and move "up" in the industry.
Well, I learned alot.
I learned that I had it pretty easy back then, and that if you work the angles you can actually make some pretty good money.

What's winter?

Buoy
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
What's winter?

That's what I'm saying these days:)

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Winter is that time of year when it's cool enough to forget to put sun screen on some days... :D

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Its funny. I had lunch yesterday with a guy who I used to work with... He got ridden out of my company for being an "underperformer" and so he started his own gig... He just bout a 6300 square foot house in Malibu... If you're wondering what that looks like, check out Boatme's avitar or reference your old "Decisions" poster, with the Ferrari, Porsche and Lambo...

Anyhow, he's all over me to find an "exit strategy". It's funny he said the same thing Chris did. Don't let someone else ever be in the posistion of arbitrarily costing you your livelyhood...

I'm considering becominging a freelance fluffer... :D

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
On further consideration, if I had a choice between two jobs, I'd take the blow job!

Buoy
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, I just got the call 30 mins ago that they want to hire me at the job I don't really want.

I haven't got a call back yet on the other gig I was looking into.

Need to have something, so I guess I'm going tomorrow to pee in a cup, and get the skinny on what they are offering.
Push it off until Monday to make a decision.

And then keep looking, or devise my own new gig for myself.
Hard to try to do that now with no income, and two house pmts.

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Just as long as you don't have to be at your new job next Friday, boomer... :D

Buoy
04-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Just as long as you don't have to be at your new job next Friday, boomer... :D

I already planned on negotiating that into the dealio.
Not letting that one get by me.
I'm getting in one good weekend before the hell schedule starts.
Expecting an accomplice or two in my endeavor.

fund razor
04-30-2009, 07:24 PM

I wondered when you would be inviting Daryl out. :)

MacGyver
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
What's winter?

That's what I'm saying these days:)

:boxing_smiley:

Buoy
04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I wondered when you would be inviting Daryl out. :)

Miss him already don't you??

Buoy
04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
:boxing_smiley:

Was working on the boat for awhile today, and decided to get into the shade for a bit, and finish up what I was doing later...:leaving:

ChiefApache
05-01-2009, 08:41 AM

Oh boy.....this sounds like trouble for sure!!! Will there be drunk dialing??:sifone:

Buoy
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh boy.....this sounds like trouble for sure!!! Will there be drunk dialing??:sifone:

It's a possibility:26:

Dude! Sweet!
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM

That assumes we'll be able to operate a phone! Ha ha ha...

ChiefApache
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Just watch Buoy...don't let him pass out before 9PM.....EST!!!!!:sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
05-01-2009, 04:29 PM
This is just a quick trip out for a few hours anyhow... So it won't be TOO messy. Call it a practice run! :D

MarylandMark
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
boy are they surprised at how fast a 250 pound guy can climb 3 stories of scaffolding

I'd give ya 30 minutes before 10AM and add 10 minutes every hour after...

On further consideration, if I had a choice between two jobs, I'd take the blow job!

That so didn't sound right the 1st time I read it...

---------------

2 things in life you need are a job you don't mind or maybe even like (NOT your hobby) and a good mattress.

8 hours a day at work
8 hours a day in bed (or so they say..)

So 2/3 of your life you are in bed or at work; better have a good mattress and a good job.

The other 1/3 is for goofing off and boating so do the 1st 2 right and that will work out as well.

Dude! Sweet!
05-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I like that, except that I work 15 hours a day and sleep 5 hours a day, the other 4 hours I'm driving or in the crapper!

fund razor
05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
2 things in life you need are a job you don't mind or maybe even like (NOT your hobby) and a good mattress.

8 hours a day at work

So 2/3 of your life you are in bed or at work; better have a good mattress and a good job.

The other 1/3 is for goofing off and boating so do the 1st 2 right and that will work out as well.

You are a genius. Sort of.

Buoy
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Just got back from my "pee-in-a-cup" test.
So, now that thats over, the party is on!

fund razor
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Oh chit.

Buoy
05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh chit.

No,
They speci-fecally said just pee.

cuda
05-01-2009, 08:00 PM

It won't pay you nearly as well, but I'll try you out.:eek:

cuda
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, I just got the call 30 mins ago that they want to hire me at the job I don't really want.

I haven't got a call back yet on the other gig I was looking into.

Need to have something, so I guess I'm going tomorrow to pee in a cup, and get the skinny on what they are offering.
Push it off until Monday to make a decision.

And then keep looking, or devise my own new gig for myself.
Hard to try to do that now with no income, and two house pmts.

Take the first job offered. I found out selling anything (even your skillz) generally the first offer will be your best offer.

fund razor
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
No,
They speci-fecally said just pee.

Nice. I am eating, but nice.

cuda
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I like that, except that I work 15 hours a day and sleep 5 hours a day, the other 4 hours I'm driving or in the crapper!

If you could get paid to be a smart azz, I'd already be a billionare.
I found it's not rare a talent.

Bobcat
05-01-2009, 10:34 PM

was it distance or accuracy ? :sifone:

Bobcat
05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I'd give ya 30 minutes before 10AM and add 10 minutes every hour after...

That so didn't sound right the 1st time I read it...

---------------

8 hours a day at work

I have pic of you, don't make me use it:sifone:

Ratickle
05-01-2009, 10:35 PM

I heard volume....

Bobcat
05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I heard volume....

I'm gonna need a bigger cup

cuz I spray a bit:26:

Bobcat
05-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I heard volume....

I feel bass

Dude! Sweet!
05-02-2009, 01:51 AM
It won't pay you nearly as well, but I'll try you out.:eek:

Cuda, you seem like a good dude, I wouldn't want to choke you and shoot off in your eye! :D

Dude! Sweet!
05-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I feel bass

Why don't you leave the fish alone and stick with drunk college girls Bobby, you're underselling yourself!

And for the record, I'll go up against anyone INCLUDING Peter North if were being graded on distance!

fund razor
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM

lol. :D

Buoy
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Technique.

cuda
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Technique.

Are there three doctors there holding up score cards?

cuda
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Cuda, you seem like a good dude, I wouldn't want to choke you and shoot off in your eye! :D

I'd hate to show you the other end of that little thing too.:26:

Buoy
05-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Are there three doctors there holding up score cards?

They did it more like American Idol.

For the record, I've never watched the show.

cuda
05-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight either.:sifone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWWyufIuVI4

fund razor
05-02-2009, 12:32 PM

This is disturbing on so many levels.:ack2:

Dude! Sweet!
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Many are called, few answer... :D

I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day!

Dude! Sweet!
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
And sorry about high "jacking" your thread, Tim!

Buoy
05-02-2009, 01:33 PM
And sorry about high "jacking" your thread, Tim!

I would have to be the absolute LAST person on this board that deserves an apology for a Hi-Jack.
I've been known to Hi-Jack my own threads, let alone how guilty I am of others threads.

phragle
05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
this one time...at band camp....I.....

phragle
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
hijacking is an art form, so do it effortlessly with flair... while others struggle valiantly to achieve the epic fail.

cuda
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not really comfortable around all this talk about choking and jacking.

It's more acceptable on the other coast.:26:

Buoy
05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
hijacking is an art form, so do it effortlessly with flair... while others struggle valiantly to achieve the epic fail.

I think it may be the only thing I learned in school.
Anytime I was in trouble for something, I just hijacked the conversation to something else that got us discussing something far away from whatever my infraction was.
It comes naturally.

cuda
05-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I think it may be the only thing I learned in school.
Anytime I was in trouble for something, I just hijacked the conversation to something else that got us discussing something far away from whatever my infraction was.
It comes naturally.

That in itself is an form of genuis,:)

phragle
05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
that is the artform of politics....before greed sets in...

fund razor
05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
That in itself is an form of genuis,:)

Form of dance, maybe.... not form of genius. :)

Bobcat
05-02-2009, 03:57 PM
well, at least the discussion hasn't turned to s h i t,(literally):ack2:

Dude! Sweet!
05-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Yet... :D

Buoy
05-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Allow us some time to "digest" that.

Buoy
05-02-2009, 09:04 PM

It is a form of dance, consider it art, similar to the martial arts.
You must read the person you are dancing with, and react accordingly to always take the lead.

Bobcat
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
It is a form of dance, consider it art, similar to the martial arts.
You must read the person you are dancing with, and react accordingly to always take the lead.

unless it is the cops:dupe:

Buoy
05-02-2009, 10:07 PM

If it's the cops,
You must act quickly, to overt the situation at hand - before it gets out of hand.
If you are asked to place your hands behind your back, it's already over.
I've only had that happen 4-5 times.
The other 20'ish times, I had the ability to avert the situation before it reached that level.
Those guys don't usually have much of a sense of humor.

Ratickle
05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
If it's the cops,
You must act quickly, to overt the situation at hand - before it gets out of hand.
The other 20'ish times, I had the ability to avert the situation before it reached that level.

So that's a total of approx 25 times the cops have been discussing you and a nice ride in their backseat with you?????:ack2:

You must hang with Bobcat too much......:)

phragle
05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
If it's the cops,

lucky you..I usually end up face down on the ground with guns drawn...

cuda
05-03-2009, 08:03 AM

Like two snakes doing a mating dance?

cuda
05-03-2009, 08:05 AM

They take the lead in every dance routine, especially when they get out that baton took keep the beat.:eek:

fund razor
05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Like two snakes doing a mating dance?

No, two dancers..... one snake.
Maybe it will help if you picture Bill Clinton. :)

cuda
05-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I've only gotten the ride twice. Once for Dui, and once for aggravated assault. :eek:

At least I got my money's worth both times. :)

fund razor
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
If it's the cops,

Zero for me. And I have been stopped doing all kinds of things.
Random sampling: All bad things that your children should be warned not to do.

-Driving the wrong way down Washington St. leaving the Bijou after a gig with a truckfull of drums and a belly full of Molson Ice. I explain that, because I came from the alley, and when looking both ways saw the flashing traffic signals with lights in all four directions, and wondering if it was one way looked for a sign and found none..... they bought it, turned it around and drove it home.

-I-475 and I-75 (20 years old) driving a Mazda Rx7 about 100 miles an hour using all three lanes in the turn, leaving that bar The Coach House in Cricket West with a third hatchback passenger in a two seater car. Had me stand on one foot and count backwards from 30. Something that I used to practice when it was popular. Anyway.... he let me go (even with a third person.) But this was like 1986.

-Rossford 1993 or 4, just past the railroad tracks heading into town from I-75, cross the tracks at maybe 45 at 2:00 in the morning. Both of my passengers, nervous... lit smokes. Cop approached and said "why did everybody just light a cigarette." I said, they did, I didn't... I am giving them a ride home here to Rossford, as they have been drinking. And he says "you don't smoke?" and I said, "drink either, or I would still be home in bed."
He let me go.

-Various acts of pugilism in various drinking establishments. (also younger days) The trick here, is to fight fast. So either the staff doesn't realize, or you can finish up and be gone when the cops come.

-I-75 in Rockwood Michigan, heading to Windsor. New Year's Day.
Stop for 90 in the RX7.
Cops says where are you going? "We are going to Canada to make our resolutions so that if we break them, we are out of jurisdiction" He had never heard THAT one before, and off we went. He said "why do you have a radar detector?" I explained that I thought that it looked cool, and if it had been on, I would have slowed down and we would have never met. Sounded logical to him.

-Once almost blew Sgt. Richard Murphy off of the dock at Portside when he kicked us out for arguing with a dingy that had tied up behind our boat in a slip that we had reserved in Feb. How were we to know that the outdrive was up? We evaded the harbor patrol until like 3am by running the opposite way of the marina, but Sgt. Murphy, sense of humor intact, delivered a ticket for "reckless op on a waterway" to my buddy the next day at his home.

Same buddy.... being not such a good dancer... was once listed in the arrest account in the newspaper as "man, wearing only shorts." :D

phragle
05-03-2009, 08:35 AM
when the police helicopter flies over repeatedly, shinning the spot light down on you...never EVER shine you 5 gigawatt handheld spotlight at it... for in less then 3 minutes the entire orange county police dept will come flying into the bars parkinglot...several cops will then point guns at you while several other cops will first toss you 6 feet in the air, then slam you on the ground face first while attewmpting to dislocate your thumbs. you will then have a knee in the back of the head.. you will then have several public servants kicking and hitting you for a few minutes. then they will tell you what a stupid thing you did before letting you go

Dude! Sweet!
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Ah phrangle, I see you've been to Huntington Beach! :D